About the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier
Enjoy maximum sound quality from digital and analog sources
Enjoy maximum sound quality from digital and analog sources
My friend and colleague, Dave Bar, is one of Crutchfield's most knowledgeable and seasoned audiophiles. So when he invited me over to his house recently to check out a new piece of gear, he didn't have to ask twice! As we took our seats in his cozy listening room, I noticed that the new face in his equipment rack belonged to the Anthem STR integrated amp.
It's a muscular multi-tool of a component, with a complete set of digital audio inputs: Toslink optical, coaxial, balanced AES/EBU, and asynchronous USB. It also provides four analog inputs, plus separate phono inputs for MM (moving magnet) and MC (moving coil) cartridges. These days, Dave listens primarily to 2-channel digital music sources. We listened to a mix of discs played on his Oppo Blu-ray player, and digital files played from his MacBook Pro.
Powerful, "grippy" sound
The STR is one of the most powerful integrated amplifiers Crutchfield has ever carried. Its power amp section is conservatively rated at 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms, or a hefty 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms. The STR can even deliver a whopping 550 watts into a difficult 2-ohm load, which would likely cause most integrated amps and receivers to give up and shut down. These numbers indicate tremendous current output capability, which is just what most high-performance speakers crave.
Dave had described the STR's sound as "powerful" and "grippy," and I could immediately hear what he was talking about. The STR's amplifier section has a high "damping factor," which means it exerts precise control over the stop-start motion of speaker drivers. I heard tighter, cleaner midbass from Dave's stand-mounted monitor speakers than I'd heard previously. And the STR's preamp section seemed to be delivering a wider-range signal to his powered sub, because I was hearing greater bass extension from it, as well.
The Anthem STR includes a full array of analog and digital inputs, including both moving magnet and moving coil phono inputs.
Tame your system's biggest obstacle: your room
Anthem's advanced ARC (Anthem Room Correction) speaker calibration system is one of the best we've heard. It effectively tailors the STR's sound to your space, correcting for problems caused by sound reflecting off of the walls, floor, ceiling, and furniture in your specific room. With the effects of these obstacles removed, your system can deliver clearer, more natural sound.
Run the included room correction software on your Windows® PC, and measure multiple positions in your room with the included microphone. ARC takes advantage of your computer's processing power for the best possible results, showing you detailed graphs of the response curve and correction applied to each speaker in your system.
For quick, convenient room correction, download Anthem's free ARC Mobile app for iOS®. ARC Mobile lets you calibrate your system using the internal microphone of your iOS device or an optional calibrated mic that connects to your headphone jack for advanced room correction.
- 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at <1% THD
- 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at <1% THD
- 550 watts per channel into 2 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at <1% THD
- 2-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
- large precision-wound triple-shielded toroidal transformer with oversized filter capacitors for stable, noise-free operation
- Advanced Load Monitoring (ALM) circuitry constantly monitors the amp's temperature, current, and voltage to ensure optimum long-term performance
- ARC (Anthem Room Correction) speaker calibration kit (software, USB microphone, and telescopic stand with boom included)
- ARC software requires a Windows-based PC
- free ARC Mobile app allows you to run ARC from compatible iOS® devices
- premium 32-bit/384kHz differential-output digital-to-analog converter
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical and 2 coaxial (supports PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a computer (supports PCM audio sources up to 32-bit/384kHz, DSD 2.8 and 5.6 MHz
- if using a Windows PC, a USB DAC driver must first be downloaded from Anthem's website and installed
- AES/EBU digital audio input with balanced XLR connection
- 4 sets of unbalanced stereo RCA inputs
- 2 phono inputs for connecting a turntable (one for use with moving-magnet cartridges, one for moving-coil cartridges)
- set of balanced stereo XLR inputs for connecting a compatible source
- fixed-level stereo RCA preamp outputs for connecting a headphone amp or recording device
- dual stereo RCA subwoofer outputs (selectable mono or stereo operation)
- built-in bass management, in conjunction with ARC, is uniquely engineered for seamless subwoofer blending
- custom-designed binding post speaker connectors
- Ethernet port for Anthem Room Correction, software installation, and control
- lets you operate the receiver from a web browser control screen on a PC connected to your home network
- rear-panel USB Type A port (factory use only)
- rear-panel USB mini B port for software installation and ARC via PC
- RS-232 input, remote (IR) input and 12 volt-trigger output for use with external controllers
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in its audio menu the preamp's DAC cannot decode multichannel Dolby® Digital signals
- remote control
- detachable power cable
- designed, engineered and manufactured in Canada
- 17"W x 6-13/16"H x 17-9/16"D
- weight: 40 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1412000009
What's in the box:
- Stereo integrated amplifier
- AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- USB-B to USB-A cable
- miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 3.5mm Microphone cable
- USB microphone
- Mic clip
- Telescopic stand w/ boom
- Ethernet cable
- Operating Manual
Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier reviews
This is the first new gear I have bought in a long time. Easy purchase from Crutchfield. Unit came double boxed in thick cardboard. Easy set up but needed to connect to the internet to update firmware. Ran the ARC software which makes a Hugh improvement. I was very skeptical about this but it really makes the speakers work in my small room. Unit has worked flawlessly as I was concerned after observing it running some form of embedded windows OS. MC stage has enough gain for my ART9 cartridge. I would buy this again the build quality is very good and the remote is a quality piece.
Pros: Ease of use for a non tinkerer. Sound quality and versatility
1 of 1 found this helpful
Beautiful, transparent sound -- worth the price. Still working to find the best results using ARC. I don't have access to a Windows PC, so had to use the included 3.5mm equipped mic, and an iPhone. I believe there's a bug which prevents the ARC iOS application from being able to access the microphone input for the entire calibration process. As a result, I often received the error about "signal too low". Nevertheless, even if I never get ARC to work, the results are beyond my expectations.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Great Crutchfield service. Amp was on backorder so I didn't expect delivery for 2 weeks and it arrived 4 days later. I was debating between a Mcintosh ma5300, Luxman L-505uXII and the Anthem STR integrated. I decided upon the Anthem because of the power 200w/channel and the ARC feature. After the initial unpack and hook up I noticed a very clear midrange and tighter bass that was not present with my previous system. Overall I thought it is a very nice amp. I used it for a few days before trying the ARC feature. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. The ARC feature takes this amp from a "very nice amp" to "the most amazing integrated amp I have ever heard". I am hearing bass notes I never heard before in music I've been listening too for 30 years. Everything top to bottom seems more concise and defined. The sound stage is wide and has a nice depth. In some ways it's like hearing my old music for the first time. I just sit and smile. Stringed instruments and horns are truly amazing. I know I made the right decision because neither Luxman nor Mcintosh have anything like ARC. Best audio purchase I have ever made. Amazing doesn't describe well the sound my speakers now produce. Am I a happy customer Oh Yeah!!!!
Pros: sound quality, ARC feature, ease of use, flexibility
Cons: display could show more things like wattage and a freq graph instead of just showing the volume level. More of a wish list than a true con.
8 of 8 found this helpful
I must say that Crutchfield's service was great as I got the amp very quickly after placing the order. This is used in a room where I do music production off a Mac so I crucially needed a sound equipment that tightens and heightens but doesn't artificially color the sound. The device itself was just as advertised. I knew going in and had been a bit disappointed that the device had no headphone jack nor switched AC outlet, both of which are severely missed. But that didn't affect my overall appreciation of the amp itself. The Anthem has a tight and crystal clear sound and it's 200 watt are very well matched my old (read ancient) Sonus Faber Conceertino speakers and REL Sub Woofer. It doesn't have those unrealistic highs and lows that some products do. I monitor in a near field so the ARC part isn't at all useful to me, but from what I've read if someone does use this amp in a larger room that would be very, very handy. Overall though I'm very happy with the amp.
Cons: no headphone jack and no switched AC
9 of 13 found this helpful
Wonderful amplifier! When I connected my Heresy III speakers, it sounded like a thick blanket had been lifted off of them. They sounded much better in every way. Two weeks after I got the amp, I got could not pass on a deal that gives you all that you need to install head unit. The instructions on how to connect the steering wheel control adapter were kind of tricky but after going over them a couple of times I got it installed and it works great. I got my speakers used, about a year old, so they were well broken in. I brought my wife and adult daughter in for a listen (her oldest is 19). Those speakers with this amp is nothing short of amazing! My daughter picked out the first song she wanted to hear. When it finished, she stated "I feel like I just heard it for the first time." Nothing much else was said that night. The next evening she texted me: "After listening to music through your speakers everything else is terrible. It's like I don't hear real music... it's depressing." Additional comments in our conversation: "It was like hearing music for the first time. I felt it." "It's like ohh this is what music sounds like." That was before I ran ARC (Anthem Room Correction) on the amp. That took it up to completely another level. Sounded to me like everything improved tremendously. Absolute clarity, tighter, deeper bass, better imaging. But I didn't trust my ears. I wanted a second opinion. I got the ladies in the next evening, and my observations were unanimously confirmed. I know I am not using very many of the capabilities of this amp, but I am extremely happy with it.
