About the Soundcraft Ui16
Compact digital mixer for a band or club
Compact digital mixer for a band or club
Soundcraft's Ui16 mixer will help you balance your music and color it with all the sonic special effects you like. You set the mixer up like a stage box, connecting microphones and other audio sources to the inputs and powered speakers or amps to the outputs. Then, you use your own device (smartphone, tablet, or PC) to wirelessly control the mix from wherever you choose to sit or stand.
This surface-less digital mixer features onboard WiFi that can connect to any wireless device that has an up-to-date web browser. You don't have to download an app to run the mixer — it acts as its own hotspot/server that sends the app directly to your device via its wireless internet connection. Up to ten devices can control the mix at the same time, but you can limit the functionality of each to prevent someone from tweaking a wrong monitor channel, for example.
The Ui16 features 12 microphone inputs, 8 of which can also accommodate TRS 1/4-inch plugs for line-level instruments like keyboards. You'll also find RCA inputs for playing analog music on breaks or for background beats. A USB input lets you play your 2-track digital files, and a separate USB output lets you digitally record the master left/right outputs. The master outputs deliver the front-of-house sound to your amplifiers, while four auxiliary outputs take care of monitor mixes.
No need to lug around guitar amps
The first two channels feature high-impedance inputs that you can plug your guitars into directly. The Ui16's software includes DigiTech® Amp Modeling which creates the virtual amp and cabinet combination of your choice and allows you, for example, to sound like you're playing through a Marshall stack without any actual amp or cabinet set up onstage.
Signal processing by Harman
Soundcraft's parent company also happens to make some of the world's finest sound processors, so it's no wonder the Ui16 is packed with so many cool effects. For dynamic control, a dbx® compressor, de-esser, and noise gate can be applied to every channel. To add spatial effects, you can use the separate Lexicon® reverb, delay, and chorus echoes. With a 4-band parametric equalizer on each input, a 31-band graphic EQ on each output, plus a graphic RTA display with each EQ, you can craft individual instrument and room tones to perfection. And to top it off, a dbx AFS2 advanced feedback suppressor on each output automatically keeps the sound under control.
Mixing FOH with an iPad®
Check out this cool demo of the Soundcraft Ui mixer's graphical user interface.
- 16-channel digital mixer
- control surface not included — uses onboard Wi-Fi to send control app to separate computer and other portable device
- works with any device that uses an html5 browser (up to 10 devices at the same time)
- channels 1 and 2: combo TRS/XLR inputs include access to DigiTech Amp Modeling
- channels 3-8: combo TRS/XLR inputs
- channels 9-12: XLR inputs
- stereo line input (RCA)
- USB input for 2-track files
- left and right master balanced XLR and TRS outputs with onboard volume controls
- 4 balanced XLR auxiliary outputs
- two parallel headphone outputs with single volume control
- USB output to record main outputs
- built-in Wi-Fi router, indicator light, and antenna
- Ethernet port for more secure control connection
Software Control Features:
- input gain page
- recallable gain faders
- individual channel switchable phantom power (+48 volts)
- phase invert
- digital level meter in dB and clip light
- input mix page
- channel level faders with dynamic level indicators
- mute and solo
- pan control with digital indicator
- editable channel name
- channel edit
- DigiTech guitar amp modeling available on channels 1 and 2
- dbx 4-band parametric equalizer, high-pass filter, de-esser, and RTA
- dbx dynamic compressor/limiter and noise gate
- Lexicon reverb, delay, chorus, and room effect
- aux and master outputs
- dbx 31-band graphic equalizer and RTA
- dbx dynamic compressor/limiter and noise gate
- dbx AFS2 feedback suppression (12-band)
- can assign up to 6 subgroups
- save all mixer settings as a Snapshot, collect Snapshots for a Show
- includes Ableton Live 9 Lite DAW software
- rack-mountable steel chassis
- dimensions: 19"W x 7"H x 4-3/4"D
- weight: 7.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # UI16
What's in the box:
- Rack-mountable 16-channel digital mixer
- AC adapter with attached 5' DC output cord (DC output: 18V 1500mA)
- 40" AC cord (C7 non-polarized connector)
- Ableton Live 9 Lite product card
- Soundcraft Ui promo card
Soundcraft Ui16 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Soundcraft Ui16
Features & specs
|Mic inputs||8 x XLR-1/4", 4 x XLR|
|Line inputs||8 x XLR-1/4"|
|Channel EQ||4-band parametric|
|Master EQ||31-band graphic|
|Monitor outputs||4 x XLR|
|Effects||Delay, Reverb, Chorus|
Overview: The Soundcraft Ui16 is a 16-input digital mixer that can be controlled remotely by virtually any connected device through a standard web browser. With built-in Wi-Fi, or through an Ethernet connection, you can connect to the web server with your smartphone, tablet, or PC, and make all of the level adjustments, effects, and equalization. The mixer is designed to be used as a floor/stage unit, with inputs on the top and sides. It can also be rack mounted, requiring 4U of rack space. The Ui16 comes with Ableton Live 9 Lite music production software (via download).
