About the Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation
A streaming speaker for audiophiles
A streaming speaker for audiophiles
Naim Audio has upped their wireless music game with the redesigned Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation. This compact, cube-shaped speaker offers intuitive wireless streaming with app-based control from your smartphone or tablet. And when connected to your network via an Ethernet cable, it can play even higher-resolution music files than the original Mu-so Qb. That includes downloads from HDtracks, TIDAL's high-res Masters tier, and other streaming services.
Listening notes from Crutchfield writer Eric Angevine
"We recently set up a multi-zone system featuring Naim products in our Vendor Training Room, with the Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation as our featured Zone 1 player. Over the course of a week, Crutchfield employees were encouraged to test out the speaker's performance and ease of use, and I was there for some of the listening sessions.
Several colleagues asked me 'Is it supposed to look like that?' as they examined the Qb's unique wrap-around grille. The answer is 'yes' — The Qb's attractive 3D 'wave' design is an intentional aesthetic choice, and one I rather like. First-time users were also rather enamored of the clever controls on top of the cube — the large round knob can be physically turned to raise or lower volume, and it's also a motion-sensitive touchscreen that displays more control buttons.
But enough about the Qb's looks. It also sounds dynamite. The Qb was the smallest speaker we included in our demo, but it produced a rich, robust soundstage. If I were building a Naim multi-zone system at home, I'd probably use the Uniti Star in my living room, but the Qb would be ideal for placing in a bedroom or home office."
— Eric Angevine, Crutchfield Copywriter
Redesigned speakers for optimal performance
The Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation features a pair of redesigned micro-fiber tweeters and midrange speakers. The speaker array is angled for full, spacious sound. The redesigned bass driver is reinforced by two passive radiators and optimized by DSP (digital signal processing) technology for deep, clean low-frequency output.
Each speaker is powered by its own amplifier, for minimal cross-interference and clear, accurate sound.
Compatible with Apple AirPlay 2
Built-in Apple AirPlay 2 technology lets you stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
If you subscribe to Apple Music®, you can do even more. Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV 4K to control Apple Music with voice commands. Tell Siri what selection or playlist to play — and which compatible Naim speakers or components you want it to play through.
Multi-room audio with the Naim app
Download the free Naim control app for your smartphone or tablet, and you have even more options. You can control up to five Naim components to create a multi-room audio system. Group your connected speakers so that the same song plays throughout the house, or only on certain speakers. You can have every speaker accessing a different source and playing a different song. Build playlists with the app, and browse thousands of internet radio stations.
Stream music with Chromecast built-in
The Mu-So Qb 2nd Generation also has Google Chromecast built-in. You can control it through the Google Home app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet. You can make your Naim speaker part of a wireless multi-room audio system with other Chromecast built-in speakers and components.
Play music from Spotify®, TIDAL, Pandora®, and Google Play Music. Enjoy internet radio from TuneIn and iHeartRadio. Chromecast built-in can also play music directly from the cloud, including high-resolution audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you dive deep into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. It can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- built-in Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- plays MP3, FLAC, ALAC, AAC, AIFF, OGG WMA, and WAV audio files
- plays DSD 64 and DSD 128 audio files
- high-resolution playback up to 24-bit/384kHz resolution (48kHz over wireless network)
- Bluetooth for streaming from compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- easy setup and control via the Google Home App
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- control multi-room playback with two or more Chromecast built-in wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, TunIin, and iHeartRadio
Naim control app:
- free download from Apple App store and Google Play
- control playback, volume, and EQ
- connect to compatible Naim wireless speakers and components
- remotely access music stored on your PC or NAS drive
- access streaming music services such as Spotify Connect, TIDAL, and internet radio stations
- group up to 5 linked speakers to play the same song simultaneously, or control each individually
- discover new music with Rovi search (iOS only)
- Universal Plug 'n' Play (UPnP) high-resolution streaming
- 5 custom-designed speakers:
- 2 tweeters, 2 midrange drivers, and 1 bass driver with 2 passive bass radiators
- each speaker has its own digital amplifier
- 300 watts total system power (4 x 50 watts + 1 x 100 watts)
- top-mounted illuminated touch-sensitive controls
- 3.5mm analog stereo minijack input for connecting a wide range of sources
- Toslink optical digital audio input for connecting a compatible CD player, Blu-ray player, or TV (2-channel PCM only)
- USB Type A port
- Ethernet port
- Roon ready (subscription required)
- burnished and anodized aluminum casing with fabric grille
- remote control
- 8-5/16"W x 8-5/8"H x 8-3/8"D
- weight: 12.34 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MUSOQB2
What's in the box:
- Wireless speaker system
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Manual
- Naim Brochure
Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||2.5|
|Midrange Type||Plastic Cone|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||5.75 x 3.0|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||450|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||450|
|Frequency Response||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||384 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Variety of Sources
Angled Speaker Array: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 incorporates five drivers, offset and angled perfectly to create exceptional soundstage imaging. In this five speaker arrangement there are two 1" microfiber dome tweeters, two 2.5" midrange drivers, and a 5.75" x 3" oval woofer that deliver clear high frequencies, detailed midrange, and rich bass performance. Two side-firing pistonic passive 5.8125" x 3.375" oval bass radiators work alongside the custom-made woofer for even lower bass frequency reproduction.
- Custom Built Tweeters: Microfiber soft-dome tweeters were selected for their stiffness and dampening qualities.
- Custom Made Midrange Drivers: The custom midrange drivers provide crystal clear speech and power vocals. They've been carefully positioned to evenly disperse sound.
- Mono-Woofer + Dual Bass Radiators: The Mu-so Qb 2 pairs a mono subwoofer with two side-firing bass radiators for deep, accurate bass response from a compact speaker system.
DSP Controlled Amplification: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 can generate an incredible 300 watts of room-filling sound. Each tweeter and midrange driver is driven by a 50W Class D amplifier, while the bass woofer is powered by 100W Class D amplifier. The Mu-so Qb 2 also utilizes an advanced multicore digital signal processor (DSP) that provides over 13x the performance of the previous single core processor for superior sound accuracy. In addition, the Mu-so Qb 2 incorporates Room Compensation and Loudness control to get the best performance out of the speaker system in any room at any volume level.
- Room Compensation: Room Compensation enables adjustment of the Mu-so Qb 2's tonal balance to compensate for the proximity of walls and other large surfaces. If speaker system is placed on a shelf, for example, tonal adjustment can be useful in reducing the bass boost that naturally results from such a location.
- Loudness: Loudness applies a bass boost that decreases as volume is increased. By compensating for the ear's reduced bass sensitivity at low volume levels, loudness compensation can make low volume listening more satisfying
Premium Aluminum Enclosure: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 features a premium aluminum casing in a new burnished grey finish. Both the cabinet bracing and baffle moulding have been redesigned for improved rigidity, which suppresses and controls vibrations. The distinctive heat-sink fins are more compact, while still being ultra-effective, and continuing to feature Naim patented technology that discreetly incorporates the WiFi antenna.
Multiroom Ready: The Mu-so Qb 2 works brilliantly on its own or as part of a multiroom music setup. There are three easy ways to create a multiroom audio system in your home.
- Naim App: Combine it with other networked Naim products (including 1st and 2nd Generation Mu-so and Mu-so Qb) via the Naim app (for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android OS 5.0+). Up to five Naim streaming products can be synced together.
- AirPlay 2: Pair it with other AirPlay 2-compatible wireless speakers via the Apple Home app on your Apple iOS device.
- Chromecast: Pair it with other Chromecast speakers and devices via groups controlled by the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device.
Mounting Options: The Mu-so Qb 2 wireless speaker is designed to be located either on a table, a furniture unit, or a wall shelf. If a shelf is to be used, be sure that it is able to support the full weight (12.34 lbs) if the speaker system. The Mu-so Qb 2 does not provide a bracket, key-hole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker system.
Variety of Sources
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 is outfitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet jack (10/100Mbps) and features built-in 2.4/5GHz Dual-Band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wired or wireless connection to your home's network. Either connection allows you to connect to your home's network router and internet provider for access to select online music services, UPnP music servers, Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2, and Roon. The Naim app (for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android OS 5.0+) is used to setup and connect the Mu-so Qb 2 on your home's network.
Built-In Online Music Services: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 offers the following built-in online music services - Spotify Connect, Tidal, and vTuner (Internet Radio) - that can be accessed through the Naim app (for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android OS 5.0+).
- Spotify Connect: Mu-So offers Spotify Connect support, so you can stream millions of songs from your portable device with ease. You will need to subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, so you can stream Spotify to the Mu-So system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. Spotify Connect can be selected from the Naim App, but will also select and play automatically when the Mu-so Qb 2 receives a Spotify Connect stream initiated from the Spotify app on your Apple iOS/Android device or Windows/Mac computer.
- Tidal: The Tidal lossless streaming service is integrated into the system for an immersive, high-quality sound experience. Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality. To play a Tidal stream, select the Tidal input on the Naim App, sign-in to your Tidal account and select music to play.
- Internet Radio (vTuner): You have the ability to access thousands of internet radio stations through vTuner and save your favorite presets (up to 40) for easy access. The first 5 presets can be accessed through the Mu-So's touch-panel control, while the other 35 presets are access through the Naim app on your compatible mobile device. Supported Internet Radio formatted content includes MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis and MMS.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Naim speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Mu-so Qb 2. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Naim Mu-so Qb 2.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Naim Mu-so Qb 2 speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Naim speaker system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Mu-so Qb 2 speaker. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Mu-so Qb 2 and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play): The Mu-so Qb 2 is UPnP compatible, which enables you to play your digital music library stored on UPnP servers (such as the Naim UnitiServer, network servers with integrated UPnP software, or on Windows and OS X computers) through the Mu-so Qb 2 speaker system. You can stream a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files. UPnP file browsing can be carried out using the Naim App (for Apple iOS and Android). Once playback has been initiated by a play command on the Naim App, the Mu-so Qb 2 touch-panel's play/pause mad previous/next track controls can also be used to operate playback. Supported music file formats include -
- WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC (Apple Lossless): up to 24-bit/384kHz
- DSD: 64Fs (2.8 MHz), 128Fs (5.6MHz)
- MP3, AAC, WMA, OGG: up to 48kHz, 320kbps (16-bit)
Note: Windows Media Player version 11 or above incorporates built in UPnP support. A variety of third party UPnP applications are available that are compatible with both Windows and OS X operating systems.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Naim Mu-so Qb 2 speaker system and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Mu-So and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Mu-so Qb 2 or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Naim Mu-so Qb 2 speaker system. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or Naim Uniti player (sold separately), located on the network within your home.
Digital & Analog Inputs: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 is outfitted with digital & analog inputs - including Optical digital, USB-A, and 3.5mm Aux.
- Optical Digital: The optical (toslink) digital input provides connection to a Blu-ray player, CD player, or TV. The digital input will support up to 2Ch/96kHz audio (does not support Dolby Digital/DTS).
- USB 2.0 Port: The USB 2.0 port (type-A) can be used to connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive and HDDs (formatted in NTFS, HFS, and FAT32); USB HDDs will require external AC power. The Mu-so Qb 2 supports playback of a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files stored on a USB msc device (up to 100,000 files total). Supported music file formats include - WAV/FLAC/AIFF (up to 24-bit/384kHz), DSD (64Fs/2.8MHz or 128Fs/5.6MHz), and MP3/AAC/WMA/OGG (up to 48kHz/320kbps). *The USB-A port does not support connection of Apple iOS and Android devices, USB hubs and card-readers, or laptops and computers for audio playback.
- 3.5mm Aux Input: The analog 3.5mm Aux input provides connection to almost any audio device with a analog output or headphone jack.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP. You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the Mu-so Qb 2. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Mu-So2 offers support of AAC for high quality playback from Apple iOS devices. You can pair multiple Bluetooth devices, but only one can be connected for playback at a time. Basic playback control (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) can be done from the Mu-so Qb 2' touch-panel. You will still use your Bluetooth source device for advanced music browsing and to view song/artist info.
- You can use the Bluetooth audio streaming function without the use of the Naim application.
- The Mu-so Qb 2 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Naim Mu-so Qb 2.
Naim Multiroom: Combine the Mu-so Qb 2 with other Mu-so wireless music systems or Naim audio streaming products for the ultimate multiroom experience. You can play music between any combination of Mu-so and Mu-so Qb speakers in up to five rooms of your home. Choose the same song in perfect sync or play different music in different rooms, all via the (for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
- Compatible Multiroom Sources: Analog & digital inputs (including Optical, USB, and Aux); UPnP, built-in music services (such as Spotify, Tidal, and vTuner); and Bluetooth are all compatible with Naim Multiroom.
- Incompatible Multiroom Sources: AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, and Roon are not compatible with Naim Multiroom. However, these platforms offer their own independent multiroom network of speakers.
Note: The Mu-so Qb 2's local analog & digital inputs (including Optical, USB, and Aux); plus AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, and Bluetooth are not available for multiroom broadcast.
Touch Sensitive Control Dial: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2's top-panel interface has 15 touch-sensitive buttons and a bold, illuminated volume dial with a proximity sensor that wakes the display. This intuitive touch-sensitive interface provides Power On, Input Selection (Digital/Analog/USB), Favorites/Presets Access, Bluetooth Pairing, Multiroom Grouping, Playback Control (Play/Pause/Skip), and Volume Up/Down.
Note: AirPlay 2, Bluetooth, UPnP, Chromecast, Roon, Spotify Connect, and Tidal streams cannot be selected from the touch-panel, but are selected automatically when the Mu-so Qb 2 is receiving an audio signal from one of these music sources. However, touch-panel icons will indicate the selection of these sources.
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the Naim Mu-so Qb 2 speaker system. Control functions include Power, Input, Volume, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Favorites/Presets, Mute, and Multiroom.
Naim App: The Naim Audio app (for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android OS 5.0+) provides simple yet comprehensive control over both your music and the network-connected Naim Mu-so Qb 2 wireless speaker and other network-enabled Naim wireless speakers (sold separately). The Naim App provides comprehensive access to Mu-So setup parameters, volume adjustment, playback functions, album art, playlists, presets and more. Complete list of the Naim app control functions -
- Simple & intuitive system setup
- Input and music selection
- Volume & Loudness settings
- Full album & cover art support
- Build & edit playlists
- Browse your UPnP music library with album art support and playback control
- Browse, search, and select Internet Radio stations; plus save & select presets (up to 40)
- USB music library browsing and playback control
- Multiroom audio support with "Party Mode", grouping, and volume control
- Alarm Clock programming
- Firmware Updates
- Only one Naim App from one mobile device can be connected to a single Mu-so Qb 2 speaker at any time.
- If a streaming source such as AirPlay 2or Spotify is selected automatically on the Mu-so Qb 2by the presence of a stream, the Naim App display will switch to the appropriate streaming source page and offer the controls available to that stream type.
Gapless Playback: The Naim Mu-so Qb 2 offers support for Gapless playback for all compatible music formats (including WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD, MP3, WMA, AAC, and OGG) via USB or UPnP. Gapless playback lets the tracks flow seamlessly, one to the next, without any silence between. Perfect for classical music & live recordings.
AC Power w/ Auto Standby: The Mu-so Qb 2 wireless speaker system operates off of standard household current using its integrated power supply and detachable AC power cord. If there is no audio signal or operation for 20 minutes, the Mu-So automatically enters standby mode.
Note: The Mu-so Qb 2is not battery powered.
The Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation replaces these items
- connection options include Bluetooth aptX®, Apple AirPlay, Spotify® Connect, minijack, and optical digital
- 2 micro-fiber tweeters, 2 custom midrange drivers, 1 custom bass driver, and 300 watts total amplification
- can be part of a Naim multi-room wireless audio system
2 questions already asked