About the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ Tri-band Wi-Fi 6E Router
Welcome to the super-fast lane
Welcome to the super-fast lane
Earlier tri-band routers offered a single band at 2.4 GHz, plus two 5 GHz bands. The NETGEAR Nighthawk™ tri-band Wi-Fi 6E router's third band is located in the recently opened, relatively uncluttered 6 GHz band. It's like driving on a highway with a regular-speed lane, a fast lane, and a super-fast lane with very little traffic. Plus, this router uses Wi-Fi 6 — the newest and most efficient Wi-Fi standard. That means it can deliver multi-gig speeds to multiple connected devices, with plenty of coverage for a large home or business.
Smart speed and clever connectivity
Four-stream MU-MIMO (multi-user, multi-input, multi-output) allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices, so everyone in a large home can access the internet at the same time. Each of the four streams takes on a portion of your home's overall wireless traffic, reducing or eliminating lag and buffering.
This router also offers Beamforming+, which boosts the speed, reliability and range of your Wi-Fi connection. And the router's AXE-optimized 1.8GHz quad-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity for glitch-free VR gaming and smooth streaming of 4K and 8K content.
Easy installation and tough security
NETGEAR routers are designed for easy installation. The Nighthawk app helps you with initial setup, then lets you monitor, control and troubleshoot your network from a convenient personal dashboard on your computer or mobile device. The app provides access to security measures that are designed to keep your information, and your family, safe.
The router is protected by tough 128-bit AES encryption with PSK that denies outsiders access to your wireless signal, and NETGEAR Armor™ offers additional tools and utilities that help keep you safe. If you have young ones in the house, use the router's parental controls to control their access, and filter out content you don't want them to see. The Nighthawk offers VPN support to keep your flow of information secure when you're working from home. (Subscription required for some advanced features.)
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) wireless router
- six high-performance internal antennas provide excellent wireless coverage for large homes
- 12-stream tri-band AXE11000 Wi-Fi
- 2.4 GHz @ 1.2 Gbps
- 5 GHz @ 4.8 Gbps
- 6 GHz @ 4.8 Gbps
- AXE-optimized 1.8GHz quad-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- Nighthawk app helps with setup and enables remote monitoring and control of the router
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- four-stream MU-MIMO allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- separate 2.5Gbps/1Gbps multi-gig port for an ultra-fast wired connection
- link aggregation lets you combine two WAN ports for faster file transfers
- two USB 3.0 ports
- 128-bit AES encryption with PSK
- separate and secure guest network for visitors
- NETGEAR Armor™ offers layers of protection:
- vulnerability assessment tool scans and identifies network security flaws
- antivirus and ransomware protection at home or on the go
- VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters
- robust parental controls help keep kids safe online
- subscription required for some advanced features
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-3/4"W x 3-1/8"H x 8-5/16"D (folded)
- weight: 3.2 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RAXE500-100NAS
What's in the box:
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ Tri-band Wi-Fi 6E Router owner's manual
- WiFi Router
- AC Power supply w/ attached 6' DC cord (19VDC/3.16A output)
- 78" CAT-5e cable
- Quickstart card
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Nighthawk™ Tri-band Wi-Fi 6E Router reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the NETGEAR Nighthawk™ Tri-band Wi-Fi 6E Router
Features & specs
|Wireless Range||Not given|
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 6E|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Tri-Band 10.8Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||1.2 Gbps|
|5.2GHz band||4.8 Gbps|
|5.8GHz band||4.8 Gbps (6Ghz)|
|USB 2.0 ports||N/A|
|USB 3.0 ports||2|
Overview: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AXE1100 (RAXE500) WiFi Router with simultaneous Dual-Band performance delivers combined WiFi speeds of up to 10.8Gbps. The AXE1100's powerful 64-bit, 1.8GHz quad-core processor gives you a high-performance networking engine for faster connections. Incorporating the latest WiFi 6 technology (802.11ax), the AXE1100 features proven high-performance while preventing lag spikes, drop outs, and high ping times for better 4K streaming, web-surfing, gaming, and more.
1.8GHz Quad-Core Processor: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AXE1100 utilizes a powerful 64-bit, 1.8GHz quad-core processor to separate processes and prioritize high performance WiFi connections to get maximum combined WiFi speeds of up to 10.8Gbps, with up to 12 streams available. 160MHz channel support lets you enjoy 1Gbps WiFi speeds for fast streaming and downloading on newer mobile devices.
