About the K40 Platinum100
K40 offers radar with convenience and smarts
K40 offers radar with convenience and smarts
The Platinum100 radar detector from K40 makes driving less stressful by giving you plenty of advance warning and long-range protection, plus built-in GPS technology for intelligent marking of known trouble spots, enforcement areas, and recurring false alerts. K40 knows you want a smooth journey so they outfitted the Platinum100 with high-performance parts (like a low-noise amplifier) and lightning-fast filters so you can enjoy your time on the road without distractions. And in a pure baller move, there's even a version of the K40 Platinum100 that includes a wireless remote control, so you can take charge of the action without reaching for the detctor.
System control at your fingertips
The K40 Platinum100 offers the first ever wireless remote control for a windshield-mounted radar detector. With this handy remote riding shotgun, you can customize and control your detector without taking your eyes off the road. The compact remote includes buttons for menu, dimmer, power, mute, Mark to Mute, Mark to Alert, Quiet Ride, and city/highway sensitivity adjustments, plus volume controls.
Sweet OLED display
The Platinum100's multicolor OLED screen gives you plenty of info at a glance, including your direction of travel, current speed, and a clock, When an alert happens, you can see the signal type and strength detected in a 3- or 5-band bar graph, and you've got many options for what else you'd like to see. Six dimmer modes (including "off") let you control the ambience to suit your comfort level.
The Platinum100's GPS-based features include:
- Mark to Mute — allows you to mute radar and laser alerts from non-police sources such as automatic doors in a specific GPS location;
- Mark to Alert — lets you mark and unmark any location, including specific threats such as speed traps, school zones, and red light cameras;
- Quiet Ride — silence alerts when traveling below a preset speed;
- Speed Monitor — constant audio and visual alerts for the driver to slow down when a pre-set speed is exceeded;
- AutoFilter — automatically adjusts sensitivity based on vehicle speed
Audible warnings, too
The Platinum100 also offers audible warnings when a threat is detected, including voice alerts that warn you about the specific radar band targeting your car. The audio warnings also include a “Geiger” alert that increases in intensity as you get closer to the incoming signal source.
The Platinum100's K-band filter weeds out signals from non-police K-band radar sources, including vehicle safety systems that are radar-based such as adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, and lane departure warning systems — it'll even filter out K-band transmissions from your own vehicle. The traffic sensor filter offers the ability to filter out K-band signals from traffic flow sensors.
Detects newer technology
Have you heard about MRCD and MRCT radars? Chances are you haven't, because they're relatively new forms of radar that use frequency-modulated bands, which makes them harder to detect than your old-school X-, K-, and Ka-band signals. The Platinum100 will detect MRCD and MRCT threats, so you can be sure it won't ruin your day if they're in use nearby. It also detects incoming laser threats, and K40's trusty RDD Guard keeps you safe from radar detector detectors, too.
This detector offers multiple user-programmable settings, giving you control over every parameter; you can choose which bands are monitored, and control the Quiet Ride and Speed Monitor functions. The mute function includes multiple options including automatic volume reduction.
The package includes a suction-cup swivel mount, a coiled power cord with 12-volt outlet adapter, and a straight power cord that you can use to hardwire the detector in your vehicle.
Sorry, but we cannot ship radar detectors to Virginia or the District of Columbia.
- radar/laser detector featuring GPS protection
- suction-cup windshield mount, coiled power cord, straight power cord, and extra fuses
- headphone jack
- mini-USB input
- multi-color OLED display
- detects all X, K, and Ka police radar bands, plus MRCD/CT
- laser detection
- low-noise amplifier (LNA) receiver boosts signal for long-range warning
- digital voice and audio tone alerts for radar, laser, and MRCD/CT
- Traffic Sensor Filter rejects alerts from roadside traffic flow sensors
- sensitivity modes: Highway, City, and AutoCity (speed-based)
- K-Band Filter (KBF) rejects alerts from radar based safety features like collision avoidance and adaptive cruise control
- filtration modes: Highway, City, Filter, Auto-Filter (speed-based)
- RDD Guard provides protection from radar detector detection (RDD)
- 25 programmable features
- Mute, Extended Mute, and Auto Volume options
- All Threat Mode
- Mark to Mute silences false stationary alerts
- Mark to Alert for specific GPS locations like red-light cameras
- Quiet Ride silences alerts until you exceed a selected speed
- Speed Monitor over-speed alert
- AutoFilter automatically adjusts sensitivity based on vehicle speed.