Pros: -Clean, brilliant sound. -ARC makes everything better, ARC is everything they say it is.
1 of 2 found this helpful
I think there are not enough reviews of this product out there. I have had receivers, integrated amplifiers, and multi-channel separates. I always wanted to try to love the 2 channel sources with them, but I never could be satisfied with them. They sounded sterile and too much like "files." Caveat- I listen to music way more than I do movies. My audio set-up is the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier, Spatial Audio M3's Turbo S, Anti-Cables Level 2.1 speaker wire, and a Elac 2050 subwoofer. My Spatials are very sensitive at 94 dB. They need a very quiet, clean watt(not all watt qualities are created the same) amplifier to power them, and the STR is it. I hear guitar strums and a deep black background. It is a feat in itself after all of my listening to many electronics. The strums just linger in the air. It's amazing. You truly get what you pay for, and an amazing quiet, clean watt integrated with room correction is really worth that 4.5 K. The Spatials sounded great with all of the other electronics, but with the STR, they sound so lovely, controlled, and ALIVE as if the Artist and his instrument was in your living room. If you wanna do anything; do it right.
Pros: Life Gigantic Headroom and Soundstage I can hear a true "voice" Powerful Built like a Tank in Canada Anthem/Paradigm has a very reputable audiophile reputation
Cons: I wish that the display would have the watt output meter like their STR Power Amplifier separate.
3 of 5 found this helpful
Anthem did not hold back, It engineered produced an awesome integrated amplifier which delivers an excellent sound, control, and will be the beating hear of any 2 channels setup. From the excellent packaging, included accessories, to setup, all is top notch. Talking about power, this baby delivers, and in spades, it would drive any speakers, at any load, w/o any hiccups with lots of headroom to spare The quality of the construction is amazing, the sound is so sweet and pure, and yet detailed and articulate with lots of strength. This amp will drive any speakers with the all the strength, control and finesse they deserve,... In short it is an amazing product, easily updated via Network connection. The awesome ARC is a splendid addition, and the included professional level microphone takes the ARC to the highest level possible. This amp has really made my set up shine, driving a pair of Klipsch La Scala II's and an R-115SW subwoofer, the ARC just made everything work together beautifully. I only wished it has a way of streaming Spotify or Tidal. but hopefully in a future update? Buying from Crutchfield, as always, is a world class experience with their knowledgeable representatives and quality of service and delivery. No regrets, This one is a keeper.
Pros: ARC, Phenomenal sound and room correction software. Professional level. Enormous power, lots of reserves, and head room, makes every small musical detail stand out, very revealing and articulate. Sound: detailed, sweet, clear, musical and engaging. +++++++ IOS app, can be used for ARC control, and remote app as well very handy.. Update software via Internet connection, easy. Beautiful display, large and clear, can be see from across the room Handy, high quality remote, not too
Cons: Continue Pro: Amazing DAC and phono features. Multiple inputs , beats separate components Sub integration, flawless.!! 2.1 Setup: You can't do better for the price, period. Powers a pair of Klipsch La Scala's II's and R-115SW Sub. Excellent quality construction, packaging and delivery. Only one caveat, no streaming online musical included, shame, b/c it already has an internet connection. Tidal or Spotify connect would have been excellent addition, maybe in a future s
10 of 10 found this helpful
More details on the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||200|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||400|
|Minimum Impedance||2 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||120|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||PCM, DSD|
|Total Analog Inputs||4|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
STR Series Integrated Amplifier: The STR Integrated Amplifier has a well-earned reputation for being incredibly stable under difficult, low-impedance speaker loads. Reliability and performance is maintained using carefully selected components, many of them engineered exclusively in-house at Anthem. Short path design, superior DAC, and redundant systems (with Advanced Load Monitoring and other exclusive protective technologies) ensure that peaks are surmounted effortlessly, and guarantee a long life of high performance.
Massive Toroidal Power Supply: The STR Integrated Amplifier delivers incredible dynamics thanks to a massive, conservatively rated power supply, designed with high rail voltages. The advanced-generation toroidal power transformer minimizes stray magnetic field radiation and ensures ultra-quiet performance. The resulting power is pure, clean, low-noise; capable of effortlessly and instantly reproducing the full dynamics of even the most complex audio recording.
High Current, High Output Amplifier: The massive power supply operates in harmony with the high-current, high-output amplifier section to continuously produce an astounding 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms, and 550 watts per channel into 2 ohms (20-20kHz w/ <1%THD). Peak production is effortless and instantaneous with even the most challenging material. The use of multiple (8) bipolar output devices dramatically reduces distortion while ensuring extreme linearity, extensive bandwidth, and stress-free reliability.
Advanced Load Monitoring (ALM) Circuitry: Anthem's non-invasive Advanced Load Monitoring (ALM) circuitry protects the output section of the STR integrated amplifier by constantly monitoring temperature, current and voltage to ensure optimum long-term performance. ALM is totally non-invasive; it is not in the signal path and only engages in the most extreme circumstances to protect the amplifier from damage by maintaining the safe operating area of the output devices.
Upsampling DAC & Digital Audio Inputs: The Anthem STR integrated amplifier includes a high-resolution DAC with support for 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz digital audio sources. It will even up-sample lower resolution digital audio sources to 24-bit/192kHz. The Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier is designed with the shortest possible signal paths, and differential digital to analog circuitry to cancel artifacts and keep noise to a minimum. The integrated amp offers USB, AES/EBU, coaxial, & optical digital audio connectivity.
- Asynchronous USB-B Input: Your Windows PC or Mac computer can also be connected to STR Integrated Amplifier's asynchronous USB-B input. Stereo PCM (up to 32-bit/384kHz) and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz) formats are supported through this connection. Simply connect your computer and use its media playing software to have music playing through the Anthem STR. If using a Windows PC, a USB DAC driver must first be downloaded from Anthem's website and installed. Mac OS does not require a separate USB driver. This high-quality USB audio input transforms digitally stored audio from your Windows or Mac computer into warm, natural analog sound.
- Digital Audio Inputs: The STR Integrated Amplifier is equipped with two optical (toslink) digital inputs, two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs, and one AES/EBU (XLR) digital input. These digital inputs support 2ch PCM audio (up to 24-bit/192kHz). They are not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or multichannel PCM.
Analog Audio Inputs: The Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier is outfitted with balanced, unbalanced, and phono analog inputs. Unwanted changes in volume when switching to or from an analog source can be prevented by adjusting the analog input levels from -20 to 20dB in 0.5dB increments. This is especially useful for some XLR sources that produce higher than typical output level, and for the phono inputs since cartridge output levels vary considerably between models.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Anthem STR integrated amplifier is equipped with a single pair of balanced XLR analog inputs and four sets of unbalanced stereo RCA inputs. A balanced XLR connection offers the highest analog transmission quality, particularly over long cable lengths because it rejects noise and hum pickup.
- Separate MM & MC Phono Inputs: Anthem has also taken into consideration the resurgent popularity of vinyl long-playing records, and has included separate inputs for moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges, with the phono section completely shielded to maintain signal purity. The MM input is suitable for turntables using moving-magnet and high-output moving-coil phono cartridges. The MC input uses input impedance and gain tailored to low-output moving-coil cartridges. There is also a ground wire terminal on back of the integrate amp to connect your turntable's ground wire to prevent excessive hum.
Heavy Duty Binding Posts: Anthem's custom-designed, oversized binding posts give you the flexibility you need for large-gauge speaker wire (up to 8AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Insulated, non-conductive, color-coded jackets make easy, fast, and solid connections with no interference or ghosting.
Front & Line-Level Outputs: The Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier features variable preamp outputs for connection of an external power amplifier. It also offers fixed line-level outputs suitable for a headphone amp or recording device.
Dual Subwoofer Outputs: The STR Integrated Amplifier is outfitted with two subwoofer outputs & bass mangement giving you more options for subwoofer configuration. Use one subwoofer or two for both channels, or two independent right-and-left channel specific subwoofers. The bass management in conjunction with ARC is uniquely engineered for seamless subwoofer blending, achieving an incredibly accurate and lifelike performance.
- Crossover Frequency: The subwoofer output crossover frequency can be set from 25 to 160Hz in 5Hz steps. If you will be using the personal computer version of ARC, you do not need to select the crossover frequency since it will be set while running the program.
- Polarity & Phase: Certain subwoofer positions can cause bass frequency cancellation. When the front speakers and subwoofer are out of phase or misaligned, they work against each other resulting in weak and dislocated sounding bass. This can be corrected by adjusting Phase and Polarity. As a general guide, set Polarity to Normal if the subwoofer is near the front speakers and to Inverted if the subwoofer is near the back of the room. Compare Normal to Inverted and use the setting that provides louder bass. Continue fine-tuning the crossover region using the Phase control which provides adjustment from 0 to 180 degrees in 5 degree increments.
Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is a proprietary digital signal processing system that allows you to quickly and accurately optimize the performance of your audio equipment to better suit the unique parameters of your room. By listening to your room's acoustic signature, ARC can tune your equipment to correct for the performance-robbing effects (reflections, resonances, standing waves, etc.) of the various surfaces and other obstacles in your room. ARC is easy to use, and just a few simple steps can optimize your speakers for your unique listening space. ARC is one of the most sophisticated, accurate, and detailed digital room correction technologies available today. There are 3 ways to calibrate your system using ARC or ARC Mobile.
- Mobile App: Download Anthem's ARC Mobile app to your Apple iOS 9.2+ device. This method uses your iOS device's built-in microphone for measurements. Not compatible with Android.
- Mobile App + ARC Universal Mic: Download Anthem's ARC Mobile app to your Apple iOS 9.2+ device, select "ARC Universal Microphone" on the app, and connect the ARC Universal Microphone to your iOS device for measurements. Not compatible with Android.
- Windows PC App: Download and install Anthem's ARC software to your Windows PC. Connect either the calibrated ARC PC Microphone or ARC Universal Microphone to your Windows PC, and connect the STR integrated amplifier via USB or LAN. After running your measurements, you can customize the results, set up multiple configurations, and print correction curve graph. Not compatible with Mac.
Note: ARC digitally compares a room's acoustic signature to that of the lab standard. It measures the response of each speaker relative to the listening area. Then it uses advanced algorithms to eliminate the negative effects of the obstacles in the room, adjusting response and correcting phase effects. When ARC removes the obstacles, what's left is the lab standard performance.
Listener Position: Through the Listener Position setting, sound coming from all speakers is coordinated to reach the listening area at the same time. This way, proper imaging is achieved. The channel with the greatest distance setting will have no delay while channels with shorter distance settings will be delayed accordingly. Distances can be set between 0 to 29' Distances may be set before or after running ARC (ARC does not set distances).
Listening Modes: The Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier offers four listening modes to choose from - Stereo, Mono, Both Left, or Both Right.
- Stereo: Left channel audio is output from the left speaker while right channel audio is output from the right speaker.
- Mono: Blends the left and right channels into both speakers which can be useful when playing mono records with a stereo cartridge.
- Both Left: Sends the left input to both speakers and can be useful when playing a mono record with a stereo cartridge when the left groove wall has less wear and sound better than the right groove wall.
- Both Right: Sends the right input to both speakers and can be useful when playing a mono record with a stereo cartridge when the right groove wall has less wear and sound better than the left groove wall.
Volume & Level Adjustments: The Anthem STR allows you to configure the integrated amplifier's Power-On Volume, Maximum Volume, and Mute Level.
Front-Panel Display: The large Thin Film Transistor (TFT) display on the front-panel can be seen from across the room, and gives you surprisingly easy operation over the STR Integrated Amplifier via front-panel and remote control. Each input can be renamed, up to 10 characters long for easier identification on the front-panel display. The display's brightness can be set to Max, High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Remote Control: In addition to front-panel control, the Anthem STR integrated amplifier comes with an IR wireless remote control. The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the STR Integrated Amplifier. The integrated amp also offers IP & system control through its LAN & RS-232 ports, as well as provides a 12V trigger output and IR input.
- IP Control: The integrated amplifier offers IP control through its RJ-45 Ethernet wired network connection.
- RS-232C Port: The integrated amp's RS-232C port
provides seamless integration with a wide range of third-party home
automation control systems (such as AMX or Crestron).
IR Input: The 3.5mm IR input jack allows you to control the integrated amplifier without line-of-sight access using an optional IR remote control system (sold separately) and locating the remote sensor in sight.
- 12V Trigger Output: The integrated amplifier has a 3.5mm trigger output to send a 12V/40mA DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger.
Auto Off: When there is no input signal for 5/10/20 minutes or 1/2/6 hours, the integrated amplifier will automatically turn off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier comes with a detachable AC power cord (IEC 2-prong).
Crafted In Canada: The Anthem STR integrated amp is designed, engineered, & manufactured in Canada. From the idea stage to the final manufacturing specs, Anthem has complete control over the whole intricate process. Anthem takes pride in this personal attention to detail, and use only the highest quality components, many designed and engineered in-house.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked