About the ELAC Carina FS247.4
Striking looks, breathtaking sound
Striking looks, breathtaking sound
When ELAC visited Crutchfield recently for training, they were traveling light and didn't bring a pair of the Carina FS247.4 floor-standing speakers to show us. But we got to hear the bookshelf model BS243.4, which stunned the roomful of listeners with its clear, punchy sound. ELAC's designer, Andrew Jones, has had a string of hits recently, and we're looking forward to hearing the FS247.4 floor-standers.
ELAC's JET-powered tweeter
Instead of the concentric tweeter/midrange combo found in several other ELAC speakers, the Carina series features ELAC's famous JET folded-ribbon tweeter, used in some of the company's most expensive speakers. The tweeter element is extremely thin and lightweight, and suspended in a magnetic field, so it's able to accelerate with incredible speed, to reproduce the subtlest music details.
Dual woofers and dual ports deliver serious low-end impact
The FS247.4 is considered a "2-1/2-way" speaker instead of the more traditional two-way because its 5-1/4" woofers don't cover the same frequency range. The upper 5-1/4" cone handles the upper midrange, and because it's physically closest to the tweeter, provides a seamless blend of mid and high frequencies. The lower 5-1/4" cone covers the lower midrange and bass frequencies — down to a remarkable 34 Hz!
These cones feature a "compound curvature" shape that helps control cone breakup and moves it beyond the woofer's operating frequency range. A large-diameter voice coil precisely controls each woofer's stop-start motion, contributing to this speaker's exceptionally dynamic sound.
Unusually, the FS247.4 has two bass-reflex ports: a rear-firing port and one that fires downward from the cabinet's slanted bottom.
Build a complete Carina system
- 2-1/2 way, 3-driver design
- JET folded ribbon tweeter for lightning-fast response and wide dynamic range
- two 5-1/4" aluminum-cone drivers: one mid/bass and one woofer
- bass-reflex cabinet with two ports, one rear-firing and one down-firing
- frequency response: 34-30,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- four outrigger stabilizer feet with spikes for carpeted floors and isolation pucks for hard floors
- no grille is included
- 9-5/16"W x 43-3/8"H x 9-7/8"D (with outrigger feet and carpet spikes installed)
- weight: 36.2 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FS247.4-SB
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 2 Stabilizer-bars
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Isolation pucks
- 4 Screws
- 2 Jumper straps (pre-installed)
- Operating Instructions
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
ELAC Carina FS247.4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC Carina FS247.4
Features & specs
|Tweeter||JET AMT (Ribbon)|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||---|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Frequency Response||34-30k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
JET Folded Air-Motion-Transformer: The Carina Series floorstanding loudspeaker (FS247.4) employs Elac's JET folded air-motion-transformer tweeter design for transparent and effortless high-frequency imaging. This JET folded ribbon tweeter delivers high-definition sound with a wider frequency and lots of headroom due to its lightning-fast response, wide dynamic range, and minimal distortion.
Compound Curvature Aluminum Woofer: The Elac Carina Series floorstanding loudspeaker (FS247.4) houses two 5.25" compound curvature aluminum cone woofers for smooth midbass and rich bass frequencies. To match the capabilities of the JET tweeter and guarantee a seamless transition from the woofer to the JET tweeter, the compound curvature aluminum cone has been developed to control the cone breakup and move it well beyond the operating range of the woofer. A large diameter voice coil and over-sized vented pole piece magnet combine to give remarkable bass dynamics and a rich powerful performance.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Elac Carina Series floorstanding loudspeaker (FS247.4) utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a rear and down-firing port. The bass ports have been designed to offer more flexible speaker placement and to minimize ventilation noise.
Note: The Elac Carina Series loudspeaker enclosure does not include a grille.
Dual Binding Posts: The Elac Carina Series floorstanding loudspeaker (FS247.4) is outfitted with two sets of heavy-duty binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Outrigger Feet: Outrigger feet used for the Elac Carina Series floorstanding loudspeaker (FS247.4) provides a larger, more stable footprint and adds stability and optimum coupling of the speaker cabinet to the floor. Spikes are included for carpeted flooring, while isolation pucks can be placed underneath the spikes to protect hardwood, laminate, tile, and vinyl flooring.
- Dimensions with Spikes: 9.3125" (w) x 43.375" (h) x 9.875" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike & Isolation Pucks: 9.3125" (w) x 43.625" (h) x 9.875" (d)
Note: The floorstanding loudspeaker should always be used with the outrigger feet and spikes (isolation pucks) installed for optimum sound quality and maximum stability.
Applications: The Elac Carina Series floorstanding loudspeaker (FS247.4) can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe-in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers.
Note: In either application, the speaker should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural.
Carina Series: The Elac Carina Series consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker, bookshelf loudspeaker, and center-channel loudspeaker (all sold separately). The Carina Series by Elac delivers effortless, transparent sound with a wide frequency range and wide dynamic range for a true high-resolution audio experience.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an Elac powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Carina series to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.
1 question already asked