About the Philips Hue Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight
Spice up your downlights
Spice up your downlights
Okay, those recessed can lights in your ceiling might not be something you think too much about. But what if you could easily change their color and brightness? This White and Color Ambiance Downlight from Hue makes doing just that easy and fun. With this retrofit bulb, you can choose from over 16 million colors and 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light. And you can control it in almost any way you want.
Control your Hue bulbs from the palm of your hand.
No Bridge required
One of the only complaints I've heard about Philips Hue bulbs is that you have to have a separate Bridge to control them. Well — not anymore. This new bulb connects to your mobile device using Bluetooth. You can then use the Hue Bluetooth mobile app to control up to ten lights in one room of your home.
Use your voice
You can also control this bulb hands-free if you've got an Amazon Alexa or Google Home device. That means you can turn your light on or off, dim it, and recall your favorite presets just by asking.
Add wall control
Operating your lights with an app or your voice is fun, but you might find that some members of the household prefer a good old fashioned wall switch. If so, you can pick up a Hue dimmer to add a wall-controlled option to your Bluetooth-based system.
Expand your system with a Bridge to do more
If you want to do even more, you can add a Philips Hue Bridge (sold separately). Then, you can use the Hue mobile app to control up to 50 Hue devices — even when you're not at home. The Bridge also adds compatibility with other Hue accessories — like the Tap — and voice control via Apple HomeKit and Microsoft Cortana.
- add smart recessed lighting to living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, or bathrooms
- choose from 16 million colors or 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light to match any mood or event
- replaces existing 4" recessed light can with a standard E26 socket
- mounting flange sits flush against ceiling
- control up to 10 bulbs in one room with the free Hue Bluetooth app for Apple® and Android™
- add voice control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant devices (sold separately)
- additional features available with Philips Hue Wireless Bridge (sold separately)
- schedule, group, and control up to 50 smart lights throughout your home with the free Philips Hue app
- operate lights when you are away from home
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- adjustable brightness up to 650 lumens
- rated at 8.5 watts
- rated for approximately 35,000 hours of use
- outer diameter: 5-7/16"
- required recessed distance: 2-13/16"
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 5996511U5
What's in the box:
- 4" Recessed LED light fixture
- E26 socket adapter with attached 7" pigtail
- User Manual (A)
- Safety Instructions (B)
- FCC compliance sheet (C)
- Modification warning sticker
- How to Get Started brochure
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Philips Hue Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight
Overview: The Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight is a 4" retrofit recessed light that replaces your incandescent recessed bulb with a wirelessly controllable LED light. You can choose from 16 million colors or over 50,000 shades of white light (warm white to cool daylight) to create a personalized space, set the mood for watching movies, or light the room for entertaining friends. The Downlight can be paired with a Hue Bridge (not included) to let you change the brightness and color from anywhere using the Philips Hue app on your smartphone or tablet. The light is also compatible with the Hue Bluetooth app on your smartphone or tablet for local control inside the room. The light can be controlled with your voice using your favorite smart voice assistant. The Downlight is covered by a 3-year warranty.
Note: The Downlight is not suitable for use with external dimmers, photo controls, occupancy sensors, or timing devices. It is especially designed for living room or bedroom use, but is also suitable for wet locations.
Downlight Installation: The 4" Downlight is designed to fit inside an existing 4" recessed lighting "can" with a standard E26 Edison screw socket. The supplied adapter screws into the existing socket and plugs into the back of the bulb. The Downlight inserts into the recessed lighting fixture until the flange is flush with the ceiling. Three spring-loaded clips hold the light firmly in place inside the recessed fixture.
Bulb Specifications: The Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight has a light output of 650 lumens (equivalent to a 62-watt incandescent bulb), and is rated at only 8.5 watts. It has a 5.378" outer flange diameter, and a recessed distance of 2.8" (4" with plug). The socket adapter fits into a standard light socket (E26 Edison screw base). The bulb with a color temperature that is variable from 2200K (warm white) to 6500K (cool daylight). It has an estimated lifetime of 35,000 hours and 50,000 switch cycles.
Hue Compatible Products: The Philips Hue Downlight not only works within the Philips Hue universe, but is compatible with many third party products, including many of the top voice assistants. Hue products work with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Cortana by Microsoft. Using simple voice commands, you can turn the lights on and off, dim or brighten the lights, and set a light scene. In addition, other "Friends of Hue" include IFTTT (If This, Then That), Logitech, Nest, Xfinity, and SmartThings.
Bluetooth App Control: The bulb features Bluetooth App Control, which allows you to access some features without the Hue Bridge. The Philips Hue Bluetooth App gives you the ability to control up to 10 Bluetooth-enabled lights from up to 30 feet away. You can turn the lights on or off, dim or brighten the bulb, and apply Light "recipes" for everyday tasks. You can even control them with your voice through the Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. The Hue Bluetooth app works with Android devices running version 7.0 and up, and Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iOS 12.0 or later.
Standard App Compatibility: The standard Philips Hue app is for use with the Hue Bridge, and gives you full home control of your Philips Hue lights. Within the full Hue Lighting System, you can set timers and schedules, control lights away from home, set wake up and go to sleep routines, and sync the lights to your music, movies, and video games. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge. The app is available for Apple devices running iOS 13.0 or later, or for Android devices -- version varies with device.
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet within an existing wireless network. Through the Hue app, and other Hue-compatible products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps required.)