About the NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12
Wi-Fi coverage that goes faster and farther
Wi-Fi coverage that goes faster and farther
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 offers faster Wi-Fi speeds, broader coverage, and features that make it work more efficiently for your needs. Hidden away inside the router's "wings" are eight antennas that broadcast twelve fast streams of strong, secure dual-band Wi-Fi. It's an excellent choice for streaming, gaming, and internet access in a very large home.
Multiple streams, no waiting
Eight-stream MU-MIMO (multi-user, multi-input, multi-output) allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices, so everyone in a large home can access the internet at the same time. Each of the eight streams takes on a portion of your home's overall wireless traffic, reducing or eliminating lag and buffering.
We like to use a grocery store analogy: your old router may be like the store that only has one or two lanes open, leading to long, slow lines. The AX12 has 12 lanes open, staffed with speedy, accurate checkers who keep the lanes clear and the customers happy.
Speaking of speed and accuracy, the AX12 is also compatible with the most up-to-date wireless standard, known as Wi-Fi 6.
What is Wi-Fi 6?
Instead of defaulting to the established alpha-numeric designation for the latest Wi-Fi standard (802.11ax), the Wi-Fi Alliance that governs wireless standards is rebranding to a simpler and cleaner naming system. This is the sixth iteration of Wi-Fi, so the new standard will be known simply as Wi-Fi 6. Older versions will be retroactively renamed in the following way:
- Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax (2019)
- Wi-Fi 5: 802.11ac (2014)
- Wi-Fi 4: 802.11n (2009)
You get the idea. Wi-Fi 6 offers some clear advantages: speeds up to 10Gbps and multiple simultaneous streams make it faster and more efficient than previous standards. It also consumes less power, so your battery-operated devices can last longer.
These days, we're making wireless connections with just about everything we use. TVs, phones, media streamers, smart home gadgets, and many items you may not even think about are competing for bandwidth. Wi-Fi 6 is designed to keep all that traffic moving in a quick and orderly fashion.
Easy installation and voice control
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR Nighthawk app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard on your computer or mobile device. And once you have it all set up the way you like, you can issue voice commands to your router via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices.
This router offers tough WPA3™ (Wi-Fi Protected Access®) encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. It also includes double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see. If you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) wireless router
- backwards compatible with Wi-Fi 1-5 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac)
- eight high-performance internal antennas provide excellent wireless coverage for large properties
- 12-stream AX6000 dual-band Wi-Fi (1200+4800 Mbps)
- 2.5 GHz x 4 @ 1.2 Gbps
- 5 GHz x 8 @ 4.8 Gbps
- powerful 64-bit 2.2GHz quad-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- Nighthawk app helps with setup and enables remote monitoring and control of the router
- compatible with voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices
- bandwidth can be prioritized for online gaming, streaming videos, or high-res music
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for each connected device
- dynamic QoS (quality of service) lets you choose which devices get priority for wireless signal
- Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) increases network capacity and efficiency through smarter traffic scheduling
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- eight-stream MU-MIMO allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices
- ReadyCLOUD® USB Access allows secure remote cloud access to USB storage
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- 5G/2.5G/1G Multi-Gig Ethernet LAN port
- two USB 3.0 ports
- WPA3™ (Wi-Fi Protected Access®) encryption
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- separate and secure access for houseguests
- robust parental controls help keep kids safe online
Dimensions and warranty:
- 12-1/4"W x 1-13/16"H x 7-1/2"D (without "wings")
- weight: 3 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RAX120-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Advanced WiFi router
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
- "Update the Firmware" note
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12
Features & specs
|Wireless Range||Not given|
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 6|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Dual-Band 6.0 Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||1200 Mbps|
|5.2GHz band||4800 Mbps|
|USB 2.0 ports||N/A|
|USB 3.0 ports||2|
Ultra-Fast Quad-Core Processor: The Netgear Nighthawk AX120 (RAX120) employs an ultra-fast, 64bit / 2.2GHz quad-core processor, providing smoother 4K UHD streaming and online/VR gaming, as well as a stronger, more reliable WiFi experience. This powerful processor is optimized for AX, ensuring speed and performance for more smart home devices and high-speed applications.
8 High Performance Antennas: This next-generation router design conceals eight high-performance antennas under its "wings". The eight high performance antennas are optimally positioned for best WiFi performance, extending reliable and stronger WiFi coverage indoors and outdoors. Router signals are amplified to maximize reach and reliability, letting you use your WiFi in more places. Get stronger WiFi signals throughout your home, whether for your basement gaming consoles or for your outdoor security cameras.
