About the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit
Brighten up your home
Brighten up your home
Bored with your old-fashioned bulbs? Spice things up with this Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit. It has everything you need to add a smart lighting system to your home. The four included bulbs are a standard size that fit most common light fixtures. But unlike those old bulbs, these smart LED bulbs let you choose from over 16 million colors and 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light. And you can control it in almost any way you want.
Select just the right color for every situation or mood.
Easy app control
This kit includes the Philips Hue Bridge which will be the hub of your Hue smart lighting system.
After you set everything up, you'll be able to use the Hue mobile app to select color and brightness, right from the palm of your hand. Use it from anywhere in your home, or even when you're not at home. Hue Sync, a companion desktop app, even lets you synchronize your lights to the movies, music, and games you play on your computer.
You can also set timers and create routines. For example, a “wake up” routine gradually increases the brightness in your bedroom to mimic the effect of sunrise. That sure beats the buzz of an alarm clock.
Or just ask for what you want
You can control your lighting system hands-free if you've got a voice assistant. This Hue kit works with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and Google Home. That means you can turn your lights on or off, dim them, and recall your favorite presets just by asking. As an iPhone user, I love that I can control my Hue system from my lockscreen.
Even more control options
Operating your lights with an app or your voice is fun, but you might find that some members of the household prefer a good old fashioned wall switch. If so, you can pick up a Hue dimmer or Tap. Or, if you've got a lot of smart gadgets you want to easily operate from one place, try replacing a wall outlet with a Brilliant Smart Home Control. You can also program Logitech's hub-based remotes to control Hue lighting.
Expand your Hue system — indoors and out
This starter pack comes with four white and color ambiance bulbs, but the included bridge can actually control up to 50 Hue bulbs, so you can mix and match. I just added a filament bulb to my Hue system because the retro look was perfect for my library. The Play Light Bar is great if you want to up your entertainment game in the living room. Or expand out into your deck or yard with a flexible Lightstrip.
- includes four Hue smart LED light bulbs and a wireless bridge
- choose from 16 million colors or 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light to match any mood or event
- remotely control your bulbs through the free Philips Hue app for Apple® and Android™
- choose from preset light recipes or select your own custom shades
- sync your lights with movies and music for immersive experiences (via Hue Sync app)
- schedule lights to come on when you're away
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- compatible with:
- standard A19/E26 bulbs fit most common light fixtures
- instant control with Bluetooth
- adjustable brightness up to 800 lumens
- 9.5 watts (roughly equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb)
- approximately 25,000 hours of use per bulb
- instant-on means no waiting for bulb to warm up
- 2-7/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 2-7/16"D
- warranty: 3 years
- connects to your router via Ethernet cable for wireless control of your smart lighting system via your mobile device
- allows control via Philips Hue app for Apple and Android
- controls up to 50 Hue bulbs and 12 lighting accessories
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- communication protocol: Zigbee
- 3-5/8"W x 3-5/8"W x 1"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 548545
What's in the box:
- 4 White and Color Ambiance LED bulbs (A19 form factor)
- Hue Bridge (version 2.1)
- AC adapter with attached 70" DC output cord (DC output: 5V 2A)
- US 2-pronged adapter
- 39" Ethernet cable (RJ45 plugs on each end)
- World of Hue booklet
- Operating Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit
Overview: The Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance E26 Starter Kit (#548545) consists of four Wi-Fi controllable LED bulbs and a wireless bridge. With these items, and the free Philips Hue Bridge app, you can control the lights wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet, or with the sound of your voice. The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting system allows you to set up light schedules, and control the lights when you're away from home. These white and color ambience bulbs allow you to change the color temperature of the lights from warm white to cool white light, or to any of over 16 million colors to suit your needs. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge.
Hue Compatible Products: This Starter Kit not only works within the Philips Hue universe, but is compatible with many third party products, including many of the top voice assistants. Hue products work with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Cortana by Microsoft. Using simple voice commands, you can turn the lights on and off, dim or brighten the lights, and set a light scene. In addition, other "Friends of Hue" include IFTTT (If This, Then That), Logitech, Nest, Xfinity, and SmartThings.
Light Bulbs: The four LED white and color ambiance bulbs included in this Starter Kit can be used in standard light sockets (Edison E26 screw base). They have an A19 form factor, and are 2.4" at widest point and 4.3" tall. The bulbs are rated at 10 watts and 800 lumens, and have an estimated nominal lifetime of 25,000 hours. Inside the bulb is a wireless interface that allows you to change the color temperature of the light from warm to cool daylight (2000K to 6500K), or choose from up to 16-million colors. The internal software is automatically upgradable when connected to the Philips Hue bridge. The bulbs have a beam angle of 160° (±20°), and instant 100% light output at startup.
Note: The bulbs are not suitable for use with external dimmers, photo controls, occupancy sensors, or timing devices, and are designed for indoor use only.
Bridge: The Hue Bridge 2.1 is the heart of the Philips Hue system, and can be wall-mounted or placed on a desktop. It connects to your router via the included Ethernet cable, and communicates wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet and the Hue lighting products. It operates on the 2.4GHz band (2400-2483.5 MHz), and Zigbee Light link protocol, and comes with a AC adapter with a 5V 1A DC output. Dimensions: 3.58" x 3.58" x 1.".
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet. Three types of Philips Hue lights are available: White and Color Ambiance (this starter kit), White Ambiance, and White. Through the Hue app, and with the right Hue products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies, Games, or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie or video game, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white or color light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light, an virtually any color you desire.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps may be required.)
App Compatibility: The Philips Hue app is available for Apple devices running iOS 12.0 or watchOS 3.0 or later. The app is also available for Android devices -- version varies with device.