About the SVS PB-3000
A new subwoofer masterpiece from SVS
A new subwoofer masterpiece from SVS
I've had a craving for deep bass since my teenage years (which, admittedly, led to some roughly assembled DIY sub enclosures back in the 90s). Thankfully, the engineers at SVS know a bit more than I do about building sub enclosures. Their all-new PB-3000 is one of the company's most ambitious subs to date, delivering staggering levels of high-quality bass at a relatively modest price. Use it with confidence in even the largest rooms for exceptional performance with music, movies, and video game soundtracks.
The PB-3000 sports SVS's new dual-port design to reinforce low-frequency output (shown with grille removed).
Goal number one: move a lot of air
I'll get into the more nuanced aspects of this sub in a moment. But first things first: the PB-3000's most notable trait is its sheer brute strength. Its heavily braced enclosure houses a newly designed high-excursion 13" woofer.
This exceptionally large surface area means there's a ton of bass wave generation. And its ported box design means that the backward motion of the driver also contributes to wave creation, further reinforcing low-frequency extension.
This mammoth driver is powered by a 800-watt RMS amplifier, which allows it to produce commanding bass all the way down to 16 Hz (that's dipping into subsonic territory — bass you feel but can't hear).
Simple control from the sub or your phone
SVS has made the PB-3000 a breeze to operate and control. On the back panel is a new Intelligent Control Interface, which uses touch buttons and an LED bar to make changing DSP settings, volume, and other audio adjustments straightforward.
You can also control this sub via a free app on your phone, which lets you select your room's layout, change audio settings, tweak crossover and volume levels, and switch listening modes right from your seat.
Bass tailored to your room
SVS knows that a sub's performance is largely determined by the acoustics of your room, and your subwoofer's position within it. Thankfully, this sub doesn't have to be wrangled into the one and only perfect spot in your room. It offers a host of sound adjustments that let you get great sound wherever it's located.
Use the app to adjust crossover frequencies, parametric EQ settings, polarity, room gain, and other bass management functions. You can even save up to three groups of tailored settings as presets. These let you set up and switch between "listening modes" for a particular time of day or entertainment source. For instance, you can easily dial the bass down for nighttime listening.
- frequency response: 16-260 Hz (±3 dB)
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 800 watts RMS of continuous power (2,500 watts peak dynamic power)
- front-firing 13" aluminum vented cone
- bass reflex (ported) design with dual front-firing ports
- rear-panel Intelligent Control Interface with backlit touch controls and LED display
- full-featured control via Bluetooth® for Apple® and Android™ devices
- app-based control of crossover frequencies, parametric EQ, polarity, and other bass management functions
- bi-directional feedback shows adjustments in real time in both app and the subwoofer's display
- selectable room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope to better match bass to room size
- three digital Parametric EQ filters with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values
- variable low-pass crossover
- variable phase control (0-180°)
- line-level/LFE RCA inputs
- main power on/off switch plus auto standby/on mode
- infrared (IR) remote control included
- detachable high-current 6-foot power cord
- non-resonant steel mesh grille
- black ash wood veneer finish
- 18-5/16"W x 21-15/16"H x 26"D (with grille)
- weight: 82.2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PB3000-BLK Ash
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 2 Foam port plugs
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Online Registration Card
- SVS brochure
More details on the SVS PB-3000
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||13|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||30-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||800|
|Frequency Response||16-200 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||5 Years|
13" High Output Woofer: The SVS PB-3000 features an all-new 13" aluminum vented cone woofer and composite fiber dustcap with exceptional stiffness-to-mass ratio, plus a long-throw parabolic surround and proprietary injection molded gasket that ensures longevity and flawless pistonic motion for pinpoint control and accuracy. A flat edge wound split-wind voice coil within the motor assembly provides effortless, on-demand power at the highest excursion levels, while reducing mass and improving overall driver efficiency. The dual ferrite magnet motor assembly, weighing nearly 25lbs, generates massive amounts of current to produce extreme driver excursion with precise control for deep, accurate, and authoritative bass.
Sledge STA800D2 Amplifier: Conservatively rated at 800 watts RMS / 2500 watts Peak power, the Sledge STA-800D2 amplifier maximizes the full potential of the 13"driver with effortless power and absolute control. The innovative design combines the efficiency of a Class D amplifier with the ability to move large amounts of current through the fully discrete MOSFETs, enabling immense output with exceptional precision resulting in outstanding real-world subwoofer performance at all volume levels. The Sledge STA800D2 amplifier utilizes a sophisticated 50Mhz High Resolution Analog Devices Audio DSP that is one of the most advanced digital processors ever used in a subwoofer. Its the "brains" behind the serious brawn of the Class D amplifier that maintains pinpoint accuracy and pristine sound quality through advanced in-room tuning, optimized frequency response curves, powerful DSP controls and more.
Acoustically Inert, Rigid Cabinet: A double-thick MDF front baffle and extensive internal bracing in the acoustically optimized PB-3000 Series cabinet create a resonance-free environment that serves as a blank canvas for uncompromised subwoofer performance. Acoustic insulation eliminates all coloration or resonance from the cabinet, even when the deepest low frequencies are played at reference volume. The subwoofer cabinet also includes protective, non-resonant steel mesh grille and custom elastomer feet for reducing noise artifacts within a room.
