About the Naim Uniti Star
An all-in-one component
An all-in-one component
The Naim Uniti Star can serve as the centerpiece of a stereo sound system all by itself. It offers 70 watts per channel to drive a pair of speakers, and it has a convenient array of digital and analog inputs if you want to connect other components or a compatible TV. This super-versatile component also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in for music streaming. And if that's not enough, it's also a CD player with a "ripping" function that lets you make bit-perfect digital file copies of your favorite discs.
The Uniti Star lets you stream music from compatible services like Spotify® Connect, TIDAL and vTuner internet radio (subscriptions may be required). It's compatible with high-resolution music files like WAV, FLAC, DSD, AAC and more. Apple® AirPlay® 2 gives you easy wireless access to music from an iPhone®, iPod® or iPad®. Chromecast built-in opens up even more listening possibilities from compatible apps on your mobile devices. And you can take control wirelessly, with the Naim app for Apple® and Android™.
My hands-on experience with the Naim Uniti Star
We set up a multi-zone listening demo at Crutchfield HQ, with the Naim Mu-so Qb, Naim Mu-so 2, Naim Uniti Atom and Naim Uniti Star components — with each functioning as a separate zone. I used the Uniti Star as the primary component, and added the others one-by-one in the Naim app's party mode. I found the app very intuitive to use, and loved that I had options: I could change volume, mute, and unmute each zone individually, or use a "group volume" slider to control all of them at once. I used my phone as a remote, but all of the functions can be accessed via the included handheld remote control, or the delightful touchscreen/volume dial located on top.
The Uniti Star was driving a pair of Focal Aria 936 floor-standing speakers, and the amp's 70 watts handled them well. A group of Crutchfield Advisors put the system through its paces, jumping from EDM to classic rock to bombastic hip-hop. The system handled each genre well, delivering enough power for presence and authority on a bass-heavy album, or delicate nuance on a more subtle track.
The Uniti Star can play (and rip!) CDs, but I found it most useful as a streaming device. A myriad of popular streaming services can be accessed directly through the Naim app, and built-in Bluetooth allows you to stream anything your device can access. And, to be honest, the impact of Naim's gorgeous external design cannot be overstated. The Uniti Star's elegant chassis features a full-color display screen that shows cover art and track information, which I really loved.
For ease of use, excellent sound, and good looks to match, the Naim Uniti Star is one-of-a-kind in my book.
Digital and analog connections
The Uniti Star can be the only component in your cabinet, but it doesn't have to be. There's an HDMI ARC port so you can improve the sound coming from your TV, for instance. The back panel also offers two optical digital and two coaxial digital inputs (as well as an ultra-rare digital BNC connector). Analog sources can be connected via a stereo RCA input or a five-pin DIN input (again, very rare in the home audio world).
There are connection options for using external storage devices, too. There are two USB Type A ports — one on the front and one on the back — for playing music files stored on thumb drives. The rear USB input also accepts hard drives for ripping your CDs. And there's a slot that can accommodate an SD memory card (not included), either for playback or music storage.
- 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms
- plays CDs and CD-Rs
- CD ripping function lets you create digital file copies of your discs
- rip music to optional SD cards or USB hard drives
- plays digital music from computers, music servers, and online services through your connected speakers
- remote control included
- detachable power cord
- built-in Wi-Fi for streaming music from networked hard drives and online services
- stream from compatible services like Spotify® Connect, TIDAL and vTuner internet radio (subscriptions may be required)
- gapless playback of high-resolution FLAC, WAV, ALAC, MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA and DSD sound files
- 32-bit/384kHz maximum resolution for PCM-based files; DSD up to 5.6 MHz
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPod® or iPad®
- Bluetooth with aptX HD for playing audio from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- remote control via the Naim app for Apple® and Android™ devices
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- HDMI ARC input for connecting to a compatible TV
- 2 optical digital (Toslink) inputs (up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution for connected sources)
- 2 coaxial digital inputs (up to up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- digital BNC input for high-resolution digital audio signals
- stereo RCA input
- 5-pin analog audio DIN connector
- 2 USB Type A inputs for playing audio from a USB memory device (one on front panel, one on back panel)
- back-panel USB port accepts optional USB hard drive for CD ripping
- slot for SD memory card (not included) used for playing audio files or CD ripping
- Ethernet port for making a wired connection to your network
- stereo RCA preamp/subwoofer output
- 3.5mm front-panel headphone output
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/16"W x 3-3/4"H x 10-7/16"D
- weight: 26.45 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NAIMUNISTAR
What's in the box:
- Integrated amp/CD player
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Speaker plugs
- Cleaning cloth
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Manual
- Warranty/Registration Card
- Naim brochure
- Spotify brochure
Naim Uniti Star reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Naim Uniti Star
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||70|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||8 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Class AB Amplifier with DSP: The Naim Uniti Star utilizes a powerful 70 watt x 2 channel class AB amplifier with technology taken from Naim's iconic integrated amplifiers. From the substantial transformer, which ensures that the power supply is always smooth and stable, to the sophisticated, hand-wired analogue and digital circuitry, every element of the design in Uniti Star has been considered for its effect on sound quality. The Uniti Star features a incredibly powerful and extremely accurate fourth generation 40-bit SHARC DSP that performs a staggering 2.7 billion calculations per second, giving it enough power to resolve the most complex music signals with ease.
- Isolated Analog & Digital Circuitry: Extreme care has been taken to protect sensitive components in the audio signal path from digital circuitry-isolated circuit boards for both analog and digital signals, optical isolators to transfer information between the two sides of the products, and careful testing and analysis by Naim audio experts to catch any stray interference.
- Precision Volume Control: A premium rotary volume control adjusts the volume level in the analog domain to a digital resolution. It features ultra-smooth rotation and backlit illumination. The lit volume segments are reflected in the same fashion on Uniti Star's intuitive remote control and will adjust accordingly on the top surface ring if the volume is changed remotely.
Burr Brown DAC: A premium Burr Brown DAC, as well as the finest-quality SMD circuitry is used to deliver exceptional audiophile level sound quality. premium Burr Brown DAC to deliver exceptional audiophile level sound quality. In addition, unique Naim software minimizes jitter (timing errors inherent in digital music streaming) and up-samples incoming data to ensure optimum sound quality.
CD Playback & Ripping: The Naim Uniti Star's built-in CD player supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs (12cm only). The unit only supports playback of CD-Audio files on a CD-Audio, CD-R, or CD-RW disc. You can also create bit-perfect copies of your CDs and save the digital music data as WAV or FLAC files to a HDD (connected to the Uniti Star's rear-panel USB port) or SD memory card (inserted in the Uniti Star's rear-panel SD card slot). A typical CD-Audio disc can take 5 minutes or longer to rip.
- The Uniti Star does not support playback of compressed music files (such as MP3, WMA, AAC, etc.) on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
- Only the Uniti Star's rear-panel USB port (not front-panel USB port) and rear-panel SD Card slot supports CD ripping.
- The Uniti Star is not a CD recorder; you cannot record music onto disc. It can only rip from a CD to a USB MSC device or SD memory card
USB & SD Card Playback: The Uniti Star features a front-panel and rear-panel USB-A port that can be used to connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or USB hard disc drive. It also features a rear-panel SD card slot for compatibility with SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. The Uniti Star supports playback of a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files stored on a USB msc device or SD memory card. The system can handle NTFS, HFS, and FAT32 formatted USB drives and SD memory cards. It can recognize up to 20,000 music files. Supported music file formats include -
- DSD: 64, 128
- WAV: up to 32-bit/384kHz
- FLAC, AIFF: up to 24-bit/384kHz
- ALAC (Apple Lossless): up to 24-bit/96kHz
- MP3, AAC: up to 48kHz/320kbps (16-bit)
- OGG, WMA: up to 48kHz (16-bit)
Note: The USB ports do not support connection and playback of Apple iOS and Android devices or computers and laptops.
HDMI ARC: The Uniti Star is equipped with a rear-panel HDMIA ARC port for connecting your TV, so you can enjoy your TV show and movie soundtracks through this high-performance, audiophile-grade integrated amplifier. The HDMI ARC supports up to 24-bit/192kHz (2ch only) - Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats not supported. The HDMI ARC does not support video.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Uniti Star is outfitted with an analog stereo RCA input and an analog 5-pin DIN input for connection of almost any audio device with a analog output. The Uniti Star also features two optical (toslink) digital inputs, two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs, and a BNC digital input for connection to a Blu-ray player, CD player, or TV. The optical digital inputs will support up to 24-bit/96kHz (2ch only), while the coaxial digital inputs and BNC digital input support up to 24-bit/192kHz (2ch only) - Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats not supported.
Note: The Uniti Star does not offer a Phono input, so if you want to connect a turntable you'll need an external phono preamp (sold separately) or turntable with a built-in preamp.
Analog Outputs: The Naim Uniti Star is outfitted with a pair of speaker outputs, a set of stereo RCA outputs, and a front-panel headphone output.
- Speaker Outputs: The Uniti Star is equipped with left (+/-) and right (+/-) 4mm speaker terminals and comes with two detachable speaker plugs that allow connection of bare speaker wire only (not compatible with single or dual banana plugs). Connect 8-ohm speakers only.
- Preamp Outputs: The Uniti Star's preamp outputs allow you to connect an external power amplifier for even higher sound quality or a powered subwoofer for deeper bass extension.
- Headphone Output: The Uniti Star features a front panel 3.5mm headphone jack to connect a set of headphones for private listening. The speaker and preamp outputs are deactivated when a set of headphones are connected.
Multiroom Ready: Combine the Uniti Star with other Uniti wireless music systems or Mu-So wireless speakers for the ultimate multiroom experience. Play music between any combination of compatible Uniti, Mu-So and Naim devices in up to six rooms of your home. Choose the same song in perfect sync or play different music in different rooms, all via the Naim app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: The Uniti Star's local analog & digital inputs, plus its Airplay & Bluetooth streaming inputs are not available for multiroom broadcast.
Optional FM Tuner: Optional DAB/FM module will be available later (release date to be confirmed).
Power Requirements: The Naim Uniti Star wireless integrated amplifier operates off of standard household current using its integrated power supply and detachable AC power cord.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Naim Uniti Star is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet jack (10/100Mbps) and features built-in dual-band (2.4/5.0GHz) WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac) for a wired or wireless connection to your home's network. Either connection allows you to connect to your home's network router and internet provider for access to select online music services, internet radio, UPnP music servers, AirPlay, and Chromecast built-in. It also offers internal buffering for fewer drop outs.
UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play): The Uniti Star is UPnP compatible, which enables you to play your digital music library stored on UPnP servers (such as the Naim UnitiServe, network servers with integrated UPnP software, or on Windows and OS X computers) through the Uniti Star and connected speakers. You can stream a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files (up to 32-bit/38kHz resolution). UPnP file browsing can be carried out using the Naim App. Once playback has been initiated by a play command on the Naim App, the Uniti Star touch panel, play/ pause, next and previous controls can also be used to control playback. Supported music file formats include -
- DSD: 64, 128
- WAV: up to 32-bit/384kHz
- FLAC, AIFF: up to 24-bit/384kHz
- ALAC (Apple Lossless): up to 24-bit/96kHz
- MP3, AAC: up to 48kHz/320kbps (16-bit)
- OGG, WMA: up to 48kHz (16-bit)
- All music file formats are only supported up to 48kHz maximum over a wireless WiFi network connection.
- Windows Media Player version 11 or above incorporates built in UPnP support. A variety of third party UPnP applications are available that are compatible with both Windows and OS X operating systems.
Online Music Services: The Naim Uniti Star offers support for select online music services - like Spotify Connect, Tidal, Qobuz (via firmware update) and iRadio (Internet Radio).
- Spotify Connect: Uniti Star offers Spotify Connect support, so you can stream millions of songs from your portable device with ease. You will need to subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, so you can stream Spotify to the Uniti Star system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. Spotify Connect can be selected from the Naim App, but will also select and play automatically when the Uniti Star receives a Spotify Connect stream initiated from the Spotify app on your Apple iOS/Android device or Windows/Mac computer.
- Tidal: The Tidal lossless streaming service is integrated into the system for an immersive, high-quality sound experience. Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality. To play a Tidal stream, select the Tidal input on the Naim App, sign-in to your Tidal account and select music to play.
- Qobuz (available firmware update): Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Internet Radio (iRadio): iRadio lets you tune in to thousands of available internet radio stations and podcasts or curate your favorites for quick access later.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Naim Uniti Star. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Naim Uniti Star system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Uniti Star. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Uniti Star and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Naim Uniti Start system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Uniti Star. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Naim Uniti Star.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play on the Uniti Star and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage devices. It can also watch your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the available Uniti Star and Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Uniti Star or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Uniti Star. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or component (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Naim Uniti Star features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP) from a Bluetooth-enabled source device. You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the Uniti Star. You can pair up to eight Bluetooth devices, but only one can be connected at a time. Basic playback control (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) can be done from the included remote. You will still use your Bluetooth device for advanced music browsing and to view song/artist info.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Uniti Star offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the unit offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- aptX HD Compatible: The Uniti Star also supports aptX HD for lossless, high resolution (24-bit/48kHz) wireless music streaming from aptX HD compatible smartphones, tablets, computers, and laptops. It is also backward compatible with CD quality (16-bit/48kHz) aptX found on many Android devices.
- Bluetooth cannot be selected from the Naim App, but is selected automatically when the Uniti Star receives a Bluetooth audio stream.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Naim Uniti Star.
- The Naim Uniti Star does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication.
5" LCD Glass Display w/ Front-Panel Buttons: A full-color 5" LCD glass display provides song/artist information as well as album artwork. The LCD glass display has proximity sensors and will therefore wake up as someone approaches the system to display music metadata, audio input information and more. There is also a selection of front-panel buttons including Favorites, Stop, and Play.
Remote Control: The Naim Uniti Star comes with an RF remote control for wireless operation of the network amplifier which pairs automatically out of the box. The remote offers white backlit buttons and provides playback control over USB, SD & Bluetooth audio sources, Internet Radio, and select Online music services.
Naim App: The Naim Audio app (for Apple iOS 9.3+ and Android 4.0+) provides simple yet comprehensive control over both your music and the network-connected Naim Uniti Star and other network-enabled Naim Uniti Mu-so products (sold separately). You can access all of your music, including your favorite radio stations, streaming services and playlists, or explore artist discographies and biographies. Complete list of the Naim app control functions -
- Simple & intuitive system setup
- Input and music selection
- Volume & audio settings
- Full album & cover art support
- Build & edit playlists
- Browse your UPnP music library with album art support and playback control
- Browse, search, and select Internet Radio stations; plus save & select presets (up to 40)
- USB music library browsing and playback control
- Multiroom audio support with "Party Mode", grouping, and volume control
- Alarm Clock programming
- Firmware Updates
- Only one Naim App from one mobile device can be connected to a single Uniti device at any time.
- If a streaming source (such as AirPlay 2 or Spotify Connect) is selected automatically on the Uniti Star by the presence of a stream, the Naim App display will switch to the appropriate streaming source page and offer the controls available to that stream type.
Gapless Playback: The Naim Uniti Star offers support for Gapless playback of DSD, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, MP3, AAC, WMA, & OGG music files via USB or UPnP. Gapless playback lets the tracks flow seamlessly, one to the next, without any silence between. Perfect for classical music & live recordings.
Firmware Updates: Firmware & software updates can be performed over a network connection through the Naim app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Auto Standby: If there is no audio signal or operation for 20 minutes, the Uniti Star automatically enters standby mode.