About the NETGEAR XR1000 Nighthawk™
Special features for gamers
The XR1000 Nighthawk's DumaOS dash lets you monitor and manage bandwidth allocation, along with other utilities that improve the gaming experience.
Special features for gamers
The NETGEAR Nighthawk XR1000 is a strong general-purpose router loaded with special features for serious gamers. Four available Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports let you make high-speed wired connections to PCs and consoles. And the triple-core 1.5GHz processor inside can definitely keep up when the action gets heavy.
Geofencing lets you customize and filter which game servers you play on, and you can prioritize your gaming device so it gets the lion's share of the available bandwidth. You can also test your connection's speed, ping, and performance under peak congestion, and display the quality of your connection to each server on a world map.
Smarter than the average router
The router's built-in DumaOS operating system helps you manage your network for glitch-free video streaming, lag-free gaming, and fast internet browsing. It can automatically prioritize activities that call for high throughput and block slow server connections to minimize network congestion. And it gives you a powerful dashboard for monitoring your network and adjusting its settings. The dash is customizable, so you can place important information panels where you want them, and re-size them for easy visibility.
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) wireless router
- four high-performance external antennas provide excellent wireless coverage for serious gaming
- 6-stream Tri-band AX5400 Wi-Fi
- 2.4 GHz @ 600 Mbps
- 5 GHz @ 4.8 Gbps
- Nighthawk app helps with setup and enables remote monitoring and control of the router
- powerful 1.5GHz triple-core processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- memory: 256MB flash and 512MB RAM
- compatible with voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connections
- 160 MHz channel support for increased speed to compatible mobile devices
Gaming optimization features:
- bandwidth allocation lets you prioritize gaming devices
- DumaOS operating system with customizable dashboard:
- pin and resize information panels for easy visibility and access
- view real-time bandwidth use by device
- network and system performance analytics
- test your connection's speed, ping, and performance under peak congestion
- ping your favorite game servers to display your connection quality to each server on a world map
- geofencing lets you customize and filter which game servers you play on
- five 10/100/1000 (4 LAN and 1 WAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
- super-fast USB 3.0 port
- WPA3 and 128-bit AES encryption with PSK
- separate and secure guest network for visitors
- NETGEAR Armor™ offers layers of protection:
- vulnerability assessment tool scans and identifies network security flaws
- antivirus and ransomware protection at home or on the go
- VPN support offers secure remote access
- subscription required for some advanced features
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-5/8"W x 2-9/16"H x 7-7/8"D (antennas down)
- weight: 1.32 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XR1000-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Gaming router
- Four 6" antennas
- AC Power supply w/ attached 6' DC cord (12VDC/2.5A output)
- 78" CAT-5e cable
- Quickstart card
- Firmware update information
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR XR1000 Nighthawk™
Features & specs
|Wireless Range||Not given|
|Wi-Fi Standard||Wi-Fi 6|
|Wi-Fi bands/total speed||Dual-Band 5.4 Gbps|
|2.4GHz band||600 Mbps|
|5.2GHz band||4800 Mbps|
|USB 2.0 ports||N/A|
|USB 3.0 ports||1|
Overview: The NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 WiFi Router with simultaneous Dual-Band performance delivers combined WiFi speeds of up to 5.4Gbps. The XR1000's powerful 1.5GHz tri-core processor gives you a high-performance networking engine for faster connections. Incorporating the latest WiFi 6 technology (802.11ax), the XR1000 features proven high-performance while preventing lag spikes, drop outs, and high ping times for better VR gaming, 4K streaming, web-surfing, and more.
1.5GHz Tri-Core Processor: The NETGEAR Nighthawk XR1000 utilizes a powerful 1.5GHz tri-core processor to separate processes and prioritize high performance WiFi connections to get maximum combined WiFi speeds of up to 5.4Gbps, with up to 6 streams available. 160MHz channel support lets you enjoy 1Gbps WiFi speeds for fast streaming and downloading on newer mobile devices.
IPv6: The XR1000 supports Internet Protocol version 6 and can be configured as such.
Dual-Band WiFi: Dual-band WiFi delivers up to 5.4Gbps combined WiFi speeds through two dedicated WiFi bands. Both WiFi bands can operate simultaneously and provide up to 4 separate streams in the 5GHz band, and 2 separate streams in the 2.4GHz band. Dual-band WiFi combined with the intelligence to segregate traffic based on WiFi speed and load balancing provides the best performance for multiple WiFi devices in your home. Both bands are backwards compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi.
- 5GHz (ax): 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps
- 2.4GHz (ax): 2x2 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40MHz, up to 600Mbps
DumaOS 3.0: The Nighthawk XR1000 Pro Gaming WiFi Router features an integrated DumaOS 3.0 network platform that allows easy viewing and configuration of the router through its Dashboard screen, accessible from your computer or from a mobile device using the NETGEAR Nighthawk app. Dashboard features include:
- Quality of Service (QoS): QoS resolves internet traffic congestion when you have competing internet demands at home. QoS identifies your online activities by application and device, then utilizes bandwidth allocation and traffic prioritization techniques to automatically allocate more bandwidth to latency sensitive applications like online gaming and video streaming. This ensures that lower priority applications continue to work.
