About the NETGEAR XR300 Nighthawk™ Pro
Special features for gamers
Special features for gamers
Got gamers at home? The NETGEAR Nighthawk XR300 is a strong general-purpose router with some special features for hardcore gamers. Four available Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports let you make high-speed wired connections to PCs and consoles. The dual-core 1GHz processor inside can definitely keep up when the action gets heavy.
Smarter than the average router
The router's built-in DumaOS operating system helps you manage your network for glitch-free video streaming, lag-free gaming, and fast internet browsing. It can automatically prioritize activities that call for high throughput and block slow server connections to minimize network congestion. And it gives you a powerful dashboard for monitoring your network and adjusting its settings. The dash is customizable, so you can place important information panels where you want them, and re-size them for easy visibility.
Simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi
The XR300 offers fast Wi-Fi, but it's super-efficient, too. It generates simultaneous dual-band, essentially doubling the available bandwidth. Three external antennas ensure wide coverage, faster speeds and less interference.
MU-MIMO (multi-user, multi-input, multi-output) allows simultaneous streaming to multiple devices, so you can have friends over and ensure each person who logs on has equal access. We like to use a grocery store analogy: a generic router may be like the store that only has one or two lanes open, leading to long, slow lines. The XR500 has multiple lanes open, staffed with speedy, accurate checkers who keep the lanes clear and the customers happy.
- Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) wireless router
- fast dual-core 1GHz processor
- 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN, 4 LAN)
- USB 3.0 port for connecting a peripheral device
- DumaOS operating system with customizable dashboard:
- pin and resize information panels for easy visibility and access
- view real-time bandwidth use by device
- network and system performance analytics
- three external antennas for strong, fast wireless coverage
- Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connections
- MU-MIMO generates fast Wi-Fi streams for multiple users
- geo-filtering prioritizes servers near your location
- ReadySHARE® Vault-PC software for automatic backup to USB hard drive
- 128MB flash memory and 512MB RAM
- Gaming VPN helps protect your network identity and prevent DDoS attacks
- 128-bit AES encryption with PSK
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 7-1/4"D
- weight: 1.58 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XR300-100NAS
What's in the box:
- Pro gaming router
- AC power adapter w/ 73" cord (12VDC / 2.5A output)
- 58" CAT-5e cable
- Quickstart guide
Not sure what you need? Learn how modems, routers, and mesh Wi-Fi systems work.
NETGEAR XR300 Nighthawk™ Pro reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the NETGEAR XR300 Nighthawk™ Pro
Overview: NETGEAR's Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300 WiFi Router with simultaneous Dual-Band performance delivers combined WiFi speeds of up to 1.75 Gbps. The XR300's powerful 1.0 GHz dual-core processor gives you a high-performance networking engine for faster connections. Designed for gaming, the XR300 features proven high-performance while preventing lag spikes, drop outs, and high ping times for Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, PC, and mobile devices.
DumaOS: The Nighthawk XR300 Pro Gaming WiFi Router features an integrated DumaOS network platform that allows easy viewing and configuration of the router through its Dashboard screen, accessible from your computer or from a mobile device using the NETGEAR Nighthawk app. Dashboard features include:
- Quality of Service (QoS): QoS resolves internet traffic congestion when you have competing internet demands at home. QoS identifies your online activities by application and device, then utilizes bandwidth allocation and traffic prioritization techniques to automatically allocate more bandwidth to latency sensitive applications like online gaming and video streaming. This ensures that lower priority applications continue to work.
- Geo Filter: One of the main causes of lag in console games is the distance from you to the host server of the game. The Geo Filter can limit the distance of the host servers by blocking all hosts or servers outside the range that you can specify, allowing for improved response times.
- Anit-Bufferbloat (ABB): The Anti-Bufferbloat feature can prevent congestion and queuing delays that are caused by devices that consume a lot of bandwidth. You can set a maximum percentage of the total bandwidth that bandwidth-intensive devices can consume, allowing bandwidth to remain available for other devices.
- Device Ping: You can allow (whitelist) or block (blacklist) connections to individual devices, regardless of the distance radius of your GeoFilter. A dedicated server cannot be blocked.
- Bandwidth Allocation: Some devices on your network need more bandwidth that others, such as for gaming or media streaming. You can allocate a percentage of the total router bandwidth to each of the devices on the network, ensuring each device gets the bandwidth it needs. By default, the router automatically allocates excess (unused) bandwidth to a device that needs it. This option can be disabled so that the router does not share unused bandwidth across your network and each device will get only the bandwidth allotted.
1.0GHz Dual-Core Processor: The NETGEAR Nighthawk XR300 utilizes a powerful 1.0GHz dual-core processor to separate processes and prioritize high performance WiFi connections to get maximum combined WiFi speeds of up to 1.75Gbps.
