About the ELAC Carina BS243.4
Andrew Jones' winning streak continues
Andrew Jones' winning streak continues
ELAC's JET tweeter reveals loads of high-frequency detail.
Whenever ELAC visits Crutchfield for training, we not only get to hear some terrific speakers, we also learn a lot about the science and art of speaker building from ELAC's world-renowned designer, Andrew Jones.
On a recent visit, ELAC introduced the Carina series, which borrows tweeter technology found in some of the company's most expensive models. Although designed for small to medium-sized rooms, a pair of compact Carina BS243.4s filled our large training room with spacious, lifelike sound.
ELAC's JET-powered tweeter
Instead of the concentric tweeter/midrange combo found in ELAC's Uni-Fi and Adante speakers, the Carina BS243.4 features ELAC's famous JET folded ribbon tweeter. The tweeter element is extremely thin and lightweight, and suspended in a magnetic field, so it's able to accelerate with incredible speed, to reproduce the subtlest music details.
A cutting-edge aluminum woofer that can keep up
To match the capabilities of the JET tweeter and create a seamless transition from woofer to tweeter, ELAC chose a 5-1/4" aluminum cone design. Its "compound curvature" shape helps control cone breakup and moves it beyond the woofer's operating frequency range. A large-diameter voice coil precisely controls the woofer's stop-start motion, and contributes to this speaker's exceptionally dynamic sound.
The BS243.4 has a bass-reflex enclosure with a port that fires downward from the bottom of the cabinet. This should minimize any port "chuffing" noise, allowing the speakers to be placed close to the wall behind them.
At the training session we heard a pair of stand-mounted BS243.4s driven by ELAC's Alchemy Series DDP-2 preamp/DAC/streamer and DPA-2 power amp. The Carinas produced a big, rock-solid soundstage, and amazing definition and extension from the bass guitar on Aaron Neville's rendition of the Bill Withers soul classic, "Ain't No Sunshine."
Build a complete Carina system
A pair of Carina BS243.4s will produce clear, robust stereo sound. If you're interested in a voice-matched surround sound system, check out these other ELAC models:
Center channel: Carina CC241.4
Surround speakers: Carina BS243.4
Floor-standing speaker: Carina FS247.4
- JET folded ribbon tweeter for lightning-fast response and wide dynamic range
- 5-1/4" aluminum cone mid/bass driver
- bass-reflex cabinet with bottom-firing port
- frequency response: 46-30,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-150 watts
- dual 5-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- removable magnetic grille
- 8-1/2"W x 12-9/16"H x 8-1/16"D
- weight: 14.7 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BS243.4-SB
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeaker
- 4 Jumper straps (pre-intalled)
- Operating Instructions
More details on the ELAC Carina BS243.4
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||JET ART|
|Tweeter Size (inches)|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||46-30k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
JET Folded Air-Motion-Transformer: The Carina Series bookshelf loudspeaker (Carina BS243.4) employs Elac's JET folded air-motion-transformer tweeter design for transparent and effortless high-frequency imaging. This JET folded ribbon tweeter delivers high-definition sound with a wider frequency and lots of headroom due to its lightning-fast response, wide dynamic range, and minimal distortion.
Compound Curvature Aluminum Woofer: The Elac Carina Series bookshelf loudspeaker (Carina BS243.4) houses a single 5.25" compound curvature aluminum cone woofer for smooth midbass and rich bass frequencies. To match the capabilities of the JET tweeter and guarantee a seamless transition from the woofer to the JET tweeter, the compound curvature aluminum cone has been developed to control the cone breakup and move it well beyond the operating range of the woofer. A large diameter voice coil and over-sized vented pole piece magnet combine to give remarkable bass dynamics and a rich powerful performance.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Elac Carina Series bookshelf loudspeaker (BS243.4) utilizes a bass reflex enclosure (ported) to enhance low-end bass response. For a more flexible speaker placement and to minimize ventilation noise, the bass reflex port on the Carina series is directed to the floor, exiting the bottom of the speaker cabinet in a down-firing configuration.
Note: The Elac Carina Series loudspeaker enclosure does not include a grille.
Dual Binding Posts: The Elac Carina Series bookshelf loudspeaker (Carina BS243.4) is outfitted with two sets of heavy-duty binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the bookshelf loudspeaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting Options: The Carina Series bookshelf loudspeaker (Carina BS243.4) can simply be placed on a flat surface; like a table-top, stand, or shelf. The base of the speaker features an integrated rubber pad to help isolate the speaker from the mounting surface and protect your mounting surface from scratches.
Note: The bookshelf speaker does not offer any bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall mount the loudspeaker.
Applications: The Elac Carina Series bookshelf loudspeaker (Carina BS243.4) can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe-in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image. In addition, the speaker's tweeter should be positioned at ear level in your main seated listening position.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers. In addition, try to elevate the speakers to the same height or slightly higher as the front speakers for the most enveloping soundfield.
Note: In either application, the speaker should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural.
Carina Series: The Elac Carina Series consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker, bookshelf loudspeaker, and center-channel loudspeaker (all sold separately). The Carina Series by Elac delivers effortless, transparent sound with a wide frequency range and wide dynamic range for a true high-resolution audio experience.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an Elac powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Carina series to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.