About the KEF LS50
Exquisite sound, fifty years in the making
Exquisite sound, fifty years in the making
KEF has spent decades refining the sound of their reference-level bookshelf speakers. The LS50s are the culmination of their hard work, marking 50 years of speaker innovation. This stylish pair of bookshelf speakers creates engaging, room-filling sound. Its sleek, grille-less design is available in two high-gloss finishes that will stand out in your room.
A room-filling "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places each speaker's tweeter in the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone. This lets the LS50s create a detailed and accurate three-dimensional sound image. This makes the "sweet spot" (the ideal listening position) much larger. Sit wherever you like — you'll have fantastic sound throughout your room.
KEF LS50 bookshelf speakers leverage 50 years of expert design and craftsmanship to create a phenomenal listening experience.
My experience with the LS50s
One of the best parts of working at Crutchfield is listening to the variety of speakers that come through our doors. It's fair to say that we geek out about it. So I was thrilled when I had the opportunity to test the award-winning LS50 bookshelf speakers.
I listened to a dozen high-resolution tracks that revealed crystal-clear detail and pinpoint imaging. "Billie Jean" from Michael Jackson's Thriller album had that instantly recognizable 80s glossy production texture and feel.
When we landed on the ballad "Blue in Green" from Miles Davis' seminal Kind of Blue album, coworker JR Stoffel remarked on the detail you could hear in Jimmy Cobb's delicate brushwork.
Are these speakers right for you?
Proper speaker placement is also crucial to getting the best performance out of the LS50s. Placing them on a pair of custom-designed LS50 speaker stands helps eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections. Read my article on stereo speaker placement for positioning and set-up tips.
If you'd like personalized advice on matching these speakers with an amp, give one of our advisors a shout for a free expert recommendation.
Add a sub for better bass
If you love hard-hitting thump with your music, consider adding a powered sub to complement the LS50s. This doesn't mean you need to blast your room with bass, but it does give you that extra bit of low-frequency impact that helps re-create the live show experience. My powered subwoofer buying guide has tips on choosing the right one for your room and taste in bass.
- reference-level performance in a "mini monitor" design
- ideal for a high-end stereo music system
- Uni-Q® driver array technology makes your entire room sound like the "sweet spot"
- 5-1/4" magnesium/aluminum alloy woofer
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter
- frequency response: 79-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- for deep, hard-hitting bass consider adding a powered sub to complement the LS50s
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
- constrained layer damping prevents cabinet rattling and vibrations
- curved baffle design ensures smooth soundwave dispersion with minimal reflection
- bass-reflex cabinet with elliptical rear port for accurate, musical bass
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- high gloss piano white finish
- 7-15/16"W x 11-15/16"H x 10-15/16"D
- weight: 15.8 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LS50WH
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Foam port plugs
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Registration Card
KEF LS50 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF LS50
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Composition||Magnesium/aluminum alloy|
|Frequency Response||79-28k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||18-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Uni-Q Driver Array: The LS50 bookshelf loudspeakers feature KEF's patented Uni-Q driver configuration, in which the tweeter is mounted at the acoustic center of the midrange cone. With both acting as a single point source, the sound is dispersed widely and evenly throughout the listening area allowing you to experience superbly defined and perfectly balanced stereo imagery with a wide "sweet spot". The Uni-Q driver array is made up of a 1" aluminum vented-dome tweeter and a 5.25" magnesium/aluminum alloy cone woofer.
- 1" Aluminum Vented-Dome Tweeter: The geometry of the tweeter dome matches that of the midrange cone to avoid disrupting the waveform. By smoothening high frequency response, this helps to account for the detailed and strikingly natural-sounding treble. The 1" aluminum vented-dome tweeter utilizes a Tangerine Waveguide to encourage the sound to radiate spherically for wider, more even dispersion so that everyone in the room enjoys the same superb sound quality. A large internal vent prevents potentially distorting high pressures from building up behind the dome in the critical vocal region, preserving all the nuance and fine detail of the original performance.
- 5.25" Magnesium/Aluminum Alloy Woofer: The 5.25" woofer uses a magnesium/aluminum alloy cone that is light, stiff, and smooth for natural midrange and midbass sound. A well as allowing the midrange cone its full extension, KEF's ingenious Z-flex surround guides the sound from the tweeter across the surround without any disturbance or secondary radiation. Treble response is clearer and sweeter.
FEA-Designed Cabinet: The FEA-designed cabinet with its constrained layer damping bracing and precision engineered curved baffle, along with the elliptical flexible port all work in concert to prevent cabinet vibration and resonances that produce unwanted sound coloration for clear, spacious, distortion-free sound.
- Curved Baffle: The curved baffle is shaped so that the sound waves spread from the drivers with minimum reflection from the edges which gives a very nice spacious sound. The curvature also improves the rigidity of the baffle which reduces vibration and sound coloration.
- Constrained Layer Damping: The constrained layer damping which is between the brace and the enclosure walls and also the front baffle, prevents the cabinet from vibrating and radiating sound. This helps to prevent coloration in the midrange.
- Flexible Port Tube: The rear-firing port tube has a flexible wall which allows midrange sound that is travelling down the port tube to escape back into the cabinet and prevents longitudinal resonances; which can otherwise radiate and cause midrange coloration. The port tube also has very carefully flared walls to avoid the chuffing noises that you can hear when you get air turbulence inside the port. Two foam port plugs are included to seal the cabinet if the bass is too "boomy" because of speaker placement.
Note: The LS50 bookshelf loudspeakers do not include grilles.
Binding Post Terminals: On the rear of each speaker cabinet is a pair of heavy-duty binding post terminals to connect your speaker wire (sold separately). The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only).
Mounting Options: The KEF LS50 bookshelf loudspeakers can be simply mounted on a stand, shelf, table top, or other flat surface. The KEF GFS-524 LS50 speaker stands (sold separately) are custom-designed specifically for the LS50 bookshelf speakers. The speakers should be mounted 18" to 28" from the floor and spaced 6' to 10' apart. They should be "toed" in slightly to the main listening area. Eight self-adhesive rubber feet (four for each speaker) are included to provide a secure non-slip, protective mounting surface. The feet add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: There are no keyhole slots or threaded inserts to accommodate wall mounting.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked