About the KEF LS50 Meta
Innovative bookshelf speakers
Innovative Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) absorbs high-frequency vibrations to eliminate distortion in KEF LS50 Meta speakers.
KEF hit a home run in 2011 when they introduced LS50 bookshelf speakers. In the intervening years, they've learned new tricks that make the KEF LS50 Meta even more impressive.
Revolutionary sound absorption
This speaker gets the "Meta" part of its name from KEF's new and innovative Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT). It's a highly complex, mazelike structure that's tuned to absorb unwanted sound coming from the rear of the tweeter. The resulting sound is clear, purer, and more detailed.
Careful cabinet design
The LS50 Meta's extremely rigid cabinet uses smooth, curved surfaces that help the sound radiate outward without distortion. It also features a patented offset, flexible port for reduced midrange coloration. As with previous LS50 models, the cabinet use a grille-less design to show off the cool-looking driver array.
A room-filling "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places each speaker's tweeter in the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone. This lets the LS50s create a detailed and accurate three-dimensional sound image. This makes the "sweet spot" (the ideal listening position) much larger. Sit wherever you like — you'll have fantastic sound throughout your room.
Maximize your listening experience
LS50 Metas can deliver truly incredible sound — in the right setup. We recommend 100 watts or more from a high-performance power amp or integrated amp.
Proper speaker placement is also crucial to getting the best performance out of the LS50 Metas. Placing them on a pair of color-coordinated KEF S2 speaker stands helps eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections. Read our article on stereo speaker placement for positioning and set-up tips.
And few things add impact to your listening session like solid bass. Add a powered subwoofer to your stereo listening setup for hard-hitting, musical low end.
- Uni-Q® driver array technology makes your entire room sound like the "sweet spot"
- 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter
- innovative Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) absorbs high-frequency vibrations to eliminate distortion
- Driver Performance Optimisation for enhanced sonic performance and reduced distortion
- frequency response: 79-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 40-100 watts
- high-current amplification from a high-performance power amp or integrated amp is recommended for best performance
- curved baffle design ensures smooth soundwave dispersion with minimal reflection
- two-way bass-reflex cabinet with patented offset, flexible port for reduced midrange coloration
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- high gloss finish
Dimensions and warranty:
- 7-15/16"W x 11-15/16"H x 11"D
- weight: 17.2 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LS50METAT
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Foam port plugs
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Registration Card
KEF LS50 Meta reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF LS50 Meta
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||79-28k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||25-30|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT): KEF teamed up with the Acoustic Metamaterials Group (AMG) to use Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) in their LS50 Meta loudspeaker. Metamaterials are specially developed structures that use existing materials in such a way that they exhibit new, desirable properties that are simply not found in naturally occurring substances. A truly revolutionary technology, MAT is a highly complex maze-like structure, where each of the intricate channels efficiently absorbs a specific frequency. When combined, the channels act as an acoustic black hole, absorbing 99% of the unwanted sound that comes from the rear of the tweeter, eliminating the resulting distortion and providing a purer, more natural acoustic performance.
12th Generation Uni-Q Driver Array: The LS50 Meta bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes KEF's patented 12th Generation Uni-Q driver configuration, in which the tweeter is mounted at the acoustic center of the midrange cone. With both acting as a single point source, the sound is dispersed widely and evenly throughout the listening area allowing you to experience superbly defined and perfectly balanced stereo imagery with a wide "sweet spot". Using simulation and analysis tools and decades of accumulated in-house knowledge, KEF engineers developed a 12th Generation Uni-Q driver array, with a new cone neck decoupler and motor system that is precisely shaped to reduce high-frequency distortion in the mid-frequency driver. The result is reduced coloration, less distortion and a sound that is more transparent and life-like than previously possible. The same can also be said of bass performance, where LS50 Meta exceeds the expectations of a modestly proportioned bookshelf and standmount speaker to deliver room-filling sound with deep, articulate bass.
- 1" Aluminum Vented-Dome Tweeter: The geometry of the tweeter dome matches that of the midrange cone to avoid disrupting the waveform. By smoothening high frequency response, this helps to account for the detailed and strikingly natural-sounding treble. The 1" aluminum vented-dome tweeter utilizes a Tangerine Waveguide to encourage the sound to radiate spherically for wider, more even dispersion so that everyone in the room enjoys the same superb sound quality. A large internal vent prevents potentially distorting high pressures from building up behind the dome in the critical vocal region, preserving all the nuance and fine detail of the original performance.
- 5.25" Aluminum Cone Woofer: The 5.25" woofer uses an Aluminum cone that is light, stiff, and smooth for natural midrange and midbass sound. As well as allowing the midrange cone its full extension, KEF's ingenious Z-flex surround guides the sound from the tweeter across the surround without any disturbance or secondary radiation. Treble response is clearer and sweeter.
Advanced Cabinet Design: From the precision molded curved baffle to the solid, reinforced cabinet, every inch of LS50 Meta has been designed to perform. Every aspect of LS50 Meta has been considered for acoustic benefits and from a design perspective. The low-diffraction curved front baffle is subtly mirrored by the gently radiused rear panel, where both the port exit and speaker terminals have been elegantly recessed and softened visually.
- Rigid Cabinet Bracing: The LS50 Meta’s extremely rigid cabinet is optimized for the best performance, with smooth curved surfaces that help radiate sound out across the baffle without any interference. Inside the cabinet, cross bracing and Constrained Layer Damping (CLD) combine to deaden internal vibrations. The result of such meticulous attention to detail is that LS50 Meta produces the lowest coloration of any speaker in its class.
- Robust Curved Baffle: LS50 Meta's baffle is engineered from an injection-moulded Dough Moulding Compound (DMC), usually found in the automotive industry. The LS50 Meta's low-diffraction, curved baffle is precision modelled around the Uni-Q driver array. It’s smooth curved surfaces help radiate sound out across the baffle without any interference from hard edges, which cause diffraction. The result is cleaner, more precise sound.
- Flexible Port Design: Using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), the port flare and profile of LS50 Meta's patented off-set port is calculated to delay the onset of turbulence, and the flexible port walls prevent resonances from coloring the midrange. This leads to improved clarity, with exceptional depth and detail. Two foam port plugs are included to seal the cabinet if the bass is too "boomy" because of speaker placement.
Note: No grilles are included with the KEF LS50 Meta.
Binding Post Terminals: On the back of the KEF LS50 Meta's speaker cabinet is a pair of heavy-duty binding post terminals to connect your speaker wire (sold separately). The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only).
Mounting & Placement Options: The KEF LS50 Meta bookshelf loudspeakers can be simply mounted on a stand, shelf, table top, or other flat surface. The KEF S2 speaker stand (sold separately; see Accessories Tab) is custom-designed specifically for the LS50 Meta bookshelf speaker. Eight self-adhesive rubber feet (four for each speaker) are included to provide a secure non-slip, protective mounting surface. The feet add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker.
- The LS50 Meta bookshelf loudspeaker should be mounted 25" to 30" from the floor.
- The speaker should be spaced 7.875" to 19.6875" from the rear wall, and 19.6875" to 39.375" from the side wall.
- A pair of LS50 Meta speaker should be spaced 6' to 10' apart, and "toed" in slightly (0-15 degrees) to the main listening area.
Note: There is no included bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
13 questions already asked