WiFi 6E Support: The AXE110 includes a 6GHz WiFi band, supporting newer WiFi 6E devices. This provides faster speeds and less congestion with up to 200% more available spectrum than dual-band WiFi alone.
Tri-Band WiFi: Tri-band WiFi delivers up to 10.8Gbps combined WiFi speeds through three dedicated WiFi bands. All three WiFi bands can operate simultaneously and provide up to 4 separate streams in the 6GHz band, 4 separate streams in the 5GHz band, and 4 separate streams in the 2.4GHz band. Tri-band WiFi combined with the intelligence to segregate traffic based on WiFi speed provides the best performance for multiple WiFi devices in your home. Both bands are backwards compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi.
- 6GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256 QAM 20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps
- 5GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256 QAM 20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps
- 2.4GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256 QAM 20/40MHz, up to 1.2Gbps
IPv6: The AXE1100 supports Internet Protocol version 6 and can be configured as such.
Dynamic Quality of Service (QoS): QoS resolves internet traffic congestion when you have competing internet demands at home. QoS identifies your online activities by application and device, then utilizes bandwidth allocation and traffic prioritization techniques to automatically allocate more bandwidth to latency sensitive applications like online gaming and video streaming. This ensures that lower priority applications continue to work.
Smart Connect: Smart Connect automatically selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work, the 2.4GHz and both 5GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password). That means that when you connect to the router with WiFi, you see only one SSID that connects to both bands.
Beamforming+ (Explicit & Implicit): Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ (Explicit), the router actively tracks connected devices and directs power to the router antenna closest to the client device. With Beamforming+ (Implicit), the router can use information from client devices that support Implicit Beamforming for even greater WiFi speed, reliability, and range.
Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): MU-MIMO capability allows multiple MU-MIMO-compatible devices to simultaneously transfer data at the same time on the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Five Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN) allow you to connect multiple wired devices. The WAN port is used to connect your internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. This connection supports internet speeds up to 1Gbps and will be the most common connection type for most applications.
Internet Port Aggregation: If your ISP (Internet Service Provider) offers internet speeds faster than 1Gbps, the Internet (WAN) port and Ethernet (LAN) port 1 can be aggregated for faster service. Each port can support a speed of up to 1Gbps.
Note: Internet Port Aggregation requires a service provider with internet speeds over 1Gbps, and a modem that supports internet speeds over 1Gbps and features two Ethernet ports that support Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP).
Multi-Gig 2.5G/1G Port: The AXE1100 features a Multi-Gig port (RJ-45) that supports internet speeds up to 2.5Gbps, for connecting to a compatible modem that supports internet speeds faster than 1Gbps. If you set up the router for Internet Port Aggregation, the Multi-Gig port can also be used as an additional high-speed LAN port.
Ethernet Port Aggregation: Ethernet Port Aggregation lets you aggregate Ethernet (LAN) ports 3 & 4 on the AXE1100 to a compatible computer or device for faster file transfer speeds.
Note: To set up Ethernet Port Aggregation, the connected LAN device must be 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) compatible and feature 2 Ethernet ports that support port aggregation.
Nighthawk App: The Nighthawk App for iOS and Android devices makes it easy and intuitive to setup and use the NETGEAR Nighthawk AXE1100 router. With the Nighthawk app, you can install your router using very few steps - just connect your mobile device to the default network, and the app will walk you through the rest. The app automatically updates the router to the latest firmware, allows you to personalize your WiFi network, and even help register your router with NETGEAR. The intuitive Nighthawk app dashboard lets you monitor your home network from most anywhere, check broadband speeds from your service provider, pause the internet to any connected device, track internet data usage, and setup separate networks for guests.
Notes: You can still use the web-based installation wizard to install the router by visiting from your mobile device or a computer connected to the router.
NETGEAR Armor: NETGEAR Armor is an advanced cyber threat protection for your home network and all your connected devices (including computers, smartphones, and tablets). Download the NETGEAR Nighthawk App (for Apple iOS and Android) to activate NETGEAR Armor and receive real-time security updates. At the end of the free 1-year trial period, a $99.99 per year subscription covers all your connected devices. NETGEAR Armor empowers you to eliminate vulnerabilities or simply know the status of your home network and devices, anytime, anywhere. Get instant notifications when malicious threats are detected, block unknown devices from joining your home network or take action on vulnerabilities as they are discovered easily through the NETGEAR Nighthawk App.
