About the NETGEAR AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wi-Fi® Range Extender
Turbo-boost your wireless range
Turbo-boost your wireless range
The Nighthawk X4 range extender delivers blazing-fast Wi-Fi around your home.
Want to stream movies, games, and other content over the internet, but running into wireless connectivity issues in parts of your home? The NETGEAR AC2200 Nighthawk X4 is an easy way to boost the range and signal strength of your existing wireless router. Simply plug it into the wall halfway between your router and your poor coverage zone. A quick browser-based setup on your computer or a mobile device is all you need to make your network reach farther with faster speed. All of your devices will enjoy better signal strength, blazing-fast downloads, and more consistent media streaming.
Packed with features
The Nighthawk X4 has many of the powerful network features that NETGEAR's top-shelf routers have including Beamforming+, which uses two-way communication between the router and your phone or tablet to provide the strongest wireless coverage possible. Instead of just broadcasting the Wi-Fi coverage in a broad circle, Beamforming focuses the coverage on your wireless devices. As you move around your home, that focused range follows, giving you a fast and reliable connection every time. The X4 also uses MU-MIMO technology for simultaneous streaming to multiple devices at high speeds.
A real-world test
My wireless router had a hard time reaching one of the bedrooms in my home. To find out how well wireless extenders work, I took one home and put it through its paces. Check out the results here.
- 802.11ac dual-band Gigabit wireless range extender
- extends 2.4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi signals (450 Mbps + 1733 Mbps)
- blazing fast transmission with speeds up to 2.2Gbps
- MU-MIMO technology for simultaneously streaming to multiple devices at high speeds
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of Wi-Fi connection with directional operation
- custom low-noise amplifier improves incoming transmission quality from mobile devices
- one 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
- plugs into standard wall outlet
- smart LED indicators help with ideal placement of module
- FastLane™ feature provides high-speed Wi-Fi on both wireless bands for HD gaming and video streaming
- Push 'N' Connect using Wi-Fi Protected Setup® (WPS)
- browser-based installation makes setup easy using a tablet, smartphone, or computer
- security: Wi-Fi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK) and WEP
- 3-1/4"W x 6-3/8"H x 1-3/4"D
- weight: 10.56 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # EX7300-100NAS
What's in the box:
- WiFi range extender
- Quick Start Guide
NETGEAR AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wi-Fi® Range Extender reviews
Works fine. I now have the coverage I need in a large, 2-story house and patio. Set-up directions will be clear to a techie but not to a non-techie like I am. Took 45 minutes to set-up instead of 5 to 10 if I understood the language.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
0 of 0 found this helpful
It takes a time to set up but it works fine after that.
0 of 0 found this helpful
The range extender works as advertised; I'm pleased. It takes a little bit of time to set it up; but, so does everything else wireless.
Pros: Plugs into a wall outlet; so, it takes up no room on any horizontal surface.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Love it! Product works at least as well as advertised. In fact we now connect to the extender rather than directly to our wireless router throughout our entire house. The "dead spot" in our house (reason for the purchase) has been eliminated. A less expensive device from Netgear or another vendor might have sufficed but I didn't want to "audition" cheaper products. Set up was painless. Highly recommended!
Pros: Extends high speed internet. Easy set up.
Cons: Absolutely none.
1 of 1 found this helpful
About half of it works, I never could get the extender option to work as advertised. Using in extender mode no matter where I put the NETGEAR AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wi-Fi® Range Extender I could not get good results (Making it unusable). However, using it as access point works fine (connected to LAN). Would not recommend.
Pros: Works great with the NETGEAR Powerline 1200 combo in Access point mode Good speeds Decent range
Cons: Installation is pretty confusing Extender option hardly even works (bottlenecks the entire IP making wifi unusable) Tends to switch to different wifi bands often (if using two bands)
0 of 1 found this helpful
Easy setup! The item is well built and feels very solid. Was able to extend my current nighthawk router. And I used the ethernet port on the Nighthawk X4 for my Xbox. Definitely a great buy and I highly recommend it.
Pros: Easy Setup Quality Build iOS App was Setup Wizard was very straight forward Connection quality is excellent!
2 of 3 found this helpful
More details on the NETGEAR AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wi-Fi® Range Extender
WiFi Range Extender: Nighthawk AC2200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (EX7300) employs high-power amplifiers and an internal antenna array to boost your existing WiFi and deliver greater wireless speed and coverage to where WiFi signals are weak in your home (up to 10,000 ft² of wireless coverage). It works with any standard WiFi router to deliver dual band WiFi with up to 2.2Gbps. The AC2200 WiFi Range Extender delivers fast WiFi speed and connectivity for smartphones, tablets, laptops, computers, and more. A Gigabit Ethernet port provides WiFi connectivity to a wired device like Blu-ray players, game consoles, smart TVs or streaming players over your existing WiFi network.
Applications: Add this WiFi Range Extender to improve your home's WiFi and get better connections for your tablets, smartphones, laptops and more. Its ideal for HD video streaming and gaming. With the AC2200 WiFi Range Extender you can improve your mobile WiFi speeds by up to 100%. Even, use the WiFi Range Extender as a network bridge for a local LAN device.
802.11ac: The extender supports the 802.11ac networking standard. This new standard offers better speed, improved reliability, and more range than older WiFi networking standards. The extender is also backward compatible with earlier WiFi a/b/g/n standards. However, to get the benefits of 802.11ac, your WiFi router must support the 802.11ac WiFi networking standard. In comparison, the latest 802.11ac WiFi standard is 3x faster than the older 802.11n WiFi standard.
Dual-Band WiFi: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC2200 features dual-band WiFi with up to 450 Mbps for 2.4 GHz network and 1733 Mbps for 5 GHz network.
FastLane Technology: FastLane technology improves performance using both WiFi bands. Get the most out of your HD entertainment with FastLane technology. With FastLane technology, the extender connects to your router using one band and connects to your devices using another band. Because a band is dedicated to each function, performance is enhance. FastLane Technology is ideal for HD streaming & online gaming. When you enable FastLane Technology, two options are available.
- Use the 2.4 GHz band to connect the extender to the WiFi devices and use the 5 GHz band to connect the extender to the WiFi router. Use this mode if your WiFi router supports the 5 GHz band but the devices that you want to use for gaming and streaming support the 2.4 GHz band.
- Use the 5 GHz band to connect the extender to the WiFi devices and use the 2.4 GHz band to connect the extender to the WiFi router. Use this mode if the devices that you want to use for gaming and streaming support the 5 GHz band but your WiFi router supports the 2.4 GHz band.
Note: If all your devices and your WiFi router support only the 2.4 GHz band, or all your devices and your WiFi router support only the 5 GHz band, do not enable FastLane Technology.
Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): Using Multi-User MIMO technology, the NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender can stream data to multiple devices simultaneously. A custom low-noise amplifier improves incoming transmission quality from these multiple mobile devices.
Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi extenders that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the extender can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
Two WiFi Modes: The AC2200 can connect to your network's WiFi signal and then boost that signal or it can connect to your network with a wired connection and work as an access point. You use the Access Point/Extender switch on the side of the extender to select which way you want to use the extender.
- Extender Mode: In Extender mode, the extender connects to your existing network's WiFi signal and it rebroadcasts two extender WiFi signals, one in the 2.4 GHz band, and another in the 5 GHz band. When you are too far away to connect to your network's WiFi signal, you can connect to an extender WiFi signal instead.
- Access Point Mode: Access Point mode creates a WiFi hotspot using a wired Ethernet connection. You can use the extender in access point mode as a WiFi access point and create a new WiFi hotspot by using a wired Ethernet connection.
Gigabit Ethernet Port: There is one RJ-45 Ethernet port (10Base-T/100Base-Tx/1000Base-Tx) with auto-sensing technology. This Gigabit Ethernet port is used to connect a wired device like a smart TV or game console to your home's WiFi network.
Wall Plug Design: The compact wall-plug design allows you to simply plug the AC2200 WiFi Range Extender into any electrical outlet.
Smart LED Indicator: A smart LED indicator lights up to help you place the AC2200 WiFi Range Extender for optimal boost in range and performance.
WiFi Analytics App: Use the NETGEAR WiFi Analytics app on your Android (OS 2.2+) smartphone or tablet to get advanced analytics to optimize your existing or newly extended WiFi network. Check your network status, WiFi signal strength, identify crowded WiFi channels and much more.
Flexible & Secure Setup: The WiFi range extender offers WPS & Web Browser setup. Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of WPA/WPA2/WPA2-PSK security.
- WPS: You can use WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) to connect the extender to your WiFi router without typing your existing router's WiFi network name (SSID) or WiFi password.
- Web Browser: You can use a web browser to log in to the extender and set up its WiFi connection to your existing WiFi router.
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Router Type: 2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi router or gateway
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox 20 or Safari 5.1, or Google Chrome 25.0 browsers or higher
Firmware Updates: The extender is set up to check for new firmware automatically at login. Click here for the latest firmware/software updates from NETGEAR.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked