About the ELAC Protek PR-71S
90+ years of ELAC excellence
90+ years of ELAC excellence
When you have outstanding audio and video equipment, you want to protect it from voltage fluctuations and power anomalies. And, when you're an audio company with a stellar reputation like ELAC, you make your own line of surge protectors to the same level of engineering excellence as the rest of your equipment. The ELAC Protek line offers AC line conditioning, voltage monitoring, and protection from voltage spikes and fluctuations.
Which ELAC Protek unit is right for me?
Eight filtered and surge-protected outlets make this PR-71S a great solution for medium-sized home theater systems. It has three high-current, always on outlets for your most power-hungry gear, like your receiver and subwoofer. Five switched outlets can handle your TV, Blu-ray player, game console, and more with ease. The outlets are divided into two separately controlled groups, giving you lots of flexibility.
Peace of mind paired with top-notch sound and picture
The ‘71S offers EMI/RFI filtration for clean power, resulting in superior audio and video quality for your media. It protects your sensitive equipment within a nanosecond from power surges and under-voltage situations. Two USB Type-A ports give you convenient charging for your portable devices. You can mount the PR-71S in your equipment rack or tuck it into the shelf of your entertainment center.
- total of eight filtered and surge-protected AC outlets
- three high-current/always on outlets: one front, two rear in Group 1
- five switched rear-panel outlets: Group 2 only
- power and reboot buttons
- reboot button power-cycles outlets in Group 1
- power button controls outlets in Group 2
- front-panel voltage display with adjustable brightness
- LED indicators show the status of the surge protector
- 2 front-panel USB Type-A charging ports
- 8-foot AC power cord
- EMI/RFI noise filtration for clean power
- over- and under-voltage protection
- overload protection
- 2160-joule protection
- response time: 1 nanosecond
- maximum current rating: 15 amps
- 16-15/16" W x 1-15/16" H x 8-15/16" D
- weight: 6.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- ELAC Connected Products Guarantee: covers up to $500,000 of equipment plugged into the surge protector on a connected properly-installed 120V AC power line
- MFR # PR-71S
What's in the box:
- Component surge protector with 8 AC outlets + 2 USB ports and attached 8' power cord
- Setup Guide
ELAC Protek PR-71S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the ELAC Protek PR-71S
Features & specs
|Total AC Outlets||8|
|Total Current Capacity||15|
|USB Connections||2 USB-A|
|Coaxial RF Jacks||No|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$500,000|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The ELAC Protek PR-71S is a component-style surge protector with 8 AC outlets (including one on the front panel) and two USB charging ports. The outlets are arranged into two groups -- one group for high-current devices, and the other group for lower current components. The front panel features a voltage display and a row of LED indicators. The unit has an attached 8' power cord with an angled plug that protrudes only 5/8" from the wall. The 3-prong plugs rotate 360° to allow you to angle the cord in any direction. The rack-mountable PR-71S is covered by a limited lifetime warranty and a $500,000 Connected Equipment Guarantee.
Surge Protection: The Protek Surge Protector keeps your electronic devices safe from devastating power surges caused by lightning or power outages. Its internal technology provides up to 2160 joules of surge protection with a 1 nanosecond (1 billionth of a second) response time. It has a maximum spike rating of 144,000 Amps or 6 KV (6000 volts). It has a fire-retardant ceramic casing and a high temperature resistance. It features L-N, L-G, N-G protection modes and Thermal Fusing. When the Surge Protector is operating properly and prevents an energy surge from damaging electrical equipment, the surge protective component will disconnect from the circuit, and the product will need to be replaced.
8 Outlets: The PR-71S has seven AC outlets on the rear panel and one on the front panel. All of the outlets are protected from surges, and over- and under-voltage, and filtered from EMI/RFI noise. The front panel outlet is always on, and can be used as a convenience outlet. The rear panel outlets are divided into two groups:
- Group 1: Two of the rear panel outlets are designated as "always on," and are optimized for "high current" components, such as audio amplifiers. Basic EMI/RFI filtration (up to 40dB) is applied. These outlets are not controlled by the front panel power button.
- Group 2: Five AC outlets are grouped together for lower current devices, such as Blu-ray, DVD, and CD players, DACs, and turntables. These outlets can be turned on and off via the front panel power button. They also provide a higher degree of EMI/RFI filtration than the Group 1 outlets -- up to 58dB between 150kHz and 100MHz.
USB Ports: The PR-71S features two front-panel USB Type A charging ports for plugging in your USB-powered devices. Not only will the ports charge your devices, but they protect your sensitive electronics from AC surges. The USB ports are rated at 5V and 2.4A total.
Over or Under Voltage: When an unsafe voltage condition is detected, the PR-71S will disconnect power to your connected devices from excessive voltage or a brownout. The over-voltage threshold is 135 volts, while the under-voltage limit is 95 volts.
Overload Breaker: A push button-style overload breaker is located on the rear panel of the unit. When the surge protector is overloaded, the circuit breaker will trip, cutting power to all of the outlets. Resetting the breaker (by pressing in the button) should restore power to the outlets. After the reset, you should confirm that the Protected/Clean Power LED is lit. If it is not, the surge protector should be replaced.
EMI/RFI Filtering: In addition to protecting your devices from power surges and lightning strikes, the PR-71S filters EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RFI (radio frequency interference). EMI and RFI can adversely affect the performance of your electronic devices, including your A/V equipment. The five rear panel AC outlets in Group 2 provide up to 58dB of EMI/RFI filtration, while the remaining outlets have up to 40dB of basic filtration.
Display: The front panel has a digital display that shows the voltage of the outlet that the surge protector is plugged into. The display consists of four 14-segment characters to display the input voltage in whole numbers, plus "V." Beside the display is a dimmer button that lets you cycle through the brightness settings of the display: 10%, 35%, 70% or 100%.
LED Indicators: The PR-71S has several LED indicators on the front panel that show the status of the surge protector:
- Protected/Clean Power: LED Blue: The outlets of the unit are protected. LED Red: protection is not working, and your connected devices are not protected.
- Ground OK: LED Blue: The wall outlet is properly grounded. LED Red: The wall outlet is not properly grounded, and you should consult a licensed electrician to remedy the problem.
- Reversed Polarity: LED Red: The wall outlet is installed with the polarity reversed. A licensed electrician should be consulted. LED Off: The wall outlet polarity is correct.
- Unsafe Voltage: LED Red: Unsafe voltage has been detected, and the surge protector will disconnect power to your connected devices. You should call a licensed electrician to remedy the problem. LED Off: Normal voltage is detected.
Note: White LEDs are present to indicate the presence of power to the Group 1 (G1), Group 2 (G2), and Front Panel outlets.
Rebooting: The Reboot button on the front panel surge protector allows you to power cycle the two "always on" Group 1 outlets, if needed. Pressing and holding (for 1.5 seconds) the button will turn off, then turn back on the Group 1 outlets.
Rack Mounting: The PR-71S is designed to be placed on a tabletop or shelf, or it can be mounted into a standard equipment rack. The component is 1-3/4" high and 17" wide, which takes up one rack unit space (1U). Four holes are drilled in the side panels for installing rack ears (sold separately). Four adhesive-backed rubber feet are installed on the bottom of the unit for shelf/tabletop placement. They can be removed, if needed, to fit the unit into a rack.
Connected Equipment Guarantee: The ELAC Protek PR-71S Surge Protector features a $500,000 Connected Equipment Guarantee. In the event that damage is caused to equipment while it is plugged into the covered Protek Surge Suppressor, and the damage is determined to have been caused by a defect in the suppressor's materials or workmanship. Terms and conditions apply.
- Surge Protection (Joule Rating): 2160 joules
- Max Spike Protection: 144,000A or 6KV
- Response Time: 1 nanosecond
- Voltage Protection:
- Over Voltage: Over 135 V AC
- Under Voltage: Under 95V AC
- Input Line Electrical Rating: 120V AC / 60Hz, 15A, 1800W
- EMI/RFI Noise Filtering:
- Group 1: Up to 40dB
- Group 2: Up to 58dB
- USB Ports (2): 5V - 2.4A (total output)
- Dimensions: Width 16.9375", Height 1.88", Depth 8.904", Power Cord 8'
- Weight: 6.1 pounds