About the Memphis Audio VIV900.5
The product of over a half century of technical innovation
The product of over a half century of technical innovation
The folks at Memphis Audio are so proud of these amplifiers, they named the line after the year their company was born — 1965. Looking fine in its anodized brushed aluminum chassis, the SixFive Series VIV900.5 five-channel amp can send 50 watts RMS to each of your front and rear full-range speakers, plus up to 500 watts RMS to a subwoofer. In addition, this versatile amp features onboard digital signal processing — including high-pass, low-pass, and bandpass filtering — that makes its use in actively amplified systems indispensable. Even cooler, you can change the color of the illuminated logo — select one of the seven available colors to match your mood, whim, or vehicle's interior.
The built-in crossover filters give you plenty of versatility in setting this amp up for different system configurations.
2-way system: the VIV900.5 can drive four full-range speakers and a sub — with the front and rear channel crossovers set for high-pass at 100 Hz, for example, and the sub channel's set for low-pass at 100 Hz.
3-way system: the VIV900.5 can drive a pair of tweeters with a high-pass filter set at 1200 Hz, the rear channels drive a pair of midrange speakers with a bandpass filter set at 1200 Hz for the low-pass and 100 Hz for the high-pass. The sub channel's low-pass filter gets set to that same 100 Hz, so it won't duplicate tones the midrange speakers play.
Connectivity and controls
A bass boost lets you add some extra pop to the bottom end. Speaker-level inputs and automatic turn-on circuitry allow you to connect this amp into almost any system, including ones using the factory radio. An optional wireless remote is available so you can control the bass from your front seat. A magnetic cover protects the control panel from dirt and other accidents.
ViV900.5 control panel
- 5-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- Class D amp technology
- front channels:
- variable high- or low pass filter (10-5,000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- rear channels:
- variable high-pass filter (10-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter (50-5,000 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- bandpass filter engages both
- subwoofer channel:
- variable subsonic filter (10-80 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-18 dB at 45 Hz)
- optional wireless remote subwoofer level control available
- preamp inputs
- speaker-level inputs (require speaker wire to RCA adapters)
- hinged magnetic cover plate conceals top-mounted controls
- 7 color selectable LED logo
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 80-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses — when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 80-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and this amplifier is recommended
- dimensions: 12-7/16"W x 2-1/4"H x 8-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VIV900.5
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel amplifier
- 4 Self-tapping screws (length 2")
- 4 Flat washers
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Amplifier Instructions
- Memphis Power Certificate
Memphis Audio VIV900.5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Memphis Audio VIV900.5
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 4 |
300 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||95 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||10-5000 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||10-5000 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Memphis Car Audio VIV900.5 is a Six Five series five-channel amplifier. This Class D amp features a compact anodized brushed aluminum chassis with all of the connections on one side for a clean installation. Each individual amplifier includes a Certified Output Power certificate with a Total RMS Power specification and Pass/Fail results of the Total Harmonic Distortion, Signal-to-Noise, and Protection Circuit tests.
Output Power: The VIV900.5 has the following power output:
- 50 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4Ω (@ 14.4V, <1% THD)
- 100 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2Ω (@ 14.4V)
- 150 watts RMS x 2 @ 4Ω bridged + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2Ω (@ 14.4V)
Controls: The amplifier features a hinged top plate where the following controls can be easily accessed:
- Gain: The rotary Gain controls help you match the amplifier to the output of the source unit. This adjusts the amount of signal required to drive the amplifier to full output. There are independent rotary controls for the front, rear, and sub channels, each variable from 0 to 10.
- Crossover Controls: Independent crossovers are provided
for the front, rear, and sub channels. The crossovers have a slope of 24dB per
- Front Channels: The Front Channel crossover can be set to High Pass, Low Pass, or Off. It is variable from 10 Hz to 500 Hz (Range Switch at 1X) or 100 Hz to 5000 Hz (Range Switch at 10X).
- Rear Channels: The Rear Channel crossover can be set to High Pass, Low Pass, Band Pass, or Off. The high pass frequency is variable from 10Hz to 500Hz using the rotary control. The low pass frequency is variable from 50Hz to 500Hz (Range at 1X) or 500Hz to 5000Hz (Range at 10X).
- Subwoofer Channel: The Subwoofer Channel features a Sub-Sonic Filter, a Low Pass Filter, and a Bass Boost circuit. The Sub-Sonic Filter (10Hz - 80Hz) provides a cutoff point for lower frequencies that cannot be cleanly reproduced, and may cause damage to your speakers and waste amplifier power. The Low Pass Filter cuts off higher frequencies from reaching your subwoofer, causing distortion. The cutoff frequency is variable between 50Hz and 200 Hz. Bass Boost increases the bass response of the sub channel from 0 dB to 18 dB at 45Hz.
- LED Color: This rotary control lets you select the color of the Memphis logos on the top of the amplifier. The logos are illuminated when the amplifier is powered on. There are seven LED colors to choose from.
Optional Wireless Remote: With the optional VIVREM Wireless Bass Knob, you can control the output of the VIV900.5 remotely. The VIVREM will automatically pair with the amplifier, and offers a control range of 0 to -26dB. The remote has a rechargeable battery with an estimated battery life of 1000 hours.
Protection Circuitry: The amplifier features built-in circuitry to protect the amplifier against short circuit, overheating, and over/under battery voltage. A Protect LED on the side of the amplifier will glow red when the amplifier shuts down due to any of the above causes.
Connections: The VIV900.5 has the following connections:
- Power/Ground/Turn-on: The amplifier features set screw terminals for connecting the power and ground wires. The
power and ground terminals will
accept bare wire up to 4 AWG. The manufacturer recommends a 4 AWG amplifier
wiring kit with an in-line 100A fuse placed on the power wire within 18" of
the battery. The REM or "Turn-on" set screw connection will accept up to 12
AWG wire, however, an 18 AWG remote lead should be sufficient.
- Auto Turn On: The Six Five series offers three different automatic turn on modes that can be selected via the 3-way switch. If using an 18 AWG remote turn-on lead, you should set the switch to "+12V". If a remote turn-on lead is not available, you can set the Auto Turn On to DC Offset or Audio Signal Sense.
- Input: The amp features three pairs of RCA jacks for connecting the amp to the source unit's preamp outputs via RCA patch cables. The amp accepts low level signals between 200mV and 5.0V, and high level signals from 400mV to 10.0V. If using a high-level input, you should set the Input Level button to Hi. You can send audio signal to the front and rear channels with only one pair of Inputs with the FR Input button set to "4". The Sub Input can be taken from the Rear Channel or from a separate Sub Input.
- Speaker Output: Set screw terminals are also provided for connecting the speaker output wires to the amp. Speaker terminals for the subwoofer are located on the opposite end of the amplifier from the front and rear channels. The terminals will accept up to 12 AWG wire.
1 question already asked