About the ELAC IW-DC51-W
A dynamite Debut series in-wall speaker
A dynamite Debut series in-wall speaker
Ask around our office, and you'll hear high praise about ELAC's popular line of Debut series floor-standing and bookshelf speakers. Now ELAC offers that same great performance in a stealthy multi-purpose in-wall speaker. The IW-DC51-W is a fantastic choice for high-quality home theater sound without the footprint of a traditional box speaker.
Impressive zero-footprint performance
I love the 'DC51 because you can use it in a variety of configurations. Building a home theater? Install one horizontally under your wall-mounted TV for robust center channel performance. Then position one vertically on each side of your TV for the left and right channels. You'll be treated to seamless sound that pulls you into the action on the screen.
This speaker is equally as capable as the left- or right-channel speaker in an in-wall music system. Its dual-woofer design gives you solid bass response, even if you can't use a powered subwoofer in your room.
The IW-DC51-W features a protective cover that keeps dust and dirt off of your speaker.
Adaptable to your décor
The IW-DC51-W's sleek design includes a paintable, magnetic grille that you can match to your room's décor. The zero-bezel edge means no bulk around the sides of the grille, making it virtually disappear into your wall.
ELAC's rotating-cam design makes your in-wall installation straightforward. Once you have the IW-DC51-W in place, simply use a screwdriver to tighten each cam for a secure grip against the back of the wall.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire.
- multi-purpose in-wall speaker
- install it horizontally as a low-profile center channel in a home theater system
- install it vertically as the left or right channel of an in-wall music or home theater system
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- two 5-1/4" aramid-fiber woofers
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- includes magnetic paintable grille
- protective cover keeps dust and dirt off of the speaker
- speaker cutout dimensions: 16-7/16"W x 6-1/4"H
- overall dimensions: 17-3/4"W x 7-7/16"H
- mounting depth: 3-7/16"
- horizontal center channel placement requires at least 18" of clearance between two studs
- weight: 10.7 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # IW-DC51-W
What's in the box:
- In-wall center-channel speaker
- "ELAC" decal
- Cutout Template
- Operating Instructions
ELAC IW-DC51-W reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC IW-DC51-W
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Aramid-Fiber|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Elac Debut Custom Install Series: The ELAC Debut Series Custom Install series speakers are designed to accurately reproduce the full-range of music and film sound, while requiring absolutely no floor space. This compact format is ideal for applications where traditional loudspeakers would be impractical or impossible. In-wall & in-ceiling speakers are ideal for surround sound applications, anywhere space is a consideration, or to bring music into additional rooms of the house.
Center-Channel Application: The Elac Debut IW-DC51-W in-wall loudspeaker is perfect for the exceptional reproduction of the dialogu in a TV broadcast, music, and the complex requirements of the center channel in a home theater applications.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Elac Debut IW-DC51-W in-wall loudspeaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" tweeter, two 5.25" woofers, and a 2,200Hz crossover. Both the tweeter and woofer have been custom designed by Andrew Jones to deliver an exceptional audio experience that can't be delivered with typical off-the-shelf parts.
- Cloth Dome Tweeter w/ Wave Guide: The Elac Debut IW-DC51-W features a 1" cloth dome tweeter with a custom-designed waveguide with a deep spheroid profile. This waveguide design is utilized to improve directivity control and shield the tweeter from baffle diffraction.
- Dual Woven-Aramid Fiber Woofers: The in-wall speaker features two 5.25" woven aramid-fiber cone woofers with rubber surrounds, oversized magnets, and vented pole pieces. Woven aramid fiber offers a superior stiffness-to-weight ratio and damping over common polypropylene or paper cones. The added strength allows more flexibility in design to achieve a smoother, extended frequency response.
- Custom Crossover: A custom seven-element crossover (2,200Hz) with audio-grade components is implemented to ensure smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer.
Magnetic Grille: The included magnetic grille fits easily onto the IW-DC51-W in-wall speaker after installation. The grille features an edge-to-edge, low-profile design for a more seamless, consistent look that blends with the wall more attractively.
Spring-Post Speaker Terminals: The Elac Debut IW-DC51-W in-wall loudspeaker is outfitted with spring-post terminals to attach your in-wall speaker wire. The spring-post speaker terminals will accommodate up to 14AWG speaker wire. The terminals will also support single banana plugs. For shorter distances up to 25', 18AWG speaker wire will be sufficient. For longer distances, 16AWG speaker wire should be used.
Note: Do not use nails, staples or other metal objects to secure the speaker wire. The resulting short-circuit could affect your system's performance & could also damage components in your system, especially the amplifier. To minimize interference & external hum keep the speaker wires away from other electrical wires and cables.
In-Wall Installation: The Elac Debut IW-DC51-W mounts in a 16.5" (w) x 6.25" (h) rectangular cutout opening in your wall with a mounting depth of 3.375". Use the included template for proper cut-out of drywall. Your wall needs to be 0.25" to 0.75" thick. Allow at least 1.5" of clearance between the wall cut-out and any studs or joists. Eight "dog-ear" clamps secure the speaker to the wall.
- Do not install the speaker near any heat sources such as radiators, heating valves, stoves or apparatus (including amplifiers), or in areas where there is a risk of explosion.
- Do not install the speaker near transformers. EMF fields can cause unwanted noise.
- Do not install the speaker in locations that are extremely humid, exceptionally hot, cold or prone to vibrations.
Speaker Placement: Once installed, In-wall speakers are not easily repositioned or moved. Please take a bit of extra time to carefully consider the best speaker locations before you begin. Each room is unique, so decide what works best for you.
- The center channel speaker should be mounted close to ear level, above or below the video screen.
- Speakers should always be directed toward the primary listening position.
- Speakers should be mounted at least 2' from the corners of the room or ceiling.
- Mounting a speaker too near the corner of the room will increase the low-frequency response, causing an unnatural "boominess" in the affected frequencies.
8 questions already asked