About the McIntosh MCT450
A true disc-playing specialist
A true disc-playing specialist
The McIntosh MCT450 SACD/CD transport is a true specialist among audio components. Its sole purpose — to spin and read your music discs with absolute precision. That's it. There's no DAC or analog circuitry inside to interfere with the pure digital signals coming from your CDs or SACDs. And because it's a McIntosh, you can count on the MCT450 pulling every last bit of musical detail from your discs for state-of-the-art sound reproduction.
A transport that handles your discs with care
The MCT450 is compatible with most standard music discs, including SACD, CD, CD-R, and CD-RW, including MP3 and WMA discs. The transport's twin laser optical pickup ensures optimal playback of both CDs and SACDs. Audio data is read at twice normal speed to provide better tracking and error correction with damaged CDs and CD-R/RWs. The MCT450's premium die-cast aluminum disc tray and advanced transport mechanism provide fast, quiet, and accurate handling of all your discs. The entire unit is housed in a classic McIntosh polished stainless steel chassis with a black glass front panel and brushed aluminum end caps.
The softly illuminated black glass front panel, brushed aluminum end caps, and two-tone stainless steel chassis give the MCT450 a pure classic McIntosh look.
Versatile digital outputs
The MCT450 requires connection to an external DAC or other component with a built-in digital-to-analog converter. Here are the transport's digital output options for playing music through those components:
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs: Use these outputs for playing your CDs through a component with matching inputs, such as the McIntosh MAC6700 stereo receiver or MA5200 integrated amplifier.
- XLR digital balanced audio output: This high-quality output is designed for sending CD sound to components with a matching digital XLR input.
- DIN digital audio output: This specialized output feeds both CD (PCM) and SACD (DSD) digital audio signals from the MCT450 to compatible McIntosh preamps, such as the C47 analog and digital preamplifier and D150 digital preamplifier, for ultra-high-performance decoding. (High-res music fans: If you want to play SACDs, this is the output you'll need to use.)
A world-famous audio heritage, made in America
Since its founding in 1949, McIntosh has defined the meaning of high-quality sound reproduction, while setting industry standards for superior performance and reliability. The company is based in Binghamton, New York, where its high-end components and speakers are still individually handcrafted by a team of skilled experts. This uncompromising dedication to quality has made McIntosh one of the most recognized and respected audio manufacturers in the world.
- stereo playback for SACDs, hybrid SACDs, audio CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- high-precision disc mechanism with sturdy die-cast aluminum disc tray
- disc audio data is read at twice normal speed for better error correction and tracking
- linear power supply with special R-Core power transformer and multiple regulators to ensure stable noise-free operation
- fiber optic illuminated glass front panel and mirror-finish stainless steel chassis for a beautiful appearance and long-term durability
- digital audio outputs:
- optical (Toslink) and coaxial (RCA)
- XLR (AES/EBU)
- DIN (proprietary McIntosh cable included)
- DIN digital audio output available for SACD playback when connected to a compatible McIntosh component with DIN input
- Power Control input jack receives turn-on signals from a McIntosh component
- Power Control output jack sends turn-on signals to another McIntosh component
- Data In jack receives control data from a McIntosh Control Center
- IR input for connecting an IR receiver
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/2"W x 6"H x 19"D
- weight: 26 lbs
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MCT450
What's in the box:
- CD/SACD transport
- 6' AC power cord
- 4' Digital DIN cable
- Remote control
- Owner's Manual
McIntosh MCT450 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the McIntosh MCT450
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||Yes|
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Stereo SACD Playback||Yes|
|CD Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Given|
|SACD Dynamic Range||Not Given|
|SACD THD||Not Given|
|Analog RCA Output||No|
|Analog XLR Output||No|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
Twin Laser Pickup: The McIntosh MCT450 incorporates two laser elements, with different wavelengths, that are focused through one lens assembly. This unique design allows reading both the CD and Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) discs formats. The MCT450 supports playback of CD-Audio and SACD discs. The MCT450 also support MP3 & WMA music files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs, in ISO9660 Level 1 standard.
Advanced Transport: The MCT450 has a newly designed transport with a die-cast tray. Its premium aluminum die cast CD tray provides the best handling of music discs. It has the latest in advanced digital servo for faster, quieter and accurate operation. The disc audio data is read at twice the normal rate insuring better disc tracking and error correction processing.
McIntosh Classic Design: The CD/SACD transport is housed in a classic McIntosh styled, polished stainless steel chassis with a black glass front-panel and brushed aluminum end caps.
Linear Power Supply: The linear power supply has both a special R-Core power transformer and multiple regulators to ensure stable noise free operation even though the power line varies.
Digital Outputs: Digital balanced, coaxial, optical and DIN outputs are available, giving you flexibility in connecting the MCT450 to the rest of your system; this includes home theater processors, integrated amplifiers, and preamplifiers.
- Balanced XLR: The Balanced XLR digital output supports 2ch stereo PCM audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz or 32-bit/96kHz. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- Optical: The optical (toslink) digital output supports 2ch stereo PCM audio signals up to 24-bit/192kHz.
- Coaxial: The coaxial (RCA) digital output supports 2ch stereo PCM audio signals up to 24-bit/96kHz.
- DIN (McIntosh Only): The unique DIN output connects to select McIntosh models with a DIN input (like the C47 or D150 preamps) for the purest possible sound quality, supporting PCM (CD-Audio) & DSD (SACD) audio. The MCT450 includes the needed DIN cable.
Note: The MCT450 CD/SACD transport contains no analog outputs.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: Front-panel controls include Track & Level rotary knobs, as well as the following push-button controls - Standby/On, Open/Close, Play/Pause, Stop, Disc Layer, Previous/Next Track, & Time. The included IR remote control with illuminated push-buttons provides complete wireless operation of the MCT450's functions.
Front-Panel Display: The MCT450's front-panel display indicates the current disc playback status, including elapsed time, remaining time, and total time.
Custom Integration: The McIntosh MCT450 offers advanced connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration.
- Power Control: The MCT450 has the ability to automatically switch power on or off to and from source components via the Power Control In/Out connections (3.5mm).
- Data Port: The MCT450's Data Out Port (3.5mm) sends remote control signals to a McIntosh source component. This Data Port connection allows for the remote operation of basic functions using the MCT450's remote control.
- IR Input: The 3.5mm IR input allows the connection of an external IR receiver. With an external sensor connected to the MCT450, remote control operation of the system is possible from another room and/or when the MCT450 is located in a cabinet with the doors closed. The signal from a connected external IR receiver will have priority over the signal from the unit's front-panel IR sensor.
AC Power Cord + Auto Power Off: The McIntosh MCT450 features a detachable AC power cord with 3-pole IEC connector. The MCT450 incorporates an Auto Off feature, which automatically places the CD/SACD transport into the Power Saving Standby/Off Mode after approximately 30 minutes of inactivity or no audio signal.
Mounting Options: The McIntosh MCT450 can be placed upright on a table or shelf, standing on its four feet. It also can be custom installed in a piece of furniture or cabinet of your choice. The four feet may be removed from the bottom of the MCT450 when it is custom installed. Always provide adequate ventilation for your MCT450. Allow at least 2" above the top, 2" below the bottom, and 1" on each side of the CD/SACD transport, so that airflow is not obstructed.