- Geo Filter: One of the main causes of lag in console games is the distance from you to the host server of the game. The Geo Filter can limit the distance of the host servers by blocking all hosts or servers outside the range that you can specify, allowing for improved response times.
- Ping Heatmap: Lets you ping servers for your favorite games to determine the best servers to connect to and the ones to avoid. For each server, your connection quality will be displayed on a world map. You can also build a ping history for your favorite servers so you can monitor their performance quality over time.
- Connection Benchmark: Tests your connections speed, ping, and performance under peak congestion. You can schedule Connection Benchmark Tests for specific times and keep a log of each test's results.
- Bandwidth Allocation: Some devices on your network need more bandwidth that others, such as for gaming or media streaming. You can allocate a percentage of the total router bandwidth to each of the devices on the network, ensuring each device gets the bandwidth it needs. By default, the router automatically allocates excess (unused) bandwidth to a device that needs it. This option can be disabled so that the router does not share unused bandwidth across your network and each device will get only the bandwidth allotted.
- Traffic Controller: Lets you set up traffic rules to allow, block, or reject all traffic, particular categories of traffic, specific games, or port ranges. You can apply a traffic rule to one or more specific devices or to all devices on your network, as well as setup a schedule for each traffic rule. The Traffic Controller lets you apply a traffic rule to all devices and then setup an exception for a specific device.
Beamforming+ (Explicit & Implicit): Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ (Explicit), the router actively tracks connected devices and directs power to the router antenna closest to the client device. With Beamforming+ (Implicit), the router can use information from client devices that support Implicit Beamforming for even greater WiFi speed, reliability, and range.
Multi-User MIMO (MU-MIMO): MU-MIMO capability allows you to simultaneously stream up to 4 devices at the same time on the 5GHz band and 2 devices on the 2.4GHz band. With MU-MIMO, your WiFi network can deliver faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device. That means faster downloads and smoother streaming for your devices.
Smart Connect: Smart Connect automatically selects the fastest WiFi band for your device. For Smart Connect to work, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands must use the same WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password). That means that when you connect to the router with WiFi, you see only one SSID that connects to both bands.
OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access): The Nighthawk Series Dual-Band XR1000 uses OFDMA to direct WiFi traffic much more efficiently, increasing network capacity even when multiple devices are connected to the network. Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) allows data transmission signals to be split into smaller signals which can then be sent directly to individual devices on your network. Because multiple devices can be served in the same transmission window, the router doesn't have to wait for medium access for every data packet. This method of communication increases network speed and efficiency.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Five Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN) allow you to connect multiple wired devices. The WAN port is used to connect your internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
Nighthawk App: The Nighthawk App for iOS and Android devices makes it easy and intuitive to setup and use the NETGEAR Nighthawk XR1000 router. With the Nighthawk app, you can install your router using very few steps - just connect your mobile device to the default network, and the app will walk you through the rest. The app allows you to update the router to the latest firmware, personalize your WiFi network, and even help register your router with NETGEAR. At the end of installation, an easy to use overview screen provides quick way to see what your network credentials are so you don't have to write it down on a piece of paper. The overview screen also shows you all connected devices and links you to helpful support information related to your router.
Notes: You can still use web-based installation wizard to install the router by visiting from your mobile device or a computer connected to the router.
NETGEAR Armor: NETGEAR Armor is a subscription-based security service that's powered by Bitdefender, a global leader in cybersecurity. NETGEAR Armor protects your home network from potential cyber threats and provides complete data protection, advanced threat defense, webcam protection, multi-layer ransomware protection, anti-phishing, safe files, secure browsing, rescue mode, anti-fraud, and anti-theft. NETGEAR Armor provides you with multiple performance and privacy tools that can be viewed and configured on PC, Mac OS, iOS, and Android devices.
Note: NETGEAR Armor requires a paid subscription after the 30-day free trial period.
Voice Control: The XR1000 lets you control you WiFi network with simple voice commands using an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant (sold separately) connected to the same network.
VPN: The XR1000 gaming router lets you create a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to securely access your network via the internet when you are not at home. The VPN feature must be enabled on the router and you must install and run VPN client software on the computer you are using to access the network.
Ready Share Access: The NETGEAR XR1000 allows you to share USB storage devices and printers through Ready Share
- USB Port: The single USB 3.0 port on the router can be used to connect a USB storage device such as a flash drive, hard drive, or printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Do not connect computers, USB modems, CD drives, or DVD drives to the router's USB port.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on the router. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
Memory: The NETGEAR Pro Gaming router features 256MB of NAND flash memory and 512MB of DDR3 SDRAM.
Antennas: The XR1000 includes 4 active enhanced antennas. Each antenna is numbered and must be attached to its corresponding antenna connector on the XR1000 chassis. Each antenna can be swiveled and tilted for optimum performance.
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR router can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top or it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome 55 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, Safari 10 or higher.
Firmware Updates: Click here for the latest firmware updates from NETGEAR. The router's firmware can be updated via the Nighthawk app.