802.11ax Dual Band WiFi: The NEGTEAR AX12 (RAX120) is equipped with next-generation 802.11ax dual-band 802.11ax WiFi gives you improved network capacity for more WiFi devices with uninterrupted 4K/8K streaming, Support for dual 2.4/5GHz WiFi simultaneously doubles the available bandwidth and provide a reliable, dedicated WiFi network for smooth online streaming and gaming without any network congestion. Its also backward compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi.
- 2.4GHz Band (802.11ax): up to 1.2Gbps
- 5GHz Band (802.11ax): up to 4.8Gbps
Smart Connect: Smart Connect selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password). That means that when you connect to the router with WiFi, you see only one SSID that connects to both bands.
OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access): The Nighthawk Series AX12 (RAX120) uses OFDMA to direct WiFi traffic much more efficiently, increasing network capacity even when multiple devices are connected to the network. Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) enables efficient data scheduling so that more transmissions can be sent at the same time, resulting in an impressive capacity increase in your network. This increased or available bandwidth allows you to add more devices to your network. Nighthawk AX12 supports uplink and downlink OFDMA to efficiently use air-time with better frequency reuse, reduced latency, and increased network efficiency. This is extremely useful for latency sensitive applications such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and Internet of things (IoT) sensors.
MU-MIMO (Multiple User-Multiple Input/Multiple Output): Twelve WiFi streams (four in the 2.4GHz band and eight in the 5GHz band) enables the router to send and receive more data from your network devices. Essentially, more spatial streams means more available bandwidth and less congestion for all the devices in the WiFi network. The Nighthawk AX12 also supports sending up to eight multi-user MIMO transmissions at a time; four more than the existing WiFi 5 (802.11ac) routers. As a result, you'll maintain fast and reliable wireless connections throughout your home, even when multiple devices are concurrently streaming high-definition content.
Multi-Gibait Ethernet Port: The Multi-Gigabit Ethernet port on the AX12 gives you 5x faster speeds than the wired speed of a typical Gigabit port. Your network attached storage (NAS) devices, switches, and other devices capable of 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps speeds can now operate at full capacity. Use the other four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports to connect more wired devices for faster file transfer and uninterrupted connections. Combine two gigabit Ethernet ports to further improve the aggregated file transfer speed. The Nighthawk AX12 is NETGEAR's first home router offering Multi-Gig speeds with 5G/2.5G/1G Multi-Gig Ethernet LAN port.
Dual USB-A 3.0 Ports: The two USB-A 3.0 ports on the Nighthawk AX12 (RAX120) can be used for faster backup and easy access to your stored media. USB 3.0 is up to 10x faster than USB 2.0.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- WPA3: The Nighthawk AX12 supports WPA3, the latest WiFi security protocol with new capabilities to enhance WiFi protection for your home network. Features such as improved password-based authentication and stronger encryption provide high-level of security for all connected devices on your network.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Supports Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0 or higher, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome 55 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, and Safari 10 or higher.
- Internet Connection: Broadband (cable, DSL) Internet service and modem with Ethernet connection.
AC Power Adapter: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 includes an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR WiFi Router can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top or it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
Firmware & Software Updates: Click here for the latest firmware & software updates from NETGEAR.
Voice Control: When you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google Assistant to send your network credentials to your Alexa or Google Home app, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. The following voice commands are supported -
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router
- Alexa or Ok Google, ask NETGEAR to send me my WiFi settings
- Before you enable your NETGEAR router to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you must download the The Nighthawk App for (Apple iOS 10.0+ & Android OS 4.2+), create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- You'll also need to enable the "NETGEAR Skill" within the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) or Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+).
- You can only have one digital voice assistant (Alexa or Google) activated.
Nighthawk App: The Nighthawk App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ & Android OS 4.2+) makes it easy and intuitive to setup and use the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 (RAX120) router. With the Nighthawk app, you can install your router using very few steps - just connect your mobile device to the default network, and the app will walk you through the rest. The app automatically updates the router to the latest firmware, allows you to personalize your WiFi network, and even help register your router with NETGEAR. At the end of installation, an easy to use overview screen provides quick way to see what your network credentials are so you don't have to write it down on a piece of paper. The overview screen also shows you all connected devices and links you to helpful support information related to your router.
Ready Share Access: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 (RAX120) allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through Ready Share
- Dual USB Ports w/ Ready Share: The USB 3.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives or hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on your extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD: Thanks to NETGEAR's ReadyCLOUD app, you get to enjoy personal and secure cloud access to USB storage devices connected to the Nighthawk Series WiFi Router anytime, anywhere from your Apple iOS 9.3+ device, Android OS 5.0+ smartphone/tablet, or a web portal on your Windows or Mac computer.
Backup Apps: Keep your content safe by using NETGEAR's ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadySHARE Vault (for Windows PC): NETGEAR ReadySHARE Vault is a free software for automatic Windows PC backup to a USB hard drive connected to the router. You can schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage.
- Time Machine (for Mac): You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
1 question already asked