About the Anthem MRX 540
Elite 5.1-channel surround sound
Elite 5.1-channel surround sound
Anthem's MRX 540 is exactly the kind of receiver I'd consider buying I were building a high-performance home theater in a smallish-sized room. It has everything I look for — fantastic A/V processing, robust amplification, and exceptional room calibration — without extra channels of power that would go unused.
The MRX 540's large front-panel display gives you easy-to-read status updates at a glance.
Built for high-quality content
This upscale receiver is an especially good choice if you plan to play premium content through it — like 4K Blu-ray discs, or uncompressed music files from a high-resolution library.
The MRX 540 is engineered to squeeze every drop of detail out of these high-res formats, and that's why it's worth considering over more modestly priced 5.1-channel receivers.
Intuitive web-based controls
One of the features that makes Anthem's home theater receivers stand out from the crowd is their user-friendly control interface. Access it from a web browser on your computer or smart device, and easily adjust audio settings, rename sources, and more.
Advanced room calibration with ARC Genesis
The MRX 540 includes the company's own highly regarded ARC (Anthem Room Correction) Genesis software — one of the industry's best room-correction platforms.
ARC Genesis measures the acoustics of your room with the included microphone, and then fine-tunes the output of your system to best match the unique sonic characteristics of your space. The resulting sound is clear, smooth, and ultra-detailed, with tight bass and impactful dynamics.Note: You'll need to install the free ARC Genesis software on your Mac® or PC prior to calibration.
Power and processing:
- 5-channel Class AB amplifier
- rated at 100 watts per channel
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- supports 5.1.2 Atmos setup with optional external power amp
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- ARC Genesis speaker calibration system helps fine-tune your system to best match your room's acoustics
- requires installation of free ARC Genesis software on a Mac or PC prior to calibration
- audiophile-grade 32-bit/768kHz DAC (digital to analog converter)
- large front-panel display gives you easy-to-read status updates at a glance
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- free future firmware update will include support for Spotify® and Roon
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music® (via free future firmware update)
- Google Chromecast for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 7 in, 2 out
- all HDMI connections support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- HDMI board is upgradeable to accommodate possible future hardware updates
- digital audio inputs: 3 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo RCA audio inputs
- 7.2-channel RCA preamp outputs
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized front-panel headphone jack
Warranty and other info:
- intuitive browser-based control interface
- easily adjust audio settings, rename sources, and more
- supports smartphones, tablets, and computer browsers
- support for IP-based third-party remote control systems
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1414000037
What's in the box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- 70" AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-MRX 2)
- "AAA" batteries
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- Calibration mic
- Mic stand
- Mic adapter bracket
- 10' USB-C to USB-A cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Product Registration Card
- Note For Online Manual
Anthem MRX 540 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Anthem MRX 540
Features & specs
5-Channel Amplifier with ALM: The Anthem MRX 540 AV receiver employs a 5 channel amplifier that is rated at 100 watts per 2 channels driven @ 20-20kHz, into 8-ohms, at 1.0%THD. Anthem's exclusive ALM (Advanced Load Monitoring) circuitry protects the amplifier's sensitive output devices by constantly monitoring temperature, current, and voltage to ensure optimum long-term performance. ALM is totally non-invasive; it is not in the signal path and only engages in the most extreme circumstances to protect the amplifier from damage by maintaining the safe operating area of the output devices.
Audiophile-Grade Components: The Anthem MRX 540 AV receiver utilizes audiophile-grade components; such as premium 32-bit/768kHz DAC (AKM AK4458VN) for high-resolution sound, Next-Gen DSP (digital-singal processing) with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X capability, proprietary circuit topologies for the lowest distortion, and robust power supplies that deliver maximum performance. All this results in long-termm quality, satisfaction, and reliability.
ARC (Anthem Room Correction) Genesis Beta: ARC Genesis Beta (for Windows PC and Mac) is a proprietary calibration tool that automatically shapes the acoustic signature of your speakers for the best possible sound quality in your unique listening space. ARC Geneis Beta allows you to quickly and accurately optimize the performance of your audio equipment to better suit the unique parameters of your room. By listening to your room's acoustic signature, ARC Genesis Beta can tune your equipment to correct for the performance-robbing effects (reflections, resonances, standing waves, etc.) of the various surfaces and other obstacles in your room. ARC Genesis Beta is easy to use, and just a few simple steps can optimize your speakers for your unique listening space. ARC Genesis Beta is one of the most sophisticated, accurate, and detailed digital room correction technologies available today.
- Lab Standard: ARC digitally compares a room's acoustic signature to that of the lab standard. It measures the response of each speaker relative to the listening area. Then it uses advanced algorithms to eliminate the negative effects of the obstacles in the room, adjusting response and correcting phase effects. When ARC removes the obstacles, what's left is the lab standard performance.
- System Requirements: ARC Genesis requires an ARC or PBK Microphone, a Mac OS X (10.12+) or Windows (7/8/8.1/10) computer, and an ARC or PBK compatible audio product. One USB port is required. If you are using a laptop computer, check power settings and battery meter before starting to ensure the procedure is not interrupted.
Note: The new MRX Series receiver requires ARC Genesis Beta Version 1.3.19. All previous ARC Versions (including ARC Genesis, ARC Mobile, ARC 2, and ARC) will not work with the MRX Series receiver. Also, please make sure to check for updates using the unit's front-panel display or Anthem's Web User Interface to make sure the unit is on Network Module Version 1.54.106 before using ARC Genesis Beta Version 1.3.19.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Anthem AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
Note: Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS:X, and DTS:HD will require an external power amp (sold separately), since the MRX 540 only has 5 channels of amplification.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Anthem MRX 540 receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats; including Dolby Atmos with Dolby Surround, plus DTS:X with DTS Neural:X and DTS Virtual:X. The MRX 540 can support speaker configurations up to 5.1.2 channels using an external power amplifier (sold separately) for the Height channels.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Now you can enjoy this same award-winning technology at home with the Anteham MRX 540 that lets you configure a Dolby Atmos speaker system for the ultimate home theater experience.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch, or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS:X: DTS:X is a next generation audio codec from DTS that leverages object-based audio to enable new audio experiences in immersion and interactivity. DTS:X places sound where it would occur naturally in space, creating the most lifelike, multi-dimensional audio experience ever. Free from channel restrictions, sound can be placed and moved to where you would hear it in the real world. Because DTS:X doesn't require any specific speaker layout, you can arrange your home theater system however you want it. With DTS:X you're in control of your listening experience. That hard-to-hear line in a movie can be lifted out of the background sounds for a more personal entertainment experience.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. DTS Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X bridges the gap between DTS:X and the reality of so many consumers' homes, allowing you to enjoy multi-dimensional sound regardless of room size, layout, or speaker configuration. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
IMAX Enhanced Technology: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theatres will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show your more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified TVs must be at least 65" with support for HDR10 and dynamic, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV (65"-up) or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV surround receiver or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV surround receivers, projectors, and soundbars must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
AnthemLogic: The MRX 540 receiver incorporates Anthem's proprietary AnthemLogic sound technology to enhance 2-channel stereo audio sources; there are two modes - Cinema & Music. AnthemLogic-Cinema lets you experience home theater surround sound from any 2-channel audio source. A large, enveloping and dynamic listening experience is created making 2-channel movies sound more "home-theater" like. AnthemLogic-Music enhances the stereo listening experience without detracting from the stereo soundstage and with no echo or reverberation effects. To ensure that the purity of the stereo music soundstage is in not compromised, the center-channel is not used.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV surround receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack.
Audio Adjustments: The Anthem MRX 540 offers a variety of audio adjustments to make your listening experience more enjoyable.
