About the SVS SB-3000
A compact powerhouse from SVS
A compact powerhouse from SVS
Here's a constant tension in my household: on the one side, there's me wanting huge home theater speakers, and on the other side, there's my partner wanting enough space so she can easily navigate through our living room. SVS has a solution for folks like me: their all-new SB-3000 delivers seismic bass that satisfies low-frequency cravings, but with a compact footprint that won't take over the room. Talk about win-win!
I believe the SB-3000 to be one of the company's best subwoofer values to date. Use it with confidence for exceptional low-frequency performance with music, movies, and video game soundtracks.
From the Stereophile review
"The SB-3000's pitch-perfect room-pressurizing bass, small size, low weight, rugged construction, and reliable smartphone app make it an outstanding choice for small to moderate-sized rooms. New lows in reference subwoofer performance, indeed!”
— Larry Greenhill, Stereophile, September 2019
Class A rating in Stereophile's "Recommended Components," Spring 2020 Edition
The SB-3000 sports SVS's new rear-panel touch controls, which make changing settings simple and intuitive (shown in piano gloss black).
Goal number one: move a lot of air
I'll get into the more nuanced aspects of this sub in a moment. But first things first: the SB-3000's most notable trait is its sheer brute strength. Its heavily braced enclosure houses a massive 13" woofer. This exceptionally large surface area means there's a ton of bass wave generation.
This mammoth driver is powered by an 800-watt RMS amplifier which allows it to produce commanding bass all the way down to 18 Hz (that's dipping into subsonic territory — bass you feel but can't hear).
Simply put, this sub is a beast. But its hard-hitting bass isn't sloppy or undefined. To the contrary, it offers a high degree of accuracy and low-frequency definition.
Simple control from the sub or your phone
SVS has made the SB-3000 a breeze to operate and control. On the back panel is a new Intelligent Control Interface, which uses touch buttons and an LED bar to make changing DSP settings, volume, and other audio adjustments straightforward.
You can also control this sub via a free app on your phone, which lets you select your room's layout, change audio settings, tweak crossover and volume levels, and switch listening modes right from your seat.
Bass tailored to your room
SVS knows that a sub's performance is largely determined by the acoustics of your room, and your subwoofer's position within it. Thankfully, this sub doesn't have to be wrangled into the one and only perfect spot in your room. It offers a host of sound adjustments that let you get great sound wherever it's located.
Use the app to adjust crossover frequencies, parametric EQ settings, polarity, room gain, and other bass management functions. You can even save up to three groups of tailored settings as presets. These let you set up and switch between "listening modes" for a particular time of day or entertainment source. For instance, you can easily dial the bass down for nighttime listening.
- frequency response: 18-270 Hz (±3 dB)
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 800 watts RMS of continuous power (2,500 watts peak dynamic power)
- front-firing 13" aluminum vented cone woofer
- all-new high-density cast aluminum basket provides outstanding rigidity, tensile strength, and energy transfer
- acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure
- rear-panel Intelligent Control Interface with backlit touch controls and LED display
- full-featured control via Bluetooth® for Apple® and Android™ devices
- app-based control of crossover frequencies, parametric EQ, polarity, and other bass management functions
- bi-directional feedback shows adjustments in real time in both app and the subwoofer's display
- selectable room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope to better match bass to room size
- three digital Parametric EQ filters with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values
- variable low-pass crossover
- variable phase control (0-180°)
- line-level/LFE RCA inputs
- main power on/off switch plus auto standby/on mode
- detachable high-current 6-foot power cord
- non-resonant steel mesh grille
- black ash wood veneer finish
- 15-1/4"W x 15-5/8"H x 17-13/16"D (with grille)
- weight: 54.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SB3000-Blk Ash
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Online Registration Card
- SVS brochure
SVS SB-3000 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the SVS SB-3000
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||13|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||Stereo RCA/LFE|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||30-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||800|
|Frequency Response||18-270 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||5 Years|
13" High Output Woofer: The SVS SB-3000 features an all-new 13" aluminum vented cone woofer and composite fiber dustcap with exceptional stiffness-to-mass ratio, plus a long-throw parabolic surround and proprietary injection molded gasket that ensures longevity and flawless pistonic motion for pinpoint control and accuracy. A flat edge wound split-wind voice coil within the motor assembly provides effortless, on-demand power at the highest excursion levels, while reducing mass and improving overall driver efficiency. The dual ferrite magnet motor assembly, weighing nearly 25lbs, generates massive amounts of current to produce extreme driver excursion with precise control for deep, accurate, and authoritative bass.
Sledge STA800D2 Amplifier: Conservatively rated at 800 watts RMS / 2500 watts Peak power, the Sledge STA-800D2 amplifier maximizes the full potential of the 13"driver with effortless power and absolute control. The innovative design combines the efficiency of a Class D amplifier with the ability to move large amounts of current through the fully discrete MOSFETs, enabling immense output with exceptional precision resulting in outstanding real-world subwoofer performance at all volume levels. The Sledge STA800D2 amplifier utilizes a sophisticated 50Mhz High Resolution Analog Devices Audio DSP that is one of the most advanced digital processors ever used in a subwoofer. Its the "brains" behind the serious brawn of the Class D amplifier that maintains pinpoint accuracy and pristine sound quality through advanced in-room tuning, optimized frequency response curves, powerful DSP controls and more.
Acoustically Inert Sealed Cabinet: A double-thick MDF front baffle and extensive internal bracing in the acoustically optimized SB-3000 Series sealed cabinet create a resonance-free environment that serves as a blank canvas for uncompromised subwoofer performance. Acoustic insulation eliminates all coloration or resonance from the cabinet, even when the deepest low frequencies are played at reference volume. The subwoofer cabinet also includes protective, non-resonant steel mesh grille and custom elastomer feet for reducing noise artifacts within a room.
