About the ELAC Debut IC-DT61-W
Angled design brings the sound to you
ELAC knows that many in-ceiling speakers aren't ideal candidates for home theater use. That's because most fire straight downward, so the sound can seem disconnected from your TV screen. ELAC's Debut IC-DT61-W is that rare in-ceiling speaker that does a bang-up job reproducing your home theater's left, center, or right channel.
This speaker's 30°-angled drivers direct sound down and forward, toward your listening position. It makes the movie's soundtrack feel like it's coming from the action unfolding on the screen, instead of several feet above it.
The IC-DT61-W's drivers are angled at 30° to direct sound toward your seat.
Build a complete in-ceiling system
I recommend using the IC-DT61-W for each speaker location in your front soundstage. For in-ceiling special effects from the side or rear surround locations, I recommend using ELAC's matching IC-D61-W.
Adaptable to your décor
I love how ELAC combines high-quality performance with a sleek design. The IC-DT61-W includes a paintable, magnetic grille that you can match to your room's décor. The zero-bezel edge means no bulk around the sides of the grille, making it virtually disappear into your ceiling.
ELAC's rotating-cam design makes your in-ceiling installation straightforward. Once you have the IC-DT61-W in place, simply use a screwdriver to tighten each cam for a secure grip against the back of the ceiling.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
- drivers are angled at 30° to direct sound towards your listening position
- ideal for the front left, right, or center channel of an in-ceiling home theater system
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" aramid-fiber woofer
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- includes magnetic paintable grille
- speaker cutout diameter: 9-9/16"
- overall diameter: 10-7/16"
- mounting depth: 6-13/16"
- weight: 7.3 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # IC-DT61-W
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Cutout Template
- Operating Instructions
More details on the ELAC Debut IC-DT61-W
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Aramid-Fiber|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Elac Debut Custom Install Series: The ELAC Debut Series Custom Install series speakers are designed to accurately reproduce the full-range of music and film sound, while requiring absolutely no floor space. This compact format is ideal for applications where traditional loudspeakers would be impractical or impossible. In-wall & in-ceiling speakers are ideal for surround sound applications, anywhere space is a consideration, or to bring music into additional rooms of the house.
Angled Woofer & Tweeter: One of the main challenges during installation is to overcome the narrow directivity of the woofer and tweeter by trying to aim the in-ceiling speaker towards the listener. Some speakers simply provide a swiveling tweeter that can be rotated through a narrow range to ""aim" it at the listener. The typical range provided in practice produces almost no change in the sound balance, and does nothing to address the directivity of the woofer. The ELAC IC-DT61-W is designed so that both the woofer and tweeter are mounted at a 30° angle that allows the sound to be better directed toward the listening area.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W in-ceiling loudspeaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" tweeter, one 6.5" woofer, and a 3,000Hz crossover. Both the tweeter and woofer have been custom designed by Andrew Jones to deliver an exceptional audio experience that can't be delivered with typical off-the-shelf parts.
- Cloth Dome Tweeter w/ Wave Guide: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W features a 1" cloth dome tweeter with a custom-designed waveguide with a deep spheroid profile. This waveguide design is utilized to improve directivity control and shield the tweeter from baffle diffraction.
- Dual Woven-Aramid Fiber Woofer: The in-ceiling speaker features a single 6.5" woven aramid-fiber cone woofer with rubber surround, oversized magnet, and vented pole piece. Woven aramid fiber offers a superior stiffness-to-weight ratio and damping over common polypropylene or paper cones. The added strength allows more flexibility in design to achieve a smoother, extended frequency response.
- Custom Crossover: A custom seven-element crossover (3,000Hz) with audio-grade components is implemented to ensure smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer.
Magnetic Grille: The included magnetic grille fits easily onto the IC-DT61-W in-ceiling speaker after installation. The grille features an edge-to-edge, low-profile design for a more seamless, consistent look that blends with the ceiling more attractively.
Spring-Post Speaker Terminals: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W in-ceiling loudspeaker is outfitted with spring-post terminals to attach your in-ceiling speaker wire. The spring-post speaker terminals will accommodate up to 14AWG speaker wire. The terminals will also support single banana plugs. For shorter distances up to 25', 18AWG speaker wire will be sufficient. For longer distances, 16AWG speaker wire should be used.
Note: Do not use nails, staples or other metal objects to secure the speaker wire. The resulting short-circuit could affect your system's performance & could also damage components in your system, especially the amplifier. To minimize interference & external hum keep the speaker wires away from other electrical wires and cables.
In-ceiling Installation: The Elac Debut IC-DT61-W mounts in a 9.5" (diameter) round cutout opening in your ceiling with a mounting depth of 6.8125". Use the included template for proper cut-out of drywall. Your ceiling needs to be 0.25" to 0.75" thick. Allow at least 1.5" of clearance between the ceiling cut-out and any studs or joists. Four "dog-ear" clamps secure the speaker to the ceiling.
- Do not install the speaker near any heat sources such as radiators, heating valves, stoves or apparatus (including amplifiers), or in areas where there is a risk of explosion.
- Do not install the speaker near transformers. EMF fields can cause unwanted noise.
- Do not install the speaker in locations that are extremely humid, exceptionally hot, cold or prone to vibrations.
Speaker Placement: Once installed, in-ceiling speakers are not easily repositioned or moved. Please take a bit of extra time to carefully consider the best speaker locations before you begin. Each room is unique, so decide what works best for you.
- Speakers should be mounted at least 2' from the corners of the room or ceiling.
- Mounting a speaker too near the corner of the room will increase the low-frequency response, causing an unnatural "boominess" in the affected frequencies.
Applications: This speaker is perfect for most applications for home theater & music, providing extremely accurate reproduction of the entire frequency range.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked