About the ELAC SUB3070
An exquisite high-powered subwoofer
An exquisite high-powered subwoofer
The ELAC SUB3070 places two 12-inch side-firing woofers opposite one another in a rugged sealed enclosure. Its high-efficiency built-in BASH® amplifier delivers 1,200 watts of power. This impressive subwoofer provides robust bass reinforcement for music and movie listening, with versatile connection options that include balanced XLR inputs, RCA with LFE, and speaker-level binding posts.
Wireless app control
The SUB3070 has minimal external controls — just a volume knob on the back panel. A Bluetooth 4.0 low-energy Android™ or iOS® device is required for setup and operation. The free ELAC SUB Control 2.0 app handles these functions:
- volume level, crossover frequency, phase, and listening presets
- room equalization and auto EQ optimize the subwoofer's performance based on its placement in your room
- parametric EQ offers direct control over the subwoofer's equalization curve
- dual 12" side-firing aluminum woofers in sealed enclosure
- frequency response: 18-180 Hz
- high-efficiency built-in BASH® amplifier delivers 1,200 watts of power
- free ELAC Sub Control 2.0 app for Android™ or iOS® for setup and operation
- controls room equalization, auto EQ, parametric EQ, volume level, crossover frequency, phase, and listening presets
- no controls on subwoofer; requires iOS or Android device with Bluetooth 4.0
- continuously variable low-pass 40-150 Hz crossover
- rear-panel volume control
- includes spiked feet for use on carpeted floors
- thick MDF cabinet walls with vinyl finish
- cabinet walls are internally braced for reduced resonance and improved stability
- unbalanced stereo RCA input with LFE
- balanced stereo XLR input
- L/R binding posts for speaker-level connection
- Ethernet port for third-party remote control
- Type-A USB port for service updates
Dimensions and warranty:
- 20-7/16"W x 17-3/16"H x 18-3/4"D
- weight: 77 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years speaker, 1 year amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SUB3070-RV
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- AC power cord
- 2 Steel bottom plates
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Locking-knobs
- 4 Protective discs
- Operating Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC SUB3070
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-150 Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1200|
|Frequency Response||18-180 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Elac Sub Control 2.0 App: The Elac SUB3070 powered subwoofer does away with traditional analog controls. Instead, the powered sub incorporates Elac's advanced digital signal processing (DSP) that is controlled from the Elac Sub Control 2.0 app on your Apple (iOS 9.3+) or Android (OS 5.0+) device, wirelessly over Bluetooth 4.0. From the app on your compatible smartphone or tablet device, you can control the Auto EQ, Parametric EQ, Crossover, Phase, Delay, Volume, & Sound Presets. You will need to pair your compatible Apple iOS or Android device with the Elac powered sub before using the app.
- Auto EQ: The Elac SUB3070 powered sub and the Elac Sub Control 2.0 app are equipped with an easy-to-use and highly sophisticated Auto EQ function to automatically calibrate the EQ curve of the powered sub based on the room environment. Using the built-in microphone of your Apple iOS or Android device, the app calculates the room environment, room frequency response, and the sound reproduction of the sub. Auto room calibration is performed in two steps - first, your smartphone's microphone is placed directly in front of the powered sub for measurement; second, your smartphone is moved to your main listening position for measurement. The app will then calibrate the subwoofer based on these two measurement locations and provide visual parameters of the measured room, along with the automatically calculated EQ curve.
- Parametric EQ: You can also choose to set the powered subwoofer's EQ curve manually by adjusting the Sub Control 2.0 app's parametric EQ. The parametric equalizer gives you the ability to adjust the audio output (within the subwoofer's range) to your preference. The app will let you choose and adjust the center frequency, bandwidth, and gain.
- Low Pass Crossover: The app on your Apple iOS or Android device lets you setup the powered subwoofer's variable low-pass crossover from 40Hz to 150Hz to blend the bass output of the powered sub with the rest of the speakers in your system. If you are using a home theater AV receiver with an LFE output, you will need to set the crossover frequency to "Max" or 150Hz.
- Phase: The Phase setting (0° to 360°) of the app ensures the bass signal reproduces by the powered subwoofer blends seamlessly with the rest of your speakers. When the powered sub and the rest of your speaker system are playing in Phase, bass reproduction sounds uniform.
- Delay: The Delay parameter of the app enables you to delay playback of the subwoofer's audio signal in comparison with the rest of your speaker system and your main listening position. The delay can be set to 1 msec (13") to 20 msec (21.5'). If you are using an AV receiver with an LFE output and its own auto calibration function, then the receiver will set the delay time internally, so the SUB Control's Delay parameter should be set to "minimum" or 0.
- Volume Level: The volume control of the Elac Sub Control 2.0 app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device allows you to sets the subwoofer's output level relative to the output of the other speakers in your system for a well-balanced sound. You also mute and un-mute the volume of the powered sub from the app.
- Sound Presets: From the Sub Control 2.0 app on your smartphone or tablet, you can choose from 4 different sound preset modes to suit your application, need, or preference. Select Normal for most applications, select Music to add subtle emphasis to the low bass range, choose Cinema to slightly boost the bass frequencies around 50Hz, or choose Night to reduce the maximum dynamic range and volume for late night enjoyment.
Note: The only physical control found on the Elac SUB3070 is the rotary volume control that is located on the back of the powered sub. The Elac Sub Control 2.0 app and a compatible Bluetooth 4.0 LE enabled Apple (iOS 9.3+) or Android (OS 5.0+) device is required for setup, configuration, and full operation of the SUB370.
1200W BASH Tracking Amplifier: The Elac SUB3070 utilizes a BASH tracking amplifier rated at an incredible 1200 watts RMS (continous). The BASH technology implemented in the amplifier module of the ELAC subwoofer features power reserves with much lower levels of distortion. This is achieved by using an audiophile class A/B power amplifier whose supply voltage is regulated by a class D amplifier circuit to prevent any unnecessary power losses and to obtain the efficiency of a class D amplifier. Since the audio signal is amplified in the analog domain, the high-frequency interference typical of digital amplifiers is eliminated. This design results in a low-noise amplifier with lower electromagnetic interference emissions. The absence of crossover distortion, which is a problem in traditional class D designs where the switching speed of the transistors is limited, yields further improvement in total harmonic distortion.
Dual 12" Aluminum Sandwich Woofers: The Elac SUB3070 powered subwoofer houses two 12" aluminum sandwich cone woofers. The use of aluminum cone woofers offers advantages that go beyond structural stiffness and precision in manufacturing. Due to the composition of the aluminum speaker cones, typical cone resonances that affect the linearity of common paper cones can be placed well beyond the operating frequency range of their respective drivers. An extended size magnet with vented pole piece increases power handling and assures the accurate reproduction of bass frequencies that are clean, clear and powerful.
Sealed MDF Cabinet: The Elac SUB3070 utilizes an acoustic suspension (sealed) design enclosure for deep, tight, and accurate bass. The sealed cabinet is made of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) with an internal horizontal brace to strengthen and stiffen the cabinet, helping minimize unwanted vibrations that can discolor music or movie content. The MDF outer walls of the cabinet are covered with either a gloss black, gloss white, or rosewood veneer finish.
Note: No grilles are included.
Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs: The Elac SUB3070 is outfitted with balanced XLR, unbalanced RCA, and Speaker level inputs to connect the powered subwoofer to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier.
- Balanced XLR: The SUB3070 features a balanced stereo XLR connection; the Right XLR connector can be used as a dedicated LFE input. Balanced XLR connectivity is the same efficient audio interface used by studios to provide the highest level of signal integrity with the lowest noise floor. The Balanced XLR inputs allow long cable runs without noise pickup or signal loss; all you get is great sound without the possibility of noise pickup or interference.
- Unbalanced RCA: The ELAC SUB3070 also features an unbalanced stereo RCA connection; the Right RCA jack can be used as a dedicated LFE input.
- Speaker Level: If your AV receiver or integrated amplifier is not equipped with XLR or RCA subwoofer/LFE outputs, then the SUB3070's binding-post speaker level inputs allow connection from your receiver or amplifier's main speaker outputs.
Built-in Wireless Receiver: The Elac SUB3070 features a built-in wireless receiver and will offer a wireless option to connect the powered subwoofer wirelessly to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier with the use of Elac's wireless transmitter (sold separately - coming soon).
Auto Power On/Off: The SUB3070 powered subwoofer will detect when an audio signal is being sent to the amplifier and will power on. Also, to conserve energy, the powered subwoofer will power off after 15 minutes of no audio signal and inactivity. On back of the powered subwoofer is a LED that will illuminate blue to indicate that the powered sub is turned on; there will be no illumination when the subwoofer is turned off or in standby mode.
Steel Base with Floor Spikes: The Elac SUB3070 comes with two steel bottom plates, as well as spike feet that must be installed prior to use. The steel base and included floor spikes ensure optimum performance and stability. The floor spikes are adjustable and perfect for carpeted flooring. If you are installing the powered sub onto hardwood, tile or other non-carpet surfaces then use the supplied protective discs under the spike feet to prevent any damage to your floor.
Placement: Proper subwoofer placement can take some trial and error. In many cases, the best position for the powered sub is in the front corner of the room. If placing the subwoofer in the corner creates an abnormal amount of bass, you can try moving the subwoofer to one of the side walls near the front of the room.
Data Connections: The Elac SUB3070 features to data connections - an Ethernet (RJ45) jack and a USB (Type-A) port. The USB (Type-A) port is used for service and firmware updates. The Ethernet port allows operation from 3rd party controllers (future firmware update; no ETA).