About the ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2
Clean power in a slim package
Clean power in a slim package
Most high-powered amplifiers I've used are big and heavy, and run hot. So I was pleasantly surprised by the DPA-2's slim, lightweight chassis and cool-running composure. ELAC's Alchemy Series is setting a new standard for value in high-end audio components, and the DPA-2 is "Exhibit A."
When ELAC visited Crutchfield recently, we got to hear the Alchemy DPA-2 driving a pair of the company's Carina BS243.4 bookshelf speakers. The speakers are excellent, and the DPA-2's authoritative power held our large training room in a firm grip. The amp was also responsible for much of the wide, deep soundstage and taut bass we heard.
The DPA-2's pure analog input stage preserves all the detail and nuance of the most delicate music passages, while the Class D output stage with switching power supply produces dynamics that will grab you. Power output is rated at 210 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and 325 watts into 4 ohms. That's plenty of juice for even large, power-hungry floor-standing speakers.
A flexible solution for a variety of systems
For most audiophiles, the DPA-2's power output in stereo will be more than enough. But for those needing ultra-high-power amplification, the DPA-2 can deliver an impressive 625 watts in bridged mono mode!
The DPA-2 is a perfect match, both sonically and visually, for the companion ELAC Alchemy Series DDP-2 preamp/DAC. Some other stereo preamps may not supply a strong enough signal level to make full use of the DPA-2's prodigious power, but don't worry. For those cases, this amp includes a high/low gain switch for better system matching.
ELAC and Alchemy, making beautiful music together
The Alchemy Series' chief electronics designer is Peter Madnick, who has been creating innovative high-end audio components since founding Audio Alchemy in the late '80s. Known for its high-performance, high-value analog and digital gear, Audio Alchemy was acquired by ELAC in 2016.
- 210 watts x per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.003% THD with 2 channels driven
- 325 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- bridged output: 625 watts into 8 ohms, 420 watts into 4 ohms
- fully balanced design from input to output
- analog, fully discrete FET input stage with DC servo-controlled output stage
- toroidal transformer and linear power supply for analog input stage
- high-efficiency, low-noise switching power supply for Class D output stage
- selectable high/low gain (+6dB) to match any preamplifier
- front-panel LCD with bar graph power output display (defeatable)
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spade lugs
- 12V trigger in/out for powering the amp on and off from another device
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-1/16"W x 2-1/8"H x 15-11/16"D
- weight: 14 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AS-DPA2-BK
What's in the box:
- Power amplifier
- 8' AC power cord
- 2 Rack-ears
- 8 Screws
- Operating Instructions
ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||210|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||325|
|Bridged Power per Channel||625 watts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||4|
|Input Type||RCA, XLR|
Alchemy Series: Designed ground-up by the ELAC team, the new Alchemy Series gives birth to a marriage of technologies, bringing further advances to a name known for delivering performance and build quality far exceeding its price. Every component incorporates relevant, well-thought-out features and topology that is important to critical listeners, like discrete implementation of power supply, preamplifier and signal processing to bring you best-in-class sound. With years of experience in award-winning analog and digital products, the Alchemy Series establishes a new standard for value in the world of high-end audio separates.
Power Amplifier: The Alchemy Series DPA-2 Power Amplifier from ELAC is about dynamic musicality, thanks to a design that combines Class A circuit topology composed of discrete FETs and a linear power supply using a toroidal transformer. The pure analog input stage preserves all the detail and nuance of the most delicate passages. The Class D output stage with switching power supply results in impressive output combined with cool-running efficiency. The DPA-2 can be utilized in a Stereo or Mono configuration.
- Stereo (8 or 4-ohm): 210 watts x 2 channels into 8-ohm / 325 watts x 2 channels into 4-ohm
- Mono (8 or 4-ohm): 625 watts x 1 channel into 8-ohm / 420 watts x 1 channel into 4-ohm
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The ELAC DPA-2 Power Amplifier is outfitted with both balanced stereo XLR and unbalanced stereo RCA inputs for the connection of your external preamplifier (such as the ELAC DDP-2). Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Notes: For operation as a mono amplifier you can connect to either the left or right inputs; they become connected together internally when the amplifier is switched to mono mode and will work the same regardless of which one you use. What is important then is to be sure you have the left amplifier connected to the left output of your preamplifier and the right amplifier connected to the right output of the preamplifier
Binding Post Speaker Output Terminals: The ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2 is equipped with heavy-duty, gold-plated, 5-way binding post speaker output terminals. These 5-way binding post terminals accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). The gold-plated terminals provide excellent audio signal transfer and resistance to corrosion.
Note: For operation as a mono amplifier, you'll utilize the left positive speaker terminal and right negative speaker terminal (see Operating Instruction for further details and illustration diagram).
Front-Panel Display: The front-panel display indicates volume level for each channel with meters, as well as protection warnings.
12V Trigger In/Out: The ELAC DPA-2 is outfitted with a 12V trigger input (3.5mm) and 12V trigger output (3.5mm) that can be used when you want to power on/off another connected device when the DDA-2 is powered on or off.
Protection Circuits: The ELAC Alchemy Series DPA-2 features built-in protection circuitry to protect the amplifier and your connected loudspeakers.
- Clipping Monitor: Should the output level of DPA-2 approach the 1% Total Harmonic Distortion range (threshold for the onset of clipping) a warning for the affected channel will show up in the display. This is a casual reminder to turn the level down a bit for continued safe operation.
- Over-Current: If either channel reaches the absolute maximum power output level, the DPA-2 will self-protect by shutting down. The display will show a "Protect Powering Off" warning.
Mounting Options: The ELAC DPA-2 Power Amplifier can simply be placed on a shelf or other flat tabletop surface thanks to its integrated rubber feet. It can also be rack-mounted using the included rack-ears and hardware. It will fit in a single 1U (1.75") rack space.