- handmade JET 5 folded ribbon tweeter for lightning-fast response and wide dynamic range
- 6" aluminum/paper sandwich cone woofer
- frequency response: 41-50,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- impedance: 4-8 ohms compatible
- recommended amplifier power: up to 100 watts RMS
- wood veneer exterior with high-gloss lacquer finish
- bass-reflex cabinet with down-firing port at the speaker's sturdy aluminum bass plate
- angled cabinet for improved high-frequency performance and stereo imaging
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- made in Germany
- no grille is included
- 7-1/2"W x 14-3/16"H x 9-3/8"D
- weight: 15.7 lbs. each
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VBS403-GW
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 4 Jumper straps (pre-installed)
- Operating And Safety Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC VELA BS 403
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||JET 5|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||---|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6|
|Frequency Response||41-50k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
JET 5 Tweeter with Wave Guide: The Elac Vela BS 403 bookshelf loudspeaker features a JET 5 folded-ribbon tweeter with an integrated waveguide for exceptional high frequency reproduction for those who want to hear the most out of their high-resolution movie and music soundtracks. The JET 5 folded-ribbon tweeter is known for its lightning-fast response, wide dynamic range, minimal distortion, lots of headroom, and its wide frequency range. The JET 5 tweeter creates an effortless, airy and resonance-free high-frequency image up to 50,000 Hz; and with its linear frequency response is ideally suited for the reproduction of hi-res formats.
Aluminum-Sandwich (AS) Woofer with Crystal Membrane: The Elac Vela Series bookshelf loudspeaker (VBS 403) houses a 6" Aluminum-Sandwich (AS) cone woofer with Crystal Membrane technology and rubber surround. A crystal-shaped inverse aluminum dome is joined to the paper cone in a special gluing process to result in the desired sandwich construction. Resembling the surface of a large crystal, the aluminum-foil stamping stiffens the aluminum dome, diminishing resonances and minimizing coloration, while improving power handling and dynamics. The combination of aluminum and paper creates a woofer cone that is stiff, precise, linear, and lightweight. The result is mid and bass frequencies that are clean, clear, and powerful.
Bass Reflex Angle Cabinet: The Elac Vela BS 403 features a bass reflex cabinet with a down-firing port for greater efficiency, bigger bass, and flexible placement. The down-firing bass reflex port is integrated into the speaker cabinet's sturdy aluminum bottom plate. The speaker cabinet has a trapezoid shape and is angled rearward with a convex shaped baffle. The angling of the cabinet and unique design of the baffle improves the speaker's acoustics and soundstage.
Note: These Vela Series does not come with grilles.
Dual Binding Posts: The Elac Vela Series bookshelf loudspeaker (VBS 403) is outfitted with two sets of heavy-duty binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the bookshelf loudspeaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting Options: The Vela BS 403 bookshelf loudspeakers can simply be placed on a flat surface; like a table-top, stand, or shelf. The base of the speaker features an integrated rubber pad to help isolate the speaker from the mounting surface and protect your mounting surface from scratches.
Note: The bookshelf speaker does not offer any bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall mount the loudspeaker.
Applications: The Elac Vela Series bookshelf loudspeaker (VBS 403) can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe-in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image. In addition, the speaker's tweeter should be positioned at ear level in your main seated listening position.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers. In addition, try to elevate the speakers to the same height or slightly higher as the front speakers for the most enveloping soundfield.
Note: In either application, the speaker should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural.
Vela Series: The Vela Series from Elac is built to the highest standards in Germany using high-quality components that are carefully constructed to deliver the best-in-class sound quality. The Vela Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (VFS 407 / VFS 409), a bookshelf loudspeaker (VBS 403), and a center-channel speaker (VCC 401). The Velas Series delivers high quality sound with a sophisticated look for today's modern lifestyle.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an Elac powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Vela series to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.