Dual Port Design: PB-3000 utilizes dual port cabinet design for maximizing airflow, driver motion and amplifier power, while eliminating potential for port turbulence. Foam port plugs come with the PB-3000 and allow for variable port tuning through the SVS Subwoofer App. Each response curve for the two port tuning modes (standard and sealed), is fully configured to the respective mode to achieve balanced and accurate low frequency response.
- Standard Tuned: Both ports open (highest maximum output).
- Sealed Tuned: Both ports plugged (best transient response).
Rear-Panel Intelligent Control Interface (ICI): The Intelligent Control Interface (ICI) on the rear-panel of the PB-3000 cabinet provides control options for the subwoofer's most critical functions. Adjustments can be made for volume (-60 to 0dB) based on listening preferences and content to achieve full and balanced bass response. Other features of the ICI include a low-pass filter (30-200Hz) to ensure smooth sonic transitions and seamless blending with loudspeakers and phase control (0-180°) to shift timing of subwoofer output to align with main speakers or additional subwoofers.
SVS Subwoofer App: The SVS Subwoofer app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.3+) ) is the most convenient way ever to control volume, access multiple DSP functions and program custom presets for one-touch tuning optimized for music, movies, gaming, and more from your Bluetooth-connected Apple iOS or Android mobile device. Adjust crossover frequencies, a three-band parametric EQ, polarity, room gain and more from your favorite seat. The SVS subwoofer app also allows advanced customization so you can name the subwoofer for easy preset switching, choose the subwoofer standby mode and reset the subwoofer to factory settings. Bluetooth connectivity allows full control, even when the subwoofer is out of sight and bi-directional feedback shows adjustments in real-time on both the app and rear-panel subwoofer interface.
- Volume Level: The Volume Level (-60 to 0dB) affects how loud the subwoofer plays. It should be adjusted to match the output level of your loudspeakers. Setting the level too high will cause the bass to seem bloated and is the single most common cause of bad sounding subwoofers. Setting it too low, will cause your movie or music soundtracks to sound "thin" and less dynamic.
- Low Pass Crossover: This Low Pass Crossover affects the upper frequency limit of the powered sub. The control range is 30-200Hz, along with a "LFE" (disabled) setting. The slope of the low pass crossover can be set 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave. For connection to a home theater receiver, the low pass should be set to "LFE" (disabled). For stereo receiver, it should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers.
- Phase Adjustment: The Phase Adjustment (0-180°) solves sound wave cancellation issues at specific frequencies and perfectly aligns the arrival of output from speakers and subwoofers to your listening position. Normally set to 0° if the subwoofer is near the main speakers. Adjusting Phase shifts timing of the subwoofer output to align with the main speakers or additional subwoofers.
- Polarity Switch: In some cases, reversing polarity (Positive or Negative) solves dips or humps at the crossover frequency between a subwoofer and speaker and can be used to fix bass nulls or overly boomy spots in the listening area. Reversing the electrical polarity of the subwoofer amplifier makes it so the woofer moves in when speaker drivers move out and is normally set to positive.
- Parametric EQ: The built-in Parametric EQ is a powerful tool for removing peaks and dips in your listening area, and for creating custom subwoofer output based on personal listening preferences. It allows you to set the desired center frequency of the filter (20-200Hz), increase or decrease the SPL dB of the filter (-12 to 6.0dB), or adjust the bandwidth of the filter (0.2-10.0).
- Room Gain Compensation: The Room Gain Compensation feature fixes bloated sounding bass by optimizing low frequency output and extension when too much sound wave density is being created by a small room. The RGC frequency can be set to 25, 31, or 40Hz; while the RGC slope can be set to 6 or 12dB.
- Presets: You can store up to three preset settings for movie, music and custom. This enables easy switching to optimize the SB-3000's output and settings based on your specific listening preferences with different kinds of content. If using the SVS App, these presets can be renamed as desired.
RCA Inputs & Outputs: Unbalanced RCA inputs are used for line-level connection between your receiver and the powered sub. For a single mono connection to a home theater receiver, use the R/LFE input. For stereo receivers, use both the L/R inputs. Use the Left and Right RCA outputs on the PB-3000 to daisy-chain additional powered subwoofers.
Placement Options: If possible, place the subwoofer near the front stage, for best blending with the front and center loudspeaker channels.
- Corner Placement: Corner placement will accommodate most rooms and will reduce the chances for encountering a null (an acoustic cancellation in the bass response) at the listening position. If your AV receiver equalizes the subwoofer channel during auto-set-up, corner placement will often provide the best overall performance.
- Other Placement Options: If corner placement sound excessively boomy, then try moving the subwoofer to other available locations along the front stage, listening for the best balance of output and a smooth accurate response. Always redo the auto-set-up of your AV receiver after moving the subwoofer to a different location to ensure the acoustic distance and calibration level are set correctly.
- Dual Subs: To maximize the bass output and impact of your home theater, two SB-2000s can be paired; one on either side of your room.
Auto On/Standby: With the "Auto On/Standby" feature activated, the powered sub will automatically turn-on when an audio signal is sensed and automatically turn off if there is no audio signal for several minutes. There is also a Main Power On/Off switch located on the back of the powered sub.
3V-12V Trigger Input: When in standby mode, the powered sub's trigger input (3.5mm) can be used to automatically turn on the powered subwoofer if a signal is sent to this input from another component in the system (like your AV receiver) that features a trigger output.