About the McIntosh MA5200
A more compact McIntosh
A more compact McIntosh
With its iconic black glass front panel, glowing blue power meters, and illuminated green logo, the MA5200 integrated amplifier is every bit a bona fide McIntosh audio component built right here in the USA. But McIntosh made this amp just a wee bit more compact for those with smaller listening rooms. So if space is tight, this might just be the one. And when it comes to sound — no worries. The MA5200 still delivers the kind of huge sonic signature and musical realism that has made McIntosh amps world-renowned for decades.
Enjoy all your music at its best, from high-res digital files to vinyl
The MA5200 features multiple analog and digital inputs, 100 watts per channel, and a compact design.
With a total of 9 audio inputs, including three digital connections, the MA5200 offers plenty of connectivity for a complete audio system. For your analog audio gear, you'll find four unbalanced RCA inputs, plus a balanced XLR input for professional or high-end source components. The high-quality built-in phono preamp provides a connection for a turntable with a moving-magnet phono cartridge.
Your digital sources are covered, too, with inputs that give you access to the MA5200's high-performance digital-to-analog converter (DAC). It's a great way to seriously upgrade the sound from your disc player, music streamer, or TV. The USB input handles digital music files up to 24-bit/192kHz for enjoying high-resolution audio from your computer.
Plenty of power for modestly sized rooms
With a potent 100 watts per channel under the hood, the MA5200's low-distortion amplifier section serves up more than enough power to drive a pair of high-quality speakers nicely. The amp's large power transformer uses multiple filter capacitors for plenty of energy reserves to help deliver lightning-fast transient response and explosive dynamics. A regulated power supply ensures stable, noise-free operation, even during external power-line voltage swings. And just in case you get a little too carried away with the music, McIntosh' patented Power Guard circuit prevents amplifier clipping to protect your speakers. Built-in thermal protection and Sentry Monitor output protection circuits help prevent overheating to ensure high reliability and a long operating life.
A Home Theater Pass Through feature lets you make the MA5200 part of a multichannel surround sound system. The right and left front channels from an A/V processor or surround decoder can pass through the amplifier's analog inputs, allowing you to utilize its 100 watt per channel power output on your main front speakers.
A world-famous audio heritage, made in America
Since its founding in 1949, McIntosh has defined the meaning of high-quality sound reproduction, while setting industry standards for superior performance and reliability. The company is based in Binghamton, New York, where its high-end components and speakers are still individually handcrafted by a team of skilled experts. This uncompromising dedication to quality has made McIntosh one of the most recognized and respected audio manufacturers in the world.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms
- total harmonic distortion: 0.005% (at 20Hz to 20,000Hz)
- frequency response: 10 -100,000 Hz (+0, -3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 95dB (line level), 82dB (phono), 110dB (power amp)
- damping factor: greater than 200
- built-in McIntosh Digital Engine up-sampling DAC for digital audio sources
- built-in headphone amplifier
- large power transformer with multiple filter capacitors and regulated power supply ensures stable noise free operation
- patented McIntosh Power Guard circuit prevents amplifier clipping to protect speakers
- Sentry Monitor and Thermal Protection circuits provide long amplifier operating life and protection against overheating
- Home Theater Pass Through allows amplifier to become part of a multichannel sound system
- fiber optic illuminated glass front panel for a beautiful appearance and long-term durability
- illuminated power meters (with illumination on/off settings)
- adjustable front-panel display brightness settings
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer
- supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 32-bit/192kHz
- dedicated McIntosh USB audio driver required for playback on a Windows® PC (free USB driver download available from McIntosh Laboratory's website)
- 1 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio input
- supported bit depth and sample rates: up to 32-bit/96kHz
- 1 set of balanced stereo XLR inputs
- 4 stereo RCA audio inputs
- phono input for moving magnet (MM) cartridge, also compatible with high-output moving coil (MC) cartridges
- IR input for connecting an IR receiver
- 1 pair custom McIntosh gold-plated binding-post speaker connectors
- full-size headphone output (20-600 ohms recommended impedance)
- RCA preamp out/power amp input jacks
Other Info and Specs:
- asynchronous USB technology for reduced timing jitter and better sound
- does not offer bass, treble, or tone controls
- Power Control output provides convenient turn-on/off of McIntosh source components
- four Data Ports provide remote control of amplifier-connected McIntosh source components
- RS232-C connector for connection to a computer or other control device
- 17-1/2"W x 6"H x 22"D
- weight: 38 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. The built-in DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MA5200
What's in the box:
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- Owner's Manual
McIntosh MA5200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the McIntosh MA5200
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||100|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||Not given|
|Minimum Impedance||8 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||6|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Removable Power Cord||---|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Integrated Stereo Amplifier: The McIntosh MA5200 integrated amp consists of a 100 watts per channel stereo power amplifier with less than 0.005% distortion. The McIntosh MA5200 is designed for connection of a single 8Ω loudspeaker per channel. Its flexible preamplifier section provides connection for various analog & digital input sources, and may also be use drive an external power amplifier. The MA5200's audio reproduction is sonically transparent and absolutely accurate.
