About the ELAC VELA FS 409
The VELA Series flagship
The VELA Series flagship
I've had a soft spot in my heart for ELAC ever since we started carrying their speakers. The VELA FS 409 is a great example of why. This elite floor-stander leaves virtually nothing to be desired — it sounds incredible, looks terrific, and is equally skilled at bringing your music to life as it is keeping you on the edge of your seat during a movie.
The FS 409's JET 5 folded ribbon tweeter is hand-assembled in Germany to ensure top-notch performance.
A unique tweeter yields superb sound
The VELA FS 409 uses ELAC's renowned JET 5 folded ribbon tweeter, which is hand-assembled in Germany to ensure the best possible quality.
This unique design works like the bellows in an accordion, squeezing air quickly and precisely to produce sound. Highs are incredibly smooth and detailed, while offering a realistic three-dimensional feeling of sound in space.
Exceptional midrange and bass
The FS 409 delivers ultra-smooth sound throughout its wide frequency range, thanks in part to a dedicated 6" midrange and dual 7" woofers.
Each of these aluminum and paper "sandwich" drivers features a die-cast basket and a unique, crystal-shaped cone design for rich, dynamic sound that can fill even large rooms.
Ideal for music and for movies
Use a pair of FS 409s with confidence as part of an audiophile-grade stereo system, or as the front channels of an ELAC VELA Series surround sound system.
Whether you're enjoying your favorite album or the latest superhero movie, you'll appreciate the crystal-clear, vividly realistic sound these speakers produce.
Upscale fit and finish
The FS 409 uses a sturdy, reinforced enclosure to reduce vibration and eliminate unwanted resonance. Its beautiful, grille-less design features a wood veneer exterior and a high-gloss lacquer finish.
You'll want a powerhouse amp to drive them
The FS 409s have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. I recommend using high-performance amplification to get the best sound of out your pair.
In particular, I recommend matching them with ELAC's Alchemy Series DPA-2 amplifier. This high-end, space-saving amp offers plenty of power for the FS 409s to reach their full potential.
For the ultimate ELAC system, pair this amp with the Alchemy Series DDP-2
Stereo preamplifier/DAC/streamer. I auditioned the VELA BS 403s on this equipment combo, and man, what a treat it was to hear.
- 3-1/2 way, 4-driver design
- handmade JET 5 folded ribbon tweeter for lightning-fast response and wide dynamic range
- dual 7" aluminum/paper sandwich cone bass drivers
- 6" aluminum/paper sandwich cone midrange
- frequency response: 28-50,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- nominal impedance: 4 ohms
- high-performance amplification recommended to get the best sound
- recommended amplifier power: up to 200 watts RMS
- wood veneer exterior with high-gloss lacquer finish
- bass-reflex cabinet with down-firing port at the speaker's sturdy aluminum bass plate
- angled cabinet for improved high-frequency performance and musical imaging
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- made in Germany
- no grille is included
- 10-15/16"W x 52-3/8"H x 13-9/16"D
- weight: 70.8 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VFS409-GN
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Base plate
- 2 Jumper straps (pre-installed)
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Pucks
- 4 Rubber pads
- 4 Machine screws
- 4 Washers
- Operating And Safety Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the ELAC VELA FS 409
Features & specs
|Tweeter||JET 5 (Ribbon)|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||---|
|Midrange Size (inches)||6|
|Woofer Size (inches)||7|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Frequency Response||28-50k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
JET 5 Tweeter with Wave Guide: The Elac Vela FS 409 floorstanding loudspeaker features a JET 5 folded-ribbon tweeter with an integrated waveguide for exceptional high frequency reproduction for those who want to hear the most out of their high-resolution movie and music soundtracks. The JET 5 folded-ribbon tweeter is known for its lightning-fast response, wide dynamic range, minimal distortion, lots of headroom, and its wide frequency range. The JET 5 tweeter creates an effortless, airy and resonance-free high-frequency image up to 50,000 Hz; and with its linear frequency response is ideally suited for the reproduction of hi-res formats.
Aluminum-Sandwich (AS) Woofers & Midrange Driver with Crystal Membrane: The Elac Vela Series floorstanding loudspeaker (VFS 409) houses two 7" Aluminum-Sandwich (AS) cone woofers and one 6" AS-cone midrange driver, all with Crystal Membrane technology and rubber surrounds. A crystal-shaped inverse aluminum dome is joined to the paper cone in a special gluing process to result in the desired sandwich construction. Resembling the surface of a large crystal, the aluminum-foil stamping stiffens the aluminum dome, diminishing resonances and minimizing coloration, while improving power handling and dynamics. The combination of aluminum and paper creates a woofer cone that is stiff, precise, linear, and lightweight. The result is midrange, midbass, and bass frequencies that are clean, clear, and powerful.
Bass Reflex Angle Cabinet: The Elac Vela FS 409 features a bass reflex cabinet with a down firing port for greater efficiency, bigger bass, and flexible placement. The down-firing bass reflex port is integrated into the speaker cabinet's sturdy aluminum bottom plate. The speaker cabinet has a trapezoid shape and is angled rearward with a convex shaped baffle. The angling of the cabinet and unique design of the baffle improves the speaker's acoustics and soundstage.
Note: These Vela Series does not come with grilles.
Dual Binding Posts: The Elac Vela Series floorstanding loudspeaker (VFS 409) is outfitted with two sets of heavy-duty binding posts allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Rubber or Spike Feet: The Elac Vela FS 409 comes with a heavy aluminum plinth (base) that screws into the bottom of the speaker cabinet. The included spike feet screw into the bottom of the aluminum plinth and are designed for carpeted flooring. The supplied isolation pucks can be placed under the spike feet to protect hardwood, tile, vinyl, and laminate flooring.
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 10.9375" (w) x 52.375" (h) x 13.5625" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet & Isolation Pucks: 10.9375" (w) x 52.5625" (h) x 13.5625" (d)
Note: The floorstanding loudspeaker should always be used with the plinth (base), spike feet, and isolation pucks installed for optimum sound quality and maximum stability.
Applications: The Elac Vela Series floorstanding loudspeaker (VFS 409) can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe-in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1-channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers.
Note: In either application, the speaker should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural.
Vela Series: The Vela Series from Elac is built to the highest standards in Germany using high-quality components that are carefully constructed to deliver the best-in-class sound quality. The Vela Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (VFS 407 / VFS 409), a bookshelf loudspeaker (VBS 403), and a center-channel speaker (VCC 401). The Velas Series delivers high quality sound with a sophisticated look for today's modern lifestyle.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add an Elac powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Vela series to bring more bass to your movie and music soundtracks.