About the SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System
Compact size, room-filling home theater sound
Prime Satellite 5.1 System shown in Premium Black Ash.
Compact size, room-filling home theater sound
SVS's Prime Satellite 5.1 System is for home theater fans who want big, enveloping sound without cluttering the room with large speakers. Five of SVS's compact Prime Satellite speakers, and their acclaimed SB-1000 powered subwoofer combine to deliver a full-scale multichannel listening experience for movies and music.
Visually, this system may resemble home-theater-in-a-box packages, but sonically it plays in a different league entirely. You'll be gripped by dynamic, spacious, detailed sound, especially on movies.
Five identical speakers wrap you in seamless sound
In my home theater, I use three identical speakers in front, and they create a perfectly seamless soundstage. SVS's 5.1 System takes that concept a step further, with identical speakers for the fronts and surrounds. That means that as the sound shifts from side to side and front to back, you're never aware of any sonic gaps or holes.
Each Prime Satellite has a 4-1/2" woofer mounted in its own dedicated compartment, sealed off from the tweeter. The polypropylene cone material is lightweight and rigid, allowing the woofer to sound clear and natural through the midrange.
SVS's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is fitted with a special diffusor that keeps high frequencies sounding clean and clear, even when you crank up the volume.
Serious subwoofer power and finesse
As good as the Prime Satellites are, the real star of this system may be the subwoofer. The SB-1000 is one of SVS's smallest and most affordable subs, with a 12" woofer and 300-watt amp squeezed into a 13” cube. It pumps out loads of tight, clean bottom end, for movie action scenes that hit you in the gut, and music that never loses the beat.
- includes 5 matching satellite speakers
- 12" powered subwoofer with built-in 300-watt amplifier
- system frequency response: 24-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Prime Satellite Speakers (x5):
- 2-way design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- 4-1/2" polypropylene woofer
- frequency response: 69-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 20-150 watts
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear-firing port
- 5-way binding posts accept bare wire, pins, spade lugs, and banana connectors
- keyhole bracket for easy wall-mounting (mounting screws not included)
- 1/4" threaded brass insert for use with other mounting brackets
- elastomer stick-on bumper feet
- 4-15/16"W x 8-13/16"H x 6-3/8"D
- weight: 6.5 lbs. each
SB-1000 Powered Subwoofer:
- frequency response: 24-260 Hz (±3dB)
- lightweight, long-throw, front-firing 12" woofer
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 300 watts RMS of continuous power (720 watts peak dynamic power)
- advanced DSP processor maintains control over the subwoofer at all drive levels for refined, low-distortion sound
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet
- rear-mounted volume, crossover, phase, and power controls
- continuously variable low-pass 50-160 Hz crossover with a disable (LFE) setting for connecting an A/V receiver
- RCA/LFE line-level inputs
- speaker-level inputs
- 13-1/16"W x 13-1/2"H x 15-5/8"D
- weight: 27 lbs.
- MFR # Prime Sat 5.1 Sys BA
What's in the box:
- 5 Satellite loudspeakers (Prime series)
- Powered subwoofer (SB-1000)
- 5 Speaker grilles (installed)
- Subwoofer grille (installed)
- 6' AC power cord
- 20 Self-adhesive rubber bumpers
- Owner's Manual (for speakers)
- Owner's Manual (for sub)
- Important Safety Instructions
- SVS brochure
- Online Product Registration Card
SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System reviews
Great sound, I wish the sub woofer were wireless.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I love this entertainment system. I spoke to Sam the rep and I told him what I have in my car. I have the Infinity Koppa speakers and they are crystal clear on any volume. Which is what I was looking for in my home speakers. Sam instantly suggested this system and as usually the Reps know there stuff. It sounds amazing on any level and believe it or not I feel these are actually clearer than my Infinity speakers. I listen to movies and music on level 20 to 90 and it is crystal clear. The 300 watt sub woofer is amazing. The bass in songs is amazing or the explosion of a grenade or a shotgun is amazing when watching a movie. When I grill outside I put one speaker outside the back door for music and it still sounds great. I did the install all by myself and it was very user friendly. The total install was less than an hour. I am extremely happy with this system and I highly recommend it. Thanks to Crutchfield I can jam out in my car and at home!!!
2 of 2 found this helpful
Just got done watching mission impossible fallout. It ROCKED! I thought the sub was going to be too small, but I've loved it. I upgraded from a Bose system and haven't looked back.
3 of 3 found this helpful
First time SVS buyer, excellent product, worth the money. The build quality is very good, the shippment was on time, good packaging. Crutchfield was excellent.
Pros: Build quality Sound stage Subwoofer Clarity in vocals
1 of 2 found this helpful
I was in the market for a compact 5.1 system for our ski condo that would provide excellent sound without disturbing our neighbors [much]. I've never been remotely impressed with Bose so despite their compact size, they were never a consideration. Having read many professional reviews of this system and owning an SVS sub in our home theater in our primary residence I opted to give this system a try as I could get it shipped free; shipping through SVS directly or for RSL speakers (another consideration) is extremely expensive to my location. I am extremely satisfied with our purchase! The satellites are very detailed and air and the sub fills in the low end perfectly. We played digital music at various compression rates and the satellites clearly sounded better as the amount of compression decreased. The sub is very tight and tuneful, has authority, blends extremely well with the satellites but isn't a real bottom dweller that will shake things all over our condo. The larger SVS at our primary house caused us to eliminate incandescent bulbs, this was before LED bulbs were a thing. For larger spaces, I would suggest looking at larger speakers but for our space they work absolutely perfectly. I find them to be better for movies than music but certainly great at both for their size. Highly recommended!
Pros: Detailed Airy Musical satellites and sub Full, authoritative bass
Cons: Will not give you the lowest octaves in music and movies
5 of 5 found this helpful
More details on the SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||6|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4-1/2|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||31-36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|RMS Power Range (watts)||20-150|
|Subwoofer RMS Power (watts)||300|
|Main Speakers (inches)||8-13/16H x 4-15/16W x 6-3/8D|
|Center Speaker (inches)||8-13/16H x 4-15/16W x 6-3/8D|
|Surround Speakers (inches)||8-13/16H x 4-15/16W x 6-3/8D|
|Subwoofer (inches)||13-1/2H x 13-1/16W x 15-5/8D|
5 Prime Satellite Loudspeakers: The SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System includes five matching satellite loudspeakers that can be used as fronts, center, and surrounds in a 5.1ch home theater setup. Additional Prime Satellite loudspeakers (sold separately) can be purchased to create a 7.1ch or larger home theater setup.
1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The Prime Satellite speaker's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is light, efficient, and rigid, and plays crystal clear at high volumes for an exceptional transient response. The tweeter utilizes an FEA-optimized diffuser for even greater clarity with a sense of utter transparency, while also offering an "airy" presentation and incredibly unveiled highs so female vocals and dialogue always sound natural, crisp and smooth.
4.5" Mid-Woofer: Thoughtfully designed for acoustic excellence, the 4.5" mid-woofer is mounted in its own dedicated and completely sealed compartment to ensure smooth, precise and clear midrange and bass output that's free from coloration. The polypropylene cone material is extremely light and rigid and maintains a flat frequency response with excellent handling across the foundational mid-range frequencies. The mid-woofer also utilizes an aluminum shorting ring to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion, while its vented voice coil former minimizes air compression artifacts. The mid-woofer's cast ABS-fiberglass composite basket ensures precision component alignment and excellent thermal transfer.
SoundMatch Crossover Design: The innovative SoundMatch Crossover is a 2.3kHz (12dB/oct) two-way design with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors, and heavy-trace printed circuit boards. This high performance crossover network delivers outstanding phase coherency and time domain behavior. The crossover's tapered array offers expansive, yet focused and precise soundstage, resulting in accurate frequency response at all listening positions in the room. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures pinpoint accuracy of highs, mids, and lows, while maintaining pristine signal purity.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design: The Prime Satellite loudspeaker cabinet design offers a modern industrial feel with acoustic enhancements. The speaker cabinet's chamfered front baffle, flush-mounted drivers, tapered edges, and acoustically transparent FEA optimized grille minimize edge diffraction and improve on-axis high frequency response for clear, precise sound staging. Each speaker cabinet also utilizes a 1" wide-flared rear-firing port for greater efficiency and smoother response. All of these advancements are packed into a compact but attractive cabinet, that's available in a piano gloss black, piano gloss white or premium black ash finish.
