About the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight (700 lumens)
Spice up your downlights
Spice up your downlights
Okay, those recessed can lights in your ceiling might not be something you think too much about. But what if you could easily change their color and brightness? This White and Color Ambiance Downlight from Hue makes doing just that easy and fun. With this retrofit bulb, you can choose from over 16 million colors and 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light. And you can control it in almost any way you want.
No Bridge is required to use this bulb, but you can expand your options when you add one.
No Bridge required
One of the only complaints I've heard about Philips Hue bulbs is that you have to have a separate Bridge to control them. Well — not anymore. This new bulb connects to your mobile device using Bluetooth. You can then use the Hue Bluetooth mobile app to control up to ten lights in one room of your home.
Use your voice
You can also control this bulb hands-free if you've got an Amazon Alexa or Google Home device. That means you can turn your light on or off, dim it, and recall your favorite presets just by asking.
Add wall control
Operating your lights with an app or your voice is fun, but you might find that some members of the household prefer a good old fashioned wall switch. If so, you can pick up a Hue dimmer to add a wall-controlled option to your Bluetooth-based system.
Expand your system with a Bridge to do more
If you want to do even more, you can add a Philips Hue Bridge (sold separately). Then, you can use the Hue mobile app to control up to 50 Hue devices — even when you're not at home. The Bridge also adds compatibility with other Hue accessories — like the Tap — and voice control via Apple HomeKit and Microsoft Cortana.
- Featured in our article: Best smart lights for 2023
- add smart recessed lighting to living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, or bathrooms
- replaces existing 5"/6" recessed light can with a standard E26 socket
- included adapter with 7" pigtail screws into existing socket
- mounting flange sits flush against ceiling
- choose from 16 million colors or 50,000 shades of cool to warm white light to match any mood or event
- adjustable brightness up to 700 lumens
- control up to 10 bulbs in one room with the free Hue Bluetooth app for Apple® and Android™
- works with the Philips Hue Dimmer Switch
- add voice control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant devices (sold separately)
- additional features available with Philips Hue Wireless Bridge (sold separately)
- schedule, group, and control up to 50 smart lights throughout your home with the free Philips Hue app
- operate lights when you are away from home
- set timers, notifications, and alarms
- sync your lights with movies and games — requires Hue HDMI Sync Box (sold separately)
- link with your Spotify account to sync Hue colored lights with your music
- voice control with Apple HomeKit (Siri) and Microsoft Cortana
- rated at 9 watts
- rated for approximately 35,000 hours of use
- outer diameter: 7-3/8"
- required recessed distance: 2-13/16"
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 5996611U5
What's in the box:
- One 5"/6" recessed LED light fixture
- E26 socket adapter with attached 7" pigtail
- User Manual
- Safety Instructions
- FCC compliance sheet
- Modification warning sticker
- Get Started brochure
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight (700 lumens) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Downlight (700 lumens)
Overview: The Philips Hue Downlight is a 5"/6" retrofit recessed light that replaces your incandescent recessed bulb with a wirelessly controllable LED light. The Downlight can be controlled by your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth with the Philips Hue Bluetooth app from a distance of up to 30 feet. It can also be paired with the Hue Bridge (not included) for whole house control, even if you're away. You can also control the light using your favorite voice assistant.
Note: The Downlight is not suitable for use with external dimmers, photo controls, occupancy sensors, or timing devices. It is especially designed for living room or bedroom use, but is also suitable for wet locations.
Downlight Installation: The 5"/6" Downlight is designed to fit inside an existing 5" or 6" diameter recessed lighting "can" with a standard E26 screw socket. The supplied adapter screws into the existing socket and plugs into the back of the bulb. The Downlight inserts into the recessed lighting fixture until the flange is flush with the ceiling. Three spring-loaded clips hold the light firmly in place inside the recessed fixture.
Bulb Specifications: The Philips Hue Downlight White and Color Ambiance light is equivalent to a 62-watt traditional bulb, yet it is rated at only 9 watts. It has a 4.625" inner diameter and a 7.3" outer flange diameter, and requires a recessed distance of at least 2.8". The socket adapter fits into a standard light socket (E26 Edison screw base). The bulb has a light output of 700 lumens with 16-million colors, and a color temperature that is variable from 2200K (warm white) to 6500K (cool daylight). Full light output is instantaneous when switched on. It has an estimated lifetime of 35,000 hours and 50,000 switching cycles, and is covered by a 3-year warranty.
Bluetooth App Control: The 5"/6" Downlight features Bluetooth App Control, which allows you to access some features without the Hue Bridge. With the Philips Hue Bluetooth App gives you the ability to control up to 10 Bluetooth-enabled lights from up to 30 feet away. The plug lets you turn the lights on or off, and apply Light "recipes" for everyday tasks. You can even control it with your voice through the Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. The Hue Bluetooth app works with Android devices running version 7.0 and up, and Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch with iOS 12.0 or later.
Standard App Compatibility: The standard Philips Hue app is for use with the Hue Bridge, and gives you full home control of your Philips Hue lights. Within the full Hue Lighting System, you can set timers and schedules, control lights away from home, set wake up and go to sleep routines, and sync the lights to your music, movies, and video games. Additional Hue products can be added to the system, up to a maximum of 50 bulbs and 12 Hue accessories that can be controlled by a single bridge. The app is available for Apple devices running iOS 12.0 or watchOS 3.0 or later, or for Android devices -- version varies with device.
Zigbee Protocol: The Philips Hue Downlight operates on the Zigbee Wireless Protocol, which uses the IEEE 802.15.4 personal-area network standard to communicate with the Hue Bridge. It has a long wireless range, which enables you to set up a system of up to 50 Hue-compatible bulbs and devices.
Hue Compatible Products: The Philips Hue Downlight not only works within the Philips Hue universe, but is compatible with many third party products, including many of the top voice assistants. Hue products work with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Cortana by Microsoft. Using simple voice commands, you can turn the lights on and off, dim or brighten the lights, and set a light scene. In addition, other "Friends of Hue" include IFTTT (If This, Then That), Logitech, Nest, Xfinity, and SmartThings.
Hue Personal Wireless Lighting: The Hue Personal Wireless Lighting System lets you individually control the lighting products in the system using your smartphone or tablet within an existing wireless network. Philips Hue lights are available in three color ranges: White Ambiance, White and Color Ambiance, and White. Through the Hue app, and the right Hue-compatible products, you can do the following:
- Paint With Light: You can choose from 16-million colors to light, or change the look of, your room. Your favorite light settings can be saved for later recall.
- Sync Lights With Movies or Music: The lights can be synchronized to change with the scenes in a movie, or pulse to the beat of your music. (Third party apps may be required.)
- Create An Ambience: The app lets you use different shades of white light to create an ambience. The bulbs can produce shades of light from energizing cool daylight to relaxing warm white light.
- Light Mood Presets: Preset light moods let you instantly change the lights in the room to fit the moment. Optimal settings are available for reading, relaxing, concentrating, and energizing.
- Wake Up: Gradually increasing light intensity helps to gently wake you up with light, similar to the natural light of the morning sun.
- Light Schedules: The lights can be programmed to come on and go off at a preset time, including lighting rooms at different times. At night, you can let the lights turn off gradually, so you don't have to worry about leaving lights on.
- Remote Lighting Control: When you're away from home, you can turn lights on or off from your smartphone. You can also check the status of your lights when you're not there.
- Geofencing: When the bridge detects that your smartphone is within a certain distance, it will automatically turn lights on or off. For example, as you approach your house, your lights will automatically turn on so you won't have to enter a dark room. (Third party apps required.)
1 question already asked