About the NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12
Tri-band Wi-Fi coverage that goes faster and farther
Tri-band Wi-Fi coverage that goes faster and farther
This is one seriously impressive router. It offers blazing fast Wi-Fi, broad coverage, and special features that make it work more efficiently in a busy household with lots of connected devices. Hidden away inside the router's "wings" are eight antennas that broadcast twelve fast streams of strong, secure tri-band Wi-Fi. It's optimized for Ultra HD streaming.
Multiple streams, no waiting
Eight-stream MU-MIMO (multi-user, multi-input, multi-output) allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices, so everyone in a large home can access the internet at the same time. Each of the eight streams takes on a portion of your home's overall wireless traffic, reducing or eliminating lag and buffering.
We like to use a grocery store analogy: your old router may be like the store that only has one or two lanes open, leading to long, slow lines. The AX12 has 12 lanes open, staffed with speedy, accurate checkers who keep the lanes clear and the customers happy.
A capable network multi-tasker
Built-in Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) allows efficient simultaneous data transmission to multiple connected devices. That makes this router especially useful for latency-sensitive applications such as cooperative gaming, virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and smart home devices.
Easy installation and voice control
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. Once you've plugged in a few cables, use the single-button Push ‘N' Connect function to connect your Wi-Fi quickly. The NETGEAR Nighthawk app lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard on your computer or mobile device. And once you have it all set up the way you like, you can issue voice commands to your router via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices.
This router offers 128-bit AES encryption with PSK. And if you're one of the growing number of people who occasionally works from home, the Nighthawk offers a strong, secure VPN connection as well.
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) wireless router
- backward-compatible with earlier generations of Wi-Fi
- eight high-performance internal antennas provide excellent wireless coverage for large properties
- 12-stream AX11000 dual-band Wi-Fi (1200+4800+4800 Mbps)
- 2.5 GHz x 4 @ 1.2 Gbps
- two 5 GHz x 4 @ 4.8 Gbps
- powerful 64-bit 1.8GHz quad-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- Nighthawk app helps with setup and enables remote monitoring and control of the router
- compatible with voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for each connected device
- supports Gigabit Wi-Fi connections with 160MHz-enabled mobile devices and laptops
- Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) increases network capacity and efficiency through smarter traffic scheduling
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- eight-stream MU-MIMO allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices
- Readyshare® USB Access allows secure remote cloud access to USB storage
- four 10/100/1000 LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- one 2.5G/1Gbps multi-gig Ethernet WAN port
- one 2.5G/1G multi-gig Ethernet LAN port
- two USB 3.0 ports
- 128-bit AES encryption with PSK
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- separate and secure access for houseguests
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-3/4"W x 3-1/8"H x 8-5/16"D
- weight: 3.2 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RAX200-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Advanced WiFi router
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- 58" Ethernet cable
- Quick Start Guide
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk® AX12
Features & specs
|Wireless Range||Not given|
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 6|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Tri-Band 10.8 Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||1200 Mbps|
|5.2GHz band||4800 Mbps|
|5.8GHz band||4800 Mbps|
|USB 2.0 ports||N/A|
|USB 3.0 ports||2|
WiFi 6 (802.11ax): The NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) Router uses the latest WiFi 6 (802.11ax) standard to provide 4x increased data capacity to handle more devices on your growing network. Power your smarthome devices, stream ultra-smooth 4K UHD streaming, game online, and more with blazing-fast combined WiFi speeds up to 10.8Gbps. WiFi 6 allows more devices to connect and stream simultaneously, without impacting speed or reliability, by scheduling up to 12 streams at once and efficiently packing and scheduling data. This results in the fastest WiFi available to all your network connected devices. WiFi 6 (802.11ax) is also backwards compatible with previous 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi standards.
64-Bit/1.8GHz Quad-Core Processor: The Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 (RAX200) router's powerful WiFi 6 optimized 64-bit/1.8GHz quad-core processor is designed to handle all the traffic and transfer multi-gigs of data efficiently. This powerful processor is optimized for WiFi 6 (802.11ax) making intelligent spontaneous decisions to schedule data traffic to maximize WiFi Bandwidth utilization. As a reslut you can enjoy smoother Ultra-HD 4K/8K video streaming, as well as low latency VR and online gaming.
Tri-Band: The Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) is one of the fastest routers for Gigabit internet with combined speeds up to 10.8GBPS. Tri-band WiFi optimizes speeds across the three WiFi bands ensureing that your fast WiFi stays fast and can efficiently handle multiple devices connected to the network. Gigabit speeds over Tri-Band WiFi can support far more data simultaneously, making it possible to stream music in the kitchen, 4K video in the living room and multi-player online gaming without a hiccup.
