About the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance BR30 Bulb
Add pizazz to your recessed cans
Add pizazz to your recessed cans
Bored with your old-fashioned bulbs? Spice things up with this Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Bulb, and you can choose from over 16 million colors and 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light. And you can control it in almost any way you want.
This bulb has a standard E26 fitting, so the part that screws in will fit in most standard fixtures. But its wider BR30 form factor means it's perfect for spots where you need more directional lighting, especially for those recessed cans in your ceiling.
No Bridge required
One of the only complaints I've heard about Philips Hue bulbs is that you have to have a separate Bridge to control them. Well — not anymore. This new bulb connects to your mobile device using Bluetooth. You can then use the Hue Bluetooth mobile app to control up to ten lights in one room of your home.
Use your voice
You can also control this bulb hands-free if you've got an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant device. That means you can turn your light on or off, dim it, and recall your favorite presets just by asking.
Add wall control
Operating your lights with an app or your voice is fun, but you might find that some members of the household prefer a good old fashioned wall switch. If so, you can pick up a Hue dimmer to add a wall-controlled option to your Bluetooth-based system.
Expand your system with a Bridge to do more
If you want to do even more, you can add a Philips Hue Bridge (sold separately). Then, you can use the Hue mobile app to control up to 50 Hue devices — even when you're not at home. The Bridge also adds compatibility with other Hue accessories — like the Tap — and voice control via Apple HomeKit and Microsoft Cortana.
You can also set schedules and create routines. For example, a “wake up” routine gradually increases the brightness in your bedroom to mimic the effect of sunrise. That sure beats the buzz of an alarm clock.
- BR30 form factor with E26 Edison screw fitting for floodlights and recessed cans
- control up to 10 bulbs in one room with the free Hue Bluetooth app for Apple® and Android™
- choose from 16 million colors or 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light to match any mood or event
- adjustable brightness up to 650 lumens
- works with the Philips Hue Dimmer Switch
- instant-on means no waiting for bulb to warm up
- add voice control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant devices (sold separately)
- additional features available with Philips Hue Wireless Bridge (sold separately)
- schedule, group, and control up to 50 smart lights to control throughout your home
- operate lights when you are away from home
- create schedules, notifications, and alarms
- sync your lights with movies and games — requires Hue HDMI Sync Box (sold separately)
- link with your Spotify account to sync Hue colored lights with your music
- voice control with Apple HomeKit (Siri) and Microsoft Cortana
- rated at 8.5 watts
- rated for approximately 25,000 hours of use
- communication protocol: Zigbee and Bluetooth
- 3-3/4"W x 5-1/8"H x 3-3/4"D (each)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 548586
What's in the box:
- Two BR30 White and color ambiance flood light bulbs (E26 screw base)
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance BR30 Bulb reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance BR30 Bulb
Overview: This Philips Hue LED White and Color Ambiance BR30 bulb is a wirelessly controllable, highly efficient LED flood light that works well in your recessed lighting cans. Philips Hue light bulbs are designed to be added to an existing Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System. It produces white and colored light, and can be controlled (turn on/off, dim/brighten, change colors) in a single room via Bluetooth, or paired to a Hue Bridge as part of a whole home smart lighting system. The bulbs in this 2-pack are covered by a 3-year warranty.
Note: The bulbs are not suitable for use with external dimmers, photo controls, occupancy sensors, or timing devices.
Light Bulb Specifications: The Hue LED White and Color Ambiance BR30 flood light can be used in most standard light sockets (E26 Edison screw base). It has a BR30 form factor, and is 3.7" at widest point and 5.1" tall. The bulb is rated at 8.5 watts (0.5W max standby), and 650 lumens, equivalent to a 65-watt incandescent bulb. It has an estimated lifetime of 25,000 hours and 50,000 switching cycles. Inside the bulb is a wireless interface that allows you to change the color of the light output to any of 16-million colors, and vary the color temperature of the white light in a range from 2000 (warm white) to 6500 Kelvin (cool daylight). The internal software is automatically upgradable via Bluetooth or when connected to the Philips Hue bridge. The bulb has a beam angle of 120° (±20°), and instant 100% light output at startup.
Bluetooth App Control: The bulb features Bluetooth App Control, which allows you to access some features without the Hue Bridge. With the Philips Hue Bluetooth App gives you the ability to control up to 10 Bluetooth-enabled lights from up to 30 feet away. You can turn the lights on or off, dim or brighten the bulb, change the color, and apply Light "recipes" for everyday tasks. You can even control them with your voice through the Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. The Hue Bluetooth app works with Android devices running version 7.0 and up, and Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iOS 12.0 or later.
Standard App Compatibility: The standard Philips Hue app is for use with the Hue Bridge, and gives you full home control of your Philips Hue lights. Within the full Hue Lighting System, you can set timers and schedules, control lights away from home, set wake up and go to sleep routines, and sync the lights to your music, movies, and video games. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge. The app is available for Apple devices running iOS 13.0 or watchOS 3.0 or later, or for Android devices -- version varies with device.
Hue Compatible Products: Hue lighting products not only work within the Philips Hue universe, but, when paired with the Hue Bridge, are compatible with many third party products, including many of the top voice assistants. Hue products work with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Cortana by Microsoft. Using simple voice commands, you can turn the lights on and off, dim or brighten the lights, and set a light scene. In addition, other "Friends of Hue" include IFTTT (If This, Then That), Logitech, Nest, Xfinity, and SmartThings.
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet.Philips Hue lights are available in three color ranges: White Ambiance, White and Color Ambiance, and White. Through the Hue app, and with the right Hue products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps may be required.)