Dual-Band WiFi: Dual-band WiFi delivers 1.75 Gbps combined WiFi speeds through two dedicated WiFi bands-a 2.4 GHz band and a 5 GHz band. Dual-band WiFi combined with the intelligence to segregate traffic based on WiFi speed and load balancing provides the best performance for multiple WiFi devices in your home. The two bands provide the following speeds:
- 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz + 64 QAM support (up to 450Mbps)
- 802.11 a/n/ac 5 GHz + 256 QAM support (up to 1300Mbps)
Beamforming+: Beamforming+ boosts speed, reliability, and range of WiFi connections on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Unlike typical WiFi routers that just blast the WiFi signals in all directions; with Beamforming+ the router & device communicate with each other, so the router can directly beam the WiFi signal to the device. The result is a stronger, faster, more reliable connection that is locked in even when the device is moved around the home.
Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Five Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN) allow you to connect multiple wired devices. The WAN port is used to connect your internet modem, while the LAN ports are used to connect your local network devices.
IPv6: The XR300 supports Internet Protocol version 6 and can be configured as such.
ReadySHARE: The NETGEAR Nighthawk XR300 Pro Gaming WiFi router allows you to share USB devices, DLNA media, and printers through ReadySHARE.
- USB Port w/ ReadySHARE: The USB 3.0 port on the front of the router can be used to connect USB storage devices such as flash drives, hard drives, or a printer. The router works with most USB-compliant external flash and hard drives (if your USB drive uses special drivers, it is not compatible). You can share data that is stored on most common USB storage devices across your WiFi network with ReadySHARE USB Storage Access. ReadySHARE lets you access and share a USB drive connected to the router's USB port. Computers, USB modems, CD drives, and DVD drives are not supported on the USB port.
- ReadyDLNA Media Server: By default, the router functions as a ReadyDLNA media server, which lets you stream music and movies from an attached USB device to DLNA/UPnP AV-compliant media players, Smart TVs, game consoles, and NETGEAR media players. As a ReadyDLNA media server, you can also setup the router to play music from iTunes and media from TiVo.
- ReadySHARE Printer: The ReadySHARE Printer utility lets you share a USB printer that is connected to the USB port on the XR300. You can share this USB printer among the Windows and Mac computers on your network.
Auto Backup: Keep your content safe by using the included ReadySHARE Vault application for backing up Windows-based PCs. For Mac OS users, back-up using Apple Time Machine.
- ReadyShare Vault PC: Free ReadyShare Vault PC software it there for you to schedule automatic hassle-free backups to safeguard precious photos and files from any PC directly to the connected USB storage. ReadyShare Vault is free to download and use with the Nighthawk XR300.
- Time Machine: You can use Time Machine to back up your Mac computers onto a USB hard disk drive that is connected to one of the router's USB ports.
Simple Setup: NETGEAR makes installation and management fast & simple, so you can connect quickly & make sure you stay that way. The router offers a built-in Setup Wizard for computer setup, an Apple & Google Play app for Apple iOS & Android setup, plus a WPS push-button setup.
- Setup Wizard: You can use the router's built-in Setup Wizard for Windows & Mac to detect your internet settings and automatically set up the router from your computer.
- NETGEAR Nighthawk App: Setup and management of the router can be easily done using the Nighthawk app (iOS and Android) from your mobile device connected to the same network. Along with initial setup, the Nighthawk app lets you manage devices, adjust GeoFilter and QoS settings, as well as monitoring the network and internet usage.
- Push 'N' Connect: Easy push button WiFi connections (WPS).
High Security: Maintain the highest security across your network to ensure your privacy & family is safe while online. Whether it's preventing phishing & spyware or just limiting access for kids & guests, NETGEAR has you covered.
- VPN Support: VPN support offers secure remote access for telecommuters.
- Parental Controls: Keep your Internet browsing experience safe and secure with free parental controls. It allows you to limit access to certain web sites at certain times. For example no social networking or gaming site access after dinner time.
- Guest Network Access: Separate & secure access for guests. Guest networks create a completely separate WiFi network for your guests' devices, ensuring they do not have access to your home network or to the shared USB hard drive with all your personal data.
- Secure WiFi Connections:Secure WiFi connections offer the highest level of 802.11 WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK, WPA/WPS mixed mode, WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, and WEP security with Double firewall protection (SPI/NAT firewall) and Denial-of-Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Personal FTP Server: With your customized free URL, you can use FTP to access your network when you aren't home through Dynamic DNS.
Firmware/Software Updates: The Nighthawk router will display an on-screen message when a firmware update is available. By logging in to the router, an update can be selected for automatic installation. If you want to upload a specific firmware version, it can be dowloaded and saved to the desktop, unzipped, and then manually loaded.
Antennas: The XR300 includes 3 high-performance rear-mounted antennas. Each antenna can be swiveled and tilted for optimal performance.
LEDs: LEDs on the front-panel of the Nighthawk XR300 indicate the router's status.
Mounting Options: The NETGEAR router can simply be placed on a flat-surface table-top or it can be wall-mounted using its integrated keyhole slots (mounting screws not included).
System Requirements: Make sure your home network meets the following system requirements.
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux.
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or higher, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome 55 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, Safari 10 or higher.