About the Marshall Stanmore Multi-room
Rock the whole house
The Stanmore has RCA inputs for connection to a turntable with a built-in preamp (available separately).
Rock the whole house
When I took the Stanmore Multi-room powered wireless speaker out of its box, I thought, “this looks just like a small Marshall amp.” It had the same brushed-brass control panel, metal knobs, and classic Marshall logo on the grille. And when I fired it up, well. With 80 watts of power, the Stanmore had the impact of one, too. But that wasn't even the most exciting feature. The Stanmore Multi-room has Chromecast built-in, so I could make it part of a rockin' Marshall whole-house audio system. I could also stream wirelessly via Bluetooth or AirPlay. And it all started with two quick downloads.
The quick-start manual told me to download both the Marshall Multi-room control app and the Google Home app. Both apps are free, and available from the Apple® App Store and Google Play.
The Marshall Multi-room app lets you wirelessly customize the settings of your Stanmore and other compatible Marshall speakers. It also lets you set each speaker for either independent or multi-room audio play. It's the app you use to fine-tune the settings on the Stanmore Multi-room.
The Google Home app controls the Stanmore Multi-room and any other Chromecast built-in speakers on your Wi-Fi® network, including those from other brands. Set up playlists and access streaming services such as Spotify® Premium, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio.
Plus, the app lets you control compatible smart home devices like Wi-Fi thermostats and power outlets. You can browse trending and popular content from your Chromecast-enabled apps, search for content across platforms, and more.
If you want to go hands-free and app-free, add a Google Home voice controller. That way, you can control your Stanmore Multi-room by simply saying, "OK Google, play classic rock in the living room."
High-quality Bluetooth audio
The system has built-in Bluetooth with high-performance aptX® audio coding, which lets you stream near-CD quality sound from compatible portable devices. And it works with regular Bluetooth, too, for use with older smartphones and tablets.
Stream music wirelessly from your computer's iTunes library to the Stanmore Multi-room via Apple AirPlay. This Apple-proprietary streaming feature is also a handy way to play the sound from apps on your iPhone® or iPad®.
Wired connections for music sources
The speaker has an analog stereo minijack input for your portable audio devices. An analog stereo RCA input lets you connect audio components, such as a turntable with built-in phono preamp.
Quality sound and build
Inside the Stanmore Multi-room's sturdy enclosure are two 3/4" dome tweeters and a brawny 5-1/4" woofer. Each speaker is powered by its own Class D amplifier, ensuring clarity and rich details in your music. The ported cabinet reinforces low frequencies to give you strong bass.
- Bluetooth 4.2 with aptX audio coding for high-fidelity streaming from compatible devices
- dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz)
- Apple AirPlay for Apple portable devices and computers
- Spotify Connect built-in (Spotify subscription required)
- metal analog volume, bass, and treble control knobs
- two 3/4" dome tweeters, and one 5-1/4" woofer, each with a Class D amplifier
- bass-reflex cabinet
- total system power 80 watts (15 watts x 2 plus 50 watts for woofer)
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
- Marshall Multi-room app:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- set up and customize your Marshall speakers
- control multi-room playback with two or more Marshall multi-room speakers
- adjust LED intensity
- Google Home App:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- control multi-room playback with two or more Chromecast built-in wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio
- control other Chromecast-compatible devices, such as smart home thermostats and switches
- works with the Google Home voice controller (available separately)
- 7 user-definable presets give you quick access to playlists, internet radio stations, and podcasts
- RCA stereo input
- stereo minijack input
- AC power required (power cable included)
- 13-3/4"W x 7-1/4"H x 7-1/4"D
- weight: 10.36 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 04091904
What's in the box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety & Legal Information
- "Spotify" card
More details on the Marshall Stanmore Multi-room
Classic Marshall Design: The Stanmore Multi-Room wireless audio speaker features a classic Marshall design, with a vintage-looking front fret, gold-colored metal details, and the iconic script "Marshall" logo.
Two-Way Stereo Speaker: The Marshall Stanmore Multi-Room wireless audio speaker houses two 0.75" dome tweeters and one 5.25" cone woofer, powered by a 3-channel Class D amplifier rated at 15W x 2ch + 45W x 1ch (for a total of 75W). The Stanmore boasts well-balanced audio with clear midrange and extended highs for a sound that is both articulate and pronounced. The speaker has a frequency range of 50 to 20,000Hz.
Bass Port: The Marshall Stanmore Multi-Room wireless audio speaker features a Bass Reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for higher efficiency and deeper bass response.
WiFi Certified: To enjoy Chromecast built-In, Apple AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and Multi-Room functionality, you will need to connect the Marshall Stanmore to your wireless home network. The Marshal Action wireless audio speaker is equipped with dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) for a high-performance wireless network connection. Wireless network setup is done through the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.1+), as well as the Marshall Multi-Room app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+).
Multi-Room App: The Marshall Multi-Room app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) unlocks the full potential of the Marshall Wireless Multi-Room System. Use the Marshal Multi-Room app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to group or ungroup Marshall Multi-Room wireless speakers, gain access to thousands of Internet radio stations, save and select up to seven presets, along with adjusting treble and bass settings.
- Multi-Room/Multi-Source: The Marshall Multi-Room app lets you wirelessly play different audio sources (Internet Radio, Chromecast built-in Apps, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, Bluetooth or Aux) in each room or bring it all together and play the same audio source or song throughout the entire home on all speakers. Up to 5 Marshal Multi-Room wireless speakers (including the Acton, Stanmore, or Woburn) can be setup on the same WiFi network.
- Internet Radio: Through the Multi-Room app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, the Marshall Stanmore Multi-Room has the ability to access to thousands of internet radio stations around the world.
- Source & Presets: From the Multi-Room app, you can select source (Internet Radio, Chromecast built-in apps, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, Bluetooth or Aux) and presets (1-7). Presets can be internet radio stations, specific chromecast built-in apps, or Spotify Connect playlists.
- Audio Control: Volume, Bass, & Treble can all be adjusted through the Multi-Room app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you wirelessly stream certain music apps from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the Marshall Stanmore Multi-Room speaker system. Unlike Bluetooth, Chromecast Built-in works over WiFi so you can connect more than one device to the Action Multi-Room speaker at a time and control what's playing from anywhere in the house on your mobile device. Because the music apps are streamed from the cloud, you get crystal clear sound and your mobile device's battery won't drain as fast compared to Bluetooth.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, Google Play Music, YouTube Music, and more (some services will require paid subscriptions, purchases, and fees). You can even mirror exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet to the Stanmore Multi-Room speaker. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app to start wirelessly streaming to the Stanmore Multi-Room speaker. You can even adjust the volume or change the song, right from your mobile device. And with Chromecast built-in, you can keep using your phone to send texts, answer calls, and scroll through social media without disturbing your music.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.1+). Using the Google Home app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Google Assistant (Optional): Purchase a Google Assistant enabled speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Action Multi-Room speaker & the Google Assistant enabled speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in is a cloud based function and requires that the Action Multi-Room speaker and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device are on the same wireless network, and have access to the Internet.
Apple AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) or from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the Stanmore Multi-Room speaker system, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the speaker or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
Note: AirPlay requires that the Action Multi-Room speaker and your Apple iOS device or computer are on the same wireless network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Marshall Stanmore Multi-Room speaker from within the Spotify app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. You can also make and receive phone calls while listening to music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the speaker system for uninterrupted music enjoyment.
Bluetooth 4.2+EDR: The Marshall Stanmore features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.2+EDR) with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP), playback control (AVRCP) and multi-device pairing (SSP). The Stanmore can be paired with a variety of Bluetooth-enable devices; including Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and more. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 33'.
- Wireless Music Streaming: You are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the Marshall Stanmore Bluetooth speaker. You can use the controls on top of the speaker to skip to the previous or next track. All other playback control, search functions, and song/artist information will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) allows devices to be paired without entering PIN codes. The Stanmore remembers the last 8 paired devices and connects automatically to the last paired device when turned on again. Only one device can be connected to the speaker for playback at a time.
- This speaker does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marshall Stanmore.
Dual Aux Inputs: In addition to wireless Bluetooth connectivity, the Stanmore is outfitted with analog inputs for a wired connection. The Stanmore is fitted with a top-panel stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for connecting practically any portable audio device with an analog output or headphone jack. There is also a stereo RCA input on the back-panel for connecting an external audio device, like a CD player. If you want to connect a turntable, you will need a turntable with a built-in phono preamp or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
Top-Panel Controls: Volume, Bass & Treble, and Source can be adjusted quickly and easily with the analog control knobs located on the top-panel of the speaker, allowing you to select which source you want to playback and fine tune the speaker system to your personal preference. There are also Previous/Next Track buttons and a Multi/Single button located on the top of the speaker.
- Source & Preset Selection: The 3-way rotary dial on top of the speaker lets you select from three source inputs (WiFi/Bluetooth/Aux) and choose between seven presets (1-7). With seven presets, the speaker gives you immediate access to your favorite Spotify playlists, Internet radio stations, or podcasts.
- Audio & Playback Controls: Three rotary dials on top of the speaker control Volume (0-10), Bass (-12 to +6dB @ 180Hz), & Treble (-12 to +6dB @ 3kHz). The 3-way rotary knob can also be used to start playback and pause your music. There are also Previous Track and Next Track buttons on top of the speaker to skip songs.
- Multi-Mode Button: The push-button labeled "Multi/Single" lets you switch from playing music on a single Marshall Multi-Room speaker or grouping up to five Marshall Multi-Room wireless speakers together for playback of the same audio source or song. One speaker acts as the server and distributes audio to the other speakers in Multi-Mode. If the server speaker leaves the Multi-Mode group, the audio stops playing on all speakers.
Power Requirements: The Marshall Stanmore Multi-Room wireless audio speaker comes with a 6' AC power cord which plugs into the back of the speaker and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The Marshall Stanmore speaker is not battery powered.
- Input Voltage: 100-240V
- Frequency: 50-60Hz
- Power Consumption: 90W (max), 1.6W (standby)
Note: The speaker automatically turns off after 20 minutes of inactivity. However, the speaker remains connected to the network
Automatic Firmware Updates: The Stanmore Multi-Room wireless speaker is automatically upgraded to the latest software release as long as the speaker is connected to WiFi. This is done in the background and requires no manual work.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?