About the SVS Prime Tower
Powerful sound without overpowering your decor
Powerful sound without overpowering your decor
With a cabinet that measures just 8" wide and 36" tall, SVS's Prime Tower is what we'd call a "compact tower." But there's nothing compact about the sound it produces. With engineering and design cues taken from SVS's much costlier Ultra Series speakers, the Prime Tower sounds big and authoritative on music and movies, with effortless dynamics and a large, stable soundstage.
Mastering the science and art of speaker design
SVS begins the speaker design process with extensive computer modeling, which helps them zero in on the right driver, crossover, and cabinet characteristics. Then, like other world-class speaker companies, they test each design in an anechoic chamber, which eliminates the effects of room reflections, to ensure highly accurate measurements.
The third and most critical step involves lots of listening. SVS's listening room was specifically designed to resemble a typical living room. The engineering team listens to familiar tracks over and over, working toward sound that is both accurate and emotionally engaging. This is where the art of listening balances out scientific measurement.
SVS designs every driver in-house
While many companies build their speakers using off-the-shelf components, SVS designs all their drivers in-house. This is a huge advantage because it gives them complete control over how the drivers, crossover, and cabinet interact.
SVS describes the Prime Tower as a 3.5-way design. That's because each of the dual woofers has a separate internal compartment in the cabinet with its own custom port tuning frequency and crossover point. That allows the bottom woofer to focus on low-bass frequencies, while the upper one provides more of a transition between the midrange and bass.
The 4.5-inch midrange driver is also mounted in its own dedicated and completely sealed compartment to ensure a smooth, precise and clear midrange, free from coloration. The midrange and woofer cones are made of lightweight, rigid polypropylene, which responds quickly to musical signals.
SVS's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is fitted with a special diffusor that keeps high frequencies sounding clean and clear, even when you crank up the volume.
Build a complete Prime system
- 3.5-way design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter
- 4-1/2" polypropylene midrange driver
- dual 6-1/2" polypropylene woofers
- frequency response: 30-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 20-250 watts
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- bass-reflex cabinet with dual rear-firing ports
- separate sealed midrange enclosure shifts standing waves beyond the driver pass band, improving sound quality
- separate woofer enclosures with optimized port tuning frequencies for smooth, accurate bass response
- chamfered front baffle and flush-mounted drivers reduce edge diffraction and improve high frequency response
- 5-way binding posts accept bare wire, pins, spade lugs, and banana connectors
- two sets of threaded adjustable feet: spikes for carpeted floors, and elastomer isolation feet for hard floors
- removable cloth grille
- 8"W x 36-5/8"H x 11-11/16"D
- weight: 40.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Prime Tower - PG
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 4 Elastomer isolation feet (pre-installed)
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Nuts
- 4 Protective discs
- Owner's Manual
- SVS brochure
- Online Product Registration Card
SVS Prime Tower reviews
Outstanding tonal quality and sound reproduction. Perform as advertised, highly satisfied with my SVS Tower speaker selection.
Pros: Smaller footprint for big sound, 3 way speaker for accurate frequency response
Cons: Can't be played really softly
1 of 1 found this helpful
i am by no means a audiophile ,the svs prime towers far exceeded my expectations.after 15 yrs. with klipcsh sf 2 i never knew my music could sound this much better. 20 hours and they just keep getting better. thanks crutchfield good advice and service
2 of 2 found this helpful
Absolutely fantastic sounding speaker thanks
0 of 1 found this helpful
Great product and fast delivery. Now the fun begins! Kudo's to Crutchfield for a last minute delivery upgrade to a Saturday due to bad weather. Thanks!
1 of 1 found this helpful
The best sound for the $ Hands down! I have the hk3770, prime towers, sb2000 for my new game room system and I don't usually leave reviews but svs earned this one.Clean highs , voices are clear and natural and the bass is just phenomenal.
Pros: Sound quality, for $. Packaging and delivery was fast and without damage.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Exactly want I was hoping for in sound quality and finish. Balanced sound but gets big when pushed. Piano gloss finish is perfect and presents as a much more expensive speaker. Can be right at home in a high end living enviorment with no problem. My first major purchase from Crutchfield and they were the best to work with. Product came on time as promised. Great experiance.
3 of 3 found this helpful
I purchased the SVS Prime towers based on reviews. Everyone hears sound and tone differently and unfortunately the SVS Primes were a little on the bright side for ME so I wound up returning them. Crutchfield was amazing as always with the return. With that said, I would not hesitate to recommend these speakers to anyone looking for a speaker with a brighter tone. They are well built. Look good. They sounded great with a wide sound stage. Had no trouble filling my 13' x 19' room with crisp clear sound. But it is that crisp clear sound that I found a little cringe worthy at times. In the end I wound up going up in price to the Focal Aria 926's. I won't compare the two because it is not a fair comparison with the price difference. The Aria's just had the right sound for ME.
Pros: Solid Construction Wide Sound Stage A lot of Speaker for the Money
Cons: Too bright for my taste
7 of 9 found this helpful
Nice crisp sounds specially wt my vinyl records.
2 of 3 found this helpful
I'm used to having big speakers these guys aren't exactly small but they sound bigger than they are
Pros: Great sound
Cons: None yet
3 of 5 found this helpful
More details on the SVS Prime Tower
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||30-25k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The Prime Tower speaker's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is light, efficient, and rigid, and plays crystal clear at high volumes for an exceptional transient response. The tweeter utilizes an FEA-optimized diffuser for even greater clarity with a sense of utter transparency, while also offering an "airy" presentation and incredibly unveiled highs so female vocals and dialogue always sound natural, crisp and smooth.
