About the K40 RLS2
Get accurate information
Get accurate information
When you're out on the road, the right detector can make all the difference between a safe cruise and a speeding ticket. K40 has engineered their RLS2 radar detector to give you the alerts you need to avoid threats, with additional useful GPS-based features to help you get the most out of the detector and your ride.
The RLS2's GPS-based features include:
- "Mark to Mute" — allows you to mute radar and laser alerts from non-police sources such as automatic doors in a specific GPS location;
- "Mark to Alert" — lets you mark and unmark any location, including specific threats such as speed traps, school zones, and red light cameras.
The detector is also equipped with a "Quiet Ride" feature which allows the user to silence alerts when traveling below a preset speed, and a speed monitor function which gives a constant audio alert and a visual alert telling the driver to "slow down" whenever a set speed is exceeded.
Audible and visual warnings
The RLS-2 offers both audible and visible warnings when a threat is detected, including voice alerts and displays that warn you about the specific radar band targeting your car. The dot-matrix display makes it easy to see your status at a glance. The audio warnings also include a “Geiger” alert that increases in intensity as you get closer to the incoming signal source.
The RLS2's K-band filter weeds out signals from non-police K-band radar sources, including vehicle safety systems that are radar-based such as adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, and lane departure warning systems — it'll even filter out K-band transmissions from your own vehicle. The traffic sensor filter offers the ability to filter out K-band signals from traffic flow sensors. The detector gives you a three-option filter control to adjust the unit's sensitivity to city or highway conditions.
This detector offers thirteen settings, all user-programmable with the remote, giving you control over every parameter; you can choose which bands are monitored, and control the quiet ride and speed monitoring functions. The mute function includes multiple options including automatic volume reduction. And the dim feature lets you give your eyes a break when driving at night.
The package includes a windshield mount, a coiled power cord with 12-volt outlet adapter, and a straight power cord that you can use to hardwire the detector in your vehicle.
Sorry, but we cannot ship radar detectors to Virginia or the District of Columbia.
- radar detector
- suction-cup windshield mount
- power cord
- straight cord for hardwired installation
- detects all North American-approved police radar bands
- GPS-based "Mark to Alert" and "Mark to Mute" allow you to mark specific threats and to filter specific locations
- three selectable modes for highway or city driving
- digital voice and audio tone alerts for radar, laser, and POP
- K-band filter rejects alerts from vehicles with radar-based safety systems
- traffic sensor filter allows filtration of K-band traffic flow sensors
- display includes signal strength meter
- dim and mute modes
- dimensions: 2-7/8"W x 1-3/8"H x 5-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RLS2
What's in the box:
- Radar/laser detector
- Coiled/straight cord (right-angled DC power plug)
- 9.5' Straight cord (right-angled DC power plug)
- 2 Spare AGU fuses
- Windshield mount
- Three 1-1/4" suction cups
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Reference Guide
- Speeding Ticket Warranty Registration card
- "Mark to Mute & Mark to Alert" card
K40 RLS2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the K40 RLS2
Features & specs
|X Band Radar||Yes|
|K Band Radar||Yes|
|KA Photo Radar||No|
|KA Wideband Radar||Yes|
|VG-2 Protection||VG-2, Spectre|
|Display & Alerts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The RLS2 from K40 Electronics is a radar/laser detector with an exclusive filter that helps prevent false alerts caused by radar-based safety features found on new vehicles. It also filters for signals from traffic flow sensors, and allows you to manually mute areas where false alerts occur from non-police sources. The detector has voice or tone alerts, and a full dot-matrix text display. Signal strength is indicated by an audible "Geiger counter"-type sound, plus a visual strength indicator. K40 Electronics offers a Ticket-Free Guarantee and a One-Year quality guarantee. The RLS2 comes with two 12-volt power adapters--one with a coiled cord and one with a straight cord--plus a windshield suction cup mount.
Radar/Laser Detection: The RLS2 detects all police radar frequencies approved in North America, as well as laser:
- X-band: 10.500-10.550 GHz
- K-band: 24.050-25.250 GHz
- Ka-band: 33.400-36.000 GHz
- Laser: 830-945 nanometers
Filter Settings: The K40 RLS2 offers three Sensitivity Modes:
- Highway: This default setting detects all types of North American approved police radar or laser signals (X, K, Ka) at full sensitivity. This is recommended for highway travel, or for areas in which you are unfamiliar with the types of radar used.
- City: The City mode reduces the sensitivity of X-band radar, while K, Ka, and Laser remain at full sensitivity. This can be used in urban areas where there are minimal non-police radar signals.
- Filter: In this mode, Laser detection remains at full sensitivity, while X-band detection is eliminated and K and Ka band are reduced. This is best for congested traffic areas where there is a high concentration of non-police radar signals.
K-Band Filter: Many new vehicles on the road today are equipped with radar-based safety features, such as collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, or lane departure warnings. These features operate on K band radar, and can sometimes cause false alerts. In addition, traffic flow sensors emit strong K-band radar signals. With K40's new K-Band Filter, unwanted alerts are rejected from these sources, allowing you to stay alert for real radar threats.
Mark to Alert: You can mark locations such as speed traps, school zones, and red light cameras, so you'll receive an alert whenever you enter that geographical area. Each time you mark a location, you add to a growing database of important locations. These locations are stored in the detector, so you won't have to continually download new locations from your home computer. No subscriptions are required.
Quiet Ride: The Quiet Ride feature will silent all audible alerts until you exceed a selected minimum speed. Typically this feature is used on long road trips, and where you only want to be alerted to radar or laser if you exceed a set speed limit.
Speed Monitor: The Speed Monitor feature will provide an audible alert whenever you exceed a pre-selected speed. You will also receive a visual alert, telling you to "Slow Down." Speed Monitor overrides the Quiet Ride feature.
Display Brightness: There are five settings for the brightness of the display. The settings include:
- Day: brightest setting
- Dusk: medium setting; factory default
- Night: dimmest setting
- Auto: display adjusts automatically from 5 seconds in "Day," 5 seconds in "Dusk, and the duration of the alert in "Night."
- Off: No display, but the unit maintains full audio alerts
Programmable Features: The RLS2 offers several programmable features for setting up the unit to your personal preferences:
- Voice Type: Male or Female
- Audible Voice: Voice On or Voice Off
- Wake Up Sequence: Wake Up Long (full length) or Wake Up Short (abbreviated start-up sequence)
- Speed Displayed: On or Off
- Compass Heading: On or Off
- Traffic Sensor Filter: On or Off
- Distance Measurements: MPH or KPH
- AutoMute: On or Off
- X-band: On or Off
- K-band: On or Off
- Ka-band: On or Off
- Laser: On or Off
- Mute Locations: Save or Clear Muted Locations
- Alert Locations: Save or Clear Alert Locations
- Factory Reset
K40's Ticket-Free Guarantee: K40 Electronics offers a Ticket-Free Guarantee for the first year of product ownership. During the first year, the company will pay in full for all radar and laser speeding tickets incurred while the detector is operating and used properly. The guarantee is not valid for tickets written in school or construction zones, or if incurred with a DUI or DWI violation.
Performance With Tinted Windshields: Some high-end vehicle manufacturers, such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, are adding special metal-based tints to their windshields to protect the interior of the vehicle. Some of these tints may reduce the performance of any radar detector mounted inside the car, as radar microwave signals cannot penetrate metal of any kind.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked