About the McIntosh RS200
Gorgeous "classic Mac" looks meet cutting-edge technology
Gorgeous "classic Mac" looks meet cutting-edge technology
The striking McIntosh RS200 (shown with grilles removed) has a dual three-way speaker design and offers several ways to play music wired or wirelessly.
It only takes one glance at the McIntosh RS200 wireless loudspeaker system to know who built it. Earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to visit the World of McIntosh townhouse — the company's absolutely epic showroom and event space in lower Manhattan. Unboxing this large, beautiful wireless speaker evokes the same thrilling feeling of walking into that century-old brownstone and seeing all those moving, glowing blue meters.
But it's what goes on beyond the RS200's glass front panel that really makes it special. There are dual three-way built-in speakers in a stereo configuration for a wide soundfield with precise imaging. And there are several ways to play your music, including some state-of-the-art wireless options.
Multi-room audio with Play-Fi
The McIntosh RS200 uses your home Wi-Fi® network and DTS Play-Fi technology for convenient music playback from your mobile device of choice. Stream music wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or PC or play services like TIDAL, Spotify®, Pandora®, and Rhapsody. And you can also enjoy SiriusXM if you have a subscription.
Build out your multi-room audio system with additional Play-Fi speakers and components from McIntosh or other companies. Play-Fi lets you mix and match brands. Have speakers in different rooms play the same song simultaneously, or access music from different sources. And you can control it all with the free Play-Fi app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet.
Play-Fi's Critical Listening Mode enables 24-bit/192kHz lossless streaming over Wi-Fi to a single zone at a time. So you can enjoy high-resolution WAV or FLAC files without downsampling.
Built-in Bluetooth 5.0 and Apple AirPlay 2
You can also stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the RS200 speaker system via Bluetooth. This is the latest and greatest version of the popular wireless technology, and it's a big deal. You get a stronger, more stable connection. And the built-in aptX HD audio coding allows CD quality sound from compatible devices.
For Apple users there's also AirPlay 2 technology. It lets you play audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer through the RS200. That includes soundtracks from YouTube® videos and Netflix movies.
Connect your TV via the HDMI ARC port or optical digital input.
Wired connection options
There are several ways to connect audio sources to the RS200. Want one of the most stylish sound bars ever? There's an audio-only HDMI input and digital optical input for connecting your TV. (You can even use a couple of RS100 speakers as wireless surrounds for greater home theater immersion.)
Connect your laptop via the USB Type-B port, or plug in a portable device to the 3.5mm stereo minijack. And if you need a little more thump, you can connect a separate powered subwoofer of your choice, via the mono RCA sub output.
Compatible with Amazon Alexa
The RS200 does not have built-in microphones. But if you add (or already own) an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, you can give it voice commands through Alexa. This feature is set up through the DTS Play-Fi app and enabled by the specific Play-Fi skill available through Amazon.
- dual 3-way speaker design
- two 3/4" titanium dome fluid-filled tweeters
- four 2" titanium inverted midrange drivers
- two 4" x 6" long-throw woofers
- power output: 400 watts to tweeters/midrange drivers, 250 watts to woofers
- illuminated front-panel power output meters
- can be turned off via the remote
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening
- aptX® HD decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- aptX Low Latency decoding helps sync audio and video on compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay 2 for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod, or computer
- frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 24-13/16"W x 5-3/4"H x 12-5/8"D
- weight: 29.5 lbs.
DTS Play-Fi app:
- free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play
- plays music stored on network hard drives and computers (DLNA-compatible)
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Deezer, Amazon Music Unlimited, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- play the same music in multiple zones simultaneously or individually select music for each player
- plays MP3, M4A, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz (downsamples high-resolution PCM files to 16-bit/48kHz)
- Critical Listing Mode allows streaming of high-res files up to 24-bit/192kHz in native resolution for a single zone at a time
- HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) port for connecting a compatible TV
- optical digital input
- 3.5mm stereo minijack input
- USB Type-B input for connecting a computer
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- removable cloth grilles
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RS200
What's in the box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 Grilles
- Owner's Manual
McIntosh RS200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the McIntosh RS200
McIntosh Room Filling Sound: The RS200 delivers legendary McIntosh room-filling sound with a frequency response of 40Hz to 20kHz. It offers 650 watts of total power that is delivered to eight drivers consisting of two 4" x 6" long-throw woofers, four 2" titanium inverted-dome midranges, and two 0.75" titanium dome tweeters. As the RS200 can be placed in a variety of locations with unique sonic characteristics, a 3-position EQ switch allows you to set the EQ based on your room and listening preferences.
- Optional Wireless Surround: The RS200 supports the connection of optional wireless rear speakers (958RS100, sold separately) to create a simple surround system with amazing sound.
- Subwoofer Output: A mono-subwoofer output is included to connect an external powered subwoofer to further enhance low frequencies. The subwoofer output has a variable 20-500Hz low pass crossover (100Hz recommended).