- Online Security: A critical layer of online security, NETGEAR Armor actively safeguards you from cyber threats, such as ransomware, malware, botnets and more, by actively blocking known malicious sites and applications. Instant notifications warn you whenever you or someone in your family visit websites that may try to scam, infect or steal your personal information
- Vulnerability Checks: Hackers are constantly finding new ways to target devices, such as thermostats, lights, appliances, outlets and cameras that can lead to unauthorized access, data theft, or malicious attacks. NETGEAR Armor regularly scans all Internet connected devices to keep you safer from potential security vulnerabilities. Armor also checks for open ports, password strength, firmware versions, and other potential security weaknesses. Scanning is fast and with minimal impact on your system performance, since it occurs in the cloud to maximize power and efficiency.
- Device Protections: Advanced cyber-security on your WiFi router is good. Added security on your router, plus all your smartphones, tablets, and computers is even better. NETGEAR Armor comes with award winning Bitdefender cyber-security for all your Windows and macOS computers, as well as Android and Apple iOS devices. Take this extra security wherever you go, whether it be to your local cafe or on the road and knowing you have an extra layer of protection against cyber threats. To download BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, go to armor-install.com on the device you want to install local protection on.
Smart Parental Controls: NETGEAR's Smart Parental Controls lets you manage your family's internet time. Built into select NETGEAR WiFi routers and systems, Smart Parental Controls offer a number of ways to manage your children's online activity and promote good online habits. NETGEAR offers a free 30-day trial period, after which a Premium Subscription ($7.99/month, $69.99/year) will be required for most features.
- Free Features:
- Pause Internet: Lets you pause the internet when it's dinner time, study time, etc, and un-paused with the tap of a button.
- Create Profiles: Lets you create custom profiles for each family member and manage online time by individual.
- Premium Paid Subscription Features:
- Device Usage: Provides a detailed report of your child's internet usage across all their devices.
- Website History: See what sites have been visited and block any inappropriate sites.
- Content Filter: Lets you choose the most age-appropriate content filters. Pre-set filters can be customized.
- Time Limits: Set a time limit on gaming, social media, or streaming.
- Bedtime: Schedule custom bedtimes and encourage healthy sleep schedules.
- Rewards: Lets you reward good behavior with more available internet time.
- Off Time: Lets you set aside time for activities without having to confiscate your child's device.
- My Time App: The My Time app, available for iOS and Android, can be installed on your child's device, letting them see their screen time and time limits. The My Time app also ensures your internet rules apply even when they're connected to networks outside of home WiFi.
VPN: The AXE1100 router lets you create a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to securely access your network via the internet when you are not at home. The VPN feature must be enabled on the router and you must install and run VPN client software on the computer.
Voice Control: The AXE1100 lets you control you WiFi network with simple voice commands using an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant (sold separately) connected to the same network.
USB Port (ReadySHARE): Two USB 3.0 ports on the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as a flash drive, hard drive, or printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Computers, USB modems, CD drives, and DVD drives cannot be connected to the router's USB port.
Memory: The NETGEAR router features 512MB of NAND flash memory and 1GB of DDR3 SDRAM.
Antennas: The AXE1100 includes 8 high-performance antennas inside the router's fold-out "wings". The internal antennas are pre-optimized for the best WiFi performance.
Controls & Indicators: A top-panel WiFi button lets you power the WiFi radios On/Off. A second front-panel WPS button lets you connect to WPS-enabled devices. Corresponding LEDs in each button will light when that feature is active. The rear panel includes a main Power button, for turning the router On/Off, an LED On/Off switch, and a Reset button. Pressing the Reset button momentarily will reset the router, while pressing and holding the Reset for 10 seconds will reset the router back to factory default. Additional front-panel LEDs include:
- Power: Indicates whether router is On or Off.
- Internet: Lights when an internet connection is ready.
- 2.4GHz, 5GHz, & 6GHz: Three LEDs light to indicate if each corresponding WiFi radio is operating.
- 1 - 4: Four numbered LEDs display which LAN port(s) are being used and their Ethernet connection (10/100/1000Mbps).
- 5 (Multi-Gig 2.5G/1G): Indicates the available speed: white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100Mbps or 10Mbps Ethernet connections.
- USB 1 & 2: Indicates if a USB device is plugged into either of the 2 rear-panel USB ports, and if there's a connection.
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR router can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top or it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome 55 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, Safari 10 or higher.
Automatic Firmware Updates: The AXE1100 can automatically install the latest firmware updates and patches, continually keeping performance and security at the highest level.
Excellent product and best customer service out there!
Karla from Harvey, ND