About the ELAC Discovery Connect
A convenient wireless hub for hi-fi lovers
A convenient wireless hub for hi-fi lovers
The ELAC Discovery Connect can play a few different roles in your stereo system, depending on your setup. It connects to your Ethernet or Wi-Fi® router to add network music sources, including Spotify® and AirPlay®, to your existing home audio system. Built-in Bluetooth® lets you get your compatible phone or tablet into the act.
Making your active speakers wireless
The Discovery Connect also doubles as a wireless transmitter for ELAC's high-performance Navis™ ARB-51 active speakers. "This connects to your Wi-Fi and broadcasts wirelessly to the speakers," explained ELAC's lead designer Andrew Jones when he demonstrated the Discovery at our Charlottesville HQ. "So it doesn't have to be anywhere near your speakers."
ELAC created their own wireless protocol known as AirX to help eliminate the need for wired connections between their powered speakers. "[Usually] when you're on Wi-Fi, the only way to synchronize the left and right speaker is to run a cable between them," Mr. Jones said. "We don't have to do that."
Another specific (but cool) way you can use this device: if you have an ELAC Discovery Music Server, the Discovery Connect lets you access that source on a stereo system in another room, for adding TIDAL streaming and Roon playback.
If you're using the Discovery Connect to add music to your existing sound system, there are plenty of outputs to help you accomplish your mission.
Output 1 features one Toslink optical digital audio output (24-bit/96kHz) and one coaxial digital audio output (24-bit/192kHz) for native digital output from the Discovery Music Server. Output 2 handles all your other streaming music sources (Spotify, AirPlay, and Bluetooth). It has the same array of digital outputs (fixed at 24-bit/96kHz) and adds an analog RCA pair.
- Wireless transmitter for ELAC Navis™ ARB-51 speakers
- adds Spotify®, Apple® AirPlay® and Bluetooth® to an existing stereo system
- embedded AirX2 transmitters wirelessly synchronize left and right Navis speakers
- supports streaming via Spotify® Connect, Apple® AirPlay, and Bluetooth®
- Output 1 (used for Discovery Music Server only):
- one Toslink optical digital audio output (24-bit/96kHz)
- one coaxial digital audio output (24-bit/192kHz)
- provides native digital output from the Discovery Music Server
- Output 2 (used for Discovery Music Server, Bluetooth, and network streaming sources):
- one Toslink optical digital audio output
- one coaxial digital audio output
- analog stereo RCA pair
- provides analog and digital outputs from the Discovery Music Server, Spotify® Connect, Apple® AirPlay, and Bluetooth®
- all content converted to 24-bit/96kHz (16-bit/44.1kHz when AirX wireless is in use)
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network (Ethernet cable included)
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 7-3/4"W x 1-7/16"H x 4-1/16"D
- weight: 1.17 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DS-C101W-G
What's in the box:
- Wireless audio streamer
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 4 AC plugs (US/EU/AU/UK)
- 39" Ethernet cable
- Operating Instructions
More details on the ELAC Discovery Connect
Discovery Connect: ELAC's Discovery Connect gives you the ability to wirelessly stream Spotify Connect, Bluetooth, and AirPlay audio content to ELAC's Navis B51 powered bookshelf speakers (sold separately) or an existing home audio system with an analog stereo RCA or optical/coaxial digital audio input.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The ELAC Discovery Connect provides wired (Ethernet) or Wireless (WiFi) network connection to access Spotify Connect and AirPlay.
Built-in Sources: The ELAC Discovery Connect provides access Spotify Connect, AirPlay, and Bluetooth Audio.
- Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the ELAC Discovery Connect from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Subscription & fees will apply.
- AirPlay: Apple AirPlay allows you to wirelessly stream your iTunes music library from your Mac computer, Windows PC or Apple iOS device to the ELAC Discovery Connect. You also be able to wirelessly stream music apps from your Apple iOS device to the Discovery Connect. Your Apple iOS device must be running 4.3.3 or better, and your iTunes music software must be running 10.2.2 or better.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Bluetooth A2DP connectivity means you can wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer to the ELAC Discovery Connect.
Optional Discovery Music Server w/ Roon & Tidal: When used with ELAC's Discovery Music Server (sold separately), the Discovery Connect acts as a Discovery endpoint and allows connectivity to your networked music collection on your Windows PC or Mac computer using Roon, and gives you access to Tidal (subscription and fees will apply).
AirX2 Transmitters: Embedded AirX2 transmitters allow you to eliminate speaker wires and cables when paired with ELAC's Navis B51 powered bookshelf loudspeakers (sold separately). AirX2 supports 16-bit/44.1kHz wireless audio transmission.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The ELAC Discovery Connect is equipped with analog & digital outputs to connect to your existing home audio system. The analog output consists of stereo RCA jacks. The digital outputs consists of two optical (toslink) jacks and two coaxial (RCA) jacks. One of the optical and one of the coax digital outputs are native outputs (labeled "1"), while the other optical and coaxial digital outputs are standard outputs (labeled "2").
- Native Digital Outputs: The optical and coax digital outputs labeled "1" provide a native digital output for the Discovery Music Server and Roon audio sources. These outputs do not support AirPlay, Bluetooth or Spotify Connect. The native "1" outputs offer no sample rate conversion for content up to 24-bit/96kHz (optical) or 24-bit/192kHz (coaxial) quality.
- Standard Digital Outputs: The optical and coax digital outputs labeled "2" supports the Discovery Music Server, Roon, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, and Bluetooth audio source. All audio content is sample rate converted to 24-bit/96kHz unless the AirX2 output is activated. In this case, content is sample rate converted to 16-bit/44kHz.
- Analog Stereo Outputs: The analog stereo RCA output supports the Discovery Music Server, Roon, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, and Bluetooth audio source. All audio content is sample rate converted to 24-bit/96kHz unless the AirX2 output is activated. In this case, content is sample rate converted to 16-bit/44kHz.
AC Power Adapter: The Discovery Connect includes an external AC power adapter which plugs into the back of the wireless audio streamer and into a AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately).