About the McIntosh MR87
Classic radio performance from a classic audio brand
Classic radio performance from a classic audio brand
If you're ready to get the most out of your favorite AM and FM radio stations, then you're ready for the McIntosh MR87 tuner. Proprietary radio-frequency circuitry pulls in both strong and weak signals with amazing accuracy. An old-school weighted tuning dial lets you make minute adjustments to optimize reception. Forty presets let you save your favorite radio stations for quick access.
Getting the most from each broadcast
The MR87 displays RDS (radio data system) information that many FM stations broadcast. You'll see frequency, call letters, even artist and song info displayed from participating stations.
The tuner's signal quality monitor displays multipath and noise levels of the incoming signal. This helps you find the optimal tuning for each station. Built-in advanced digital signal processing further minimizes multipath tuning noise. This helps the MR87 deliver clearer audio quality, even from weak signals.
A perfect complement to other McIntosh gear
The MR87 is compatible with other McIntosh components. The tuner features balanced XLR outputs for connection to a preamp or integrated amp, as well as unbalanced RCA outputs. You can also connect it to a digital-ready preamp like the McIntosh C47 with an optical or coaxial digital connection. A rear-panel data port allows you to control multiple McIntosh components simultaneously with a single remote.
A world-famous audio heritage, made in America
Since 1949, McIntosh has defined the meaning of high-quality sound reproduction and set industry standards for superior performance and reliability. The company is based in Binghamton, New York, where its high-end components and speakers are still individually handcrafted by a team of skilled experts. This uncompromising dedication to quality has made McIntosh one of the most recognized and respected audio manufacturers in the world.
- 40 station presets (20 AM, 20 FM)
- 2-line display for showing RDS artist/song/station info
- weighted tuning dial with illuminated analog display for a vintage look and feel
- balanced stereo XLR outputs
- unbalanced stereo RCA outputs
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for connection to a digital preamp
- RS-232 and control connections for use with external control systems or integration with other McIntosh components
- data port allows basic remote control of the MR87 via a McIntosh preamp
- adjustable brightness settings for display and dials
- RAA2 AM antenna included (FM antenna not included)
- detachable power cord
- FM analog specs:
- harmonic distortion: 0.4% (mono), 0.8% (stereo)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 70 dB (mono), 68 dB (stereo)
- AM analog specs:
- harmonic distortion: 0.5%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 50 dB
- fiber optic illuminated glass front panel and mirror-finish stainless steel chassis
- HRD070 programmable universal remote
- handcrafted at McIntosh's Binghamton, New York factory
- 17-1/2"W x 6"H x 18"D
- weight: 25.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MR87
What's in the box:
- AM/FM radio tuner
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- AM amplified antenna
- 20' Antenna cable
- Owner's Manual
McIntosh MR87 reviews
Excellent. Heard FM is dead. Guess not since you still listen to it on your car radio. This brings it into your house at a whole different level. Simple system running of an MXA80. All digital connections. Old schools sort of. Smile.
5 of 6 found this helpful
More details on the McIntosh MR87
Classic McIntosh Design: The MR87 AM/FM tuner incorporates classic McIntosh design cues, including a black glass front-panel, rotary knobs, illuminated logo, stainless steel chassis, & gold-plated connectors. The MR87's smooth acting weighted tuning mechanism with glass dial and illuminated pointer resembles that of the classic McIntosh analog tuners from the 60's and 70's.
AM/FM Tuner: The McIntosh MR87 tuner excels at receiving traditional AM and FM broadcasts. It features proprietary radio-frequency (RF) circuitry to receive strong FM signals from nearby stations without distortion, while also receiving weaker FM signals located further away with little to no noise. The included RAA2 AM antenna features a 20' long cable that allows flexibility in placing the antenna in order to achieve the best AM reception (no FM antennas is included). The MR87's advanced signal quality monitor can display the multipath and noise levels of the incoming RF signal to help fine tune antenna placement for optimal reception.
Tuning Methods: The McIntosh MR87 offers Manual, Seek, Preset, and Direct AM/FM station tuning. You can store up to 40 total station presets - 20 FM and 20 AM.
Stereo/Mono Mode: The MR87 tuner automatically switches between Stereo and Monaural FM Broadcasts. You can manually activate the tuner's Mono mode for weaker FM stations to combine left and right stereo signals to a monophonic audio signal.
RDS Text Info: The MR87 tuner supports the display of RDS (Radio Data System) text from many FM radio stations, programs, & channels. When available from a FM broadcast station, the text information appears on the second line of the tuner's front-panel display. It may also scroll from right to left, this is for information not possible to display at the same time. This information may include some or all of the following -
- Station Call Letters and/or Frequency
- Type of Program and/or music format
- Name of the Artist
- Name of the Song
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Outputs: The MR87 is fitted with both balanced & unbalanced analog outputs to connect the AM/FM tuner to your home audio system. There is a balanced stereo XLR output and an unbalanced stereo RCA output. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality. The balanced and unbalanced outputs may be used simultaneously.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Outputs: The McIntosh MR87 is also equipped with an optical (toslink) digital output and a coax (RCA) digital output for connection of the AM/FM tuner to your home audio system.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: The MR87 AM/FM tuner offers front-panel controls, including Preset & Tune rotary knobs, and the following push-button controls - Standby/On, Band, Seek Up/Down, Mono/Stereo, Store/Exit, Display, & Category. The included IR remote provides full wireless operation of tuner. The remote can also be used to operate other McIntosh components.
Fluorescent Display: The two line multifunction fluorescent display indicates artist name, station call sign, music genre, and song title; as well as setup functions. The brightness level of the fluorescent display can be adjusted from 0-20.
Linear Power Supply: The MR87 utilizes a linear power supply with a custom-wound R-Core transformer and nested regulation to insure optimum performance of all circuits.
Custom Integration: The McIntosh MR87 offers advanced connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration.
- IR Input: The 3.5mm IR input allows the connection of an external IR receiver. With an external sensor connected to the MR87, remote control operation of the system is possible from another room and/or when the MR87 is located in a cabinet with the doors closed. The signal from a connected external IR receiver will have priority over the signal from the tuner's front-panel IR sensor.
- Power Control: The MR87 has the ability to automatically switch power on or off to and from source components via the Power Control In/Out connections (3.5mm).
- Data Port: The MR87's Data Out Port (3.5mm) sends remote control signals to a McIntosh source component. This Data Port connection allows for the remote operation of basic functions using the MR87's remote control.
- RS-232C Port: The tuner's RS-232C port requires a 3.5mm stereo minijack to a subminiature DB 9 connector cable (sold separately) to transmit and receive RS-232 commands.
Mounting Options: The McIntosh MR87 can be placed upright on a table or shelf, standing on its four feet. It also can be custom installed in a piece of furniture or cabinet of your choice. The four feet may be removed from the bottom of the MR87 when it is custom installed. Always provide adequate ventilation for your MR87. Allow at least 2" above the top, 2" below the bottom, and 2" on each side of the tuner, so that airflow is not obstructed.
- Tuning Range: 530kHz - 1710kHz (USA), 522kHZ - 1602kHz (Europe)
- Channel Spacing: 10kHz
- Sensitivity: 350uV/m
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 50dB
- Frequency Response: 50Hz - 3,000Hz (0dB/-6dB)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.5%
- Selectivity: 45dB (Adjacent Channel)
- Tuning Range: 87.5MHz - 107.9MHz (USA), 87.5MHz - 108.0MHz (Europe)
- Channel Spacing: 50, 100, or 00kHz
- Useable Sensitivity: 2.2uV (18.1dBf)
- 50DB Quieting Sensitivity: 1.5uV (14.8dBf)
- Signal-to-Noise Radio: 70dB (Mono), 68dB (Stereo)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 15,000Hz (+/-1dB)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.4% (Mono), 0.8% (Stereo)
- Channel Selectivity: 60dB (Adjacent Channel), 66dB (Alternate Channel)
- Stereo Separation: 38dB
1 question already asked