About the Memphis Audio VIV400.4
The product of over a half century of technical innovation
The product of over a half century of technical innovation
The folks at Memphis Audio are so proud of these amplifiers, they named the line after the year their company was born — 1965. Looking fine in its anodized brushed aluminum chassis, the SixFive Series VIV400.4 four-channel amp can send 65 watts RMS to each of your front and rear full-range speakers. Into bass? You can bridge this amp to 2-channel mode, and drive a couple of subs with 200 watts each. You can even change the color of the amp's illuminated logo — select one of the seven available colors to match your mood, whim, or vehicle's interior.
Active application examples
This versatile amp features onboard digital signal processing — including high-pass, low-pass, and bandpass filtering — that makes its use in actively amplified systems indispensable.
2-way system: the amp's front channels drive a pair of tweeters, with a high-pass filter set to keep damaging low notes away. The rear channels drive a pair of woofers, with a low-pass filter set so the correct bass frequencies go their way. You can tweak the crossover settings to get the sound to fit your specific tweeters and woofers best.
3-way system: the tweeters are run the same way with the front channels, while you'd use the rear channels to power the midrange drivers, using a bandpass filter to eliminate the extreme highs and lows allowing the midrange to play clearly. You'd use a separate amplifier to power the low-frequency speakers or subs in this type of system.
Connectivity and controls
A bass boost lets you add some extra pop to the bottom end. Speaker-level inputs and automatic turn-on circuitry allow you to connect this amp into almost any system, including ones using the factory radio. Preamp outputs can be used to feed a subwoofer amp its input signal in a 3-way system. A magnetic cover protects the control panel from dirt and other accidents.
ViV400.4 control panel
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 65 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- Class D amp technology
- front channels:
- variable high- or low pass filter (10-5,000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- rear channels:
- variable high-pass filter (10-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter (50-5,000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- bandpass filter engages both
- variable bass boost (0-18 dB at 45 Hz) on front and rear channels
- preamp inputs and outputs
- speaker-level inputs (require speaker wire to RCA adapters)
- hinged magnetic cover plate conceals top-mounted controls
- 7 color selectable LED logo
- 8-gauge power and ground leads and a 40-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses — when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 40-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and this amplifier is recommended
- dimensions: 10-15/16"W x 2-1/4"H x 8-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VIV400.4
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- 4 Self-tapping screws (length 2")
- 4 Flat washers
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Amplifier Instructions
- Memphis Power Certificate
Memphis Audio VIV400.4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Memphis Audio VIV400.4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
65 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||95 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||10-5000 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||10-5000 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Memphis Car Audio VIV400.4 is a Six Five series four-channel amplifier. This Class D amp features a compact anodized brushed aluminum chassis with all of the connections on one side for a clean installation. Each individual amplifier includes a Certified Output Power certificate with a Total RMS Power specification and Pass/Fail results of the Total Harmonic Distortion, Signal-to-Noise, and Protection Circuit tests.
Output Power: The VIV400.4 has the following power output:
- 65 watts RMS x 4 at 4Ω (@ 14.4V, <1% THD)
- 100 watts RMS x 4 at 2Ω (@ 14.4V)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4Ω bridged (@ 14.4V)
Controls: The amplifier features a hinged top plate where the following controls can be easily accessed:
- Gain: The rotary Gain controls help you match the amplifier to the output of the source unit. This adjusts the amount of signal required to drive the amplifier to full output. There are independent rotary controls for the front and rear channels, each variable from 0 to 10.
- Crossover Controls: Independent crossovers are provided
for the front and rear channels. The crossovers have a slope of 24dB per
- Front Channels: The Front Channel crossover can be set to High Pass, Low Pass, or Off. It is variable from 10 Hz to 500 Hz (Range Switch at 1X) or 100 Hz to 5000 Hz (Range Switch at 10X).
- Rear Channels: The Rear Channel crossover can be set to High Pass, Low Pass, Band Pass, or Off. The high pass frequency is variable from 10Hz to 500Hz using the rotary control. The low pass frequency is variable from 50Hz to 500Hz (Range at 1X) or 500Hz to 5000Hz (Range at 10X).
- Bass Boost: The Bass Boost increases the bass response of the amplifier at 45Hz. The independent front and rear rotary controls are variable from 0 dB to 18 dB.
- LED Color: This rotary control lets you select the color of the Memphis logos on the top of the amplifier. The logos are illuminated when the amplifier is powered on. There are six LED colors to choose from.
Protection Circuitry: The amplifier features built-in circuitry to protect the amplifier against short circuit, overheating, and over/under battery voltage. A Protect LED on the side of the amplifier will glow red when the amplifier shuts down due to any of the above causes.
Connections: The VIV400.4 has the following connections:
- Power/Ground/Turn-on: The amplifier features set screw terminals for connecting the power and ground wires. The
power and ground terminals will
accept bare wire up to 4 AWG. The manufacturer recommends a 4 AWG amplifier
wiring kit with an in-line 60A fuse placed on the power wire within 18" of
the battery. The REM or "Turn-on" set screw connection will accept up to 12
AWG wire, however, an 18 AWG remote lead should be sufficient.
- Auto Turn On: The Six Five series offers three different automatic turn on modes that can be selected via the 3-way switch. If using an 18 AWG remote turn-on lead, you should set the switch to "+12V". If a remote turn-on lead is not available, you can set the Auto Turn On to DC Offset or Audio Signal Sense.
- Input: The amp features two pairs of RCA jacks for connecting the amp to the source unit's preamp outputs via RCA patch cables. The amp accepts low level signals between 200mV and 5.0V, and high level signals from 400mV to 10.0V. If using a high-level input, you should set the Input Level button to Hi. You can send audio signal to all four channels with only one pair of Inputs with the FR Input button set to "4".
- Output: A third pair of RCA jacks is provided for sending the audio signal to a second amplifier. If the Auto Turn On switch is set to DC Offset or Audio, you can use the REM terminal to send a +12V turn-on signal to additional amplifiers.
- Speaker Output: Set screw terminals are also provided for connecting the speaker output wires to the amp. The terminals will accept up to 12 AWG wire.
1 question already asked