- Dolby Volume: Dolby Volume makes content with large differences in volume easier to listen to by analyzing it and intelligently adjusting two things - level and frequency response. It does this automatically & continually. In doing so, the volume setting is taken into account as is our hearing's declining sensitivity to the lowest and highest frequencies relative to the midrange as their levels drop. The result is that the perceived frequency response remains constant while making quieter parts of the content more listenable.
- Volume, Trim, Tone Adjustments: The Anthem MRX 540 allows you to configure the preamplifier's Power-On Volume, Maximum Volume Level, and Mute Level, as well as Bass & Treble. The unit has a volume range of -90dB to +10dB. If your analog and digital audio inputs have varying degrees of volume causing spikes in volume as you change between inputs, you can normalize these by setting your input trim per input.
- Dynamic Range Control: This features allows you to control the difference between the softest and loudest passages, but only on multichannel Dolby Digital soundtracks. You can select between three DRC modes - Normal, Reduced, or Late Night.
Note: By default the Volume Scale set to "dB" which is common for most modern preamplifiers. dB references the volume trim of the incoming signal where "0.0 dB" is the unaltered signal coming in from a source, while this is the standard it can be confusing for new users. The "Percent" setting offers a volume scale of 0-100 which is standard for computers, televisions and most sources.
Analog Audio Inputs/Output: The Anthem MRX 540 receiver features five analog stereo audio line-level input jacks. This unit does not offer a Phono input, so you will need to purchase a phono preamp (sold separately) to connect your turntable; or your turntable will need a built-in phono preamp. The receiver also has an analog stereo line output. This analog stereo line output is a 2-channel version of the receiver's selected input source with a fixed output level. It can be used with a headphone amp which has its own volume control.
Digital Audio Inputs/Output: The Anthem MRX 540 receiver is equipped with three optical (toslink) digital inputs, one optical (toslink) digital output, and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs. The optical output provides a pass-through of the receiver's optical or coaxial digital inputs. The digital inputs/output support up to 5.1ch 24-bit/96kHz audio, including Dolby Digital & DTS.
Speaker, Preamp, and Headphone Outputs: The Anthem MRX 540 features 5ch speaker outputs. 7.2ch preouts, and a 1/4" headphone output.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The AV receiver is outfitted with binding post terminals for all speaker output channels (Front, Center, & Surround). The binding post terminals can accept up to 10AWG speaker wire, pin-connectors and banana plugs (single only). The front channels support 6-8 ohm speakers, while all other channels will accept 8 ohm speakers.
- 7.2Ch Pre-outs: The receiver is equipped with with 7.2ch pre-outs (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back/Height, and Dual Sub) to connect external amplifiers. The dual subwoofer outputs are parallel and not discrete. The Surround Back/Height preouts and an external amplifier are required for Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD, and DTS:X.
- Front-Panel Headphone Jack: The Anthem MRX 540 receiver is fitted with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connection of a set of headphones. You can configure the receiver to mute its speaker outputs & pre-outs when headphones are plugged in or allow the speaker outputs & pre-outs to remain active even when a set of headphones are plugged into the front-panel headphone jack.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring seven HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs, the MRX 540 incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling. The MRX 540 also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content. Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: The MRX 540 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output (pass-through only). It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI
- HDCP 2.2: All of the receiver's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All of the receiver's HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- The AV receiver's HDMI board can be upgraded in the future for support of HDMI 2.1 and 8K video (no ETA).
- The AV receiver does not offer upscaling. This unit does not contain any analog video inputs or outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The receiver supports HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Dual HDMI Outputs: The AV receiver's two HDMI outputs are parallel, so the same HDMI audio/video signal is output through both and can be used simultaneously (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs). Both HDMI outputs support up to 4K video. Multichannel audio is down-mixed to 2ch on the parallel HDMI output.
AV LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing if the TV also supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
Standby Pass-Through: When the MRX 540 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's not need to turn on the AV receiver in order to switch HDMI sources. You can select from HDMI 1-7 inputs, or the last HDMI input selected.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Anthem MRX 540 offers a wired or wireless connection to your home's network and ISP (Internet Service Provider). It features a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection, and features built-in Dual-Band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 g/n) for a wireless network connection. By connecting the MRX 540 receiver to your home's network and ISP, you gain access to AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, Spotify Connect (Future Firmware Update), and Roon (Future Firmware Update).
Note: Make sure to install the included antennas if you plan on using a wireless WiFi connection.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV surround receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV surround receiver. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV surround receiver.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Anthem MRX 540. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Anthem MRX 540 receiver.
- Online Music & Internet Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the Anthem MRX 540. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio Distribution: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers and components (sold separately) throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Google Assistant Voice Control: Purchase a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The MRX 540 receiver and your Google Assistant smart speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
- A separate Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) is required for voice control. You will also need to agree to Google's Privacy Statement to use voice control.
Spotify Connect (Future Firmware Update): If you subscribe to Spotify and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Marantz AV surround receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Roon Ready (Future Firmware Update): Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across all other Roon enabled audio devices in your home. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also watch your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the Roon enabled devices around your house. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Anthem MRX 540 or other Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Anthem AVM m70. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or turnkey appliance (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Anthem MRX 540 features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer) to the AV receiver. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track can be done from the included remote control. Multiple Bluetooth source devices can be paired to the receiver, but only one can be connected and used for playback at a time.
Note: The included antennas must be installed if you want to enjoy Bluetooth wireless audio streaming.
On-Screen Display (OSD): The Anthem MRX 540 AV receiver offers an on-screen menu system via its main HDMI output. Anthem's on-screen user interace has been re-designed for easy setup. The clean and simple interface of the OSD makes setup and other operations extremely user friendly.
Backlit Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Anthem MRX 540 AV receiver. The remote offer backlit keys, so the buttons are easily visible even in a dark room.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Anthem AV receiver supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. With HDMI-CEC, turning on one component in the system can turn on the rest of the system, same with turning one component off. Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
Remote App: Download the Anthem AV app (for Apple iOS 7.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) for remote control of the AV receiver from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The Anthem AV app offers similar functionality and control of the AV receiver to that of the factory IR remote. Your compatible mobile device must be on the same network as the Anthem MRX 540 receiver.
Note: This app is not recommended if a custom IP or RS-232 control system is or will be controlling the AV receiver; it is normally best to use one type of network control to prevent conflicts.
Web User Interface: Anthem's new Web User Interface is now built-in to their MRX Series AV receivers. Using a phone, tablet or laptop, you can easily access any function or setting and make changes on the fly. Power the main or second zone on and off, adjust volume, change audio modes or tweak channel trims for a perfect surround sound experience. Web UI can also be used to calibrate speaker delays and levels and configure network settings/control options. Source devices can be renamed, simplifying set up by enabling the elimination of unused inputs. Installers can import and export files to make remote management simple and convenient.
Custom Integration Remote Connections: The Anthem MRX 540 features external control and IP control capabilities for easy customization and compatibility with third-party integration solutions. It offers IP control capability for major third-party control devices including Control4, Savant, RTI, Crestron, Elan, and URC.
- IP Control: The AV receiver offers IP control through its RJ-45 Ethernet jack.
- IR Input: The 3.5mm IR input jack allows you to control the receiver without line-of-sight access using an optional IR remote control system (sold separately) and locating the remote sensor in sight.
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The MRX 540 has three 3.5mm trigger outputs to send a 12V/40mA DC turn-on signal to others components that accepts a 12V trigger input, such as an external power amp.
- RS-232C Port: The AV receiver's RS-232C port provides seamless integration with a wide range of third-party home automation control systems (such as AMX or Crestron).
Auto Off: When there is no input signal (for 5, 10, 20, 60, 120, or 360 minutes), the MRX 540 will automatically turn off. You can also disable this function.
Auto Firmware Updates: New firmware & software will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware & software updates can be done automatically over a wired or wireless network connection. You can check here for available firmware/software updates.
Note: There is also a rear-panel USB (type-A) for service only.
2 questions already asked