5-Way Binding Posts: The SVS Prime Satellite loudspeakers are outfitted with 5-way binding post terminals for connection of bare wire, pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana connectors (single or dual). Use 18AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 10', 16AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 25', 14AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 50', and 12AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 75'.
Mounting Options: The SVS Prime Satellite loudspeakers offer flexible mounting options to suit your home theater application.
- Table-Top Mount: The Prime Satellite speakers can simply be placed on a stand, shelf, or table-top. Each satellite includes stick-on feet that can be attached to the bottom of the speakers to protect them when placed on speaker stands and other surfaces. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speakers.
- Wall-Mount: Each Prime Satellite loudspeaker comes with a pre-installed keyhole bracket that makes wall-mounting the speaker simple and convenient (mounting screws not included). There is also a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of each speaker cabinet for wall mounting the speakers using articulating wall-mount brackets (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Before hanging, be sure to attach a set of the included rubber bumpers to each lower back corner of the Prime Satellite (these will help keep the speaker level, and prevent spinning on the wall).
Placement: Proper placement of the front, center and surround speakers is essential to achieve the smoothest frequency response, optimal imaging and the most spacious, three-dimensional soundstage.
- Front Speakers: Stereo imaging and soundstage are affected by loudspeaker location and the listening position, relative to each other and room boundaries. Moving the loudspeakers away from room boundaries will tend to improve stereo imaging and spaciousness by attenuating and delaying boundary reflections, thus optimizing direct sound and helping to preserve spatial information in the recording. Toeing-in the loudspeakers 5°-10° can often improve imaging, however this is also a function of the distance from nearby boundaries and the ratio of direct-to-reflected sound, so experimentation with toe-in is recommended to obtain optimal results. The location of the front loudspeakers relative to nearby boundaries will excite various "room modes" which will affect the bass response of the loudspeakers. Generally, placing the loudspeakers closer to room boundaries (particularly corners) will increase the bass response. Conversely, moving the loudspeakers away from boundaries and corners will reduce the bass response.
- Center Speaker: The center channel should be placed directly on-axis, relative to the primary seating position. As with the main front speakers, placing the tweeter at/near head level when seated is optimal. But depending on the placement of the video display or projection screen, this is not always possible. If the center channel must be located below head level, then an upward tilt of the speaker is recommended to improve mid/high frequency response and dialog intelligibility
- Surround Speakers: In a 5.1ch system, the side surround speakers should be located 90°-110° off-axis. For the best sense of spaciousness, the tweeter height should be about 2' above ear level. In a 7.1ch system (requires another pair of Prime Satellite speakers - sold separately), dedicated rear surround speakers are placed behind the primary seating position for enhanced rear panning effects. Place the rear surround speakers at 135°-150° off-axis, relative to the primary seating position. As with the side surround speakers, position the rear surround tweeters about 2' above head level when seated.
Note: Dedicated room treatments like absorbers, diffusers and bass traps (all sold separately) can greatly improve the sound quality of any listening environment, and are encouraged to extract the absolute best performance from any loudspeaker system.
SB-1000 Powered Subwoofer: The SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 System includes the SVS SB-1000 powered subwoofer with a 12" high output woofer and STA-300D Sledge amplifier rated at 300 watts RMS and 720 watts Peak. The SB-1000 provides a variety of connection options and is equipped with variable controls.
12" High Output Woofer: The front-firing 12" high output woofer of the SVS SB-1000 powered subwoofer pumps out deep and powerful bass with low distortion, for smooth and accurate performance on music and movies soundtracks. The woofer features a lightweight 12" cone for enhanced sensitivity and transient response, a long-throw suspension for high output at low frequencies, plus a rubber surround for durability and long-life. It also incorporates FEA-optimized motor technology for low distortion, high-power voice coil for excellent thermal management, and vented pole piece for greater cooling.
STA-300D Sledge Amplifier: The SB-1000 powered subwoofer employs a Sledge STA-300D amplifier with efficient and cool-running Class D topology. The amplifier is conservatively rated at 300 watts RMS and 720 watts Peak. This amp features a highly advanced DSP processor offering unmatched control over the subwoofer at all volume levels, for distortion free bass.
Rigid Sealed Enclosure: The SVS SB-1000 powered subwoofer features a rigid and strong cabinet to resist unwanted distortion caused by vibration. The enclosure is an acoustic suspension (sealed) design for tight, accurate bass response. The cabinet is elegantly finished in a premium black ash wood-grain vinyl or gloss piano-black lacquer, and fits with practically any décor.
Variable Controls: The SB-1000 subwoofer has simple and straightforward control options that make integrating the subwoofer into your listening environment an easy task. The control knobs are actually digital actuators for precise and noise-free adjustment.
- Volume Control: The Volume Control (Min/Max) affects how loud the subwoofer plays. It should be adjusted to match the output level of your loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: This Low Pass Crossover affects the
upper frequency limit of the powered sub. The control
range is 50-160 Hz, along with a "LFE" (disabled) setting. The slope of the low pass crossover is 12 dB/octave. For connection to a home theater receiver, the low pass should be set to "LFE" (disabled). For stereo receiver, it should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers.
- Phase Control: The Phase Control (0-180°) delays the signal being processed through the amplifier. It should be adjusted to obtain the most coherent and stable soundstage and transition between your loudspeakers and the powered subwoofer.
Low-Level and High-Level Connectivity: Comprehensive and flexible connectivity with low-level or high-level options allow for easy set-up and integration into your home theater or stereo system
- LFE/RCA Inputs: These unbalanced RCA inputs are used for line-level connections between your receiver and the powered sub. For a single mono connection to a home theater receiver, use the R/LFE input. For stereo receivers, use both the L/R inputs.
- Speaker Inputs: This connection method is for 2-channel stereo applications where the integrated amplifier or stereo receiver only has high-level (i.e., speaker-level) outputs. The powered sub's speaker inputs consist of 5-way binding posts that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (dual or single).
- RCA Outputs: These unbalanced RCA outputs are used in stereo applications to high pass the signal being sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80 Hz 12 dB/octave high pass filter.
Placement Options: If possible, place the subwoofer near the front stage, for best blending with the front and center loudspeaker channels.
- Corner Placement: Corner placement will accommodate most rooms and will reduce the chances for encountering a null (an acoustic cancellation in the bass response) at the listening position. If your AV receiver equalizes the subwoofer channel during auto-set-up, corner placement will often provide the best overall performance.
- Other Placement Options: If corner placement sound excessively boomy, then try moving the subwoofer to other available locations along the front stage, listening for the best balance of output and a smooth accurate response. Always redo the auto-set-up of your AV receiver after moving the subwoofer to a different location to ensure the acoustic distance and calibration level are set correctly.
- Dual Subs: To maximize the bass output and impact of your home theater, two SB-1000s can be paired; one on either side of your room.
Auto/Standby & On Switch: If this switch is set to "Auto/Standby", it will automatically turn-on the powered subwoofer in the presence of an audio signal. If no signal is present for a period of several minutes, the powered subwoofer will enter "Standby" mode, where power consumption will be less than 0.5 watts. If this switch is set to "On", the amplifier will remain on continuously and will not enter "Standby" mode.
Power Status Light: The power status light is located on the front-panel of the powered subwoofer in the upper left corner. The light will illuminate blue when the amplifier is on. The light will illuminate red when the amplifier is in standby mode.
3V-12V Trigger Input: When in standby mode, the powered sub's trigger input (3.5mm) can be used to automatically turn on the powered subwoofer if a signal is sent to this input from another component in the system (like your AV receiver) that features a trigger output
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?