Mic/Line Inputs: The Ui16 features eight XLR-1/4" combo mic/line inputs, as well as four XLR mic/line inputs. The first two inputs (channels 1 and 2) can be switched to Hi-Z inputs (high input impedance) for sources such as direct-input guitar pickups.
Remote Phantom Power: The Ui16 can supply +48V phantom power independently to each of the 16 inputs. There are no physical buttons on the unit to turn Phantom Power on or off. You can turn on +48V phantom power remotely through the user interface's Gain section.
Line Inputs: In addition to the mic/line inputs, the Ui16 has a stereo RCA line input. These two inputs feed the Line In L and Line In R channels in the mixer.
USB Play/USB Record: The built-in 2-channel USB Media Player can be used for backing tracks or for background music between sets. File playback is streamed directly from a USB stick. A second USB port lets you record 2-channel audio from the Master Channel stereo output, using a USB stick or other USB memory device.
HDMI Output: The Ui16 is equipped with an HDMI connector for connecting the mixer to a display (TV or monitor) with an HDMI input.
Master Outputs: The Soundcraft Ui16 is equipped with left and right Master Outputs with both XLR and 1/4" connectors. The Master Stereo Channel is the output channel for the main left and right mix.
Aux Outputs: In addition to the Master Outputs, the Ui16 offers a pair of balanced XLR Aux Outputs. Both Aux outputs have their own mix of input sources, separate from the master mix. Generally, Aux outputs are used for musicians to hear their own mix on stage via a stage monitor speaker or to headphone amplifiers for in-ear monitoring. You can also send the aux outputs to external hardware FX units.
Headphone Outputs: The Ui16 has two parallel 1/4" TRS stereo headphone outputs with a single volume control. The headphone outputs have a 500mW output when one output is used, and 380mW when both outputs used.
HARMAN Processing: This Soundcraft Ui-series mixer features built-in signal processing from other HARMAN companies, such as dbx, DigiTech, and Lexicon:
- dbx AFS²: AFS² (Automatic Feedback Suppression 2) uses 12 intelligent filters to detect and eliminate feedback across the audio spectrum. It can be set up on the master stereo output, as well as the Aux bus master channels. There are two modes: Fixed and Live.
- DigiTech Amp Modeling: DigiTech input processing and channel view is available on Inputs 1 and 2 when used for direct-input guitar pick-ups. DigiTech processing includes Amp Modeling which emulates different amps and cabinets.
- Lexicon FX Processors: Digital effects are used to create color and depth in the audio mix. The Ui16 uses three internal Lexicon FX processors: Reverb, Delay, and Chorus, plus a fourth processor that can either be an additional reverb or delay.
EQs: Each of the 16 input channels features a 4-band Parametric EQ, with High-pass Filter, Compressor, De-esser, and Noise Gate. If desired, you can switch to a 3-band "Easy EQ" with fixed frequencies and fixed Q mode. In addition, all outputs have a 31-band graphic EQ, Noise Gate, and Compressor. The unit also includes a Real Time Analyser (RTA) on the input and output channels to show a spectral view of the incoming and outgoing signals.
Compatibility: The Ui16 digital mixer is compatible with iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, and Linux devices. Up to 10 devices can control the mixer simultaneously.
Wi-Fi: The Soundcraft Ui16 features integrated Wi-Fi, allowing you to control the mixer via multiple devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones. A built-in Wi-Fi antenna can be found on the top of the unit. You can choose either no security, or WPA2 password protection. If Wi-Fi isn't available, you can plug into the Ethernet port on the side of the unit and connect your control device to a wired LAN.