- speed, clock, and compass display
- dimensions: 3-5/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 4-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # K40-100
What's in the box:
- Radar/laser detector
- 9.5' Straight power cord with vehicle power adapter
- 3.5' Coiled power cord
- Two 2A Spare fuses
- Windshield mount with 2.5" suction cup
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Registration for Ticket-Free Driving
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the K40 Platinum100
Features & specs
|X Band Radar||Yes|
|K Band Radar||Yes|
|KA Photo Radar||Yes|
|KA Wideband Radar||Yes|
|VG-2 Protection||RDD Guard|
|Display & Alerts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The K40 Platinum100 is the first portable radar/laser detector that comes with an option for a wireless remote control. The optional remote (not included) lets you choose whether to control your detector with the top-mounted buttons, or with the remote control. The Platinum100 comes with two power cords -- one coiled and one straight -- and a strong suction cup windshield mount.
Note: The Platinum100 with the remote included is available here.
Radar/Laser Detection: The Platinum100 can detect the following radar bands and frequencies:
- X-band: 10.500-10.550 GHz
- K-band: 23.950-24.285 GHz
- Ka-band: 33.400-36.000 GHz
- Laser: 830-945 nanometers
Radar Band Selectivity: The Platinum100 lets you choose specific band frequency ranges in the K- and Ka-bands. Selecting the specific frequency ranges used only by law enforcement helps to reduce false alerts and making your drive quieter. The selections are as follows:
- K-Band Selectivity:
- K Wide: This default setting scans the standard range of K-Band frequencies that police radar guns can use. (scans 24.026 - 24.285 GHz)
- K Narrow: This setting scans only the primary frequencies used by police radar guns. (scans 24.080 - 24.200 GHz)
- K Extended: This setting extends the scan above and below the standard range of frequencies used by police radar guns now and in the future. (scans 23.950 - 24.285 GHz)
- Ka-Band Selectivity:
- Ka Wide: Ka Wide is the default setting that scans the entire range of Ka-Band frequencies that police radar guns can use. (scans 33.4 - 36.0 GHz)
- Ka Narrow: Ka Narrow scans only the primary frequencies in the Ka-Band used by police for speed enforcement. (scans 33.7 - 33.9 GHz, 34.6 - 34.8 GHz, and 35.4 - 35.6 GHz)
MultaRadar Photo Radar: The Platinum100 can alert you to the presence of MRCD/CT photo radar device in limited use areas. You can enable MRCD/CT photo radar detection in the menu, when needed. An MRCD/CT Filter can be turned on to reduce false alerts when MRCD/CT detection is enabled.
Optional Laser Defusers: Optional K40 Laser Defusers help you to become invisible to police laser guns. Laser Defusers are professionally installed around your vehicle, and up to 5 Defuser transponders can be plugged into the Platinum100 via a single interface. K40 Laser Defusers are available directly from the manufacturer. If installed, the defusers can be configured to one of three operational settings: Constant Transmit, Pulse Transmit, or Receive Only.
Advanced Filter Settings: The K40 Platinum100 offers the following Filter Modes:
- Highway: This default setting detects all types of North American approved police radar (X, K, Ka) at full sensitivity. This is recommended for highway travel, or for areas in which you are unfamiliar with the types of radar used.
- City: The City mode reduces the range and sensitivity of X-band, K-band, and Ka-bands. This can be used in urban areas where there are minimal non-police radar signals.
- Filter: In this mode, X-band detection is eliminated and K and Ka band are reduced even further. This is best for congested traffic areas where there is a high concentration of non-police radar signals.
- Auto: The range and sensitivity on all radar bands are based on the vehicle's speed. At lower speeds, the sensitivity is relatively low. As your speed increases, the range and sensitivity of the radar detection is raised:
- Up to 45 mph: Filter setting sensitivity is selected.
- 45 to 55mph: the detector chooses City mode.
- 56 mph and over: the Highway setting is selected.
K-Band / Ka-Band Filtering: The K40 Platinum100 rejects alerts from modern K-Band radar-based in-vehicle technology. Safety features, such as Lane Departure Warning and Collision Avoidance are filtered out. In addition, non-police radar signals on the Ka-Band, such as other radar detectors and satellite broadcast bands, can be rejected. Ka-Band Filtering can be enabled or disable in the menu.
Traffic Sensor Filter: The Platinum100 will reject alerts caused by traffic flow sensors that can typically be found along some highways. A special K-Band Traffic Sensor Filter can be enabled in the menu when necessary.
OLED Display: The Platinum100 has a bright, multi-color OLED display, with your choice of White, Red, Blue, Amber, or Green display accents. The display is divided into three segments. The left side always displays your speed in mph or kph. The right side can display a compass heading, vehicle voltage, or All-Threat (showing all detected radar and signal strength). The center display shows an optional clock or is blank until an alert is detected. The Alert Display can be a 5-Bar Alert showing 5 available bars indicating signal strength across the center and right side sections. The detected Band appears to the left of the bar graph. An alternate display is the 3-Bar Alert with 3 available signal-strength bars and the detected band in the center section only.
Dim Settings: The OLED display offers six brightness options: Day (brightest), Dusk (medium), Night (dimmest), Auto (adjusts automatically), Stealth (dark with a single LED dot), and Off (no display). You can manually adjust the display brightness using the Dim/Menu button on the top panel.
Audible Alerts: The Platinum100 features both configurable Voice and Tone Alerts. The default setting is "Voice On" and a voice announces which radar band was detected, or says "Laser" if Laser is detected. When you make changes to the menu settings, a confirmation of those changes are announced. You can choose a male or female voice for audio alerts. If you choose "Voice Off", the unit will alert you with distinctive tones when radar or laser is detected. You can adjust the volume up or down manual through the top-mounted buttons. If Auto Volume is on, the unit automatically reduces the volume every 3 seconds during an alert.
RDD Guard: The K40 Platinum100 features RDD Guard to give you protection from Radar Detector Detectors (RDDs).
GPS: The Platinum100 has a built-in SiRFstar III GPS receiver that can use signals from overhead global positioning satellites to pinpoint the location of your vehicle. When available satellites are located, the unit announces "GPS Connected." GPS is also used to monitor your vehicle's speed for such features as Speed Alert, Quiet Ride, and Auto Filter. The detector lets you mark specific locations to Alert you or to Mute sources of false alerts:
- Mark to Alert: You can mark specific GPS locations such as speed traps, school zones, and red light cameras, so you'll receive an alert whenever you enter that geographical area. Each time you mark a location, you add to a growing database of important locations, which are stored in the detector's memory.
- Mark to Mute: Like Mark to Alert above, you can mark specific GPS locations where you receive non-police radar alerts. This eliminates annoying false alerts from automatic doors and security systems.
Quiet Ride: The Quiet Ride feature will silent all audible alerts until you exceed a selected minimum speed. You can set the minimum speed between 5 and 75 mph in 5 mph increments (or 10-120 kph in 10 kph increments). Typically this feature is used on long road trips, and where you only want to be alerted to radar if you exceed a set speed limit.
Speed Monitor: The Speed Monitor feature will provide audible and visual alerts whenever you exceed a pre-selected speed. You can set the Speed Monitor to any speed between 40 and 100 mph, in 5 mph increments (or 60-160 kph in 10 kph increments). Speed Monitor overrides the Quiet Ride feature.
Clock Display: The Platinum100 offers a clock in the center section of the display. The time is set by the internal GPS receiver. You can set the time zone display according to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The default setting is GMT - 5.00 (Eastern Standard). There is a setting for enabling Daylight Saving Time (DST) for those states who observe it.
Wake-up Sequence: When you power up the Platinum100, the device will start its Wake-up Sequence. There are three options for the sequence:
- Wake-up Long (default): The unit will announce and display "K40 Scan, Active" and sound alerts for X, K, Ka-Band, and Laser.
- Wake-up Short: The unit displays the same sequence as above, but only emits three beeps.
- Wake-up Silent: The unit displays the default Wake-up Sequence in silence.
Optional Remote Control: The Platinum100's optional wireless remote control lets you turn on/off many of the system's features. In addition to power, volume up/down, and mute, the remote includes buttons for Dim, Menu, Mark to Mute (MM), Mark to Alert (MA), Quiet Ride, and City/Highway modes. The remote comes with a visor clip and self-adhesive hook-and-loop fasteners so you can keep it hidden away when not in use. It is powered by a CR2032 coin cell battery (included). Dimensions: 1.433" wide, 3.069" long, 0.467" high; Weight: 0.8 ounces.
Firmware Updates: The Platinum100's firmware can be updated by connecting the unit to your computer via a Mini-USB cable (not included). The current firmware version can be displayed through a menu option.
K40's Ticket-Free Guarantee: K40 Electronics offers a Ticket-Free Guarantee for the first year of product ownership. During that first year, the company will pay in full for all radar speeding tickets incurred while the detector is operating and used properly. The guarantee is not valid for tickets written in school or construction zones, or if incurred with a DUI or DWI violation. Tickets received outside of the U.S. and Canada are not covered by the guarantee. Product registration is required for coverage.