- 2.4GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40MHz, up to 1.2Gbps
- 5GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps
- 5GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps
8 High-Performance Antennas: The Nighhawk Series Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) is otufitted with eight high-performance antennas (concealed under its "wings") that extend your WiFi wireless network range indoors and out. The antennas are pre-optimized for best WiFi performance and the router signals are amplified to maximize reach and reliability, letting you use your WiFi in more places. As a result, you'll get stronger WiFi signals throughout your home, whether for your basement gaming console or for your outdoor security cameras.
Smart Connect: Smart Connect selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password). That means that when you connect to the router with WiFi, you see only one SSID that connects to both bands.
12 WiFi Streams: More WiFi streams provide more available bandwidth and less congestion for all the devices in the WiFi network. Since separate data signals can be sent to and from your devices on different streams, the amount of information that can be sent over your network greatly increases. The powerful Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) router provides eight streams of 5GHz and four streams of 2.4GHz connectivity giving you a superior WiFi performance for Ultra HD streaming, low latency gaming and all your smart home devices.
4x4 MU-MIMO (5GHz): Using 4X4 MU-MIMO technology, the NETGEAR router can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. Quad Stream on both 5GHz bands gives you the fastest WiFi speeds combined with MU-MIMO capability allows you to simultaneously stream to multiple devices at the same time. Thanks to Quad Stream, up to four data streams per WiFi 5GHz band maximizes connection speed. 8 WiFi streams (four in each 5GHz band) offer 4x the device capacity as compared to typical 2x2 AC WiFi. More WiFi streams per band greatly increases the amount of data the router sends to and receives from devices because more bandwidth is available and there is less congestion for all the devices on the network. With reliable connections to all connected devices, now more devices than ever before can simultaneously be on your network.
Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access): The Nighthawk Series Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) uses OFDMA to direct WiFi traffic much more efficiently, increasing network capacity even when multiple devices are connected to the network. Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) enables efficient data scheduling so that more transmissions can be sent at the same time, resulting in an impressive capacity increase in your network. This increased or available bandwidth allows you to add more devices to your network. Nighthawk AX8 supports uplink and downlink OFDMA to efficiently use air-time with better frequency reuse, reduced latency, and increased network efficiency. This is extremely useful for latency sensitive applications such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and Internet of things (IoT) sensors
Six Gigabit Ports with Port Aggregation: Six Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports (1 WAN / 5 LAN) allow you to connect even more wired devices. The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. The Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) is one of the first routers to support WAN port aggregation, which allows for combining two gigabit Ethernet ports to deliver up to 2.5GHz of Internet speed to your home. Pair The Tri-Band AX (RAX200) router with a compatible NETGEAR cable modem (sold separately) supporting Multi-Gig internet speeds for the ultimate internet streaming experience.
Dual USB-A 3.0 Ports: The two USB-A 3.0 ports on the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) can be used for faster backup and easy access to your stored media. USB 3.0 is up to 10x faster than USB 2.0.
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections: Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Supports Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0 or higher, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome 55 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, and Safari 10 or higher.
- Internet Connection: Broadband (cable, DSL) Internet service and modem with Ethernet connection.
AC Power Adapter: The NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) includes an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR Tri-Band AX WiFi Router can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top or it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
Nighthawk App: The Nighthawk App for (Apple iOS 10.0+ & Android OS 4.2+) makes it easy and intuitive to setup and use the NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) router. With the Nighthawk app, you can install your router using very few steps - just connect your mobile device to the default network, and the app will walk you through the rest. The app automatically updates the router to the latest firmware, allows you to personalize your WiFi network, and even help register your router with NETGEAR. At the end of installation, an easy to use overview screen provides quick way to see what your network credentials are so you don't have to write it down on a piece of paper. The overview screen also shows you all connected devices and links you to helpful support information related to your router.
Ready Share Access: The NETGEAR Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200) allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through Ready Share
- Dual USB Ports w/ Ready Share: The USB 3.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives or hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the extender functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on your extender. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD: Thanks to NETGEAR's ReadyCLOUD app, you get to enjoy personal and secure cloud access to USB storage devices connected to the Nighthawk Series Smart WiFi Router anytime, anywhere from your Apple iOS 9.3+ device, Android OS 5.0+ smartphone/tablet, or a web portal on your Windows or Mac computer.
Backup Apps: Keep your content safe by using NETGEAR's ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadySHARE Vault (for Windows PC): NETGEAR ReadySHARE Vault is a free software for automatic Windows PC backup to a USB hard drive connected to the router. You can schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage.
- Time Machine (for Mac): You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
Firmware Updates: Click here for the latest firmware updates from NETGEAR. The router's firmware can be updated via the Nighthawk app.