About the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker
High-performance SVS sound goes wireless
High-performance SVS sound goes wireless
On their recent visit to Crutchfield HQ, SVS was excited to play us their new Prime Wireless speakers, and we were excited to hear them. These self-amplified bookshelf speakers throw out lots of powerful, engaging sound. The Prime Wireless Speaker is their single mono version, perfect for spaces where you don't need or have room for a two-speaker setup.
Lots of ways to listen
Connect analog sources such as a turntable with a built-in phono preamp, or digital sources such as a TV directly to the system. You can also stream wirelessly via Bluetooth from your smartphone or tablet.
A mono speaker, powered by 100 watts
The Prime Wireless speaker has a lightweight, rigid 4-1/2" composite glass-fiber woofer for clear mids and tight bass, and a 1" aluminum dome tweeter fitted with a special diffusor to keep high frequencies from sounding harsh, even at high volumes. A rear-firing bass port helps reinforce the lows, especially when the speaker is close to a wall.
Each driver is powered by its own 50-watt Class D amplifier, and the system is controlled by a built-in active digital crossover system that SVS carefully tuned to maximize performance.
Multi-room audio with Play-Fi
The SVS Prime Speaker can be part of a wireless multi-room audio setup. It uses your home Wi-Fi network and DTS Play-Fi technology for easy control from your mobile device of choice. Stream music wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or PC or play services like TIDAL, Spotify®, Pandora®, and Rhapsody. And you can also enjoy SiriusXM if you have a subscription. And it has six presets for your favorite Play-Fi music sources.
Build out your multi-room audio system with additional SVS Prime or Play-Fi speakers and components. You can have speakers in different rooms playing the same thing, or all playing from a different source. And you can control it all with the free Play-Fi app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet.
Play-Fi's Critical Listening Mode enables 24-bit/192Hz lossless streaming. That means you can enjoy high-resolution WAV or FLAC files without downsampling.
Built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX®
You can also stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the Prime Wireless Speaker via Bluetooth. Built-in aptX audio coding allows near-CD quality sound from compatible devices.
You can use the Prime Wireless Speaker with just about any sound source. Stereo RCA connectors let you hook up your CD player, receiver, or another audio component. Use the digital optical input to connect your TV. Enjoy music from handheld devices through the stereo minijack.
The speaker also has a USB port for hardware updates, which you can also you can use to recharge your smartphone or tablet. And you can connect a subwoofer like one of SVS's highly rated models, via a dedicated mono sub output.
Compatible with Amazon Alexa
The SVS Prime Speaker does not have built-in microphones. But if you add (or already own) an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, you can give it voice commands through Alexa. This feature is set up through the DTS Play-Fi app and enabled by the specific Play-Fi skill available through Amazon.
- 2-way speaker design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- 4-1/2" composite glass-fiber mid/woofer
- 50-watt RMS Class D amplifier for each driver
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- Bluetooth 4.0 including aptX technology for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
- frequency response: 52-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 6-1/8"W x 10-1/4"H x 7-1/4"D
- weight: 9.55 lbs.
DTS Play-Fi app:
- free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play
- plays music stored on network hard drives and computers (DLNA-compatible)
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Deezer, Amazon Music Unlimited, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- play the same music in multiple zones simultaneously or individually select music for each player
- plays MP3, M4A, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz (downsamples high-resolution PCM files to 16-bit/48kHz)
- Critical Listing Mode allows streaming of high-res files up to 24-bit/192kHz in native resolution for a single zone at a time
- Toslink digital optical input
- 3.5mm stereo minijack input
- RCA stereo input
- USB port for firmware updates and device recharging
- mono subwoofer output
- Ethernet port
- elastomer stick-on bumper feet
- removable cloth grille
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Prime Mono
What's in the box:
- Active wireless speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 4 Self-adhesive feet
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty/Registration Card
- SVS brochure
More details on the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker
DSP Controlled Class-D Amplification: A commanding Class-D amplifier delivers 50 watts to each driver (tweeter & woofer) for effortless power and room-energizing dynamic impact with revealing clarity, even at reference volume. By using an active digital crossover, SVS engineers could painstakingly tune the Prime Wireless Speaker to achieve high sound quality from all types of audio formats. A function of the extremely powerful DSP engine, the active digital crossover maximizes performance of each driver by controlling power delivery and frequency response with absolute precision.
Two-Way Driver Design: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker features an acoustically optimized 1" aluminum dome tweeter and high-output 4.5" midrange driver for a crisp, accurate and full-range stereo sound at any volume level.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The Prime Wireless Speaker's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is light, efficient, and rigid, and plays crystal clear at high volumes for an exceptional transient response. The tweeter utilizes an FEA-optimized diffuser for even greater clarity with a sense of utter transparency, while also offering an "airy" presentation and incredibly unveiled highs so female vocals and dialogue always sound natural, crisp and smooth.
- 4.5" Polypropylene Woofer: Thoughtfully designed for acoustic excellence, the Prime Wireless Speaker's 4.5" woofer is mounted in its own dedicated and completely sealed compartment to ensure smooth, precise and clear midrange and bass output that's free from coloration. The polypropylene cone material is extremely light and rigid and maintains a flat frequency response with excellent handling across the foundational mid-range frequencies. The woofer utilizes a rugged motor and long-stroke suspension for high output, along with aluminum shorting rings to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion. Low frequency extension is shockingly deep and effortless considering the cabinet size and the Prime Wireless speaker can hit reference volume with amazing clarity, no distortion, and headroom to spare.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design: The Prime Wireless Speaker utilizes a FEA-optimized MDF cabinet with internal bracing to eliminate resonances. The speaker cabinet's chamfered front baffle, flush-mounted drivers, tapered edges, and acoustically transparent FEA optimized grille minimize edge diffraction and improve on-axis high frequency response for clear, precise sound staging. The cabinet also utilizes a 2.36" wide-flared rear-firing port for greater efficiency and smoother response. All of these advancements are packed into an attractive cabinet, that's available in a piano gloss black.
High-Resolution 24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker utilizes a sophisticated 24-bit/129kHz DAC that maintains complete faithfulness to the source material so music and all audio content sounds precisely as the artist or producer intended whether a you are streaming an online music service via DTS Play-Fi or listening to Bluetooth audio.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop) computer to the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker. In addition to Bluetooth's SBC standard codec, the system supports aptX for wireless "CD-Quality" sound from compatible source devices and AAC for better quality playback from Apple iOS devices. You can pair multiple devices with the speaker system, but only one can be used for playback at a time. Playback control and song/artist/album display will still be done from your Bluetooth source device.
Note: The speaker does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Analog & Digital Inputs: In addition to wireless network and Bluetooth connectivity, the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker features analog & digital audio inputs. There are two analog audio inputs - a stereo RCA input and a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input. The 3.5mm input will override the stereo RCA input if both are used simultaneously. There is also a optical (toslink) digital input for connection of a TV, Blu-ray player or game console. The optical digital input supports 2ch PCM only (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). Both analog and digital inputs support multiroom distribution through the DTS Play-Fi app.
Subwoofer Output: A mono-RCA subwoofer output on the back of the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker allows easy connection to a SVS or other brand of powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for deeper bass and a more-thrilling and immersive experience. An active Low Pass Filter at 80Hz is engaged when subwoofer detected.
Front-Panel Controls & Display: On the front-panel of the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker are two 3-way rotary knobs and LCD screen. The 3-way rotary knobs are used to control source & preset selection, as well as control volume, play and pause. The front-panel display indicates source and preset selection.
Mounting Options: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker can be simply placed on a table top, bookshelf, or stand. There are four included self-adhesive rubber feet that can be used on the bottom of the speaker to protect your furniture. The feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker. The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker does not provide any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker.
Power Requirements: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker includes a detachable 6' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The speaker is not battery powered.
USB Charging Port: A rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to charge your smartphone or tablet's battery. This USB port does not support media or data transfer.
Mono/Stereo Switch with Speaker Output: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker features a Mono/Stereo switch on the back-panel. Make sure this switch is set to "Mono" (default is Stereo). If you decide you want a stereo setup later, the SVS Prime Wireless Speake also features a proprietary speaker output to add a passive Prime Wireless Speaker (available for special order through SVS) - in this configuration set the Mono/Stereo switch to "Stereo".
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker employs DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound - up to 24-bit/192kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand (like SVS, Onkyo, Integra, Klipsch, MartinLogan, McIntosh, Paradigm, Phorus, Polk Audio, Wren, and more) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network: The Prime Wireless Speaker offers an Ethernet (RJ45) Input/Output and built-in, dual-band (2.4GHz + 5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) to connect to your home's network for access to internet radio, select online music services, and the music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device and Windows PC or DLNA music server via DTS Play-Fi wireless technology. When using WiFi, a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi speaker system to your wireless home network.
- You can perform WiFi setup via the Play-Fi app on your compatible mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network).
- You can also use the WPS button on back of speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Play-Fi App: The Play-Fi app (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) is required to enjoy DTS Play-Fi wireless audio. From the app you can initially set up the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker, as well as add, link, and control multiple DTS Play-Fi speakers and players. You'll be able stream music directly from select music online services and internet radio stations, or music on your mobile device or computer to a single DTS Play-Fi speaker, group of DTS Play-Fi speakers, or all your DTS Play-Fi speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: Through DTS Play-Fi wireless technology and the Play-Fi app, the Prime Wireless Speaker gives you access to a variety of music sources - including music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device, music content on your computer or DLNA service, as well as select online music services and internet radio.
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services & internet radio, including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more. Subscription & fees may apply.
- Mobile Devices: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from your Apple iOS & Android device running the Play-Fi app. Up to eight separate wireless mobile devices running the Play-Fi app, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- Computer Audio (DLNA Certified): The Prime Wireless Speaker System is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7-up) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA.
Supported Music Files: The Prime Wireless Speaker with DTS Play-Fi supports music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 24-bit/192kHz to a single speaker (Critical Listening Mode) or up to 16-bit/48kHz to multiple speakers (CD Quality). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and does not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Built-in DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio.
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS & Android devices with the Play-Fi App installed.
- Music libraries from your Windows PC, DLNA music server, or Mac computer (running 3rd party software).
- Analog & digital inputs, as well as Bluetooth audio.
6 Custom Presets: Six custom presets give you instant access via WiFi to your favorite music playlists, internet radio stations, and streaming music services that exist within the DTS Play-Fi app without needing the DTS Play-Fi app on your Apple iOS or Android device. You can simply walk up to the Prime Wireless Speaker System, push the knob to start a preset and your favorite music will start playing.
Alexa Compatible: The SVS Prime Wireless Speaker supports voice control of select DTS Play-Fi music apps (such as Amazon, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, & Spotify Connect) from an Amazon Alexa device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) that is connected to the same WiFi network. Voice control functions include initiating playback of an Artist, Album, Song, Station or Podcast from a compatible music app on a specific speaker/player or zone/room; as well a playback controls such as Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause/Resume, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat and Like/Unlike.