About the ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2
Clean power in a slim package
Clean power in a slim package
Most high-powered amplifiers I've used are big and heavy, and run hot. So I was pleasantly surprised by the DPA-2's slim, lightweight chassis and cool-running composure. ELAC's Alchemy Series is setting a new standard for value in high-end audio components, and the DPA-2 is "Exhibit A."
When ELAC visited Crutchfield recently, we got to hear the Alchemy DPA-2 driving a pair of the company's Carina BS243.4 bookshelf speakers. The speakers are excellent, and the DPA-2's authoritative power held our large training room in a firm grip. The amp was also responsible for much of the wide, deep soundstage and taut bass we heard.
The DPA-2's pure analog input stage preserves all the detail and nuance of the most delicate music passages, while the Class D output stage with switching power supply produces dynamics that will grab you. Power output is rated at 210 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 325 watts into 4 ohms. That's plenty of juice for even large, power-hungry floor-standing speakers.
A flexible solution for a variety of systems
For most audiophiles, the DPA-2's power output in stereo will be more than enough. But for those needing ultra-high-power amplification, the DPA-2 can deliver an impressive 625 watts in bridged mono mode!
The DPA-2 is a perfect match, both sonically and visually, for the companion ELAC Alchemy Series DDP-2 preamp/DAC. Some other stereo preamps may not supply a strong enough signal level to make full use of the DPA-2's prodigious power, but don't worry. For those cases, this amp includes a high/low gain switch for better system matching.
ELAC and Alchemy, making beautiful music together
The Alchemy Series' chief electronics designer is Peter Madnick, who has been creating innovative high-end audio components since founding Audio Alchemy in the late '80s. Known for its high-performance, high-value analog and digital gear, Audio Alchemy was acquired by ELAC in 2016.
- stereo mode: 210 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms, 325 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms for compatibility with even difficult-to-drive speakers
- mono mode: 625 watts into 8 ohms, 420 watts into 4 ohms
- fully balanced design from input to output
- analog, fully discrete FET input stage with DC servo-controlled output stage
- toroidal transformer and linear power supply for analog input stage
- high-efficiency, low-noise switching power supply for Class D output stage
- selectable high/low gain (+6dB) to match any preamplifier
- front-panel LCD with bar graph power output display (defeatable)
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spade lugs
- 12V trigger in/out for powering the amp on and off from another device
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-1/2"W x 2"H x 15"D
- weight: 14 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AS-DPA2-BK
More details on the ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||210|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||325|
|Bridged Power per Channel||625 watts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||4|