Polypropylene Midrange & Woofers: The Prime Tower speaker houses one 4.5" polypropylene midrange driver and two 6.5" polypropylene woofers. The polypropylene cone material is extremely light and rigid and maintains a flat frequency response with excellent handling across the foundational midrange and bass frequencies. The driver's cast ABS-fiberglass composite basket ensures precision component alignment and excellent thermal transfer. Each driver also employs a vented voice coil former to minimize air compression artifacts.
- 4.5" Midrange Driver: Thoughtfully designed for acoustic excellence, the 4.5" midrange drive is mounted in its own dedicated and completely sealed compartment to ensure smooth, precise and clear midrange that's free from coloration.
- Dual 6.5" Woofers: The two 6.5" woofers employ a rugged motor and long-stroke suspension for high output. The woofers also utilize aluminum shorting rings to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion.
SoundMatch Crossover Design: The innovative SoundMatch Crossover is a 3.5-way design with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors, and heavy-trace printed circuit boards. This high performance crossover network delivers outstanding phase coherency and time domain behavior. The crossover's tapered array offers expansive, yet focused and precise soundstage, resulting in accurate frequency response at all listening positions in the room. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures pinpoint accuracy of highs, mids, and lows, while maintaining pristine signal purity.
- Midrange-to-Tweeter Crossover: 2.1 kHz (12 dB/octave slopes)
- Top Woofer-to-Midrange Crossover: 350 Hz (12 dB/octave slopes)
- Bottom Woofer-to-Midrange Crossover: 165 Hz (12 dB/octave slopes)
5-Way Binding Posts: The SVS Prime Tower loudspeaker is outfitted with 5-way binding post terminals for connection of bare wire, pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana connectors (single or dual). Use 18AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 10', 16AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 25', 14AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 50', and 12AWG speaker wire for wire runs up to 75'.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design: The Prime Tower utilizes a FEA-optimized MDF cabinet with internal bracing to eliminate resonances. The speaker cabinet's chamfered front baffle, flush-mounted drivers, tapered edges, and acoustically transparent FEA optimized grille minimize edge diffraction and improve on-axis high frequency response for clear, precise sound staging. A separate sealed midrange enclosure improves sound quality and enhances imaging, while dual 1.7" wide-flared rear-firing ports provide greater efficiency and smoother bass response. All of these advancements are packed into an attractive cabinet, that's available in a piano gloss black or premium black ash finish.
Elastomer & Spike Feet: The Prime Tower speaker comes packaged with two sets of feet options that allow optimal placement on a variety of floor substrates. The elastomer isolation feet that come pre-installed on the Prime Tower are perfect for hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The elastomer isolation feet can be removed and replaced with the included threaded metal spikes that are designed for carpeted floors. If you want to use the metal spikes on hardwood, tile, laminate, or vinyl flooring, then use the included protective discs under the spike feet to protect your floors. Both sets of feet are threaded to allow easy leveling of the Prime Tower if it should stand on an uneven surface.
- Dimensions w/ Elastomer Feet: 8.0" (w) x 36.625" (h) x 11.6875" (d)
- Dimension w/ Spike Feet: 8.0" (w) x 37.0" (h) x 11.6875" (d)
- Dimensions w/ Spikes & Discs: 8.0" (w) x 37.0625" (h) x 11.6875" (d)
Note: The Prime Tower speaker should not be used without one type of feet installed.
Applications & Placement: The SVS Prime Tower loudspeaker can be used in a dedicated 2.1ch stereo setup or in a multichannel home theater system as fronts and/or surrounds. Proper placement of the front and surround speakers is essential to achieve the smoothest frequency response, optimal imaging and the most spacious, three-dimensional soundstage.
- Front Speaker: Stereo imaging and soundstage are affected by loudspeaker location and the listening position, relative to each other and room boundaries. Moving the loudspeakers away from room boundaries will tend to improve stereo imaging and spaciousness by attenuating and delaying boundary reflections, thus optimizing direct sound and helping to preserve spatial information in the recording. Toeing-in the loudspeakers 5°-10° can often improve imaging, however this is also a function of the distance from nearby boundaries and the ratio of direct-to-reflected sound, so experimentation with toe-in is recommended to obtain optimal results. The location of the front loudspeakers relative to nearby boundaries will excite various "room modes" which will affect the bass response of the loudspeakers. Generally, placing the loudspeakers closer to room boundaries (particularly corners) will increase the bass response. Conversely, moving the loudspeakers away from boundaries and corners will reduce the bass response.
- Surround Speaker: In a 5.1ch system, the side surround speakers should be located 90°-110° off-axis. In a 7.1ch system, dedicated rear surround speakers are placed behind the primary seating position for enhanced rear panning effects. Place the rear surround speakers at 135°-150° off-axis, relative to the primary seating position.
Note: Dedicated room treatments like absorbers, diffusers and bass traps (all sold separately) can greatly improve the sound quality of any listening environment, and are encouraged to extract the absolute best performance from any loudspeaker system.
Prime Series: The Prime series of loudspeakers from SVS consist of two floorstanding speakers (Prime Tower / Prime Pinnacle, a bookshelf speaker (Prime Bookshelf), a center channel speaker (Prime Center), a surround speaker (Prime Elevation), and a satellite speaker (Prime Satellite) - all sold separately. The SVS Prime series delivers pinpoint accuracy, powerful dynamics, exceptional clarity, and an immersive audio experience.
Optional Powered Sub: A SVS powered sub (sold separately) makes a great addition to the Prime series of loudspeakers.