About the Philips Hue White Ambiance Starter Kit
A shade for every mood
A shade for every mood
The Philips Hue White Ambiance Starter Kit makes lighting your home easy and fun. The four included bulbs provide a wide range of white light that is adjustable for every situation. Select the cool white light of an overcast sky for dinner prep in the kitchen, then transition to a warmer glow when you sit down to eat.
Robust app control . . .
The Philips Hue mobile app makes it easy to select the shade and brightness of each bulb, right from the palm of your hand. Use it from anywhere in your home, or even when you're not at home. Experiment to find your favorite shade of white, or choose from four preset “Recipes” — relax, read, concentrate, and energize — that change the color temperature based on your mood or task.
You can also set timers and create routines. For example, a “wake up” routine gradually increases the brightness in your bedroom to mimic the effect of sunrise. That sure beats the buzz of an alarm clock.
. . . or use your voice
You can control your lighting system hands-free if you've got a voice assistant. This Hue kit works with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Home. That means you can turn your lights on or off, dim them, and recall your favorite presets just by asking.
Expand your Hue system
Controlling your lights with an app or your voice is fun, but you might find that some members of the household prefer a good old fashioned wall switch. If so, you can pick up a dimmer or a Tap. The motion sensor can add even more convenience.
This starter pack comes with four white ambiance bulbs, but the included bridge can actually control up to 50 Hue bulbs, so you can mix and match. Pick up a color-capable ambiance bulb, and your mood lighting options will expand by 16 million colors.
- includes four Hue smart LED light bulbs and a wireless bridge
- remotely control your bulbs through the free Philips Hue app for Apple® and Android™
- light recipes allow easy customization of daily routines
- included presets: relax, read, concentrate, and energize
- compatible with:
Philips Hue Light bulbs:
- standard E26/A19 bulbs fit most common light fixtures
- high-quality light that ranges from warm white to cool daylight
- color temperature: shades of white (2200-6500K)
- instant-on means no waiting for bulb to warm up
- adjustable brightness up to 800 lumens
- 10 watts (roughly equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb)
- approximately 25,000 hours of use per bulb
- 2-7/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 2-7/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- connects to your router via ethernet cable for wireless control of your smart lighting system via your mobile device
- controls up to 50 Hue bulbs and 12 lighting accessories
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- wireless protocol: Zigbee Light Link
- 3-5/8"W x 3-5/8"H x 1-1/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 471986
What's in the box:
- Bridge (version 2.1)
- Four E26 white ambiance LED bulbs
- AC adapter with attached 5' DC output cord (DC output: 5V 1000mA)
- 2-prong US power adapter plug
- 39" Ethernet cable (RJ-45 plugs on each end)
- Get Started guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Philips Hue White Ambiance Starter Kit
Overview: The Philips Hue White Ambiance Bulb Starter Kit (#471986) consists of four Wi-Fi controllable LED white ambiance bulbs, and the Hue wireless bridge. With these items, and the free Philips Hue app, you can control the lights wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. The Philips Personal Wireless Lighting allows you to set up light schedules, and control the lights when you're away from home. The color temperature of these White Ambiance bulbs can be varied to set the mood you want. With optional color ambience bulbs and other accessories, you can even change the color to paint your room with light. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge.
Apple HomeKit Compatible: This Starter Kit is compatible with Apple HomeKit technology, which allows you to control your lights using your Apple iOS device, including voice control through Siri. The kit includes the new square-shaped Hue bridge (version 2.1), which supports the hardware authentication required for Apple HomeKit. (The round-shaped bridge from the original Hue Starter kit (#426353) is not compatible with HomeKit technology.)
Light Bulbs: The four E26 LED white ambiance bulbs included in this Starter Kit can be used in most standard light sockets (Edison screw base). The bulbs are rated at 10 watts and 806 lumens (at 4000 Kelvin), and have an estimated nominal lifetime of 25,000 hours. Inside the bulb is a wireless interface that allows you to dim or brighten the light output from warm white (2200K) to cool daylight (6500K). The internal software is automatically upgradable when connected to the Philips Hue bridge. The bulbs have a beam angle of 160° (±20°), and an instant 100% startup time.
Bridge: The Hue Bridge 2.1 is the heart of the Philips Hue system, and can be wall-mounted or placed on a desktop. It connects to your router via the included Ethernet cable, and communicates wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet and the Hue lighting products. It operates on the 2.4GHz band (2400-2483.5 MHz), and Zigbee Light link protocol, and comes with a AC adapter with a 5V 2A DC output. Dimensions: Width 3.58", Height 3.564", Depth 1.055".
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet. Three types of Philips Hue lights are available: White, White Ambiance (this starter kit), and White and Color Ambiance. Through the Hue app, and with the right Hue products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps may be required.)
App Compatibility: The Philips Hue app is available for Apple devices running iOS 10.0 or later. The app is also available for Android devices running OS 5.0 and up.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?