About the NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK852)
Cover your home with a speedy Wi-Fi 6 mesh network
Cover your home with a speedy Wi-Fi 6 mesh network
If your single router isn't cutting it — leaving dead zones in certain areas of your home — the NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® system can help solve that problem. The router module works seamlessly with the included sattelite to create a mesh network that covers up to 5,000 square feet with blazing fast Wi-Fi 6. And it offers special features that make it work more efficiently in a busy household with lots of connected devices. This would be an excellent system for demanding applications like gaming or streaming Ultra HD video on your smart TV.
Multiple streams, no waiting
MU-MIMO (multi-user, multi-input, multi-output) allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices, so everyone in a large home can have glitch-free access to the internet at the same time. Each of the eight streams takes on a portion of your home's overall wireless traffic, reducing or eliminating lag and buffering, for smoother, faster performance with streaming devices.
Easy installation and voice control
This mesh network is easy to set up. Just download the free NETGEAR Orbi app and let it walk you through the process of connecting the router and satellites. And the app gives you access to settings and performance monitoring via your mobile device. And once you have the network configured the way you like, you can issue voice commands to your system via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices.
This router offers 128-bit AES encryption with PSK. And built-in NETGEAR Armor™ (subscription required) provides anti-virus and data theft protection for your PC, Mac® and mobile devices.
- Orbi router with satellite booster covers up to 5,000 square feet with strong, fast Wi-Fi 6
- preconfigured for fast, easy setup with your existing network
- router and satellite use a single Wi-Fi name (SSID) for seamless operation with all your devices, anywhere in your home
- 8 amplified, high-performance internal antennas
- Ethernet ports for wired connections (10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit)
- router (RBR850) has 1 WAN port for your modem and 4 LAN ports for your downstream devices
- satellite (RBS850) has 4 LAN ports for your downstream devices
- voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices
- easy setup and network management via free NETGEAR Orbi app for Apple® and Android™ devices
- AX6000 Wi-Fi (1200 + 2400 + 2400 Mbps)
- up to 1,200 Mbps on 2.4GHz band
- up to 2,400 Mbps on first 5GHz band
- up to 2,400 Mbps on second 5GHz band — dedicated band for communication between router and satellite
- powerful quad-core 2.2GHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- router features 512MB flash memory and 1GB RAM
- MU-MIMO allows fast simultaneous streaming to multiple devices
- beamforming boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- security features:
- 128-bit AES encryption with PSK
- NETGEAR Armor™ (subscription required) provides anti-virus & data theft protection for your PC, Mac® and mobile devices
- 78" Ethernet cable included
Dimensions and warranty:
- 7-9/16"W x 10"H x 2-7/8"D
- weight: 2.86 lbs. (each module)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RBK852-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Orbi router (RBR850)
- Orbi satellite (RBS850)
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 6' DC cords)
- 6.5' Ethernet cable
- "Let's Get Started" guide
- "Download The Negear Orbi App" note
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK852) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Wi-Fi® System (RBK852)
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 6|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Tri-Band 6.0 Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||1200 Mbps|
|5.2GHz band||2400 Mbps|
|5.8GHz band||2400 Mbps|
|USB 2.0 ports||N/A|
|USB 3.0 ports||N/A|
Whole-Home Mesh Coverage: NETGEAR's Orbi RBK852 creates a dedicated high-speed WiFi connection for your home internet service. The Orbi RBK852 consists of an Orbi Router (RBR850) and Orbi Satellite (RBS850). The Orbi router connects to your network modem, while the Orbi satellite extends the WiFi signal throughout your home (up to 5,000 square/feet).
- The Orbi router requires a hardwired Ethernet connection to your existing network modem.
- The Orbi satellite that comes with the RBK852 is preset to automatically find and sync to the Orbi router's WiFi signal.
- You can add 3 more satellites (RBS850; sold separately) to the Orbi RBK852 system for a total of 4 satellites. Each satellite provides an additional 2,500 square/feet.
Note: The RBK852 is a WiFi mesh router system and does not contain a modem. You will still need a separate modem from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) with an active subscription plan.
ISP Compatibility: Unlike some WiFi systems, Orbi works with your existing gateway or modem and Internet service provider right out of the box. You won't need to change your current equipment to use the Orbi WiFi Home System. Orbi uses a single WiFi name (SSID) and with just a couple of clicks, your secure WiFi network will be ready in no time.
- If your gateway or modem has router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, choose AP mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
- If your gateway or modem does not have router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, select router mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
Note: After your existing WiFi is disabled, you can use that WiFi network name for your Orbi network.
2.2GHz Quad-Core Processor: A powerful quad-core 2.2GHz processor delivers ultra-high performance, connectivity, and speed; while a 512 MB NAND flash memory and 1 GB RAM offers vastly improved throughput.
