About the NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12
Wi-Fi coverage that goes faster and farther
Wi-Fi coverage that goes faster and farther
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 offers faster Wi-Fi speeds, broader coverage, and features that make it work more efficiently for your needs. Hidden away inside the router's "wings" are eight antennas that broadcast twelve fast streams of strong, secure dual-band Wi-Fi. It's an excellent choice for streaming, gaming, and internet access in a very large home.
Multiple streams, no waiting
Eight-stream MU-MIMO (multi-user, multi-input, multi-output) allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices, so everyone in a large home can access the internet at the same time. Each of the eight streams takes on a portion of your home's overall wireless traffic, reducing or eliminating lag and buffering.
We like to use a grocery store analogy: your old router may be like the store that only has one or two lanes open, leading to long, slow lines. The AX12 has 12 lanes open, staffed with speedy, accurate checkers who keep the lanes clear and the customers happy.
Speaking of speed and accuracy, the AX12 is also compatible with the most up-to-date wireless standard, known as Wi-Fi 6.
What is Wi-Fi 6?
Instead of defaulting to the established alpha-numeric designation for the latest Wi-Fi standard (802.11ax), the Wi-Fi Alliance that governs wireless standards is rebranding to a simpler and cleaner naming system. This is the sixth iteration of Wi-Fi, so the new standard will be known simply as Wi-Fi 6. Older versions will be retroactively renamed in the following way:
- Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax (2019)
- Wi-Fi 5: 802.11ac (2014)
- Wi-Fi 4: 802.11n (2009)
You get the idea. Wi-Fi 6 offers some clear advantages: speeds up to 10Gbps and multiple simultaneous streams make it faster and more efficient than previous standards. It also consumes less power, so your battery-operated devices can last longer.
These days, we're making wireless connections with just about everything we use. TVs, phones, media streamers, smart home gadgets, and many items you may not even think about are competing for bandwidth. Wi-Fi 6 is designed to keep all that traffic moving in a quick and orderly fashion.
Easy installation and voice control
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR Nighthawk app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard on your computer or mobile device. And once you have it all set up the way you like, you can issue voice commands to your router via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices.
This router offers tough WPA3™ (Wi-Fi Protected Access®) encryption that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal. It also includes double firewall protection and a stiff defense against denial-of-service (DoS) attacks. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to filter out content you don't want them to see. If you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) wireless router
- backwards compatible with Wi-Fi 1-5 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac)
- eight high-performance internal antennas provide excellent wireless coverage for large properties
- 12-stream AX6000 dual-band Wi-Fi (1200+4800 Mbps)
- 2.5 GHz x 4 @ 1.2 Gbps
- 5 GHz x 8 @ 4.8 Gbps
- powerful 64-bit 2.2GHz quad-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- Nighthawk app helps with setup and enables remote monitoring and control of the router
- compatible with voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices
- bandwidth can be prioritized for online gaming, streaming videos, or high-res music
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for each connected device
- dynamic QoS (quality of service) lets you choose which devices get priority for wireless signal
- Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) increases network capacity and efficiency through smarter traffic scheduling
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- eight-stream MU-MIMO allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices
- ReadyCLOUD® USB Access allows secure remote cloud access to USB storage
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- 5G/2.5G/1G Multi-Gig Ethernet LAN port
- two USB 3.0 ports
- WPA3™ (Wi-Fi Protected Access®) encryption
- double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- separate and secure access for houseguests
- robust parental controls help keep kids safe online
Dimensions and warranty:
- 12-1/4"W x 1-13/16"H x 7-1/2"D (without "wings")
- weight: 3 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RAX120-100NAS
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12