Built-In WiFi: The McIntosh RS200 features built-in 2.4/5.0GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) to connect to your home's existing WiFi network router to give you access to AirPlay 2, DTS Play-Fi, and Alexa voice control (requires Amazon Alexa enabled device - sold separately). WiFi setup can be done through the DTS Play-Fi app (for Apple iOS and Android), Apple AirPlay for iOS, or WPS (WiFi Protected Setup).
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the McIntosh R200 and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the RS200 speaker. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the McIntosh RS200 speaker system.
DTS Play-Fi: The McIntosh RS200 supports DTS Play-Fi for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. The Play-Fi app (for Apple iOS 8.0+, Android OS 4.0+, or Windows PC 7-up) is required to enjoy DTS Play-Fi wireless audio. From the app you can initially set up the RS200, as well as add, link, and control multiple DTS Play-Fi speakers and players. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound - up to 24-bit/192kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
- Sources: DTS Play-Fi provides access to many of leading streaming services including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more. You can save up to four of your favorite Play-Fi streaming services via the preset buttons on the top of the RS200; once configured, you can quickly play the saved streaming services directly from the cloud without needing a mobile device by simply tapping the preset buttons. DTS Play-Fi also provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from your Apple iOS & Android device running the Play-Fi app. In addition, the RS200 is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7-up) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. DTS Play-Fi supports music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 24-bit/192kHz to a single speaker (Critical Listening Mode) or up to 16-bit/48kHz to multiple speakers (CD Quality). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
- Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/192kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and does not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
- Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include - DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio; Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS & Android devices with the Play-Fi App installed; Music libraries from your Windows PC, DLNA music server, or Mac computer (running 3rd party software); as well as Analog, Digital, & Bluetooth audio sources.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi certified products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand in your home.
Works With Alexa: The RS200 is an "Amazon Works With Alexa" certified product through its support for DTS Play-Fi. Simply speak to your Alexa control device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to operate theRS200 from any room. You can designate the RS200 as your "Alexa Preferred Speaker" in the Alexa app, then you'll no longer need to specify the RS200 by name in order for music to play on it. Voice commands as simple as "Alexa, play top-40" to a linked control device will initiate playback on the RS200. Alexa voice commands are only supports by the RS200's DTS Play-Fi functions.
Note: The RS200 does not contain a built-in microphone or any listening capabilities,s and relies entirely on an Alexa control device (sold separately) for voice control.
Bluetooth 5.0: The McIntosh RS200 offers built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the RS200 speaker system. In addition to the Bluetooth's standard SBC codec, the RS200 offers support for AAC (delivers high quality playback for Apple iOS devices), Qualcomm aptX HD (delivers hi-res playback for select Android devices), and Qualcomm aptX Low latency (delivers improved audio transmission speed for audio/visual synchronization). You can control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track) from the included remote. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album information will still need to be done from your Bluetooth-enabled source device. You can pair multiple Bluetooth devices with the RS200, but only one can be connected and used for playback at a time.
Note: The RS200 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
USB-B Port: The RS200's USB-B port allows for connection to a Windows PC (7 and newer) or Mac computer (10.6.4 and newer). A Windows PC will require a separate McIntosh USB Audio Windows Driver that can be downloaded from McIntosh's support site. You'll be able to listen to compressed and hi-res music files on your Windows PC or Mac computer though the McIntosh RS200 speaker system.
Note: There is also a USB-A port that is for service use only (does not support audio playback).
HDMI ARC + CEC: The McIntosh RS200 is equipped with an HDMI ARC jack that can receive audio via an HDMI cable from an HDMI ARC enabled TV. The HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) jack supports up to 24-bit/192kHz audio in 2ch PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS.
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the RS200 features an optical (toslink) digital input for connection to your TV, Blu-ray player, or satellite/cable box. The optical digital input supports up to 24-bit/192kHz audio in 2ch PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS.
3.5mm Aux Input: In addition to wireless and digital connectivity, the RS200 offers a 3.5mm analog Aux input for connection of your legacy components.
Remote Control: The McIntosh RS200 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the speaker. The RS200 is also capable of learning Power, Volume, and Mute commands from most television IR remotes. Not all streaming music functions are controllable through the remote.
Trigger Out: A 12-volt trigger output (3.5mm) allows another component that features a 12-volt trigger input to automatically power on and off when the RS200 is powered on or off.
Auto Standby: The RS200 will automatically enter a Power Save Mode if no audio signal or command occurs after 30 minutes. If no audio signal or command occurs after 60 minutes in Power Save Mode, the RS200 will automatically enter Standby Mode.
Classic McIntosh Design: While designed for modern streaming music services, the RS200 features classic McIntosh design elements such as a black glass front panel, illuminated logo, control knobs, and a pair of fast responding blue watt meters.
Firmware Update App: The free McIntosh Updater app (for Apple iOS 8.0+) lets you check and update the RS200's firmware. A Android version will be available soon (no ETA).
3 questions already asked