About the DJI Tello EDU Edition
Learn to fly — and write code — the fun way
Included mission pads act as guide points and triggers for custom actions you program into the DJI Tello EDU.
Learn to fly — and write code — the fun way
The DJI Tello EDU lets you write your own custom code to control one of our most popular flying drones. The Tello drone is a best seller for a good reason: it's a cost-effective 'copter that lets you and your family get familiar with standard controls and equipment while you have the time of your life zipping around the sky.
This customizable version allows learners of all ages to use Scratch 3.0, Swift and Python coding to program their own flight paths, maneuvers and functions for one or more drones.
Tello's new SDK (software development kit) 2.0 lets a user control the aircraft with Python code block programming. Four double-sided mission pads are included, and can be used as guide points for a custom flight path, or triggers for specific actions you want the drone to execute. The Tello "reads" the unique pattern on each pad as it flies, and executes programmed commands.
Launch, fly, and land easily
The Tello quadcopter couldn't be easier to launch: when it's active, all you have to do is toss it in the air and it starts hovering. Install the free DJI Tello app on your smartphone, and you can slide your finger on the screen to learn the drone's basic flight characteristics, or cause it to perform fun flips and other advanced aerial maneuvers. Then, just tap the screen to bring the 'copter gently back down to earth.
DJI had safety in mind when they designed the Tello. Included propeller guards protect fingers and faces against accidents, and a built-in collision detection system helps keep the drone from crashing while you're learning the controls. There's also a low battery warning, precise vision positioning system, and a fail-safe that lands the drone safely even if your remote control loses connection.
- compact remote-controlled flying drone with HD video camera
- built-in camera takes 5-megapixel stills and shoots 720p video
- electronic image stabilization keeps your video and stills looking sharp
- EZ Shots lets you record short videos using Circle, 360, and Up and Away modes
- 13 minutes of flight time with included rechargeable battery
- customizable control via Scratch 3.0, Swift and Python coding
- use included mission pads as guide points and trigger mechanisms
- Drone Swarm: control multiple Tello EDU drones
- customize AI with SDK (software development kit) 2.0
- object recognition, tracking, 3D reconstruction, computer vision and more
- throw and go: toss Tello in the air to launch
- slide a finger on your mobile device screen to perform cool aerial stunts
- bounce mode: Tello flies up and down from your open palm
- obstacle-sensing technology helps avoid collisions
- low battery indicator
- lands safely and automatically if you lose remote control connection
- two antennas with smart switching for stable video transmission
- transmits clear 720p video from over 300 feet away
- warranty: 6 months
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- No charger included — charges via standard micro USB power adapter
- Note: The FAA offers the most up-to-date information on safety tips, rules, and regulations for responsible drone use. Many drones need to be registered, and state and/or local laws may restrict their use in some areas.
- MFR # CP.TL.00000026.02
What's in the box:
DJI Tello EDU Edition owner's manual
- Rechargeable battery
- 8 Propellers (4 pre-installed)
- 4 Propeller guards (pre-installed)
- Propeller removal tool
- 1' miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 4 Mission pads
- Quick Start Guide
DJI Tello EDU Edition reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the DJI Tello EDU Edition
Aerial Mini-Drone: The DJI Tello EDU is an aerial mini-drone that features a Vision Positioning System, an onboard camera, and simple control through the Tello EDU app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device. The Tello is safe to fly indoors and outdoors under windless conditions. The Tello EDU also is not waterproof and should not be flown in raining or snowy conditions.
Vision Positioning System: The Vision Positioning System helps the Tello EDU aerial mini-drone to maintain its current position. With the help of the Vision Positioning System, the Tello can hover in place more precisely and fly indoors or outdoors in windless conditions. The main components of the Vision Positioning System are a camera and a 3D infrared module located on the underside of the aircraft.
Note: The Vision Positioning System is activated automatically when the aircraft is turned on. No further action is required. The Vision Positioning System is only effective when the aircraft is at altitudes of 1'-32.8' (0.3-10 m) and works best at altitudes of 1' to 19.7' (0.3 to 6 m). If the aircraft is beyond this range, the Vision Positioning function may be affected, so extra caution is required.
Simple Control: The Tello EDU from DJI can be controlled using the virtual joysticks in the Tello app or using a compatible remote controller. It has a maximum controllable range of 328' (100m), but that range may vary according to your environment.
- Tello EDU App: You can control the Tello EDU mini-drone directly via the Tello EDU app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) on your compatible mobile device. Use the Tello EDU app for programming, games, and flight control.
- Optional Controllers: In addition to the Tello app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you can control the Tello from a supported Bluetooth remote controller connected to the Tello app on your mobile device. Compatible Bluetooth remote controllers include the GameSir T1d controller (964TELLREM, sold separately). The GameSir T1d controller still uses your mobile device as your flight screen.
Note: Tello EDU also supports the original Tello app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) for flight and camera control. However, these two apps cannot be used simultaneously. Before using the Tello app or Tello EDU app, you must close the other app in the background. Restart of the Tello EDU is requested when changing different Apps.
Educational & Custom Programming: The Tello EDU is user programmable and perfect for education applications. You can learn programming languages such as Scratch, Phyton, and Switch. The Tello EDU supports block programming, so you can simply drag coding blocks on the Tello EDU app screen to program the Tello EDU mini-drone and enable certain movements. With an upgraded SDK 2.0, Tello EDU comes with more advanced commands and increased data interfaces.
- Drone Swarm: You can program multiple Tello EDUs simutlaneously through the Tello EDU app on one mobile devices. Use code control a swarm of Tello EDUs, have them fly over Mission Pads, and perform flips and other acrobatic movments.
- Advanaced Programming: The included Mission Pads are a fantastic asset for increased programming precision. They serve not only aguidin points, but as trigger mechansisms. You can write code that will enable your aircrafct to recognize each Mission Pad's unique ID, as well as perform aerial acrobatics.
Flight Modes: In addition to manual flight control, the Tello from DJI has various Intelligent Flight Modes that can be used to make the aerial mini-drone perform maneuvers automatically. The Tello also has a flight mode that it falls back to in certain circumstances.
- Manual Mode: In manual mode, the Tello Apps virtual joysticks are used to control the aircrafts orientation (yaw), forward/ backward movement (pitch), altitude (throttle), and left/right movement (roll). The Tello has two flight speeds (Slow or Fast) that you can select when flying the aircraft manually. The Slow mode offers a maximum flight attitude angle of 9° and a maximum flight speed of 8.9 mph (14.4 kph). The Fast mode provides a maximum flight attitude angle of 25° and a maximum flight speed of 17.8 mps (28.8 kph).
- Intelligent Flight Modes: Intelligent Flight Modes include Bounce
mode, 8D Flips mode, and Throw & Go mode. To use an Intelligent Flight Mode,
ensure that the aircraft's battery level is at least 50%.
- Bounce Mode: In Bounce mode, the aircraft automatically flies
up and down between 1.6'-3.9' (0.5-1.2
m) above a flat surface. If the aircraft detects an object below it (such as your hand) it increases its altitude then continues flying up and down.
- 8D Flips: In 8D Flips mode, the aircraft automatically flips in one of eight different directions.
- Throw & Go: The Throw & Go mode lets you launch the aircraft by gently throwing it into the air.
- Bounce Mode: In Bounce mode, the aircraft automatically flies up and down between 1.6'-3.9' (0.5-1.2
- Attitude Mode: The aircraft automatically changes to Attitude mode (ATTI mode) when the Vision Positioning System is unavailable. In Attitude mode the aircraft is not able to position itself and so is easily affected by its surroundings. Environmental factors such as wind can result in horizontal shifting, which may present hazards, especially when flying in confined spaces. When the aircraft enters Attitude mode, land in a safe place as soon as possible to avoid hazards.
Note: Ensure that all flights are carried out indoors or in an open area with no wind. The flight altitude is limited to 32.8' (10 m) and flight distance is limited to 328' (100 m).
Auto Take-Off & Landing: There are two auto landing modes - Tap to Land and PalmLand. In Tap to Land mode, the aircraft lands automatically. To use the PalmLand mode, place your palm under the aircraft, then tap to confirm and the aircraft will land on your palm and stop its motors.
Note: Only land the aircraft on flat surfaces. Do not land the aircraft over water, grass or sand. When using PalmLand, ensure your palm is right under the aircraft and keep your palm flat.
Built-in Camera: The Tello EDU's built-in camera with high-quality image processor captures 2592x1936 (5MP)photos and 1280x720 (720p) videos. The Tello EDU's Electronic Image Stabilization feature enables it to consistently capture clear images. The photos and videos can be viewed in the Tello app and copied to a folder in your mobile device (you can export files from your compatible mobile device as needed).
Note: The Tello EDU does not offer an internal memory to store photos and videos. It also does not support external memory cards.
EZ Shots: With EZ Shots, you can fly in three specific patterns while recording short videos.
- 360 Mode: In 360 mode, the aircraft records a short video while rotating 360° (degrees).
- Circle Mode: In Circle mode, the aircraft records a short video while flying in a circle.
- Up & Away Mode: In Up & Away mode, the aircraft records a short video while flying upward and backward.
Propeller Guards: The included Propeller Guards can be used to reduce the risk of harm or damage to people or objects resulting from accidental collisions with Tello aircraft.
Rechargeable Battery: The Tello EDU is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-polymer (LiPo) battery which provides up to 13 minutes of flight time. You can charge the battery inside the Tello via the microUSB port on the aircraft using an external USB/AC power adapter (sold separately). You can charge multiple Tello batteries (964TELLOP1, sold separately) using the Tello Battery Charging Hub (964TELLHUB, sold separately) and a USB/AC power adapter (sold separately).
- Capacity: 1100 mAh
- Voltage: 3.8 V
- Energy: 4.18 Wh
Note: Maximum flight time was tested in windless conditions flying at a consistent 9mph (15kph).
Programming: The Tello EDU is programmable with Scratch, an MIT-developed coding system that allows you to learn the basics of programming. If you're a more advanced user, you can also develop software applications for the Tello using the Tello SDK.
Firmware Updates: You can update the Tello EDU's firmware via the Tello app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
FAA Rules & Regulations: Please familiarize yourself with the FAA's rules & regulations for unmanned aircraft systems before flying your drone. Click here for more details.
This drone has been great easy to fly even my children can fly
Shane from Grafton wv