Orbi Tri-Band Mesh Technology: Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Technology: NETGEAR Orbi's Tri-band mesh technology creates the ultimate WiFi experience. Innovative Tri-band WiFi helps you download, stream, game, and more on the fastest internet speeds available in your home on every device. It uses a third dedicated WiFi connection between your router and satellites to deliver maximum speeds throughout every square inch of your home, even hard-to-reach places. Stay constantly connected on all your devices, even as you move through the house. The Orbi RBK852 supports total WiFi speeds up to 6.0 Gbps
- Band 1 (2.4 GHz): Up to 1200 Mbps for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet.
- Band 2 (5 GHz): Up to 2400 Mbps for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet.
- Band 3 (5 GHz): Up to 2400 Mbps dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between the Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite
WiFi 6 (802.11ax): With 4X more capacity than WiFi 5 (802.11ac), WiFi 6 (802.11ax) is the ideal solution for your ever-growing smart home. Connect over 100 devices without affecting speed or reliability. Additional WiFi technologies include -
- Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): Using Multi-User MIMO technology, the NETGEAR router can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
- WMM QoS: WMM QoS prioritizes WiFi data packets from different applications based on four access categories - voice, video, best effort, and background.
- Beamforming: Beamforming boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
8 Amplified Antennas: The Orbi router and satellite are each equipped with 8 high-performance antennas with high-powered amplifiers to provide extremely reliable WiFi connectivity throughout larger homes for all your Internet-enabled devices.
4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports: Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) ports on the router and each satellite make it convenient to set up home offices or entertainment spaces. The Orbi router is outfitted with four Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN & 3 LAN). The WAN port is used to connect your Internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices. The Orbi satellite is outfitted with two Ethernet LAN ports to connect home networking equipment, such as a NAS storage system, TV, gaming console, etc..
Note: To get multi-gig Internet with the Orbi router, set up Internet port aggregation (also called WAN link aggregation) by aggregating the Internet port and Ethernet port 1 on the Orbi router.
NETGEAR Orbi App: Use the NETGEAR Orbi app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), to setup and personalize the Orbi Home WiFi System. The NETGEAR Orbi app makes it easy to set up and personalize your Orbi WiFi System. With the app, you can install the Orbi mesh network system in just a few steps; simply connect your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the router network and the app will walk you through the rest. Once set up, you can use the intuitive dashboard to pause Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, and much more
Voice Control: You have the option of controlling the Orbi mesh WiFi network with voice commands using an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately). When you enable the Orbi to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google to send your network credentials to your smartphone or tablet, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. In addition, you can ask Alexa or Google to enable/disable the guest network and reboot the router.
- Before you enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google, you must download the NETGEAR Orbi app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill" or "Ok Google, talk to NETGEAR"; or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) or Google Home app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+).
Note: The Orbi RBK852 does not have a built-in microphone and requires an external Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant device (sold separately) for voice control.
NETGEAR Armor: NETGEAR Armor is an advanced multi-layer cyber threat protection for your home network and all your connected devices (including computers, smartphones, and tablets). Download the NETGEAR Orbi App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to activate NETGEAR Armor and receive real-time security updates. NETGEAR Armor empowers you to eliminate vulnerabilities or simply know the status of your home network and devices, anytime, anywhere. Get instant notifications when malicious threats are detected, block unknown devices from joining your home network or take action on vulnerabilities as they are discovered easily through the NETGEAR Orbi App.
- Online Security: A critical layer of online security, NETGEAR Armor actively safeguards you from cyber threats, such as ransomware, malware, botnets and more, by actively blocking known malicious sites and applications. Instant notifications warn you whenever you or someone in your family visit websites that may try to scam, infect or steal your personal information
- Vulnerability Checks: Hackers are constantly finding new ways to target devices, such as thermostats, lights, appliances, outlets and cameras that can lead to unauthorized access, data theft, or malicious attacks. NETGEAR Armor regularly scans all Internet connected devices to keep you safer from potential security vulnerabilities. Armor also checks for open ports, password strength, firmware versions, and other potential security weaknesses. Scanning is fast and with minimal impact on your system performance, since it occurs in the cloud to maximize power and efficiency.
- Device Protections: Advanced cyber-security on your WiFi router is good. Added security on your router, plus all your smartphones, tablets, and computers is even better. NETGEAR Armor comes with award winning Bitdefender cyber-security for all your Windows and macOS computers, as well as Android and Apple iOS devices. Take this extra security wherever you go, whether it be to your local cafe or on the road and knowing you have an extra layer of protection against cyber threats. To download BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, go to armor-install.com on the device you want to install local protection on.
Note: NETGEAR Armor requires a paid subscription and offers subscriptions starting at $44.99.
UPnP: Universal Plug N Play (UPnP) helps devices, such as Internet appliances and computers, access the network and connect to other devices as needed. UPnP devices can automatically discover the services from other registered UPnP devices on the network
Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
Placement & Mounting Options: The Orbi router should be positioned near your modem, while the Orbi satellite should be placed in the middle of your home. If you are using more than one Orbi satellite, place the Orbi router in the middle of your home with the satellites placed in separate locations.
Note: The Orbi router and satellite can simply be table-top mounted. An optional wall-mount kit (sold separately) is available from NETGEAR.
AC Power Adapters: Both the Orbi router & satellite include an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).