About the Helix DSP PRO
The ultimate in sound tuning
The ultimate in sound tuning
If you're a car audio enthusiast who's particular about sound quality, then the Helix DSP PRO processor should become an integral part of your system. This deceptively simple little box works with your PC to open up a world of sonic adjustments that will maximize the performance of almost any car audio system. The DSP PRO processes its digital signals at 64-bit resolution and 96 KHz sampling rate so you'll get very high fidelity sound along with virtually no noise or distortion.
Powerful and flexible
Once you've downloaded the application and software from Audiotec Fischer (Helix's parent company), you plug your personal computer or laptop into the processor's USB port. A detailed control panel will appear on your computer screen that lets you set virtually every tunable audio parameter to achieve the best musical fidelity possible in your car. The visual display shows the resulting sound curve of each setting, so you'll know for sure how your adjustments are affecting audio output.
DSP PC-Tool main screen
Switcher, EQ, time alignment, and more
The Helix DSP PRO processor accepts up to eight inputs, which you can assign to up to ten output channels, perfect if you're running separate tweeters, mids, woofers, and subs. Each channel features its own output volume and a 30-band paragraphic equalizer with precise 0.25 dB adjustment steps that give you incredible control over the sound. The paragraphic EQ works like a graphic equalizer, but with adjustable center frequency and bandwidth for each slider, so you can get in between the preset bands to smooth out any rough spots. The time alignment feature lets you correct for each speaker's placement in your car, so the sound from each speaker arrives at your listening position at the same time, centering the stereo image for your sitting position.
Detailed filter section for fine tuning
You can configure almost any type of high-pass and low-pass filter on each channel in order to fine tune the sound of each speaker. Not only can you adjust a crossover's frequency, but you can also choose the slope, its "filter characteristics" (see below), and adjust its "Q-factor," which adds a bump at the crossover point for certain settings. Filters and EQ can be set separately for each channel, or channels can be linked together for common settings.
Save your settings
Don't worry, you won't have to drive around with your computer plugged in. You simply download your settings to the Helix DSP PRO, after saving them on your laptop. The Helix DSP PRO can store two settings at once, so you can toggle between them to see which sounds better.
DSP PRO input panel
Digital and analog inputs
The Helix DSP PRO can use up to 8 preamp or speaker-level inputs to get its signal from your vehicle's system. It also features your choice of a coax or an optical digital input so you can play music directly from your compatible device and maintain the highest sound quality possible. When you connect both analog and digital inputs, the Helix DSP PRO normally prioritizes the digital input if active, then switches to the analog source if not.
If you get the optional URC-2A remote control, you can manually switch between the analog and digital inputs. You'll need to get the URC-2A remote in order to manually control your digital source's volume.
Power Save Mode
Many newer vehicles feature accessory circuits that remain on for several minutes after the engine shuts off, so an aftermarket amplifier could possibly drain your vehicle's battery. The Helix DSP PRO solves this problem by turning off the amps connected to its remote output after not sensing music for 60 seconds. The DSP PRO will turn the amps back on within a second after sensing the signal.
Installation note: Because of its high gain potential and digital connections, setting up this processor improperly could damage your speakers. Please read the instruction manual carefully before you connect your Helix DSP PRO.
DSP PRO control and output panel
- digital signal processor
- DSP adjustments and settings made via computer (Windows only) or optional remote control
- download DSP PC-Tool Software 3.0 from Audiotec Fischer
- Asahi Kasei A/D converters, Analog Devices D/A converters
- 8 assignable inputs
- inputs: 8 RCA preamp, 8 speaker-level, 1 optical SPDIF, 1 coax SPDIF
- 10 preamp outputs (6 volts RMS)
- channel settings can be separate or linked together
- time alignment in 3.5 mm increments
- 30-band paragraphic EQ with 0.25 dB steps and fine tuning
- adjustable high- and low-pass filters (20-20,480 Hz)
- selectable filter slopes (6, 12, 18, 24, 30 dB/octave)
- selectable filter characteristics
- Butterworth: sharp transition, suitable for most applications
- Bessel: gradual transition, suitable for smooth speakers, but not subs
- Linkwitz: recommended for high-end speakers only, not subs
- Chebyshev: very sharp transition, useful as high-pass for tweeters or low-pass for subs
- Self-Define: selectable Q-Factor, 12 dB/octave slope only
- adjustable Q-Factor in Self-Define mode (0.2-2.0) increases signal at crossover point
- phase adjustment:
- switchable 0/180 degrees on front and rear channels
- adjustable 0 to 360 degrees on sub channels in 22.5-degree increments
- AutoSet real-time analyzer simplifies equalization
- input and power connections from select factory radios simplified with an EPC5 Easy Plug Cable and a Helix vehicle-specific harness (sold separately)
- includes 57" USB cable
- ground lift switch
- optional URC-2A remote control available
- optional DIRECTOR touchscreen remote control available soon
- Helix Extension Card (HEC) Slots for feature upgrades available in the future from Audiotec Fischer
- dimensions: 7"W x 1-5/8"H x 5-15/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HXPRODSP
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Helix DSP PRO
2 questions already asked