About the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52
One of our favorite tower speakers gets a makeover
One of our favorite tower speakers gets a makeover
ELAC's first-generation Uni-Fi tower speaker was well-loved by our customers, especially for the value it offered for the price. ELAC's newly updated Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 floor-standing speaker promises an even better taste of the high-end audio experience at a reasonable price, thanks to the ingenuity of ELAC's chief designer, Mr. Andrew Jones.
A concentric midrange/tweeter array provides clarity
ELAC has kept much of what made the original Uni-Fi Series so cool, including a concentric driver array that places the tweeter in the middle of the midrange driver. This precise alignment creates a "unified source," ensuring that all frequencies arrive at your ears at the same instant, producing more coherent and accurate sound.
What's new with version 2.0?
The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series features all-new drivers. The UF52's 1" soft-dome tweeter produces better high- and low-frequency extension than the previous series, for improved blending with the newly designed 4" aluminum midrange.
Three 5-1/4" woofers bring the bass
Like its predecessor, the UF52 uses a robust array of three 5-1/4" aluminum woofers to deliver tight, hard-hitting bass. Each of these new bass drivers uses a cone that's made from a single piece of aluminum, for better stiffness. The cones, oversized magnets, and large-diameter voice coils allow improved bass accuracy and dynamics.
New crossovers help lighten the load on your amp
The updated drivers, along with a newly redesigned crossover, make the Uni-Fi 2.0 Series easier for your amplifier to drive than their predecessors. They have a nominal impedance rating of 6 ohms instead of 4 ohms, which means they should work better with a wider range of receivers and amps.
- true 3-way speaker design
- custom-designed 1" soft dome tweeter concentrically mounted in a 4" aluminum cone midrange
- three newly designed 5-1/4" woofers with dished aluminum cones
- frequency response: 42-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- maximum power input: 140 watts
- sophisticated crossover ensures linear response and smooth transition between drivers
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design
- thick MDF enclosure with internal bracing reduces cabinet vibration that causes unwanted sonic coloration
- custom-designed binding post speaker terminals
- included stabilizer bars and adjustable feet reduce resonance and vibration
- removable cloth grille
- black brushed vinyl finish
- 7-5/16"W x 38-5/8"H x 10-7/8"D
- weight: 43.34 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # UF52-BK
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Stabilizer-bars with spike feet
- 4 Protective discs
- 4 Knobs
- 8 Machine screws
- Operating Instructions
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Frequency Response||42-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Driver Design: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 floor-standing loudspeaker employs a 3-way design with a new in-house developed concentric driver. A 3-way speaker offers many advantages and allows for a more straighforward approach to driver, crossover, and cabient design. By assigning dedicated drivers to high, midrange, and bass frequencies, each is optimized for the frequency range for which its design and material composition is best suited. The UF52 floor-standing speaker consists of a concentric midrange-tweeter driver for high and midrange frequencies, plus three aluminum-cone woofers that handle lower-frequency midbass and bass.
Newly-Developed Concentric Driver: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 floor-standing loudspeaker employs a concentric driver design, combining a 1" soft-dome tweeter and 4" midrange cone diaphragm within a single voice coil. Because of its ideal time-domain characteristics, a concentric driver design delivers the most coherent and accurate reproduction across the treble and midrange frequency spectrums. Positioning the tweeter concentrically within the midrange voice coil achieves a uniform directivity pattern, for flat frequency response and formidable power handling, along with enhanced imaging for both on- and off-axis listening positions.
- Wide-Surround Tweeter: The new wide-surround, soft-dome tweeter enhances it's low and high frequency extension allowing for improved blending with the midrange driver.
- Aluminum Midrange: An entirely new midrange design features a larger diameter voice coil, new aluminum cone profile, new low-profile surround, and an all-new neodymium magnet assembly for improved performance.
Triple Aluminum Woofers: In addition to the concentric midrange-tweeter driver, the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 features three 5.25" single-piece aluminum cone woofers. This newly developed single-piece aluminum dished cone results in improved stiffness. Combined with an oversized magnet, large diameter voice coil, and extended pole piece, the result is improved accuracy and bass dynamics. Through the use of aluminum, resonances that affect the linearity of common paper cones can be placed beyond the driver's operating frequency range.
Sophisticated Crossover: The UF52 floor-standing speaker employs a sophisticated 3-way crossover design that provides a smooth transition between the high, mid, and bass drivers. This enhanced crossover design improves response linearity, improves driver integration and delivers a true 6-ohm nominal impedance for compatibility with most receivers and amplifiers.
Bass Ports: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with three rear-firing flared ports (one for each woofer) to deliver greater efficiency and bigger bass response.
Rigid MDF Cabinet: The Uni-Fi 2.0 speaker enclosure is engineered with thick MDF outer walls and a textured wood-grain vinyl finish. The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series cabinet incorporates specially designed internal bracing to add stiffness and strength to the cabinet's outer walls. This bracing greatly reduces cabinet vibration, which causes unwanted coloration to the sound.
Cloth Grille: The UF52 floor-standing loudspeaker comes with an accostically transparent cloth grille that is detachable.
Binding Posts: The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Series floor-standing loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of heavy-duty, binding-post terminals which will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Outrigger Feet: Outrigger feet used for the UF52 provide a larger, more stable footprint and add stability and optimum coupling of the speaker cabinet to the floor. The included turn knobs let you dial in precise leveling of the four corners, which are supplied with spikes and protective discs, used according to whether the loudspeaker is placed on a soft or hard floor surface. The protective discs add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: The UF52 floorstanding speaker should always be used with the outrigger feet installed for optimum sound and maximum stability.
Applications: The Elac UF52 floorstanding loudspeaker can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers.
Note: In either application, the speaker should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural.
Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Series: The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series from Elac consists of a floorstanding loudspeaker, a bookshelf loudspeaker, and a center-channel loudspeaker (all sold separately). All of the speakers in the Uni-Fi 2.0 Series utilize concentric driver technology for optimum high and midrange frequency reproduction. The Uni-Fi 2.0 Series can be used to create a simple 2ch stereo music setup or a more complex multi-channel home theater surround sound system.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an ELAC powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Uni-Fi series to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.
The ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UF52 replaces these items
- 3-way design with custom 1" soft dome tweeter concentrically mounted in a 4" aluminum cone midrange and three 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofers
- sophisticated multi-element crossover with high-grade components to ensure smooth transition between drivers
- frequency response: 42-25,000 Hz