Rear-Panel Intelligent Control Interface (ICI): The Intelligent Control Interface (ICI) on the rear-panel of the SB-3000 cabinet provides control options for the subwoofer's most critical functions. Adjustments can be made for volume (-60 to 0dB) based on listening preferences and content to achieve full and balanced bass response. Other features of the ICI include a low-pass filter (30-200Hz) to ensure smooth sonic transitions and seamless blending with loudspeakers and phase control (0-180°) to shift timing of subwoofer output to align with main speakers or additional subwoofers.
SVS Subwoofer App: The SVS Subwoofer app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.3+) ) is the most convenient way ever to control volume, access multiple DSP functions and program custom presets for one-touch tuning optimized for music, movies, gaming, and more from your Bluetooth-connected Apple iOS or Android mobile device. Adjust crossover frequencies, a three-band parametric EQ, polarity, room gain and more from your favorite seat. The SVS subwoofer app also allows advanced customization so you can name the subwoofer for easy preset switching, choose the subwoofer standby mode and reset the subwoofer to factory settings. Bluetooth connectivity allows full control, even when the subwoofer is out of sight and bi-directional feedback shows adjustments in real-time on both the app and rear-panel subwoofer interface.
- Volume Level: The Volume Level (-60 to 0dB) affects how loud the subwoofer plays. It should be adjusted to match the output level of your loudspeakers. Setting the level too high will cause the bass to seem bloated and is the single most common cause of bad sounding subwoofers. Setting it too low will cause your movie or music soundtracks to sound "thin" and less dynamic.
- Low Pass Crossover: This Low Pass Crossover affects the upper frequency limit of the powered sub. The control range is 30-200Hz, along with a "LFE" (disabled) setting. The slope of the low pass crossover can be set 6, 12, 18, or 24dB/octave. For connection to a home theater receiver, the low pass should be set to "LFE" (disabled). For stereo receiver, it should be adjusted to blend with the natural roll-off frequency of your loudspeakers.
- Phase Adjustment: The Phase Adjustment (0-180°) solves sound wave cancellation issues at specific frequencies and perfectly aligns the arrival of output from speakers and subwoofers to your listening position. Normally set to 0° if the subwoofer is near the main speakers. Adjusting Phase shifts timing of the subwoofer output to align with the main speakers or additional subwoofers.
- Polarity Switch: In some cases, reversing polarity (Positive or Negative) solves dips or humps at the crossover frequency between a subwoofer and speaker and can be used to fix bass nulls or overly boomy spots in the listening area. Reversing the electrical polarity of the subwoofer amplifier makes it so the woofer moves in when speaker drivers move out and is normally set to positive.
- Parametric EQ: The built-in Parametric EQ is a powerful tool for removing peaks and dips in your listening area, and for creating custom subwoofer output based on personal listening preferences. It allows you to set the desired center frequency of the filter (20-200Hz), increase or decrease the SPL dB of the filter (-12 to 6.0dB), or adjust the bandwidth of the filter (0.2-10.0).
- Room Gain Compensation: The Room Gain Compensation feature fixes bloated sounding bass by optimizing low frequency output and extension when too much sound wave density is being created by a small room. The RGC frequency can be set to 25, 31, or 40Hz; while the RGC slope can be set to 6 or 12dB.
- Presets: You can store up to three preset settings for movie, music and custom. This enables easy switching to optimize the SB-3000's output and settings based on your specific listening preferences with different kinds of content. If using the SVS App, these presets can be renamed as desired.
RCA Inputs & Outputs: Unbalanced RCA inputs are used for line-level connection between your receiver and the powered sub. For a single mono connection to a home theater receiver, use the R/LFE input. For stereo receivers, use both the L/R inputs. Use the Left and Right RCA outputs on the SB-3000 to daisy-chain additional powered subwoofers.
Note: If you want to add wireless connectivity via the SVS SoundPath Wireless Adapter (946SNDPATH, sold separately), the SB-3000 conveniently includes a USB input on the rear cabinet to easily power the wireless receiver.
Placement Options: The location of your subwoofer in the listening environment can affect its performance. If possible, start with corner placement on the same wall as the front speakers, or anywhere along the front stage in between or outside of your main speakers.
- Corner Placement: Corner placement of a subwoofer reduces the potential to encounter nulls, which are acoustic cancellation points or "dead spots" in the room. While this can often make for hugely impactful bass, it can sometimes result in a "boomy" sound depending on your listening position. If you experience this, you can use the tuning controls to blend your SB-3000 more smoothly with your speakers or try pulling it further away from the walls to smooth out the bass response.
- Front Placement: Front of the room placement in between or just to the side of the front channel speakers is another common choice. Front of the room placement usually results in the best blending with the main speakers and center channel and minimizes localization effects.
- Side Wall Placement: Side wall placement is less frequently used but can be an effective subwoofer location for excellent accuracy and output.
Note: To maximize the bass output and impact of your home theater, two SB-3000s can be paired; one on either side of your room.
Auto On/Standby: With the "Auto On/Standby" feature activated, the powered sub will automatically turn-on when an audio signal is sensed and automatically turn off if there is no audio signal for several minutes. There is also a Main Power On/Off switch located on the back of the powered sub.
3V-12V Trigger Input: When in standby mode, the powered sub's trigger input (3.5mm) can be used to automatically turn on the powered subwoofer if a signal is sent to this input from another component in the system (like your AV receiver) that features a trigger output.
1 question already asked