About the KEF EGG
An all-around great speaker
Outstanding computer speakers (laptop not included).
An all-around great speaker
I took KEF EGG speakers home to audition, and I was really reluctant to return them at the end of the week. These versatile speakers have a sophisticated look and a high-performance sound to match.
I can stream music directly from my smartphone via Bluetooth, or plug the speakers into my computer's USB port and play high-resolution music files. I can use them with a small flat-panel TV for better sound from my movies and TV shows. I can even use the EGG's stereo minijack input to play songs from my ancient iPod®.
High-fidelity music from your computer
The EGG system also has a USB Type B input for connecting your PC or Mac®. This direct digital connection bypasses your computer's sound card and lets the EGG's built-in high-performance digital-to-analog converter (DAC) take over. This ensures cleaner, more accurate sound from your digital music files and streaming sources — especially from high-resolution files like those sold through HDtracks.
A unique sound system
The EGG system uses KEF's award-winning Uni-Q™ driver array. The central tweeter dome is nestled inside the driver, decoupled from the outer cone. This allows the tweeter and the driver to move independently. And because both have the same center point, the result is greater definition and accuracy in the highs, as well as the mid-range.
Great for TV, too
The speakers also feature an optical digital audio input, so you can run digital sound from your TV directly to the EGGs — an ideal setup for watching videos in a bedroom or guest room. A subwoofer output lets you add a powered sub to make movie soundtracks really come to life.
- built-in Bluetooth streams music wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or other compatible device
- Bluetooth 4.0 including aptX technology for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
- built-in 24-bit/96kHz DAC
- optical digital audio input (2-channel PCM only)
- USB Type B input for connecting your Mac® or PC (no software to install)
- stereo minijack input for portables
- 3.5mm output for connecting optional powered subwoofer (sub and cable not included)
- requires AC power (AC adapter provided)
- speaker dimensions: 5-7/16"W x 12-11/16"H x 6-7/16"D
- weight: 9.48 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # EggBlue
What's in the box:
- 2 Powered speakers (attached 6' cable on one speaker)
- 2 Grilles (installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 6.5" DC cord)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2032 3V battery installed)
- 5' miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 58" Optical-to-minijack toslink cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Information & Warranty Information booklet
KEF EGG reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF EGG
Uni-Q Driver Array: The KEF EGG is based on KEF's patented Uni-Q driver configuration, in which the tweeter is mounted at the acoustic center of the midrange cone. With both acting as a single point source, the sound is dispersed widely and evenly throughout the listening area allowing you to experience superbly defined and perfectly balanced stereo imagery. The Uni-Q driver array is made up of a 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter and a 4.25" aluminum cone woofer.
- 0.75" Tweeter: The 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter
incorporates an optimized dome shape, a tangerine waveguide, and an internal
vent for outstanding high frequency performance.
- Optimized Dome Shape: The geometry of the tweeter dome matches that of the midrange cone to avoid disrupting the waveform. By smoothening high frequency response, this helps to account for the detailed and strikingly natural-sounding treble.
- Tangerine Waveguide: The segmented waveguide encourages the sound to radiate spherically for wider, more even dispersion so that everyone in the room enjoys the same superb sound quality.
- Internal Vent: A large internal vent prevents potentially distorting high pressures from building up behind the dome in the critical vocal region, preserving all the nuance and fine detail of the original performance.
- 4.25" Midrange: The 4.25" midrange utilizes an aluminum
cone with a damping ring and Z-flex surround for excellent midrange detail
- Aluminum Woofer Cone: Being stiffer than conventional materials, the aluminum midrange cone maintains its rigidity to ensure smoother, clear response. The difference is especially noticeable in vocals, with every detail faithfully reproduced.
- Damping Ring: Midrange response is exceptionally fluid and transparent because the driver incorporates a damping ring to eliminate the breakup modes that otherwise give the midrange a hard edge.
- Z-Flex Surround: A well as allowing the midrange cone its full extension, KEF's ingenious Z-flex surround guides the sound from the tweeter across the surround without any disturbance or secondary radiation. Treble response is clearer and sweeter.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The KEF EGG features a bass reflex cabinet with a front-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response.
Twin Class D Amplifier: The KEF EGG employs a Twin Class D 50W amplifier to independently drive the tweeter and woofer for exceptional sound quality and very low distortion at any volume level.
High Performance DAC: The KEF EGG utilizes a high performance 24-bit/96kHz DAC for music that sounds rich, natural, an detailed - just the way the artist intended.
Bluetooth 4.0 w/ aptX: With its built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0), you are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop and other Bluetooth source devices to the KEF EGG speaker. You'll still need to control music playback and view song/artist info from your Bluetooth source device.
- aptX: In addition to support the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the KEF EGG offers support for aptX. With aptX, you can stream CD-quality sound from aptX compatible devices (like Android OS 4.0+). Now your wireless music sounds rich, full, and natural with less compression.
- SSP: With SSP (Simple Secure Pairing), Bluetooth source devices can be paired with a single press of a button and without entering PIN code. Only one device can be paired and played back at a time with the EGG.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the KEF EGG.
miniUSB Port: Via the KEF EGG's miniUSB port you can enjoy lossless high resolution sound from your Windows PC or Mac computer's music library. a 5' miniUSB-to-USB cable is supplied to make connection between the EGG and your computer. The EGG supports music files up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Analog/Digital Combo Minijack: The EGG is outfitted with a analog/digital combo minijack (3.5mm) that will accept analog and 2ch PCM digital audio signals, up to 24-bit/96kHz (does not support Dolby Digital/DTS). The combo-jack to connect a portable audio device with a headphone jack, or use it to connect the EGG to your TV's optical digital output. A 58" optical-to-minijack toslink cable is included.
Remote Control: The included IR remote offers wireless control of the KEF EGG, as well as your connected Windows PC or Mac computer. The remote provides Power On/Off, Source Select, Volume Up/Down, & Mute for the KEF EGG speaker (these same controls are also found on the "Right" speaker). It also provides Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track control for music playback from your connected computer.
Sub Out: The KEF EGG is fitted with a minijack (3.5mm) subwoofer output for connecting an external powered subwoofer.
Tethered Cable: The speakers are labeled "L" (left) and "R" (right). The "Right" speaker contains the AC power port, the miniUSB port, the combo-jack, the sub out, and tethered speaker port. The "Left" speaker features an attached 6.5' cable which connects the two speakers together; it plugs into the "Right" speaker's tethered speaker port.
AC Power Adapter: The KEF EGG is powered by standard household current using the supplied AC power adapter and AC power cord.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked