About the McIntosh RS150
Vintage McIntosh style with modern wireless performance
Vintage McIntosh style with modern wireless performance
The RS150 has classic McIntosh looks and performance with cutting-edge network streaming technology built in.
McIntosh built their reputation on superior sound quality and good old-fashioned craftsmanship. Innovation is another reason they're still around after 70 years. The RS150 wireless speaker system is a perfect example of this. It's a retro-styled speaker cabinet that meets your streaming needs with AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, and Roon. Play music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or PC and stream tunes from virtually any music service — Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, Qobuz, and many more. The RS150 also offers lossless playback of songs in your digital library. It'll even play your high-resolution files, decoding at rates up to 24-bit/192kHz.
McIntosh mirrors other audiophile brands with their recent move to open-platform streaming options. I love that freedom of choice. You can build your multi-room system out of speakers and components from a variety of brands and control them all with your phone. As for the RS150, it's 100% McIntosh, which you can see from one glance at the classic-looking front panel, knobs, and glowing blue meter.
Powerful, detailed McIntosh sound
Wireless streaming audio keeps getting better, and the RS150 delivers it with authoritative McIntosh punch and clarity. Its 3/4" titanium dome tweeter provides smooth highs, while the 5-1/4" long throw woofer delivers accurate mids and tight bass. And a rear-firing port in the solid, distortion-dampening cabinet reinforces deep lows.
Flexible system setup and control
The RS150 connects to your home network via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Once set up, you can stream tunes from your favorite services, including Spotify and TIDAL. It's also compatible with AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, and Roon so you can create a simple yet flexible multi-room audio system across brands. All three platforms allow you to send the same song to multiple compatible components and speakers or play a different song in every room.
Whichever way you connect, you can use your favorite device to choose your music, control playback, and adjust volume. Friends and family can even control speakers independently with their own devices.
Built-in Bluetooth 5.0
You can also stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the RS150 speaker system via Bluetooth 5.0. This version of the popular wireless technology represents a big step forward. You get a stronger, more stable connection. And the built-in aptX HD audio coding allows CD-quality sound from compatible devices.
Compatible with voice assistants
The RS150 does not have built-in microphones. But if you add (or already own) a Google Assistant device, you can control it with your voice. And Siri will take your commands for all things AirPlay 2. So you can stay on the couch while you tell it to turn the music on or off, up or down, and more.
- 2-way powered speaker system with network streaming
- high-gloss black finish with clear glass front panel and McIntosh's classic illuminated blue meter
- two built-in drivers:
- one 5-1/4" long-throw mid/bass woofer
- one 3/4" titanium dome tweeter
- rear ported cabinet for enhanced bass
- 120 watts total amplification: 90 watts woofer, 30 watts tweeter
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- works with Apple AirPlay 2, Chromecast, Spotify Connect, Spotify HiFi, TIDAL Connect, and Roon (subscription required for some services)
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening
- aptX® HD decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- aptX Low Latency decoding helps sync audio and video on compatible devices
- supports MP3, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, M4A, OGG, and AIFF audio files (must also be supported by chosen source app and device)
- maximum audio resolution: 24-bit/192kHz
- frequency response: 48-20,000 Hz
- Ethernet port for a hardwired connection to your home network
- USB port for firmware updates
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- removable grille covered in black cloth
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi supported for multi-room streaming
- works with 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz routers
- 7-11/16"W x 14-3/8"H x 8-5/8"D
- weight: 18.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RS150
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
McIntosh RS150 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the McIntosh RS150
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Type||Plastic Cone|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||120|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Frequency Response||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||192 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
2-Way Speaker System: The RS150 wireless active speaker system delivers legendary McIntosh sound performance. It features a 2-way driver design with a 0.75" titanium dome, fluid-filled tweeter and 5.25" long-throw cone woofer for room-filling, full-range home audio sound with a frequency response of 48Hz to 20kHz. The long-throw woofer uses a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for bigger, deeper bass response. The McIntosh RS150 is equipped with a built-in 120 watt amplifier with 30 watts going to the tweeter and 90 watts going to the woofer for dynamic sound reproduction with crisp, clear highs and high output deep bass extensions - all with low distortion. Bass control has also been added; this can be used to help fine tune the low-frequency performance based on your unique room characteristics and listening preferences.
High Quality DAC: The McIntosh RS150 speaker system incorporates an high-quality DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that supports up to 24-bit/192kHz audio via Tidal Connect and Roon, 24-bit/96kHz via Chromecast built-in, 24-bit/44.1kHz via AirPlay 2, and 24-bit/48kHz via aptX HD. Supported audio formats include MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and Ogg Vorbis (support of audio formats will depend on streaming source).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The McIntosh RS150 can be connected to your home network via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. There is a RJ-45 Ethernet port (10/100Mbps) on the back of the speaker system which allows for a hardwired connection. Built-in 2.4GHz/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) allows the RS150 speaker system to connect wirelessly to your home network. This network connection allows support for the Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Apple AirPlay 2, Chromecast Built-In, and Roon.
Integrated Online Music Services: The McIntosh RS150 offers supports for Spotify Connect & Tidal Connect, allowing you to stream music directly from the Spotify or Tidal app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the wireless speaker system.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to a free or paid Spotify subscription and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the McIntosh speaker system using Spotify Connect. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- Tidal Connect: The integration of Tidal Connect will enable Tidal users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the McIntosh speaker system from within the Tidal app (for Apple iOS and Android OS). Tidal is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. Tidal has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access Tidal's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) through the McIntosh RS150 speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the McIntosh speaker system. In addition, you can watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the RS150 speaker system.
Chromecast Built-In: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the McIntosh RS150 speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the KEF speaker system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the RS150 speaker. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The RS150 and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
Roon Ready: Roon Ready network devices (such as the McIntosh RS150) have Roon's streaming technology built-in, and are certified by Roon Labs to provide the highest level of quality and performance in network streaming. Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across all other Roon enabled audio devices in your home. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, & ALAC) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also watch your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the Roon enabled devices around your house. Simply select the music you wish to play and the RS150 or other Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the RS150. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or turnkey appliance (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth 5.0: The McIntosh RS150 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio music streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the RS150 speaker system. You can pair multiple devices to the speaker system, but only one source device can be connected and used for playback at a time. The McIntosh RS150 supports SBC (Sub-Band Coding), AAC (Advanced Audio Coding), aptX, aptX HD, and aptX LL codecs.
- SBC: The SBC (Sub-Band Coding) is Bluetooth's standard audio codec that is universally compatible with all Bluetooth-enable devices. SBC supports up to 320kbps.
- AAC: AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) is a step-up from Bluetooth's standard SBC codec and is Apple's standard audio code. AAC supports up to 250kbps.
- aptX: aptX is an audio codec that can provide "CD-quality" music (up to 16-bit/44.1kHz). The RS150 will automatically utilize aptX when connected to a source (such as Android) that supports aptX.
- aptX HD: The RS150 also supports the higher resolution aptX HD for 24-bit/48kHz wireless audio. If your Bluetooth source device utilizes aptX HD then that resolution will be utilized automatically.
- aptX LL: In addition, the RS150 features aptX LL (Low Latency) which automatically ensures a wireless Bluetooth connection can deliver sound in sync with visual media. It reduces delay and improves end-to-end speed of the audio transmission, resulting in a high quality, synchronized user experience with any transmitting device that supports aptX LL.
Note: To utilize any of the aptX codecs, your Bluetooth-enabled source device must also support that version of aptX. Currently, Apple iOS devices only support SBC and AAC.
Front-Panel Controls & LED Meter: The front of the RS150 closely resembles the traditional McIntosh design aesthetic with a glass front-panel on the lower section of the speaker. Above the glass panel is the speaker grille that is easily removable to expose the tweeter & woofer. The RS150 also features a new illuminated digital output meter that uses the same trusted circuits found in McIntosh's analog meters to collect and process the audio signals. It then digitizes the results and outputs them into a pulsating, gradated bar that shares the curved shape of their familiar analog meters. There are also two front-panel 3-way rotary knobs for Volume, Mute, Play/Pause, and Bluetooth Pairing.
Note: The McIntosh RS150 does not offer a front-panel display for song/artist/album information. It also does not come with a wireless remote control.
Auto Input Selection: There is no Input Select knob or button. Instead, input selection is automatic. There is a hierarchy of input types. A WiFi connection will take precedence over a Bluetooth connection. If there is no WiFi connection present, the Bluetooth connection is automatic. If a Bluetooth connection is interrupted, then it must be re-established from the mobile device.
AC Power Requirements: The McIntosh RS150 comes with a 6' AC power cord (C7 2-prong) that plugs into the back of the speaker system and into an AC wall outlet for surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The RS150 will power off into a sleep state after approximately 30 minutes of no sound or user input. After 60 minutes of uninterrupted sleep, the RS150 will enter a Standby Mode. In this Standby Mode, the built-in WiFi is powered off and the unit can not be woken via the network. Standby Mode power consumption is less than 0.5 watts.
Note: The McIntosh RS150 is not battery powered.
Mounting Options: The RS150 speaker system can be tabletop mounted on a desk, countertop, bookcase, stand or other sturdy flat surface. Its moderate size allows the RS150 to be located and placed just about anywhere in your home. For best sound, do not place the RS150 directly against a wall. Leave a minimum of 2" from the wall to enable the acoustic port to function properly.
Note: The McIntosh RS150 does not included any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the loudspeaker system.
USB Service Port: The rear-panel USB-A port is only for performing service functions by a qualified service technician. It is not intended for USB device support or playback.
2 questions already asked