Note: The MA5200, together with an additional separate power amplifier (sold separately), may be used to bi-amplify a loudspeaker system.
Exclusive McIntosh Power Assurance System: The McIntosh MA5200 employs a collection of technologies that enhance performance and reliability while protecting the integrated amplifier and loudspeakers.
- Power Guard Circuit: Power Guard is waveform comparison circuit continuously monitors both input and output signals. Power Guard dynamically adjusts the input level to avoid clipping while preventing harsh sounding distortion. The integrated amp's front-panel LED indicator will flash when Power Guard is activated.
- Sentry Monitor Technology: McIntosh Sentry Monitor power output stage protection circuits ensure the MAC6700 will have a long and trouble-free operating life. Sentry Monitor is a fuse-less short-circuit protection circuit that disengages the output stage before current exceeds safe operating level; resets automatically.
- ThermalTrak & Thermal Protection: The stereo receiver uses ThermalTrak output transistors for lower distortion and cool operation. Built-in thermal protection circuits guard against overheating. If the stereo receiver overheats due to improper ventilation and/or high ambient operating temperature, AC Power is removed from the MA5200. Normal operation will resume when the operating temperature is in a safe range again.
32-Bit/192kHz DAC: The McIntosh MA5200's digital engine will decode your digital music at up to 32-bits and 192kHz, delivering McIntosh analog sound quality.
Classic McIntosh Design & Specially Designed Power Supply: The MA5200 integrated amplifier incorporates classic McIntosh design cues, including a black glass front-panel, rotary knobs, illuminated logo, and brushed aluminum end-caps. The large power transformer, multiple filter capacitors with 60 Joules of energy storage and regulated power supply ensure stable noise free operation.
Electromagnetic Input Switching w/ Naming: Electromagnetic input switching is used in McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver to switch the variety of source components connected. Rather than the commonly-used mechanical switches that will deteriorate with wear, electromagnetic switches are high tech switching nodes that allow very long, trouble-free operation. The default Input Names can be changed to match the name of the component connected to it or any other custom name desired (up to 10 characters).
Analog Inputs: The McIntosh MA5200 integrated amp off balanced, unbalanced, & phono analog inputs.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The MA5200 integrated amp is equipped with one balanced stereo XLR input and four unbalanced stereo RCA inputs. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- MM Phono Input: The MA5200 integrated amplifier is fitted with a Phono MM (Moving Magnet) input for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet (MM) phono cartridge.
Digital Inputs: The McIntosh MA5200 integrated amp offers a USB-B, Optical, & Coaxial digital audio inputs.
- Asynchronous USB-B Input: The integrated amp features a
asynchronous USB-B input for playing back music files from your computer.
Asynchronous technology allows the digital clock inside the MA5200's DAC to
control the flow of data coming from your computer. This method of communication
leads to less jitter (timing errors) for the MA5200 to deal with which results in
clearer more defined sound. The MA5200 can decode and play back high res 2ch
stereo PCM audio signal up to 32-bit/192kHz from your Windows PC or Mac computer. Your Windows PC or Mac computer must meet the following
system requirements -
- Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10; a Windows PC will require the installation of McIntosh's USB Audio Window Driver (available on the McIntosh website)
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later; a Mac computer does not require the installation of an additional USB audio driver
- Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The McIntosh MA5200 has one optical (toslink) digital input and one coaxial (RCA) digital input. These digital inputs will decode 2ch stereo PCM signals up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: McIntosh Patented gold-plated, binding-post speaker terminals deliver high current output. They accept large diameter wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (single only), and spade lugs.
Pre-Out & Pass Through: When the MA5200 integrated amp is part of a home theater or multichannel audio system, the Right and Left Front channels from an AV processor or surround decoder can pass through the MA5200's "Power Amp Input" and onto its associated power amplifier. The MA5200's "Preamp Outputs" allow you to use a separate power amplifier, instead of the MA5200's built-in amplifier.
High Drive Headphone Amp: The MA5200 incorporates a built-in High Drive headphone amp with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack. The built-in High Drive headphone amplifier features increased gain and output power, and is optimized and designed to power virtually all types of headphones (20-600Ω) for an enjoyable personal listening experience. Speaker outputs may or may not be muted during headphone playback; your choice.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: On the front-panel of the McIntosh MA5200 are Input & Volume rotary knobs, as well as a Standby/On button. The MA5200 also includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the integrated amp. In addition, the remote operates other McIntosh audio source components. The IR remote offers the following button functions - Power On/Off, Input Selection, Volume Up/Down, Setup/Menu, Numeric Keypad, and Playback Control.
- Precision Volume Control: Volume levels are controlled by a precision balanced digitally controlled attenuator system with an optical encoder rotary control. This assures a 0.1dB tracking accuracy between channels. There are 225 individual 0.5dB volume level steps with no noise as the volume level is changed.
- Balance Left/Right: You are also able to balance the output level of the integrated amp's left & right output channels.
- Stereo/Mono Mode: By default the Stereo mode is active for all input sources. However, any input source may be assigned to Mono mode. Mono mode combines the Left and Right channel input signals for Monophonic Sound.
- Source Level: Each audio source input can be matched in level, preventing abrupt changes in volume levels.
Fluorescent Display + Illuminated Power Meters: The integrated amplifier's front-panel display indicates source selection, volume levels, and setup functions. The Illuminated power output watt meters on the MA5200 are peak responding, and indicate the power output of the integrated amplifier.
Custom Integration: The McIntosh MA5200 offers advanced connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration using premium control systems.
- Power Control Connectors: The MA5200 has the ability to automatically switch power on or off to source components via the Power Control connections. The MA5200's "Main a& "PASSTHRU" Output Jacks (3.5mm) send power on/off signals (+12 volt/0volt) when connected to other McIntosh source components.
- Data Ports: The MA5200's four Data Out Ports (3.5mm) send remote control signals to McIntosh source components. These Data Port connections allow for the remote operation of basic functions using the MA5200's Remote Control.
- IR Input: The 3.5mm IR input allows the connection of an external IR receiver. With an external sensor connected to the MA5200, remote control operation of the system is possible from another room and/or when the MA5200 is located in a cabinet with the doors closed. The signal from a connected external IR receiver will have priority over the signal from the integrated amp's front-panel IR sensor.
- RS-232C Port: The integrated amp's RS-232C port requires a 3.5mm stereo minijack to a subminiature DB 9 connector cable (sold separately) to transmit and receive RS-232 commands.
AC Power Cord + Auto Power Off: The McIntosh MA5200 integrated amp features a detachable AC power cord with 3-pole IEC connector. The MA5200 incorporates an Auto Off feature, which automatically places the integrated amplifier into the Power Saving Standby/Off Mode after approximately 30 minutes of inactivity or no audio signal.
Mounting Options: The McIntosh MA5200 can be placed upright on a table or shelf, standing on its four feet. It also can be custom installed in a piece of furniture or cabinet of your choice. The four feet may be removed from the bottom of the MA5200 when it is custom installed. Always provide adequate ventilation for your MA5200. Allow at least 2" above the top, 2" below the bottom, and 2" on each side of the integrated amp, so that airflow is not obstructed.
4 questions already asked