About the DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter
Smooth, dazzling 4K aerial video
The DJI Phantom 4 is a sleek, highly maneuverable aircraft that shoots gorgeous, steady 4K video
Smooth, dazzling 4K aerial video
The DJI Phantom 4 is an amazingly lightweight, maneuverable quadcopter that lets you see the world from its point of view. It carries a 12-megapixel, 4K camera on a steadying gimbal mount, so you can bank and turn and swoop without transmitting any judder or shake to the camera. This drone responds to "tap-to-fly" commands, meaning that you can use your smartphone's touchscreen to take off, land, and navigate. Built-in GPS positioning helps your drone stay on course, and its Obstacle Sensing System helps prevent accidents, even at top speed.
Adapt to your surroundings with multiple flight modes
Three flight modes let you choose which of the drone's capabilities best suit you during any given outing. For most pilots, including first-timers, Position mode offers simple flight controls with plenty of help with navigation and safety assistance. For smoother, more responsive maneuvering during a video shoot, try Attitude mode. And when you're ready to open up the throttle and go for the Phantom 4's top speed, Sport mode gives you maximum piloting control.
The included remote controller connects with your smartphone (not included) to enable TapFly mode. Simply use your finger and the device's touchscreen to tell the Phantom 4 where to go next. If you'll be running, biking, skiing or otherwise occupied, go hands-free with ActiveTrack mode, and the drone will follow faithfully behind as you get your move on. If you're really new to drone piloting, a special Beginner Mode will let you learn the ropes with maximum safety protocols in place.
- quadcopter with 4K Ultra HD camera, controller, rechargeable intelligent flight battery, and charger
- magnesium core makes for an extremely lightweight, maneuverable aircraft
- flight time: up to 28 minutes
- maximum speed: 44 mph
- adapt to flight conditions with three flight modes (Position, Sport, or Attitude)
- detects potential obstacles up to 49 feet away (disabled in Sport mode)
- use your smartphone's touchscreen to navigate in TapFly mode
- GPS/GLONASS positioning allows super-accurate navigation
- drone will automatically follow a subject in ActiveTrack mode
- share footage with the free, downloadable DJIGO app for iOS® and Android™ devices
- flight telemetry data is stored internally and can be downloaded via micro USB port (cable included)
- weight: 3.04 lbs.
- 12-megapixel camera with 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
- records 4K video at 24 or 25 frames per second (Full HD at up to 120 fps)
- 3-axis gimbal mount stabilizes camera in flight
- wide, 94° field of view
- takes up to 7 still photos per second in burst mode
- fast shutter speeds down to 1/8000 sec.
- ISO range: 100-3200
- navigational alerts include sounds and vibrations
- records to optional microSD memory card (64 GB maximum capacity)
- built-in rechargeable battery
Included Accessories and Warranty:
- portable remote controller (2.4 GHz wireless band)
- rechargeable intelligent flight battery
- micro USB cable
- battery charger
- carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: The FAA requires users to register their drones. State and/or local laws may also restrict the use of this drone in certain areas.
- MFR # CP.PT.000312
What's in the box:
- Intelligent Flight Battery (installed in quadcopter)
- Gimbal camera (installed on quadcopter)
- Remote controller (w/ attached smartphone holder)
- 8 Propellers
- Battery charger
- 38" AC power cord
- 48" USB cable 4" USB extension cable
- Drawstring pouch
- Carry case
- Quick Start Guide
- "In the Box" sheet
- Intelligent Battery Safety Guidelines
- Disclaimer & Safety Guidelines
- "DJI Care" card
- "Know Before You Fly" card
DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter
Aerodynamic Magnesium Body: The Phantom 4's magnesium skeleton reduces weight while keeping stiffness at a maximum to minimize vibration. The Phantom 4's sleek and aerodynamically designed body minimizes buffeting when flying in strong winds and against gusts from any angle, keeping its movements predictable and precise. The deeply integrated gimbal and the new placement of battery lift Phantom 4's center of gravity, improving balance, enhancing agility and adding more accuracy to how it reacts to your commands.
- Max Ascent Speed: 6m/s (Sport mode)
- Max Descent Speed: 4m/s (Sport mode)
- Max Speed: 20m/s (Sport mode)
- Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level: 19,685ft (6000m)
- Vertical Hover Accuracy: +/- 0.1 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-0.5 m
- Horizontal Hover Accuracy: +/- 0.3 m (when Vision Positioning is active) or +/-1.5 m
Push-&-Release Propellers: Newly designed prop mounts allow each prop to be securely locked in place with a push and a twist and released just as easily. This locking mechanism allows the propeller to withstand harsh turning forces. The new prop mounts of the Phantom 4 allow each prop to be mounted more quickly and securely than before, requiring a simple push and twist to attach or release instead of screwing down each prop. This security allows the Phantom 4 to fly with more overall agility. Built from a durable composite material, each prop is durable enough to withstand many hours of flight.
28 Minute Flight Time: With the most advanced propulsion system, a streamlined body and a larger battery, the Phantom 4 achieves a 28 minute flight time. This is a 25% improvement over the already impressive Phantom 3. High efficiency motors and a custom designed large capacity battery offers 5350 mAh of power, giving the Phantom 4 a 28 minute flying time. Integrated power management, balanced charging capabilities plus smart charge and discharge protection keep the battery easy to charge and ready to fly at maximum capacity.
Dual Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs): Dual compass modules and dual Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) allow the Phantom 4 to constantly check the data it is receiving. This means any incorrect data can be isolated and ignored without ever affecting your flight. On rare occasions, inconsistencies in compass or IMU data can affect the way an aircraft behaves. The Phantom 4 features dual compass modules and dual Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) that allow it to constantly compare the data it is receiving through both pairs. This data is run through advanced algorithms to check accuracy and any inaccurate data is simply discarded without affecting flight.
Intelligent Flight Positioning: The Phantom 4 connects to both GPS and GLONASS, allowing it to connect to satellites faster and position itself with extreme accuracy in the air. The Phantom 4 draws on up to 24 satellites to give you more accuracy and a faster connection to satellites, keeping you in complete control of your flight. Using a combination of GPS and GLONASS it is completely aware of its starting point, location and relation to you during flight. This intelligence means it knows its last position, provides Return to Home, shows you where it is on a map and much more.
Vision Positioning System (VPS): DJI's Vision Positioning System has been refined, increasing its effective altitude by over 300% from the Phantom 3's altitude to 10 meters and sharpening up its positioning capabilities, allowing for greater security and confidence when flying indoors. The advanced stereo Vision Positioning System (VPS) gives the Phantom 4 precise hovering, even without satellite positioning support, making it easier and safer to fly. The downward facing Visio Positioning module contains dual cameras and dual ultrasonic sensors to offer five times more positioning accuracy than previous systems. Used indoors, it provides a GPS-like flying experience, giving you the confidence you need to fly indoor. The VPS also allows it to brake instantly and hover when joystick controls are released. If disturbed during a hover, it will track the Phantom 4's movement and return it to its original hovering point.
- Velocity Range: ≤10m/s ( 2m above ground)
- Altitude Range: 0-33ft (0 - 10m)
- Operating Range: 0-33ft (0 - 10m)
- Operating Environment: Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (Lux > 15)
Obstacle Avoidance: A forward Obstacle Sensing System gives the Phantom 4 it its own pair of eyes, empowering it to see in three dimensions and to react. Front obstacle sensors combine with advanced computer vision and processing to give the Phantom active Obstacle Avoidance that allows it to react to and avoid obstacles in its path. It also gives you warnings so you always know what is happening to the Phantom. In Normal Mode if it sees an obstacle coming close it will stop and hover. In TapFly, ActiveTrack and Smart Return Home Modes it will avoid the obstacle, or hover to avoid a collision.
- Obstacle Sensory Range: 2-49ft (0.7-15m)
- Operating Environment: Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (lux > 15)
Flight Modes: The Phantom 4 is flexible enough to meet different flying demands. Switching flight modes to meet your needs, whether you are looking for simplicity and intelligent navigation, speed or smooth cinematic movements is easy. In Position Mode you can use satellite and Vision Positioning, TapFly, ActiveTrack and Intelligent Flight Modes. Sport Mode adds extra agility and speed, reaching 45mph (72kph) while maintaining satellite and Vision Positioning systems. Atti Mode holds the Phantom's altitude and level but switches off satellite positioning making it ideal for smooth film making movements.
- P-Mode (Positioning): P-mode works best when the GPS signal is
strong. The aircraft utilizes the GPS and Obstacle Sensing System to
automatically stabilize itself, navigate between obstacles or track a moving
object. Advanced features such as TapFly and ActiveTrack are enabled in this
- Tap To Fly: In TapFly Mode, all you have to do to fly is tap on the screen of your smartphone or tablet. To change the direction of flight, you can simply tap the screen to fly anywhere. Flying using control sticks and maintaining altitude, course and speed can be challenging, so TapFly takes over all of these controls for you leaving you to focus on your shot.
- ActiveTrack: Using ActiveTrack, the Phantom 4 will recognize your subject, follow them naturally, and keep them in the frame. No GPS bracelet, tracker or beacon required. Whether you are running, driving, rafting and more, the Phantom 4 uses an advanced combination of computer vision, object recognition and machine learning to track you as you go. Circling a moving object used to only be achievable by the most seasoned of pilots, now everyone can do it with a flick of the thumb. The entire time that ActiveTrack is running, Obstacle Avoidance is too, so it will decide whether it should continue following, avoid an obstacle or simply stop.
- S-Mode (Sport): The handling gain values of the aircraft are adjusted in order to enhance the maneuverability of the aircraft in S-mode. The maximum flight speed of the aircraft is increased to 20m/s in this mode. Note that Obstacle Sensing system is disabled in this mode.
- A-Mode (Altitude): When neither the GPS nor the Obstacle Sensing System is available, the aircraft will only use its barometer for positioning to control the altitude. Altitude Mode holds the Phantom's altitude and level but switches off satellite positioning making it ideal for smooth film making movements.
Safety Modes: Safety modes include Failsafe and Return-to-Home. These features ensure the safe return of your aircraft if the control signal is lost.
Return Home: Fly with absolute freedom and confidence, knowing the Phantom 4 will return to you at the press of a button. Built-in GPS records the Phantom's takeoff point and remembers it as you fly. Then at your command, or if the control signal is ever lost, the Phantom comes back to you instantly.
Failsafe: If the Intelligent Flight Battery is running low, or if the Phantom 4 loses the connection with the remote controller for any reason, the aircraft will automatically return to the takeoff point and land safety.
Beginner Mode: Beginner flyers should build confidence by flying low and close. Beginner Mode prevents new pilots from going beyond their skills. An adjustable maximum height and distance can also be set when flying skills improve. The Phantom 4's Beginner Mode limits beginner flyers to 100ft (30m) up and away. It also prevents camera tilt controls to allow new pilots to familiarize themselves with flying before adding more distance and camera control. When Beginner Mode is switched off, the Phantom 4 will default to a maximum flight altitude of 390ft (120m) above the takeoff point. This can be adjusted to a maximum of 1640ft (500m). You can also set your own maximum distances.
Customizable Remote Controller: Designed with sensitive control sticks, dedicated buttons, and up to 3.1 mile (5km) range thanks to built-in DJI Lightbridge technology, the Phantom 4 remote controller makes shooting images with the Phantom 4 almost as easy holding a camera in your hands. It features dedicated controls for shutter release, start/stop video recording, a pause button to freeze your Phantom in the air during autonomous flight modes, a dial for gimbal pitch and a dial for camera settings. It also has two customizable buttons so you can tailor your flying experience. All the controls on the Phantom 4 can be completely customized to match your flying style, from control stick sensitivity to the functionality of dedicated buttons. The remote controller is powered by a built-in 6000 mAh LiPo rechargeable battery.
- Operating Frequency: 2.400GHz to 2.483GHz
- Max Transmission Distance: FCC Compliant: 3.1mi ( 5km ); CE Compliant: 2.2mi ( 3.5km )
Automatic Flight Logs: The Phantom 4 automatically logs the details of every flight you take so you can check back on previous flights. Information recorded includes complete flight routes, duration, distance, location, and speed so you can playback a previous flight path and even check your control stick movements. Cached versions of any photos and videos taken during your flights are kept at your fingertips for future reference. At the same time, an advanced flight recorder constantly records data from its internal mechanisms, which you can choose to share with the DJI support team if you ever have any questions or issues.
Status & Direction Indicators: Four bright, large LED lights on each arm of the Phantom 4 lights up as you fly. So at a glance, you know which direction the Phantom is facing and its current status.
Intelligent Flight Battery: The new 5350 mAh DJI Intelligent Flight Battery features upgraded battery cells and an advanced power management system to provide flight at up to around 28 minutes. Battery charger included.
- Type: LiPo 4S
- Capacity: 5350 mAh
- Voltage: 15.2V
- Energy: 81.3 Wh
- Max Charging Power: 100W
FAA Rules & Regulations: Please familiarize yourself with the FAA's rules & regulations for unmanned aircraft systems before flying your drone. Click here for more details.
High Performance Camera: Shoot sharp, clean aerial video in up to 4K at 30fps and Full HD 1080p at 120fps for slow motion, through a newly designed lens that dramatically increases sharpness. An aspherical lens with a 94° field of view (FOV) reduces distortion by 36% and chromatic aberration by 56% when compared to a Phantom 3. A hyperfocal length of one meter allows you to get closer to objects while keeping them in pin-sharp focus.
- Sensor: 1/2.3" (effective pixels = 12.4 M)
- Lens: 20mm (35mm format equivalent), f/2.8, FOV 94°
- ISO Range: 100-3200 (video), 100-1600 (photo)
- Shutter Speed: 8s-1/8000s
- Image Max Size: 4000 x 3000
3-Axis Gimbal: The Phantom 4's camera is equipped with the latest in camera stabilization systems. An advanced 3-axis gimbal takes out unwanted vibration and movement in-flight, enabling the camera to capture smooth and fluid footage even during complex maneuver. Featuring a specially designed u-frame structure that provides better stabilization. Its movements are controlled by a Gimbal Control Unit that is in constant communication with both the gimbal's Inertial Measurement Unit and the Phantom 4's flight controller so that it can prepare for the Phantom 4's movements before they happen. This gimbal is accurate to a highly precise ±0.03°, coupled with custom designed dampers, it ensures smooth cinematic footage.
- Stabilization: 3-axis (pitch, roll, yaw)
- Controllable Range: Pitch -90° to +30°
4K Video: The gimbal-mounted camera can record 4K, 2.7K, 1080p, and 720p videos. Videos can be recorded in MP4 & MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) formats with a maximum video bitrate of 60 Mbps. Choose between UHD, 2.7K, FHD, and HD video recording modes.
- UHD: 4096 x 2160 @ 24/25 fps or 3840 x 2160 24/25/30 fps
- 2.7K: 2704 x 1520 @ 24/25/30 fps
- FHD: 1920 x 1080 @ 24/25/30/48/50/60 fps
- HD: 1280 x 720 @ 24/25/30/48/50/60 fps
12MP Photos: The X3 camera shoots 12 megapixel JPEG files and even DNG RAW giving you the power to create professional photos. You can choose from a variety of photography modes, including - Single Shot, HDR, Burst (3/5/7 frames), Auto Exposure Bracketing (3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7EV Bias), and TimeLapse.
microSD Card Slot: All of your captured photos and recorded videos are stored on a microSD/SDHC memory card (Class 10 or UHS-1; up to 64GB). Up to 36 minutes of 4K Video can be recorded onto a 16GB microSD card, and up to 145 minutes of 4K video onto a 64GB microSD card. The photo and video files can then be downloaded directly to your computer via the camera's microUSB port. One 16GB microSD card is included.
Professional Post Production: A total of 10 color profiles are available to give you the look you need or the image data you want. These range from a Vivid Mode that amplifies color and contrast to create videos that look incredible without extra processing, to Cine-D and D-Log Modes offering high dynamic range footage for professionals, providing the best color space for post-production. The power to edit is also essential for professional photography, so the Phantom 4 boasts not just 12 megapixel photos but also Adobe DNG RAW support as well as lens profiles built straight into to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
DJI GO App: Download the DJI GO App onto your Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.1+ device to turn your mobile device into a user-friendly interface for controlling the Phantom 4s camera operation and flight settings. The Phantom 4 creates its own WiFi network that streams a real-time view from the camera to your USB-connected mobile device. Use your smartphone or tablet device to frame shots, watch the world below, and see everything from a new perspective.
- Live HD View: Use a real-time HD downlink to see exactly what the camera sees on your connected Apple iOS or Android device's touchscreen; ideal for framing a shot or simply to look around and admire your surroundings.
- Intelligent Flight Control: Auto take-off and land your aircraft with just a swipe of the finger on your
mobile device's touchscreen. Track
your aircraft's position and heading with a glance at the DJI GO's map on your
smartphone or tablet device. You
can also use this map to set a new home point and even activate Return to Home, making
flying easy and simple. Intelligent Flight Control modes include -
- Course Lock: By activating Course Lock, the controls will be set to be relative to your aircraft's current path. This easy navigation allows you to fly in a set direction as you fly alongside moving objects or across scenes.
- Home Lock: Fix your controls to be relative to the Home Point. Easily pull back on the control stick to bring the aircraft back home, or push forward to fly farther away, no matter which way it is facing.
- Point Of Interest: Set a specific building, object, or location as the Point of Interest and the aircraft will continuously circle around it while you record the perfect photos and video.
- Follow Me: With Follow Me, the aircraft will automatically follow you and capture your every move from a unique aerial perspective.
- Waypoints: Set multiple GPS points, or Waypoints, and the aircraft will automatically fly to them while you focus on controlling the camera.
- Camera Control: Full manual camera controls let you shoot as if you were holding a camera in your hands. Complete control of everything from shutter speed to aperture to ISO and much more give you the power to capture video and photos.
Flight Logs: A brand new Flight Record feature automatically synchronizes flight data, keeping it readily accessible for you to review at any time.
Edit & Share: Use music and video templates to create productions ready for sharing in minutes then share them with a tap. For even more customization, importing your own music and clips, add filters and tweak your sound mix. How your videos look is up to your imagination.
SkyPixel: Take part in the world's largest aerial imaging community at SkyPixel. Learn tips and tricks from power users, find people to fly with and give your productions a global audience.
DJI Academy: Be a better pilot with a built in flight simulator, video tutorials, tutorials and user manuals, giving you all the knowledge you need to fly.
SDK Supported: Through the DJI Mobile SDK, the Phantom 4 is open to software and hardware development. Using the Mobile SDK, you can create a customized mobile app to unlock the full potential of the DJI aerial platform. Supported platforms include Apple iOS 8+ and Android 4.2.2+.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?