About the McIntosh MB50
Wireless music player with McIntosh sensibility
Wireless music player with McIntosh sensibility
The McIntosh MB50 adds wireless music to your existing system via DTS Play-Fi (phone not included).
When high-end audio fans buy McIntosh gear, they hang on to it. The company's components are built to last, so amps and speakers purchased years ago often sound as pristine and satisfying as they did on day one. But the way we listen to music has evolved in the age of digital streaming. That's where the McIntosh MB50 streaming audio player fits in. It features DTS Play-Fi®, giving you wireless access to a huge selection of music, all controlled with your phone, tablet, or PC. Several digital and analog outputs ensure your tunes sound their best through your existing stereo gear — whether it's old-school or brand new.
DTS Play-Fi gives you tons of music choices
The MB50 connects to your home network via dual Wi-Fi® antennas, reducing drop-outs and interference. Once connected, Play-Fi gives you easy access to music stored on your computers, music servers, and mobile devices — including high-quality lossless files. You also have access to popular subscription-based music services like TIDAL and Amazon Prime, along with over 37,000 Internet radio stations.
A multi-room music system with flexibility
Play-Fi is also a flexible whole-home audio system. While you stream a laid-back playlist on the MB50 through your big living-room speakers, the kids can thump out uptempo tracks on a McIntosh RS100 Play-fi speaker in the basement. Or play the same song through both. And these McIntosh devices will work with other Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers, so you can mix and match.
Set up and control Play-Fi on your phone, tablet, or laptop
The McIntosh MB50 features flexible inputs and outputs along with dual Wi-Fi antennas.
Download the free DTS Play-Fi app, and you're ready to use the MB50 in mere minutes. It's available for Android™, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows® PC operating systems. Use the app to select music, control playback, and adjust volume.
Plays nicely with other McIntosh gear
The MB50's glass front display and steel chassis complements the look of other McIntosh components. And the connections make them a perfect match. There are balanced XLR outputs for connection to a compatible preamp or integrated amp, as well as unbalanced RCA outs. Or, you can connect its coaxial or optical digital output to a digital-ready preamp like the McIntosh C47.
You can also use the MB50 as a preamp for other gear, like a CD player, using the digital and analog inputs. Back-panel trigger input and output connections allow automatic power on/off when used with other compatible McIntosh components.
A world-famous audio heritage, made in America
Since its founding in 1949, McIntosh has defined the meaning of high-quality sound reproduction, while setting industry standards for superior performance and reliability. The company is based in Binghamton, New York, where its high-end components and speakers are still individually handcrafted by a team of skilled experts. This uncompromising dedication to quality has made McIntosh one of the most recognized and respected audio manufacturers in the world.
- add wireless music to your existing home audio system
- analog and digital outputs
- analog and digital inputs allow use as a preamp for a variety of music sources
- mirror-finish stainless steel chassis is rack-mountable
- fiber optic illuminated glass front panel for a beautiful appearance and long-term durability
- hand-crafted at McIntosh's Binghamton, New York factory
DTS Play-Fi Software:
- allows speaker to communicate with McIntosh RS100, as well as other Play-Fi speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Play-Fi app for Apple, Android, Kindle, and Windows PC offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- balanced stereo XLR outputs
- unbalanced stereo RCA outputs
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for connection to a digital preamp
- trigger input and output for automatic power on/off with other McIntosh components
- front-panel 1/4" headphone output
- one Toslink optical digital audio input and one coaxial digital audio input (supports music files up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- set of unbalanced stereo RCA inputs
- USB port for firmware updates
- also compatible with Ethernet-to-USB adapter (sold separately) for a hardwired connection to your home network
- 802.11g/n Wi-Fi router required for multi-room streaming
- works with 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz routers
- total harmonic distortion: 0.005%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 100 dB
- 11-1/2"W x 3-1/2"H x 15-1/2"D
- weight: 8.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet and Wi-Fi router
- MFR # MB50
What's in the box:
- Network streaming audio player
- 6' AC power adapter
- AC power cord
- 2 WLAN antennas
- Remote control
- Owner's Manual
McIntosh MB50 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the McIntosh MB50
Network Streaming Audio Player: Transform your home's existing audio system into a wireless audio system with the McIntosh MB50 Network Streaming Audio Player. Simply connect it to your home audio system and Wi-Fi network and then control it from your Apple iOS device, Android smartphone/tablet, or Windows PC. The MB50 features DTS Play-Fi technology to give you the freedom and flexibility to wirelessly play your music at home over your existing Wi-Fi network. Analog and digital outputs let you to connect it to your existing home audio system. Plus, analog and digital inputs let you connect other audio components to the MB50, allowing it to act as a mini-preamp.
Built-In WiFi: The McIntosh MB50 features built-in WiFi and dual WLAN antennas to connect to your home's existing wireless WiFi network to give you access to Internet Radio, select online music services, and the music libraries on your smartphone/tablet or laptop/computer.
- 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Dual Band 2.4GHz / 5.0 GHz
- WPS (WiFi Protected Setup)
Note: The unit's USB (type-A) port is used exclusively to connect the MB50 to a wired network using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield).
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The McIntosh MB50 network streaming audio player employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like McIntosh, MartinLogan, Definitive Technology, Polk, Paradigm, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
DTS Play-Fi App: Download the free DTS Play-Fi App onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the McIntosh MB50 network streaming audio player, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi components. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled products throughout your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The McIntosh MB50 network streaming audio player & DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS & Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the PW800 through the free DTS Play-Fi app.
- Online Music Services: From the free DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to TIDAL, Amazon Music, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio. *Pandora, *Spotify Connect, & *SiriusXM will be available the later part of 2016 via a Firmware Update.
- Computer Audio: The McIntosh MB50 is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the free DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The MB50 network streaming audio player and DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi device and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Outputs: The MB50 is fitted with both balanced & unbalanced analog outputs to connect the network stream audio player to your home audio system. There is a balanced stereo XLR output and an unbalanced stereo RCA output. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Digital Outputs: The McIntosh MB50 is also equipped with an optical (toslink) digital output and a coax (RCA) digital output for connection of the network streaming audio player to your home audio system.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The MB50 features analog & digital inputs to connect external audio devices through the MB50, allowing the network streaming audio player to act as a preamp or DAC. There is one analog stereo RCA input, a optical (toslink) digital input, and a coax (RCA) digital input. The digital inputs support 2ch stereo PCM audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Note: The analog & digital inputs can only be played back from the MB50's balanced/unbalanced analog outputs and headphone jack; these input sources cannot be streamed to other DTS Play-Fi devices.
1/4" Headphone Jack: The network streaming audio player features a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for private listening.
Classic McIntosh Design: The McIntosh MB50 network streaming audio player incorporates classic McIntosh design cues, including a black glass front-panel, brushed aluminum end-caps, & illuminated logo.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: The network streaming audio player features the following front-panel controls - Standby/On, Volume, Input, and WiFi/Net. The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the MB50. Remote controls include Power, Input, Volume, Mute, Play/Pause, Stop, Previous/Next Track & Menu Navigation.
Trigger In/Out: The MB50 network streaming audio player has the ability to automatically switch power on or off to and from source components via the Trigger In/Out connections (3.5mm).
AC Power + Auto Power Off: The McIntosh MB50 features an external AC power adapter & detachable AC power cord. The MB50 incorporates an Auto Off feature, which automatically places the network streaming audio player into the Power Saving Standby/Off Mode after approximately 2 hours of inactivity or no audio signal.
Mounting Options: The McIntosh MB50 can be placed upright on a table or shelf, standing on its four feet. It also can be installed in a piece of furniture or cabinet of your choice. Always provide adequate ventilation for your MB50. Allow at least 1" above the top, 1" below the bottom, and 1" on each side of the preamplifier, so that airflow is not obstructed.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked